• Published 4th Feb 2013
  • 8,566 Views, 250 Comments

The Redemption of Chrysalis - Fallen Prime



The discovery of an injured changeling complicates the lives of Chrysalis and those around her.

  • ...
16
 250
 8,566

Chapter Eight: Confrontation

The moment Chrysalis was transported to Cadance’s home, the princess closed her spatial window. She collapsed immediately, Chrysalis rushing to catch her before she hit the ground.

“Princess Cadance!” Chrysalis cried. “How many times have you used that spell today!?”

“That... was the fourth,” Cadance answered weakly. “Is it really... that important?”

“You could have killed yourself!” Chrysalis shouted. “ And if you had tried it once more, I’m certain you would have!”

“If it cheered you up... to hear from me...” Cadance remarked, “It was worth it.”

“I will not have you endanger yourself for my sake like this again,” Chrysalis demanded.

Cadance’s only reply was a groan. Chrysalis rolled her eyes at the sound, but when she did, her eyes fell upon the couch. There lay Chicane, her one living subject that she knew of, with his body in numerous casts and bandages and his head turned away from her. The only side of his face that she could see was concealed by his bandages.

“I require privacy,” Chrysalis stated as Cadance slowly rose to her hooves. “Do you have the strength to reach your bedroom?”

“I should,” Cadance replied, ruffling her wings. “It’s just up the stairs. I think... I think I can make it. If I pass out before then... at least you’ll have your privacy.” She departed without another word, and Chrysalis watched as she slowly and carefully walked out of sight.

At long last, for the first time since everything began, Chrysalis and Chicane were alone.

The pair sat in silence for several tense minutes. Chicane kept his gaze on the ceiling, while Chrysalis kept hers on Chicane. They just sat without talking, one unwilling and one unable.

They both knew who the responsibility of breaking the ice fell upon, but the problem was how. The matter of Chicane’s newfound hatred had to be addressed one way or another, but Chrysalis wanted to handle it as delicately as possible. The last thing she needed now was to escalate the present tension.

The best option would be to try and approach him as a friend. That seemed to have an unprecedented track record so far.

At last, Chrysalis spoke. “It feels like it’s been an eternity, Chicane.”

Chicane said nothing. He simply scowled and attempted to shift his position so he would face further away from her.

“Please don’t act like this,” Chrysalis insisted. “I want you to turn to me and look at me when we speak.”

Again, she was met with silence. Wherever Chicane’s gaze was instead, she could not follow it through the gauze masking his one otherwise-visible eye.

“Look at me!” Chrysalis ordered.

Finally, Chicane complied. He turned to face Chrysalis, his eye fixed on her. His expression was hateful and furious, the look of one who had been deceived his whole life and was finally discovering the truth.

"I was so worried, Chicane,” Chrysalis explained. “I thought you were dead. I thought you were all dead for a time! But when I heard of your survival, when I saw you in that—”

“Back off, Chrysalis.”

The changeling queen barely stopped herself from getting up and bolting out the door.

The hive’s greatest figurehead was always its queen. The drones, for lack of a better term, revered their queen like a pony would their mother or even their princesses. They generally saw her as a caregiver, an authority figure, and practically a goddess. Most importantly, they seldom, if ever, questioned her position, and they happily accepted her.

To hear her name without her title attached, from the mouth of one of her subjects, was a damning insult.

Before the invasion, Chrysalis had been just as convinced as her subjects were that she’d been doing all the right things as queen of the changelings. She’d had moments when her orders were questioned by a minority of them, but none would ever strip her of her title, not even in casual conversation. Hearing it now, with the voice of a changeling she always thought was unwaveringly loyal, she finally understood just how deeply his feelings ran.

“Chicane... how could you?”

“It’s not like there’s anyone else left who can,” Chicane spat. “I have to do it for them.”

“There must still be others,” Chrysalis insisted. “There are ponies out there trying to salvage our race as we speak.”

“And why do they need salvaging, huh!?” Chicane shouted. “It’s all because of you, sending us into that death trap of a city! Before then, I had so many voices in my head that I could never hear myself think. Imagine waking up to find them all gone!”

“I know what that’s like,” Chrysalis replied. “Linking myself to the hive mind met with nothing but silence until you awoke.”

“And there wouldn’t need to be that silence if you hadn’t murdered us all!” Chicane bellowed.

“Chicane, you were all starving!” Chrysalis cried. “I had to prevent the hunger from taking lives! Would you have preferred if I had tried nothing to prevent it? If I had sat back and let you all die!?”

“How is that not what you did anyway!?” Chicane retorted. “At least starving would’ve been less painful!”

Another pause. Chrysalis sat beside Chicane, at a loss for words, as the changeling took several deep breaths into his mask and regained some of his composure.

“You were supposed to be perfect,” Chicane muttered. “You were supposed to be smart and powerful and flawless... and you were supposed to care. Oh, but my eyes are open now. I’ve had time to reflect, and I see right through your greatest disguise of all.

“You’re not that smart. Otherwise you might have realized that telling everypony we were coming was a terrible idea. The one thing changelings have on their side is the element of surprise, and you threw that out the window before we even got there. If we’d set up an ambush instead, there probably never would’ve been a force field in the first place.

“You’re not that powerful. Otherwise this whole starvation thing would have cleared itself up a long time ago. A little thing like food shouldn’t have been an issue for a better ruler.

“And there’s no way you really cared. The fact that I had to be brought to Equestria to get taken care of tells me all I need to know there.”

Chicane paused, chuckling bitterly. “I actually think that pony princess is doing a better job of caring for me than you ever did.”

Chrysalis immediately backed away. Those words cut deep and left her speechless. It wasn’t enough for Chicane to shun his own queen. It wasn’t enough for him to accuse her of not caring about her subjects. It wasn’t even enough for him to blame her for sending so many of them to their deaths. Now he had to degrade her ability to provide for them, even after all she had done to ensure his survival.

And worst of all, she knew he was right.

“Ch-Chicane...” she stammered, on the verge of tears. “After all I’ve done for all of you... how could you forsake me like this?”

“All you’ve done for us?” Chicane repeated harshly. “You’ve done nothing, least of all for me. I’ve slaved away for years on your behalf, scraping together enough love to keep the hive running for another day or two. The most I’ve ever gotten was some half-hearted thanks and a fraction of what I collected.”

“That love was for the entire hive!” Chrysalis stated. “I had to distribute the rations equally and impartially! I couldn’t afford to play favorites!”

“What about when we weren’t starving?” Chicane asked. “Were you just as impartial then too? Did you even spend any time with your subjects? How many of us did you actually know?”

“All of you!” Chrysalis answered. “The hive mind projected yourselves to me every time I entered it.”

“You knew about us,” Chicane declared, “but you didn’t know us. Name one of your subjects you’ve taken time out for.”

Chrysalis attempted to respond, but she couldn’t find the words to argue. He was right again; with so many subjects, and so many cluttered thoughts filling the hive mind with cacophonic nonsense, she was never able to find time for individuals.

“...it would not have been fair to the rest of you if I had.”

“So you didn’t get to know your subjects because it wouldn’t be fair?” Chicane hissed. “What about letting us get to know you? All any of us ever got from you were announcements and orders, because you never stuck around inside the hive mind long enough for us to see your other thoughts. What was the problem there? Afraid that mask of perfection would fall apart? Afraid we’d hear something that would damage your massive ego?”

“Of course not!” Chrysalis responded. “It had nothing to do with myself!”

“Then it had to do with us,” Chicane deduced. “Just as I thought. You just couldn’t be bothered to listen to your subjects’ thoughts unless you had something to think at us. We weren’t worth your time. You didn’t care.”

“Stop saying that!” Chrysalis begged.

“I don’t see you proving me wrong,” Chicane retorted. “In fact, everything points to me being right. You never spent time with us. You never listened to us. You sent us all to our deaths.

“And worst of all, when we were scattered, you abandoned us.”

“I did no such thing!” Chrysalis insisted.

“Then what are you doing in Equestria!?” Chicane demanded. “Why are you back here, making friends with ponies instead of getting us help!?”

“That is why I’m here!” Chrysalis shouted, her voice cracking. “I came to Equestria for you! You would have died as well had I not swallowed the pride you so disdain and begged for Celestia’s aid! Everything I’ve done has been to ensure your continued survival and atone for my crimes! I know I was wrong, and I’m sorry!”

Then, without any warning, and against even her own expectations, Chrysalis collapsed onto her knees and openly wept.


Chicane sat there speechless as Chrysalis sobbed before him, betraying his old ideal image of her in such a dramatic manner. Not only was this easily the longest conversation he’d ever had with her, but he never once saw her show such emotion and vulnerability, least of all to another changeling.

As sick as it sounded, he actually enjoyed the sight of Chrysalis sobbing at his hooves. It was a state in which he’d never seen her, and it made it feel like he was actually looking upon a real person rather than a distant monarch or a perfect goddess.

For the first time since he awakened, he felt convinced that the changeling queen genuinely cared.

“...did you mourn?” Chicane finally asked. “When all the others died, did you cry for them?”

I still do.

Suddenly, Chicane’s mind was assaulted with a series of images, projected from her mind into his in rapid succession. All at once, he was shown everything as his queen recalled the events that led to now. He saw the starving hive, the invaded wedding, the scattered bodies, the first efforts in Ponyville, the royal verdict, the hospital visit, the riot... all in the space of a few seconds, all with crystal clarity. Everything she had ever done and suffered through for the hive’s sake, for his sake, was transferred from her mind to his.

Chrysalis seemed to linger on one moment in particular. Chicane saw her in what appeared to be a library, books strewn about the room as she stood there with a lilac-colored unicorn mare. Chrysalis’ brow was furrowed in concentration, similar to what he observed when she connected to the hive mind. The look suddenly shifted to one of horror and distress, and she collapsed before the unicorn in a frantic, sobbing heap. Chicane had never seen anyone show such sorrow, least of all her.

“That one image...” he finally remarked. “What was that?”

“The moment I thought all of you were dead,” Chrysalis informed him. She must have felt that her point had been made, as she immediately detached again from the hive mind.

“Don’t!” Chicane cried. “Please, don’t leave.”

“...I’m sorry?” Chrysalis inquired.

“It’s so empty,” Chicane replied. “I can’t hear anything but my own thoughts now. It... it scares me.”

“I thought a clear mind was your greatest desire,” Chrysalis stated.

“This isn’t like that,” Chicane explained. “It’s not like I have my head all to myself. I can still feel the hive mind. I can feel where the others’ thoughts are supposed to be, but there’s nothing but silence. It just feels wrong!”

He sighed, his eyes watering. “It’s so lonely. The whole hive mind’s quiet, and it’s too much for me. Please, please don’t leave me alone again.”

Chrysalis simply regarded Chicane in silence as he looked to her pleadingly. The hive mind’s emptiness only became more overwhelming when she left it, and he desperately hoped that she would do something for the benefit of a single subject for once in her life. As much as she disgusted him now, he couldn’t stand not having her there in his head.

To his delight, the feeling of lightheadedness soon returned, and he felt another presence in the hive mind.

I know how you feel, Chrysalis thought to him. I felt that emptiness as well, and it nearly destroyed me.

I miss them, Chicane stated. All I’ve ever known was the voices of the entire hive in my head, and now that they’re gone, I feel so alone. How can you stand having a mind to yourself?

Knowing the state of the hive mind makes it difficult, Chrysalis answered. I felt so guilty after I re-entered after being in Equestria for two days. I should have stayed. I should have comforted them as they died. I promise you, Chicane, I will never leave again.

Chicane noticed that Chrysalis had started to cry again. The thought of what the hive mind used to be was bringing her to tears.

As he stared as the sobbing monarch, Chicane allowed the day’s events to sink in. He was absolutely right about Chrysalis being imperfect, about her creating a false image of herself for the changelings to idolize. Hindsight had clearly shown him a lackluster planning résumé, an ego the size of an airship, and an inability to show the decency to interact with her subjects on a personal level.

Throughout their conversation, however, he saw the other facets of her hidden personality. He saw that she was capable of emotion, a stark contrast to the cold distance she would always show her subjects. He saw that she was capable of friendship, as her moment with Princess Cadance and the slideshow in his head proved. Most importantly, he saw that she was capable of caring for her subjects. The same slideshow had chronicled her extensive efforts to save what few changelings were left alive, all the physical and emotional pain the quest had brought her. She even swore to never leave him alone in the hive mind again, a solemn promise to learn from her mistakes and right one of her greatest wrongs.

What sold it for him, however, was watching the once-proud queen reach above her head and remove her crown. Without even sparing a glance at it, she tossed it across the room, where it collided with a wall before coming to rest well out of her reach. She sat before him not as a queen, but as a fellow changeling, a gesture that neither the Chrysalis he loved nor the Chrysalis he hated would ever make.

At long last, Chicane smiled at Chrysalis. “So... what happens now?”

That was what he said to her. His real reply was what he thought to her.

I forgive you, my queen.

He considered himself extremely lucky that her hug didn’t break every other bone in his body.


Princess Celestia stood flabbergasted at the podium in Ponyville’s town hall. She and her sister had intended to come into the town and calm a restless populace, but the populace was far beyond restlessness. She saw homes being raided, windows being shattered, fights breaking out for no discernible reason... the only thing missing was a series of burning buildings.

Not even Nightmare Moon or Discord had sown such dissent. The fear of an enemy that could walk among them unnoticed was greater than Celestia could ever have imagined. And she was powerless to force the frantic, rioting ponies to—

“Be still!” Princess Luna bellowed, her booming voice resonating throughout the entire town. The rioters looked to the source of the voice and congregated at the town hall, bowing as they did so.

“Is there a reason you could not have done that yourself?” Luna teased as the town’s population settled down.

“The royal Canterlot voice fell into obsoletion centuries ago,” Celestia replied. “I’m a little rusty.”

The elder sister turned to address the gathered civilians. “Citizens of Ponyville, it saddens me to have to deal with this chaos in person. The panic here is worse than in any other town or city in Equestria. And all this, over a newspaper article?”

“We saw her!” a voice cried out from the crowd. “The changeling queen is here!”

“Such matters should be left to my sister and I,” Luna declared. “Vigilantism of this nature is needless and destructive!”

“Princess Luna is correct,” Celestia continued. “The matter of the changeling presence in Equestria is being dealt with as we speak. For now, however, I have a more important announcement.”

The crowd erupted into light chatter, as if shocked that something could be more important than a major threat to the kingdom.

"This kingdom has made numerous enemies in the past," Celestia began. "Its continued prosperity is a testament to our ability to meet these enemies and still come out strong. The past few years alone have seen two separate instances where we required the use of the Elements of Harmony, and I have no doubt that there will be more.

"But now is not the time for panic. In fact, it's time to rejoice! Over the past few weeks, I've watched over the reformation of one of our recent foes, and it brings me great pleasure to tell you that this foe has since become a friend. It involved a lot of hardship from both parties, but I’ve deemed her ready to be integrated into Equestrian society.

“Fillies and gentlecolts,” she announced, using her magic to open up a spatial doorway behind her. “I feel it is long overdue for me to introduce Equestria’s newest ally: Queen Chrysalis, ruler of the changelings!”

The crowd gasped as the doorway formed, showing Chrysalis wrapping Chicane in a vice-like grip as he gritted his teeth in discomfort. To Celestia’s surprise, they kept their composure, resigning themselves to nervous chatter.

The princess turned to the queen, who had taken notice of the portal. “You’re up.”


Chrysalis released her grip on Chicane and looked out through the portal, at the princesses and the crowd they stood before. She recognized the site as Ponyville's town hall. Celestia must have been making the formal announcement of her return, wanting her to return to town and speak as well.

She still vividly remembered the events before, specifically the townsponies' hostility. The gathered crowd looked considerably calmer at a glance, most likely eased by the princess’s words. They had a full view of her as well, and the lack of panic at the sight of her was refreshing, but Twilight had similarly controlled the crowd before, and it had ended rather poorly.

She turned to Chicane, her dearest subject, for a second opinion. Should I go?

Don't keep them waiting, he thought back with a smirk.

It was all that needed to be said to boost Chrysalis’ confidence. Taking a deep breath, she stood up and walked through Celestia’s portal, exiting Cadance’s home in Canterlot to stand before the population of Ponyville. Once she crossed completely, the spatial doorway closed behind her.

“Where’s your crown?” Celestia inquired as the changeling took her place at the podium.

“I’ll explain later,” Chrysalis replied, then cleared her throat to address the crowd. “Well. I suppose my first action should be to apologize for my conduct over the past few days. I acted in haste without thought for the consequences at the hospital, and I made a poor impression when I first stepped onto this stage. In defense of the latter, I was defending the honor of a dear friend.

“And yes, I have made friends in this community. Your Elements of Harmony, with kindness and forgiveness in their hearts, had seen fit to shelter me as I sought aid for the changeling race, which is in a critical state following the wedding of Princess Cadance and Prince Shining Armor.”

“And good riddance to ‘em!” a voice shouted among the crowd, followed by a few murmurs of agreement.

“Hold your tongue!” Luna shouted, silencing the audience once more.

“Thank you,” Chrysalis stated. “As I’m sure you may have heard, the newlywed prince has been sent on a scouting mission to collect and care for the surviving changelings, of which I fear there are very few. I came to Equestria, with no ill will but with a heavy heart, to request this aid from your princess, which she saw fit to grant me in her mercy. For this I feel indebted to her, and to my—”

“Chrysalis!”

The changeling shifted her gaze to the back of the crowd, to the source of the calling voice. There stood Twilight Sparkle, who was waving her hoof in an attempt to grab her attention. Behind Twilight were the other bearers of the Elements of Harmony, her dragon assistant, and the fillies who called themselves the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

They came. They left the Everfree Forest and came to see her address the crowd in Ponyville. Even though she’d been smothered by their love mere moments ago, they came to support her yet again.

She accepted the tears that came this time, not giving thought to the softness they implied.

“And to my friends,” she continued. “I would not be standing before you today were it not for Twilight Sparkle and the spirits of the Elements of Harmony. They have shown me friendship and hospitality I have seldom seen before, and they have shown me the true worth of the pony race. As my race owes their lives to the royals, I owe my own to the Elements.

“I cannot revoke my actions against your people, and I bear the guilt of the fate of mine. I have done things I regret, things that would make me unfit for the throne. As such, as my final repentance, I have laid down my crown. I feel it has harmed more than it has helped, and with my hive in its current state, I have nothing left to rule.”

The announcement elicited surprised chatter among the crowd, even from her friends in the back.

“I no longer stand before you as queen of the changelings,” Chrysalis announced. “As far as you should be concerned, I’m simply a refugee from a dying hive. I cannot hold myself above any of you, nor can I do so for my own people. Only one changeling survives in Equestria at this time, and he needs a friend more than he needs a queen. I have to be that for him, and for those your prince may also recover in his travels.

“I’d hoped at first to depart once my subjects had returned to full strength. However, I see now that the changeling hive will never return to full strength. It took more than two weeks to even find the one changeling, and the likelihood of finding more decreases with distance and time. Like it or not, Equestria is my permanent home now, and I hope for it to house what little remains of my race as willingly as it would house mules or griffins or minotaurs.

“I ask nothing of you, Ponyville,” Chrysalis concluded, “save your acceptance. I want for you to know that I have atoned for my past transgressions, and that I seek only to be a part of your peaceful community. I have spent the last few weeks proving this to the princesses and their emissaries, and now that my presence is known, I wish to prove it to all of you. All I ask is for that chance.”

The crowd was dead silent. The townsponies shared plenty of glances, but no words.

Chrysalis stared nervously out at her audience. She had no idea how to take their silence. It seemed like the riot had been put to an end, but whether or not they would tolerate her presence was harder to read. She glanced at the princesses on either side of her, who appeared to be just as unsure about the reaction as she was.

After several minutes passed, there was a commotion in the crowd, as if somepony was forcing their way to the front and trying to shove the rest of them out of the way. Chrysalis didn’t see anypony moving up to the stage; the only indication that somepony approached was the line of ponies moving out of the way.

Finally, a rather short colt managed to shove his way through the last few ponies and stood at the front of the crowd. Chrysalis noted the splotches of brown dotting his white coat, an oddity that she had seldom seen before in other ponies.

“Pipsqueak?” Luna asked beside the changeling. At the sound of his name, the young colt trotted off to the right-hoof side of the stage, climbing the steps to join the much taller ponies. He flashed a quick smile to the lunar princess, then gingerly took a few steps towards Chrysalis. Stopping just a few steps away from the changeling’s foreleg, he looked back to Luna, who merely smiled and nodded.

Without a word, Pipsqueak took those last few steps and hugged Chrysalis’ foreleg in front of the entire town.

The first reaction was a gasp of shock. The next was another brief silence. Chrysalis did nothing but stare at the foreleg that the tiny colt clung to. She couldn’t tell whether he was incredibly brave, incredibly stupid, or incredibly accepting.

Whichever it was, it elicited a third reaction from the crowd. At first, it was the sound of a lone pony stamping their forehooves in applause. When Chrysalis looked up to find the source of the noise, she saw Twilight performing the action from the very back. Soon her friends seemed to catch onto what she was doing, and they joined her in cheering and applauding.

Before long, other ponies in the audience began to stamp as well, and before Chrysalis knew it, the entire town erupted into a standing ovation.

Even as Pipsqueak released his grip and returned to the crowd, Chrysalis could only stare out into the crowd, her eyes wide and her mouth agape. She had absolutely no words for what was happening. She’d spent the entirety of her stay worried about the way townsponies would view her despite her good intentions, and she’d watched as those worries came to life in the worst way imaginable. A normal pony would have given up hope of ever being seen as anything but a monster in the public eye.

But they liked her. They accepted her. They were applauding her! She had no idea what brought it on—Celestia’s announcement, her own speech, Pipsqueak’s hug, or Twilight’s contribution—but the town’s opinion of her appeared to have reversed in an instant. Time would only tell how comfortable these ponies would truly be with her living openly among them, but at the time, they were loudly welcoming her with open forelegs, which was more than Chrysalis ever dared to expect from them.

The crowd split to allow the Cutie Mark Crusaders and the bearers of the Elements of Harmony to pass to the front, and as soon as they hit the stage, they grabbed Chrysalis and locked her in a gigantic group hug. Her tear ducts must have finally worn themselves out, because all she did was smile and return the hug. At long, long last, she had her final victory.

The first pony to break away from the excitement was Pinkie Pie. “Hey! Do you know what this calls for?”