• Published 16th Feb 2013
  • 2,770 Views, 42 Comments

WHY DO I HAVE HOOVES?! - Cydon



A magical mishap leaves Rainbow dealing with a new inhabitant of Equestria.

  • ...
9
 42
 2,770

Chapter 4 A Little Picnic

Chapter 4 A Little Picnic

I awoke to Rainbow getting Tank his breakfast. With a playful smile placed the bowl down before nuzzling the tortoise affectionately. "Who's my favorite Tortoise? You are!"

'Mornin Rainbow, having fun with Tank?'

"Ahh!" Rainbow jumped back flaring our wings defensively and smacking Tank's bowl with an outstretched wing and spilling some lettuce. "Don't do that while I'm distracted you... you startled me." I could feel our heart beating rapidly as she spoke but chose to ignore it instead of irritate her further.

'Didn't Applejack say something about a picnic today?' I questioned while Rainbow picked up the spilled lettuce.

"Yeah! Me and my friends have a picnic every week." Rainbow rinsed off the lettuce and put it back into Tank's bowl.

'So I get to see all of your friends?'

"Yep."

'Cool so who is going to be there?'

"Twilight, unless she forgot again, Pinkie, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Rarity."

'I remember seeing Fluttershy yesterday but I wasn't paying any attention. Who is Rarity?'

"Rarity is a unicorn fashion designer, she hates dirt and is a total drama queen. But she is also one of most generous ponies ever, she made all of us dresses for the Grand Galloping Gala for free."

'Wow that must have cost her a lot.'

"Maybe but she refused to let us pay her. Anyway we should get going it's almost time for the picnic." With one final nuzzle from Tank she flew out the door and into the open sky. To describe the sensation you get to be able to fly, to be able to feel the air in your feathers and on your face. To have the freedom to go anywhere you want including nowhere at all. Well, that's the best description your going to get. Rainbow flew around Ponyville and landed on a cloud near a hill where several colorful blobs were walking towards a large tree.

Rainbow brought the cloud down with us and placed it near the tree. "Hey guys!" Rainbow called out to the approaching group.

"Well shoot, you ain't late this time Rainbow."

"Hey I'm not always late!"

'Late huh?'

Rainbow growled. "Shut up."

"Actually Rainbow you usually are. Last week you didn't show up until we were all heading home, and the week before that-" Twilight said while using her magic to unfold the picnic blanket.

"I get Twilight." Rainbow said rubbing the back of our head with a hoof.

"Good morning Rainbow." A small voice called out from below us.

"Hey Fluttershy, sorry about leaving early yesterday but I had to tell Twilight something important." Rainbow started as the white unicorn began levitating the picnic items from the wicker baskets each of them wore.

"Oh that's okay I don't mind."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, it's alright I know you wouldn't leave like that without a good reason."

"Rainbow darling what did you have to tell Twilight that was so important?" The white unicorn who I assumed was Rarity said while adjusting a pillow on her big red couch. 'Where did she get that?'

"I uh." Rainbow stuttered trying to come up with the words to describe the current situation.

"She was helping me with a spell and needed to tell me the unintended side effects that had shown up after an undetermined amount of time after the spells completion." The other unicorn gaped for a moment before regaining her composure.

"Side effects? Twilight I do hope you weren't testing something dangerous on Rainbow." A squeak came from Fluttershy's direction as the yellow pegasus darted behind the sturdy apple farmer.

"No, of course not. It was just a long distance communication spell."

"Oh? And did it work? I would love to be able to easily chat with my parents while they are on vacation."

"Well, only kind of. It brought someone just not who we wanted. And he kinda can't leave." Twilight said getting quieter and quieter until she reminded me of Fluttershy.

"...." Everypony stopped setting up the picnic to stare at the lavender unicorn as she shrunk into the ground.

"Everypony I want you to meet Kevin." Twilight said as she pointed her hoof to us. The others stared at us with looks of confusion clearly on full display as Twilight continued. "The spell pulled him into Rainbow's mind where he is currently trapped until I can finish the return spell." Pinkie with a massive grin that should not fit on her face but somehow does anyway bounced up to us and shook our hoof with a strength unheard of for her small frame.

"Nice to meet you again Kevin!" Pinkie shouted as she released our hoof still slightly numb from the experience.

'Hi Pinkie.'

*gasp* "I could throw you a party! But what would I call it?" Pinkie went over to the corner of the blanket muttering possible names for a party.

"Kevin huh? Well I reckon as long as you can be nice to Rainbow your alright with me."

"Yes darling I quite agree with dear Applejack."

"Um that's nice." Fluttershy squeaked as she changed hiding spots quickly darting behind Twilight.

"Fluttershy I'm still me, Kevin is just in here to watch." Fluttershy peeked warily from behind Twilight and came out slowly.

"Okay."

"Oh and before I forget here." Twilight used her magic to levitate an amulet over to us.

"What is it?" The amulet was a green gem resting inside of a silver frame. The chain dangled in the air before us as Rainbow grabbed it eyeing it warily.

"This amulet is able to read your mind and broadcast desired thoughts out loud. I enchanted it myself." Twilight said smiling and proud of her work.

"So it will let Kevin talk?"

"Hopefully." Rainbow shrugged and put on the amulet. "To use the amulet just focus on it and speak in your mind."

'Well here goes nothing.' I focused on the amulet and tried to speak. "Testing testing one two three." Everypony except Twilight jumped at the gruff voice coming from the amulet.

"It kinda sounds like him." Rainbow said scratching our head.

"It might need a little adjustment." Twilight said sheepishly as her horn glowed and the amulet lifted up in a purple glow before flashing brightly and settling back down. "Try it now."

"Uh shoop de woo?" The voice that came out sounded almost like mine although a little ghostly.

"Well, that's real eerie Twi but it works." Applejack said scratching her head as she readjusted her hat.

"I found it in a book while I was researching the return spell and the enchantment seemed easy enough."

"Thanks Twilight I can actually talk to people er.. ponies now."

"Yeah yeah it's really neat and all but can we eat now I missed breakfast for this." Our stomach growled to accentuate her point.

"Of course darling." Rarity's horn glowed and the remaining picnic baskets opened up as several dishes were lifted from inside. Fritters, sandwiches, and a pie were lifted from the basket as Pinkie pulled cupcakes, cookies, and a cake from behind her back. With a watering mouth Rainbow grabbed a slice of pie and took a large bite.

Applejack started chuckling lightly earning a look from Rainbow. "Whas tho wunny?"

"That's for yesterday Rainbow." Applejack said still chuckling.

"Huh?" She mumbled through the pie, and then it hit. The heat of the spiciest thing in Equestria, rainbow extract. 'HOLY MOTHER THAT IS SPICY!' As smoke began billowing from our ears Rainbow yelped and dove for the lemonade pitcher to quench the fires raging on our tongue. After downing the pitcher the heat became manageable, most likely due to the fact that out tongue was numb.

"I can't theel my tongue." Rainbow managed our tongue was lolling out the side of our mouth as she mumbled.

"Well played Applejack, well played indeed."

"Why thank ya, but it weren't my idea it was Granny's." Applejack

"I don't see the problem! This pie is fantastic!" We turned to look at Pinkie as she shoved the rest of the pie into her mouth. Her face turning the colors of the rainbow before she belched out a small flame narrowly missing us.

"Be careful Pinkie! You almost singed my perfectly coiffured mane." Rarity squealed as she levitated a small mirror to check for damage while she bounced her curls.

"Oops sorry." Pinkie muttered apologetically.

"No harm done, all is forgiven." Rarity said putting the mirror away. "Now, may we continue enjoying this marvelous spread?" Agreement came from all around as we dug in.

___________________________________________________________________________________

"Ugh I couldn't eat another bite."

"Me neither."

"Oh oh can I?"

"Pinkie do you ever get full?"

"Hmm..." Pinkie stopped her bouncing in mid air to think and completely defying several laws at the same time. "Nopey dopey!" She happily chirped before resuming her bounce.

"Go right ahead Pinkie saves me the trouble of taking it home." Applejack said with a chuckle.

"Whoopee!" Pinkie shouted as she lifted all of the remaining food and shoved it into her mouth, gulping it down in one bite as Pinkie's stomach extended far beyond normal means to accommodate it.

"I'd ask how you did that but I get the feeling I don't want to know."

"It's best not to ask when it comes to Pinkie."

"Point taken." I said as Pinkie belched causing her distended stomach to return to normal. "So if Rainbow is a weather mare and Applejack is a farmer and Twilight is a librarian. What do the rest of you do?"

"Pick me! Pick me! I want to go first."

My ghostly chuckle was mildly disturbing to hear out loud but didn't ruin the mood. "How about the pink mare in the front."

"Yes!" Pinkie hoof pumped and bounced happily. "I'm Ponyville's number one party pony! I'm the besterest at baking sweets and treats at Sugarcube Corner too! Okay Rarity your turn!"

"Quite. I am the fabulous owner of Carousel Boutique where everything chic unique and magnifique." Rarity said bouncing her mane in what i'm sure was a flattering fashion.

"But ponies don't normally wear clothes." My eerie voice easily conveyed my confusion of a fashion designer among the nude.

"That's what ah said!" Rarity pursed her lips and harrumphed crossing her forearms and turning away from us. Twilight gave us a light kick and glared us down.

"Uh! I mean, I'm sure you make amazing clothes! Yeah!" Rarity turned back to us.

"Yes I do, the dresses I create are works of art that even the elite of Canterlot clamor for." Rarity had a twinkle in her eyes as she spoke about her work.

"Yeah that's great. Uh what about you Fluttershy?" Fluttershy squeaked at the mention of her name and hid behind her mane. "Um Fluttershy?" When no answer seemed forthcoming Twilight stepped in.

"Fluttershy is the local veterinarian, she takes care of all the animals."

"Really? That must be a lot of work all by yourself."

"Angel bunny helps me." She squeaked barely above a whisper.

"What was that?"

"Angel bunny helps me." She tried again louder.

"That's very kind of him. You know, I used to have a pet."

"You did?"

"Yes, he was a big black labrador, we named him Truck. Ironically it was a truck that made him leave us."

"Oh my."

"You know when I get back home I think I'll get a new dog, seeing Rainbow and Tank makes me miss having a pet."

"Were they nuzzling again?" Applejack deadpanned.

"N..No! I was just uh. Okay fine! But so what!" Rainbow said as a blush began to form.

"Nothin, nothing at all. I just like to see you get all flustered about it." Applejack chuckled. Rainbow groaned
and covered our face with our hooves.

'Hey, don't let em see ya cry.'

"I'm not going to cry!" Rainbow shouted as she flew up into the air and stormed off, a rainbow streak trailing behind. We flew for what seemed like hours, eventually the sun started to go down and we found ourselves hovering over a gorge. With a weary sigh we set down on a nearby cloud with a light *poof*.

'Rainbow listen-'

"Shut up!"

'But I-'

"I said be quiet! I need to be alone right now." 'It's not like I can go anywhere.' Rainbow sighed and lay down on the cloud with one hoof dangling idly over the edge. It was quiet as the sun set and then she started humming it was a gentle tune like a mother's lullaby.

The sunset glowed brightly one last time as she hummed the final notes before it finally sank out of view. The moon began to rise as the stars twinkled into existence one by one. 'Rainbow... that was beautiful.'

"Yeah well don't go telling anypony about that okay."

'But why?'

"It's personal."

'I won't tell anyone.'

"Pinkie promise?"

'I don't have a pinkie any more but yeah of course.'

"No like this." She raised her right hoof. "Cross my heart and hope to fly stick a cupcake in my eye."

'Now that's just silly, but okay. Cross my heart and hope to fly stick a cupcake in my eye.'

"Now I know you can't talk." Rainbow sniffled and rubbed an eye. "My mom used to hum that whenever I was scared. It's all I have left of her now."

'You mean she's?'

"Yes, she went to sleep one night and just didn't wake up the next day. Daddy was devastated, he cut himself off from everypony around him and he died a broken stallion a few months later."

'That's terrible.'

"I've moved on, it was hard but I did."

'What did you do next?'

"I dropped out of flight school and moved to Ponyville with Fluttershy. I don't regret it, I'll never leave my friends they're all I have left." The moon rose silently on its path across the sky. Crickets and other creatures of the night chirped and squeaked as she began humming again. When she finished her breathing slowed as she fell asleep.

'Goodnight Rainbow, sweet dreams.' I watched the moon rise for a few minutes before falling asleep the sound of crickets filling the air.

Author's Note:

POW! Right in the feels. Take that heart.

The amulet Twilight gave them allows Kevin to speak without using Rainbow's mouth to do it.