• Published 26th Jan 2013
  • 2,658 Views, 105 Comments

Seeds of Redemption - Pyrefly_91



Life was dull for Jason Marston, until he learned he was related to a hero of the west and a naked country girl lands in his pool with nothing but a cowboy hat during a bizarre rain storm. What could possibly happen?

  • ...
17
 105
 2,658

Chapter 6- Shots Fired

For the second time today she managed to surprise me.

“Say that one me time. I thought I just heard you say your friend was on the tv.”

“That’s exactly what I said!” Applejack retorted, her voice shaky with a mix of fear and surprise. “It said she’s with some guy that won a race in a place called ‘California’ I think? Is that around here?”

“Sorry AJ. But California is on the other side of the country. If we were gonna go out there it would take some time. We could drive, that being the cheaper option, which would take a week max. Or we could fly,-”

But before I could finish AJ cut me off.

“You humans can fly? But I thought you didn’t have magic and I haven’t seen a single person here with a pair of wings on their backs.”

“We fly in planes” I answered. “And even then we would need to book the flight in advance and have to wait for our scheduled date to arrive. which again could take as long as a week.”

The country girl dropped her head in dismay, tears beginning to run down her face. Once again I’m left without a clue as to what to say or do to make her feel better. However, before I could do anything, my phone began to ring. I let it go straight to voicemail, but it immediately starts ringing again. I look over at the sobbing Applejack, mouth the words ‘I’m sorry’ and walk away to answer the call.

As I reach the spot where me and AJ had met up only moments ago, I pull out my phone and answer.

“If you’re trying to pitch some bullshit timeshare to me just be aware that I am in no more for this type of shit. So please tell me what the hell is so damn important that you feel the need to blow up my FUCKING PHONE?!”

“Well, that surely is one way to answer a ‘life changing’ phone call, now is it Mister Marston? By the way, how are you today?”

The voice on the other line didn’t sound like a typical salesperson. Instead it sounded more like a poor impersonation of Hugo Weaving when he played Agent Smith in the Matrix movies. I was so taken aback by this that I instantly forgot that I was suppose to angry.

“I’m good. Who-” but once again, I’m cut off.

“You are probably wondering who I am and just how I have come to posses your number, correct, Mister Marston? Well, that is just not important.”

“Alright. Well then could you please give me a good reason why I shouldn’t just hang up and get on with my day?”

“How does the safety of your lady friend sound, hmm Mister Marston?”

Upon hearing this my temper flared once more. “Leave her the hell out of this!”

“Well then, I suppose that you just have no choice then, do you Mister Marston?”

“Talk.” I snapped.

“Please don’t be so cross with me. I mean to only make your life. If you happen to act upon it.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“As you just learned last night, your distant grandfather, John Marston, was a notorious bank robber. Correct?”

“How do you know that? Do you have my computer bugs?”

“I do believe that that point is mute. However, we now arrive at the purpose of this phone call. Within the next hour, you will receive a text message. In that message you will see an address in California. At that address you will be able to dig up something that some have searched for for numerous generations. You will also receive an email that will help you and your friend get there. Have a good day Mister Marston. Happy hunting.”

And with that the call ended. I was left speechless. Stunned,and awestruck, I walked back to the table, where Applejack was still distraught but had actually calmed done. As I sat down, AJ looked over at me, quietly trying to get a read on me. I looked up at her and spoke.

“AJ, I don’t know how credible this will be, but I think we may have a way to get us to California.”

“What do you mean?”

“Like I said. I don’t know how trustworthy this is but that phone call I just got, yeah, it had to do with my great-great-great-great grandfather. Let’s just say he wasn’t the greatest person in the world. But long story short I can get a lot of money, hoping this is real, as well as get you reunited with your friend. But I want your opinion. Should we trust this or would you be prepared to live with me until everything works itself out?”

“To be honest sugarcube, I think we should follow this lead. At least that way, even if this treasure is already gone, then we figure something else out. Ok?”

Despite having only know her for less than a day, I felt like Applejack was the only person in the world I could trust to not steer me wrong. I don’t know what it is but having her say that makes me confident that everything will be alright, regardless of the outcome. I took a deep breath and slowly let it out while locking eyes with her. I reached across the table and placed my hand on hers.

“Thanks AJ.” I said with a smile. “Come on, lets get out of here. I have to pack for whatever great adventure we’re about to get into.”

Applejack simply nodded, grabbed her bags and together we left the mall.

As we exited the building, my phone went off. When it did, AJ and I stopped, looked at each other, and I took it out of my pocket. I unlocked it and saw that I had just got a text message. The message read ‘go to the Race Of Death in Death Valley. Look for a warehouse with a giant cross on the roof. Enter and dig in the center. You inheritance lies buried there.’

“We have our location.” I said, looking up at AJ once I finished reading the message. However, before she could respond, I received an email as well. I opened the email and almost lost my balance as my whole body shook as a bone rattling shiver flowed through me.

See me almost fall to the ground, Applejack caught me.

“You ok?” She asked, fear written on her face. “What’s wrong?”

“I got an email with a plane ticket for two from Logan to LAX. And it leaves in 5 hours.”

“Ok. That sounds like good news. So why'd you almost fall over?”

“I just got a ‘Shits about to hit the fan’ level premonition shiver.”

Suddenly, from seemingly nowhere, several men dressed in black with sunglasses on began to come out of the woodworks. Seeing this, I immediately reached to the small of my back. However I cursed the moment I realized how screwed we were.

Hearing me cuss, AJ asked, “What’s wrong Jay?”

“When I say run, we sprint for my car.”

“What?! What’s going on?”

With that I looked her square in her emerald eyes.

“Do you trust me?” I asked, fear and rage mixing as I spoke. Without hesitation, she nodded. “Alright, ready?” Again the belle nodded. I pulled out my keys and hit the voice command button and whisper ‘Ignition.’ The moment I heard my car start up, I looked back up at my friend, and said the magic word.

“RUN!”

The moment we took off, the men drew guns from their waists. The fired as we ran for my car. As we went, I quickly hit the door buttons on the remote.

We reach the car, slamming the doors shut. I threw the vehicle into drive and floored the gas pedal, aiming to run some of them down as we drove off.

“Holy shit! I just had to leave my fuck pistol at home! I just FUCKING HAD TO!”

Author's Note:

Hey everyone. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Please do tell me what you think of the story so far and how you feel about this latest chapter. I wanna hear what you have to say, but just don't be complete ass. Have tact when you tell me I suck. Please and thank you. Till next time, ttul. Later. /)