• Published 26th Jan 2013
  • 2,652 Views, 105 Comments

Seeds of Redemption - Pyrefly_91



Life was dull for Jason Marston, until he learned he was related to a hero of the west and a naked country girl lands in his pool with nothing but a cowboy hat during a bizarre rain storm. What could possibly happen?

  • ...
17
 105
 2,652

Chapter 4 - I Did Not See That Coming...

I raised an eyebrow as I locked eyes with AJ, thinking about just how this little conversation is gonna go. I then twisted myself in my chair and i placed my elbow on the table and extend my pinkie finger.

“Pinkie Promise?” I ask with my ever present smirk on my face.

“Beg pardon?” AJ asks in rebysponse.

“Pinkie Promise. It’s like-”

“I know what a Pinkie Promise is. I just didn’t think could have it here.” Applejack said, cutting off my explanation.

“Is that so? So tell me why that’s so surprising?”

“Well,” she began, “back home its kind of something that only me and my friends did. But since we don’t have fingers we do it a little differently.”

“Alright then.” I said, intrigued as to just how this was gonna go, “Then why don’t you tell me just how you did it back home.”

“Ok.” AJ said, her face beginning to redden as she slide out of her chair and stood up. After a few moments of steadying herself, she look at me and added “Promise not to laugh at me?”

“I make no guarantees.” I replied.

“Fine, I bet that’s the best I’ll get, huh?”

“Yup.”

“Alright I guess. It goes like this. ‘ I cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye.”

As she spoke she accompanied each line with an awkward motion, made even more so by her desperate attempt to not fall over. Once it was over she plopped herself back in her chair and flashed a sheepish smile at me. I, on the other hand merely cocked my head to the side and raised an eyebrow.

“So what did ya think?”

“What did I think? You want to know what I thought, about that?” I deadpanned, my face taunt, not a sign of emotion to be seen.

“Yeah, I do.” She said, now visibly perturbed by my stoicness. “ Whatcha think?”

I held my composure for a few more moments, milking the tension before I bursted into laughter.

“Hey, I said not to laugh!”

“I’m not laughing at your performance or the rhyme, I swear.” I replied, casually wiping an invisible tear from my eye.

“Then what in tarnation are you laughing at?”

“I’m laughing at you-”

“And that makes it any better?” She snapped.

“Let me finish. I’m laughing at you and how you seriously didn’t think I, or anybody for that matter, wouldn’t find that entertaining.” I said, calming down from my laughing fit. “You know, we have a similar rhyme here. Except you just replace ‘cupcake and fly’ with ‘needle and die.’”

“Is that so?”

“Yup. But that brings us back to the reason we’re having this little sit down.” I said, returning to a more serious and stoic disposition.

“Oh.” AJ said. As I looked into the depths of her emerald eyes i could see a maelstrom of differing emotions begin to surge to the surface, but the one that shown the clearest was that of sheer, unbridled fear.

“Applejack” I said calmly, hoping to ease her worry. “I can tell you’re scared. But I promise that there is no need for you to be. You’re here for a reason and I wanna help.”

I slowly reached across the table and gently placed my hand on top of hers. She looked up at me, her eyes meeting mine, seemingly searching for a reason to either trust me or not. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, she sighed, and with a shaky voice, she spoke.

“So, what do ya wanna know?”

“Well,” I began. “A good start would be the beginning, no?”

“Ya wanna know where I’m from huh?”

“That’s as good a place as any.”

“Okay,” she said, sliding her hand out from underneath mine, dropping her gaze to the floor. “I did promise to tell you the truth. Just don’t go writing me off as crazy, ok?”

“I promise,” I said mimicking the exact motions she had demonstrated earlier while going over her version of a Pinkie Promise.

At that she let out a quiet giggle before taking a deep breath.

“Ok, I’m from a world called Equestria.”

“Equestria?” I asked, as if for some reason that name should sound familiar. However, I let that thought go as I asked my next question. “How did you get here from Equestria? And more so are you here for a reason or was your skydive an accident?”

“Ya see, I’m here looking for a friend of mine. Her name's Rainbow Dash. Our princess was able to track her whereabouts to this world and my other friend Twilight opened a portal that took me here.”

“So you mean to tell me you world has magic?” I questioned in amazement.

“Yeah, but only unicorns and alicorns can cast spells like what brought me here.”

“Unicorns? Alicorns? What kind of world do you live in?”

“Well, ya see,” Applejack began nervously,” back in Equestria, I’m an Earth pony. And the friend I’m here looking for, Rainbow Dash. Well, she’s a Pegasus. There’s also-.”

“Hold on a sec!” I interrupted.

“What’s wrong sugarcube?” AJ said with a start, surprised by my interjection.

“Did you just say that you’re a pony?!”

“Yes, I’m a pony. Most of the life in Equestria in made up of pony folk.”

“So you mean to tell me that you’re from a world entirely comprised of little tiny horses that stuck up rich people buy their sniveling, spoiled, snot nosed, brats when they start throwing a tantrum over a visit to the petting zoo?” I asked, slack jawed.

“Yeah, I guess. But why would ponies in this world be in a petting zoo?”

“You don’t wanna know. Anyways, you said ponies only make up a portion of life in your world? What else do you have where you’re from?”

“Well aside from the three pony races there are hydras, manticores, chimera, minotaurs, and zebras. And those are just the ones that can either think or talk.” Applejack said matter-of-factly.

‘Hydras? Manticores? Chimera and Minotaurs? Its like a smorgasbord of mythological creatures.’ I thought to myself but then I was slapped in the brain by the last one she listed. ”Did you just say zebras?”

“Yeah, so?”

I was so taken aback that I had nothing to say. Of all the things she listed, the only truly weird one zebra.

‘How are there zebras in an alternate world? What else could there be there? Birds, bees, squirrels? What the actual hell?’

“Hello? Earth to Jay? Are ya in there?” AJ said, waving a hand in front of my face.

“What?” I said, shaking my head, trying to regain my composure.

“Ya kinda went out of it a second ago. You alright?” she asked, a look of concern on her face.

“Yeah, I’m good. Sorry but that. Didn’t mean to worry like that.” I replied, scratching the back of my head, rather embarrassed of moment if brain deadness.

“Its alright hun. Any other questions you got for me?”

“Ya, one more,” I said, choosing to ignore all the others begging to be asked, with about 90% of the being completely inappropriate for the moment. “If your friend is a unicorn, and has the power to teleport you to another plane of existence, why the hell did you come crashing down from the sky?”

“Ya know, that’s a good question.” AJ said pensively. “There must be more than just the obvious differences between Equestria and this world. But do you happen to have anymore questions, cause I would kind of ask you a few myself.”

I sat there for a few moments, hoping to sift through all the dirty questions my brain was pumping out, trying desperately to pull out one that actually barred any relevance to AJ as a person, er pony, being. Hopelessly, I let out a sigh of defeat and shook my head.

“I got nothing, so shoot. What do you want to know?” I ask.

“Ok, question number one. What’s the name of this place, and by that I mean, world, town, that type of stuff.”

“Well, I guess the answer to that would be that you are in the Milky Way galaxy, on the planet Earth, on the continent of North America, in the country of the United States of America, in the state of Massachusetts, in the city of Brockton. Then again how can I expect you to remember me telling you the important part of that last night after you fell into my pool out back. Oh, which reminds me. You’re welcome. Again.”

Applejack’s face suddenly became flush red, and her gaze fell the table.

“Hehe,” she began, clearly embarrassed by my remark. “I suppose ya did happen to mention something along those lines last night, didn’t ya?” She then looked back up at me and said, “Thanks for saving me.”

I really don’t know what it was but time and time again I would find myself getting lost in her eyes. I quickly shook myself free of the trance I was falling into over and over again. As my head cleared, I rose from my seat and headed for the archway leading into the living room. As I reached the opening, I turned around.

“Come on, it’s time to get going.”

“Where we going?” My guest asked in bewilderment.

“Shopping.” I replied, grabbing the set of keys from off a hook that was on the wall next to the archway.

The one thing I owned that gave me more pride than my entire video game collection was my car. It was a pitch black fully converted automatic ‘91 Pontiac Firebird. Not only did I get it cheap but I hand painted the Firebird logo on the hood and gave it some nice looking flame decals on the sides. The person I had bought it from was a mutual friend that I happened to share with my brothers. Before he had sold it to me, he managed to some how convert it from a stick shift to an auto, added a killer sound system a voice activated navigation system as well as worked different things into the voice recognition network. As we approached the vehicle, I pressed a button on my keychain.

“Ignition.” I said, and instantly the car roared to life.

Surprised by the sudden awakening of my ride, Applejack let out a shriek of fear and stopped moving.

“What in tarnation it that contraption?” She asked, her body visibly shaking.

“This,” I said as I stretched out my arms and turned towards her, “is my pride and joy. Why?”

“That’s not the answer I’m looking for. I asked what it is.” AJ shouted.

“What do you mean? Its a car. Do you not have cars in your world?”

“No, we don’t! We’re ponies. We walk everywhere and pull carts. The only thing we have that we ride in are trains.”

“Well excuse me for thinking a race of magical talking equines would have come up with the concept of a moving vehicle!”

“Well,” she said in a softer reflective tone of voice, “There was that one contraption that those Flim Flam Brothers rode in on that first time they tried to scam Ponyville and steal my family’s apple orchard, Sweet Apple Acres.”

“Who?What?” I began to ask, but then realized that there was no time for what was going on and threw my hands out in front of me, continuing with, “You know what, I don’t care. Get in the car and let’s get going.”

And with that I pressed another button, which opened the passenger side door. I then walked over to the still shaking Applejack, grabbed her wrist and sat her down in the open car. As I walked away, I press the same button again, closing her door while also opening the driver’s door with another.

Once I was seated, I closed the door and put the key in the ignition. I reached over, pressed a button on the dashboard, and spoke.

“Play music, DJ Pon3 - iPon3”

“Who are you talking to?” AJ asked.

“The computer. It has a voice operating system built in. I just press a button, say a command, and it does it.” I replied. “However, sometimes it doesn’t want to work and it makes me repeat what I just said, which happens to piss me off.”

I press the button again and repeat the command, and the song I requested begins to play. Satisfied, I shift into reverse and pull out of the driveway and on the road heading towards the local mall.

We were about half way there when my passenger suddenly screamed in shock, causing me to immediately pull off to the side of the road.

“What the hells wrong?” I ask, fearing the worst.

“I knew I heard these songs before!” She exclaimed.

“I thought you pissed yourself! And what do you mean you’ve heard these songs before?”

“I thought I was crazy earlier when you said the creator of this songs name was DJ Pon3, but now I’m sure of it! This is Vinyl’s music!”

“Who’s?” I asked, trying to wrap my head around what she just said.

“I know a pony back in Equestria that’s named Vinyl Scratch. She’s a DJ and her stage name is DJ Pon3. But how in Tartarus is her music here in this world?”

“Well i can the you for a fact that this is NOT pony made music. DJ Pon3 is the name of some guy on Youtube.”

“But the songs by my world’s DJ Pon3 are the exact same!”

“Fine.” I said determined to end this, “Besides the first song to play, since I had to say the name twice to get it to play, name all the ones to come on since, and there were five.”

“Alright then,” Applejack said confidently, “Octavia’s Delight, At Dangerous Speed, iRock, Wub and Tolerate, and finally Vinylicious. There.”

My jaw dropped.

‘How is that possible? This has to be a coincidence. It just doesn't make any sense.

A few moments past and I remembered where I was and shook myself from my stupor.

"I refuse to believe but quiet frankly my dear, I just don't give a fuck."

And with that, I threw on the blinker and merged back into the street.

Author's Note:

Well. It's been a long time coming. I'm sorry it took so long but I'm back. For you who stayed with me I thank you. Later on I'll be updating my blog and I'll be talking about the future. So I hope you all enjoy this long over due chapter and I'll see you next time. Till then. Ttul. Later. /)