• Published 16th Feb 2013
  • 2,770 Views, 42 Comments

WHY DO I HAVE HOOVES?! - Cydon



A magical mishap leaves Rainbow dealing with a new inhabitant of Equestria.

  • ...
9
 42
 2,770

Chapter 1 A Quick Spell

Chapter 1 A Quick Spell

"Why do I need to be the one to help with this again?" Rainbow said looking over at her lavender friend. Causing Twilight to roll her eyes and sigh as she explained once again.

"Because Rainbow. You owe me after the last time you crashed into the library." Rainbow Dash, the fastest and most talented pegasus in all of Equestria rolled her eyes and huffed before settling down onto a chair, making sure to sit on it backwards because it's cooler.

"Oh come on! I didn't mean to crash through your window! I said I was sorry!" Twilight brought a hoof to the bridge of her nose and let out an exasperated sigh.

"Rainbow Dash." Twilight said sternly. "You did a lot more damage than just crashing through a window. You destroyed several bookcases dumped hundreds of books onto the floor, smashed the vase my mother sent me last Hearth's Warming And! On top of all of that you somehow managed to catch most of those books on fire!" Twilight ended with a shout. Rainbow flinched back visibly and shrank into the chair. "Look, I'm glad your not hurt and I'm sorry I snapped at you but please help me with this." Twilight looked at Rainbow with pleading eyes before she sighed and her head drooped to the ground.

Rainbow absolutely hated to get emotional but this was Twilight, one of her best friends, she had to do something. Rainbow got up out of the chair and flew over to Twilight putting a hoof on her shoulder. "Hey." She said softly. "Look I'm really sorry, lets just... get it over with." Twilight instantly perked up.

"You really mean it? You'll help me out?" Twilight said with a gleam in her eye. Rainbow looked worried for a moment but covered it up quickly.

"Hehe yeah. What kind of friend would I be if I left you hanging huh?"

Twilight gasped and began hopping around Rainbow with her eyes closed while shouting. "Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes!"

Rainbow rubbed the back of her head with a hoof. "But uh you mind going over it again? I still don't get it." Twilight stopped her excited tirade and in a flash of purple light teleported over to a chalkboard on a nearby wall. Twilight's horn glowed as she levitated a pointer up to the board. Rainbow walked over to Twilight to get a better look.

"Well, after weeks of magical theory I-" Twilight started but was interrupted as a hoof was shoved into her mouth.

"You know I don't speak egghead." Twilight blushed as Rainbow removed her hoof and started again.

"I've worked really hard and I think I've came up with a way to communicate to other unicorns from anywhere in Equestria."

"See that wasn't so hard. But whats wrong with writing a letter and having Spike send it?"

"Ah, but you see this spell will allow you to talk to them as if they were right in front of you. No waiting for a letter to arrive just a quick spell. And Spike can't send letters to just anypony his fire was enchanted by Princess Celestia herself and only goes to her."

"So, you came up with a faster way to send messages to ponies far away?"

"Well yes and no. See what it does is it temporarily transfers someponies spirit to another body."

"Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! You mean I'm going to be possessed?"

"Only kind of, you will still be able to control your actions their will just be somepony else at the reigns too."

"That sounds kind of dangerous."

"Oh I assure you it's perfectly safe and it will only take a minute." Rainbow looked worried but shrugged it off to put on a brave face. If Twilight said it was safe it was good enough for her.

"Fine, whatever, lets do this." Rainbow said waving her hoof dismissively, Twilight clapped her forehooves together as an excited grin spread across her face.

"Excellent now just stand right there and I'll do the rest. Just let me know when you feel something different." Rainbow rolled her eyes again and sat down on the floor. Twilight muttered quietly to herself. "Professor Bones will be so surprised, I told him this would work!" Twilight's horn began to glow, growing brighter and brighter as layer after layer of magic was weaved through her horn. Rainbow was surrounded in a purple aura as she began levitating off the ground. A minute of charging later Twilight released the spell causing a bright flash of light. Rainbow fell back to the ground landing with a thud. The pegasus got back to her hooves quickly shaking her head to clear her vision.

"Ow! Hey! Be careful Twilight." Twilight grinned sheepishly.

"Sorry Rainbow I didn't realize you were up that high. Now to see if it worked." Twilight walked up to Rainbow and used her hoof to raise Rainbow's head to look her in the eyes. "Professor Bones? Are you in there?"

"..." A minute of silence.

"I don't think it worked Twilight." Twilight sighed and let her head sink towards the floor.

"Maybe Professor Bones was right, this is just folly." Rainbow pulled Twilight into a hug.

"Oh come on Twi I'm sure you'll get it next time. I mean you can't get it right the first time all the time, take me for example I have to practice new stunts at least a few times before I get it right." Twilight hugged back and they let each other go.

"Thanks Rainbow, your right! Just because it didn't work doesn't mean it will never work I just need to go back to the drawing board and try again!" Twilight used her magic to erase the chalkboard and started her calculations over again.

"Hey! You can always count on Rainbow Dash!" Rainbow puffed out her chest and struck a pose. Twilight shook her head and rolled her eyes.

"You can go back to whatever you were doing before I called you here, I have to figure out what I did wrong." Twilight said as she dive back into her work.

"Alright Twilight, if you need me I'm going home to take a nap." Rainbow yawned and stretched her wings. "Later Twilight."

"See you later Rainbow." Twilight said already deep in thought and muttering to herself as she drew various shapes and numbers on the chalkboard. Rainbow flew out the door making sure to shut it behind her before looking up. 'I guess a few tricks couldn't hurt, Ponyville loves a free show.' With a smirk and a look of determination Rainbow launched herself into the sky. Doing loops and rolls and even a Fantastic Filly Flash for the ponies of Ponyville who watched in awe at the rainbow streak darting across the sky. Rainbow stopped and hovered for a bit. *phew* 'That was a great workout.' Using her great eyesight she spotted her cloud house floating lazily off in the distance. 'Time for a nap.' With a quick flap of her powerful wings she was off.

Rainbow loved flying fast but sometimes she liked to just slow down and feel the wind gently flowing across her wings. This was one such time as she slowly flapped her wings, using the thermals and air currents to stay aloft with minimal effort. 'It's too bad Fluttershy never got the hang of this.' Rainbow sighed. Fluttershy, the shy yellow pegasus that was afraid of even her own shadow. Best friends since flight school even though Fluttershy was never a strong flier. 'I should visit her later, after my nap. I haven't seen her for a while.' With her mind made up Rainbow flapped her wings harder and became her infamous rainbow streak as she darted across the sky to her home.

Landing with a soft *poof* on the cloud that made up the base of her home. Rainbow walked slowly up to the door of her two story cloud home. Going inside, the cloud home she made herself using the biggest clouds around. The inside was a bit of a mess as she hated to clean and didn't really care if things were a little messy. It's not like she got many visitors up here anyway. Rainbow felt her stomach growl and went to the kitchen to get something for it, Rainbow was by no means a gourmet chef but that didn't mean she couldn't cook, after all she couldn't go out and eat everyday.

After making herself a daisy sandwich, and eating it too, Rainbow fed Tank her favorite if only pet, Tortoise. With their stomachs tended to she headed upstairs to her nice comfy cloud mattress. Sure all clouds were soft but cloud mattresses were specifically designed to be even softer and more comfortable. Rainbow stretched out her wings and yawned one last time before curling up under the covers and closing her eyes, quickly falling asleep.