• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 5,515 Views, 274 Comments

To Sleep, Perchance to... Nightmare? - Draconis187



It was going to be a normal, boring day... until I found I was in the body of a pony that should not even exist anymore.

  • ...
6
 274
 5,515

Truth Hurts

To Sleep, Perchance To… Nightmare?
Truth Hurts
Author: Draconis187

Time: 23:12
Date: Hamsterday
Location: Sunrise Hospital and Medical Centre, Las Vegas

I’ve been awake since 07:34 and I just can’t fall asleep. Not with that doctor that didn’t seem to be a doctor at the forefront of my thoughts. Humans, why are so two-faced and shady? At least ponies didn’t harbour hurtful secrets from one another unless it was necessary. Misanthropic or not, anypony would have to admit that this little ‘revelation’ could mean more problems for all of us or worse.

The others fell asleep hours ago, mostly due to their medication. I only took a few painkillers as my injuries were far less severe but they still made me rather drowsy. I needed to… stay awake. Curse the one who made this hard bed feel so comfortable when you’re on the verge of collapse! I looked at the door and wondered if it was possible to create a form of alarm system with magic. I decided I could give my best shot and concentrated on what I needed to do.

A few minutes passed as my magic aura held onto the door, creating a magical circuit between the door and the frame. If I was right, the moment the door opened, the circuit would break and I would be alerted by the disruption. Whether or not it worked when I had let go of the door was another matter but a part of me seemed to think I did correctly – somehow – and that was enough for me to finally sleep.

**** **** **** ****

I woke up to find myself on a strange, long metal monster in the middle of space. I was going to question this but I decided against it since all I would get is a headache. I looked around and found Chris on a red and white picnic blanket with Nightmare Moon sat opposite him. They looked at me and Chris gave a wave.

“Come join us Dream!” He shouted with a happy smile on his face.

I rolled my eyes at him as I walked across the metal surface of this beast we were on.

“So, what do you think about the Sova Carrier?” Chris asked with a smirk. “It’s impressive isn’t it? And to think: Nightmare and I can do this sort of thing all the time.”

Nightmare groaned and hit her head on the picnic blanket, causing a muffled thud to be heard. I shook my head at Chris as he just looked on into the darkness of space.

“So, have you figured out your talent?” I asked as Nightmare took a swig of something from a hip flask.

Chris gave me a rather smug look, “Yes I have… space exploration. Space has long since fascinated me and it shows in you since we are back in space once more. Nightmare and I were usually in space when we talked but I no longer have control in any form which means that you are the one thinking about space. But I digress, Planes are used in travel no matter what one thinks and the moon represents space. Maybe I was meant to be an astronaut like Mark Shuttleworth.”

I just looked at Nightmare who shrugged at me, “It would be best you didn’t pursue the issue. I doubt I could take his ranting anymore.”

I looked around the empty void of space as Chris began to look serious, “I have a very strange notion that might work.”

I gave him an inquisitive look at the sudden change in topic, “What are you talking about?”

He smiled at me, “Simple. You know how you can do that shadow image thing?” I nodded, “Well, I have a feeling that if you were to split into three, we might be able to take control. In a sense we would be gaining new bodies but still remain connected.”

Nightmare and I just looked at him in disbelief, “What? It makes sense in a way don’t you agree?”

I was the first one to snap out of it, “It’s not that but if it worked we would still be at a disadvantage since we don’t know where we are precisely.”

“Then we come up with some form of strategy,” Chris replied with a grin, “And I have one but this is not an appropriate ‘planning room’.”

I gave a soft chuckle. Even when he’s being serious, he finds something to joke about, although he did seem correct. The scene was too tranquil for such a serious matter. I searched through our combined memories and we soon found ourselves in a large circular room with a large television in front of us, taking up half of the room and starting from shoulder height to the start of the ceiling. The screen had a green skull on it with no lower jaw and a bone sticking through it on either side of the skull.

Pulling a remote from out of nowhere and laying back on a couch large enough to hold two Alicorns and one human in comfort, Chris pressed the power button and the screen lit up with some seemingly random pictures. Why did we need to look at a movie of somepony stopping bullets from hitting him by simply raising his hand? And what did it have to do with an apparent floor plan to the hospital? Then finally there was a picture of us, laid on the bed Stevens said we could use.

“Welcome to the Waaagh! Room. Don’t ask,” Chris said, taking a deep breath, “We need to plan out a defensive strategy but we need to figure out one thing: magic. If we can use something similar to Shining Armor’s shield that he used at the wedding, it would be an ideal start. But what we need is something that can stop a bullet. That just stopped Changelings that are both larger and slower than a bullet.”

“Well that’s all nice but how is that even possible?” I asked.

He rolled his eyes, “Magic is a form of energy as I’ve been led to believe. A bullet travels due to kinetic energy. If we could figure out a shield that drains kinetic energy in milliseconds, then no bullet could even touch us. We can’t have it rebound since it could kill somepony in the resulting crossfire. The question though is: what do we do with the energy? Do we store it or convert it into something else?”

“I suggested storing it for retaliating against our would-be attackers,” Nightmare piped up as the screen showed an animation of us firing a bolt of lightning but the bolt used was twice the size it should be.

“And I suggested converting it. Maybe into light to blind them,” Chris said as the screen showed us creating a shield that brightened quickly and intensely, causing several faceless human shapes to place their arms in front of their faces. “So you have the deciding vote. Or, perhaps you can think of an alternative method of using the energy?”

I shook my head, “Why not use it to increase the strength of the shield itself?”

“Because we could overload it and cause it to collapse on itself. While it would only result in a migraine for us, it will also leave us vulnerable until we can set up another which would take a few seconds,” Nightmare replied in a tone of voice that sounded like I should have known that.

“Which we may not get, so you see why we can’t do it that way,” Chris said. “So I’m afraid it’s my idea or Nightmare’s.”

I closed my eyes for a few seconds as I tried to think. If I went with Nightmare’s idea, we could hurt somepony quite badly and I doubt Chris or I would like it. But Chris’ idea could blind our attackers and everypony else. Unless…

“Your idea Chris, can the light be focused into a beam?” I asked. If I’m right we may just have a plan.

As Chris was about to speak, Nightmare interrupted, “Yes, it would be easy enough to focus the light since we are still dealing with energy. So I guess you’re going with Chris’ idea?”

I nodded my head, making Chris smile broadly, “Great stuff! Now we can come up with a plan of action. If I’m right and we can essentially be three ponies, we can both protect our friends and keep up the illusion that we are in our room while the third walks through the hospital, gathering intelligence.”

“I may need to inform you all that this kind of division limits our proximity to the hospital, no further,” Nightmare warned, looking at us.

“That’s fine, we don’t need to go beyond here anyway. I vote for Dream to be the walking target,” Chris said, raising his hand like a child in class.

Nightmare raised an eyebrow, “Why should she be the one to walk around?”

“She knows more magic than I do and you aren’t the most sociable pony to walk the earth or Equestria,” Chris said as he placed his hand behind his head with a grin on his face.

I nodded my head, “I agree, but I’m pretty sure I’ll get lost though.”

Chris chook his head, “Doubtful, the hospital has signs in the hallways and there is the reception if you have any questions.”

Nightmare rolled her eyes, “Fine, I’ll go along with this little idea. What happens if we find out that doctor is a less than upstanding person?”

Chris’ expression darkened slightly, “We stop him… and the nurse too if she is involved. Ah, looks like the dream is coming to an end. Sorry again about the pillow, I know it’s a pain but I have no idea on how to stop it. Although, this has got to be the strangest conversation we’ve had so far, hasn’t it?”

As I was about to respond, the familiar darkness surrounded us and abruptly ended the dream.

**** **** **** ****

Time: 06:23
Date: Spartaday
Location: Sunrise Hospital and Medical Centre, Las Vegas

Again with this pillow! Now I need to get a new one, it’s going to be an interesting conversation with one of the orderlies/nurses/whatever. I looked around and saw that the others were still asleep… wait, Scott was awake. I felt a slight but sharp pain in the back of my head and wheeled around to see the door opening. Not to self/selves: figure out a less painful way of alerting myself.

It was Dr. Stevens being followed by a nurse who was pushing a trolley with a number of small bottles and bandages. I tried to read what they said but it was all in medical gibberish. I know planes, firearms and a number of things when it came to magic thanks to Nightmare and Chris but sadly none of them bothered to learn basic medicine. Oh well, as long as it’s not dangerous they can give us whatever they want.

Dr. Stevens walked up to Scott with a small smile, “Right then Mister Scott. It is time for us to check your progress and change your bandages.”

I didn’t want to look so I tried to turn my attention to the decoy in my room. It looked around and found neither the doctor or Eleanor were in the room with it. Okay, let’s try Chris’ plan. One question: how does one get their split personalities to take control of an illusion? Maybe if I tried to let go of my control over it. It didn’t appear to be very effective as I felt it begin to fade away. I needed it to remain there so I stopped. I wasn’t about to give up though.

I created another copy of myself but one that was Nightmare’s exact duplicate. Azure armour, the makeup and the two identical Cutie Marks, not my split ones. Looking at it I tried to let go of the controls and felt it begin to fade away. Scott, Dr. Stevens and the nurse looked at me, wondering what in Tartarus I was up to. I couldn’t give them an explanation since I needed to concentrate.

I felt the illusion before me nearly fade from existence and vanish but all of a sudden, it felt like it was trying to grab hold of the world. I was amazed and a little scared that the illusion before me fought for its existence. It wasn’t moving a hoof but I could feel its presence in this plane becoming stronger. I tried to get more control over it just in case I just did something catastrophic but it then seemed to reject my attempts, I felt my control over it slipping away faster than ever.

I was getting scared as the Nightmare look-alike began to smile evilly at me. I moved back slightly, almost falling off the bed as a result. Then, all of a sudden it rolls its eyes at me.

I felt like a frog had jumped down my throat and my heart tried to leap up and meet it, “N-Nightmare?”

Again, she rolled her eyes, “Expecting that idiot? I’m a little hurt.”

I was flabbergasted by the scene before me as Nightmare looked over her body, “H-how?”

She didn’t look up at me as she responded flatly, “As you let your control slip, I was able to get a hoof in the door –as it were – and take over. Simple really, but I am glad you got me down right. All we need now is Chris.”

“Nightmare is that you?” We both looked over and saw Scott looking at us incredulously. Not knowing how best to respond, we nodded our heads instead, “That’s awesome!”

“I’m glad you are so easy to impress Scott,” Nightmare replied, her expression was neither warm nor cold. “Now it’s just that buffoon.”

Just then there was a knock at the door, the others woke up and saw what we already were seeing: me but with completely white armour and that plane and moon Cutie Mark on both sides. She stuck her tongue out at us and grinned.

“Somepony call? So what do you think?” She said, sticking her chest out with pride, “You were rather distracted by Nightmare and were losing control of the illusion in our room so I helped myself. I also decided to do a small change to the armour and the Cutie Marks. I doubt many would notice or care really since you already changed both once. Hey everypony.”

Everypony looked at us with dumbfound expressions as all three of my personalities were standing before them. Well, Nightmare and I were sat on the bed and Chris was stood by the door.

Before the barrage of questions, I spoke up, “Chris, if you could change your appearance… why not have changed into a stallion instead?”

Chris just laughed, “Mainly because we are supposed to be keeping up an illusion if somepony were to see me in the window. Come on Nightmare, you should be in our room. I saw that doctor coming up the stairs on my way here. Don’t worry, he went to the bathroom so we still have a few minutes.”

Nightmare shook her head, “Fine, you better get a move on Dream. I hate not knowing what’s going on around me.”

As she jumped off the bed, I did so as well. I looked at us and saw that neither of us had any stitching in our chest. Could it have dissolved? Or did it vanish as I reformed my body after turning into mist? But this wasn’t the question I needed answering.

“How do we keep in contact?” As I asked the both of them looked at me as if I just asked the world’s dumbest question.

“We are still connected to each other,” Nightmare explained. “We can keep in contact through our thoughts.”

“Yup, what the dark pony said,” Chris said with a smirk. “I need to practise some magic since I only truly know basic telekinesis. I guess this soggy thing will work.”

With that he took my sodden pillow and carried it in his magic grip while Nightmare went down the hallway, heading for our room. I minded out of the way as Chris jumped up onto my bed and this caused me to look in Scott’s direction. I saw a large portion Scott’s head was bruised badly, showing a rather sickly colour of yellow and purple. It clashed with his coat and his mane colours. The eye he usually had covered was swollen and bloodshot.

“That was quite interesting,” Sugarberry stated. I looked around the room and saw the others nodding their agreement. Tenderheart did her best to nod but only achieved what looked like an epileptic seizure.

“Trust me, you don’t know the half of it,” I replied, “Now if you’ll excuse this mare, I’m off on a walkabout.”

“Wait, what?” I got a funny look from Tenderheart, “Where are you going?”

I rolled my eyes, “Basically I’m walking around but I'm going to be our eyes and ears for this place since we have a potential issue with the doctor. Not Stevens there, a different one in my room. I should be able to stay in contact with Chris and Nightmare via a form of link akin to what is known colloquially as telepathy. I don’t know if it will work or how it could be possible but as long as it does, I won't argue.”

“Well, good luck Dream, try getting to the reception and see if they don’t have a map of Las Vegas for us. Please?” Chris asked, tilting his head to the side and giving me puppy dog eyes.

I was rather taken aback from either shock or embarrassment at the sight of somepony who looked exactly like me giving me that look. I don’t know which is worse. I gave a deep sigh and nodded my head as I walked out the door.

I've reached our room. I almost leapt out of my coat as I looked around frantically.

“It’s Nightmare,” Chris said. I turned around and saw him standing by the doorway, looking at me with a deadpan expression. “I guess that answers your question huh?”

I nodded my head as Chris went back inside, with Dr. Stevens just coming out as well. I moved out of his way but he didn’t move. He looked at me with a completely neutral expression. He had poker face that would leave the professionals guessing for eons.

“So, you’re going to walk around the hospital like it’s some common public park?” He asked, his voice as neutral as his face. “Well?”

“That’s kind of the plan. Nightmare is keeping an eye out for that doctor while Chris is looking after our friends while I get an idea of the situation around us,” I replied, holding my head up high like the princess I am. Somewhat anyway but you get the idea.

“Well, I doubt I can change your mind but I must ask you to be careful. Not many doctors or nurses here share our sympathy with your group. They hide it quite well though so just keep on your toes… sorry hooves.” He warned.

“Thank you for the warning, I should be able to deal with whatever this world can dish out,” I responded confidently as I walked down the hall.

Nightmare’s POV

This room… it makes me feel uneasy. The overall layout is alright but the colours are not to my liking. If I wanted to see this much white, I would have stayed in Dream’s mind and stared at a blue-white star or Celestia’s castle. And those horrific curtains, ugh. Did the store they got them from only stock vomit-inducing colours? I decided to block them out by thinking about my current situation: sitting on a bed, waiting for the possibly fake doctor to come in. Then there was that Eleanor woman.

She seemed sincere from what I’ve seen through Dream’s eyes but I wouldn’t put it past her to rat us out if given the chance. I may be paranoid but that’s my more evil demeanour talking. It’s what I would do to be honest. Then again, she seemed rather afraid of the doctor for some reason. Could he be violent? My subjects exhibited the same fear when I returned from my imprisonment. Could it be the same kind of fear?

Hey Nighty, this thought talk is awesome! My head pounded as Chris’ annoying voice decided to interrupt my thoughts.

Call me that again and I will put you in an eternal nightmare. I threatened.

Ok, fine. See any of our ‘friends’ yet? I could hear his emphasis on the ‘friends’ part so it was easy to assume who he was referring to.

Surprisingly no, it’s making me uneasy. I replied. It was true, that doctor should have been here by now.

As I considered what could be happening, the door opened and I turned my head around to see who came through. It was Eleanor, smiling again as she walked into the room.

“Hello Dream, ho- what happened to your armour? Wasn’t it a different colour?” She asked. Well, at least she wasn’t completely stupid.

“I found a way to change it back. I’m more comfortable with it being this way,” I replied.

“Ok, well how are you feeling today?” She asked sincerely.

“A few joints still ache but I’m fine,” I replied.

“Good. Now would you tell me why you acted like a child and tried to run off? I know you wanted to see your friends but I was under the doctor’s orders. Lucky for me you came back before the doctor found out. I would have gotten my head bitten off,” She said, I could sense that small hint of fear in her voice, despite her attempts to disguise it.

As much as I would have enjoyed thinking over the image of the doctor physically biting her head off, I had some questions, “Eleanor, what is his name? He has never told me of it and it’s weird. All the doctors I've seen have nametags. Call me crazy but I just find it rather peculiar.”

Her eyes widened slightly but I managed to catch the subconscious movement, “Well… he tends to be rather forgetful of some things and his nametag is one of them.”

I shook my head, “Nice try. I've seen enough of him to notice he is rather meticulous, forgetting his nametag seems as likely your moon being comprised of cheese. I want answers and now: who are the two of you? Where are my things and what is it you’re planning?”

She looked like her mind had a major malfunction, oh how I miss messing with ponies. Sure she’s human but I’ll take what I get. She looked lost for words, opening her mouth and closing it like a fish out of water. I had to fight off my desire to laugh… sadly I failed and cackled madly. I hadn’t laughed like this since I declared the night would be eternal back in Ponyville.

All of a sudden her face went dead serious, shutting me up instantly, “Well, well. It seems you aren’t so stupid after all…”

Dream’s POV

I walked down to the ground floor since my limbs weren’t so sore anymore. The reception was filled with patients filling in forms, reading magazines and the odd one being rushed in. The door leading outside looked like a window, comprised mainly of glass and the frame. The ‘wall’ if it could be called that was also glass, reaching the ceiling. I felt like I may as well be in a fish tank. I got a number of stares from the patients and visitors.

“Pony!” Oh for the love of all that is good in this world not this. My appearance also attracted the attention of some young minds.

I was soon almost tackled to the ground by four girls, the eldest of which seemed no older than seven. The youngest appeared to be at least four if I'm right and she had the biggest eyes of them all as she stared at me as if I was the only thing that mattered in her world. They grabbed and pulled on my coat and hooves, trying to convince me to play with them despite my protests.

If the others could see me know, Chris would laugh and Nightmare would facehoof. Sugarberry and Tenderheart would probably join in but I doubt that Scott would allow his masculinity to drop that low. If it wasn’t for the mother that looked like she had fought in two World Wars stopping them, I would probably end up being forcibly adopted by them. She looked like those military mothers, in full formal uniform but she had a bag with her that screamed ‘mother’. I didn’t take much notice of the bars and chevrons on her shoulders but I thanked her for saving me from a fate worse than death or another thousand year sentence on the moon.

“No problem, I can see you aren’t used to it. What brings you here? Are you here to do some charity work by performing or something?” She asked.

I shook my head, “No, I was involved in a car crash. Somehow I managed to get the best of it with only a few injuries while my friends… weren’t so lucky.”

Charles, he will be missed, “I'm staying around for a short time before looking around the city.”

“Oh, you’re from out of town?” She asked.

I giggled slightly, “More like out of this country if I’m to be more accurate.”

“Oh, that’s nice, what do you think of the States?” She asked, seemingly interested in what I had to say.

“I’ve been gassed, almost killed, got run out of town and was involved in an accident that killed somepony I knew to name a few things that happened to me and my friends since I got here. Not exactly what I would call a prime example of somepony’s country,” I replied sarcastically.

“Oh dear, so-” She got cut off as a few shouts rang through the ground floor.

“There’s one of those abominations!” Oh dear sweet Celestia why now? And for the love of Luna’s rear end, why me?

We have a situation. I heard Nightmare’s voice calling out in my head.

That makes two of us! I thought back frantically.

There wasn’t just one guy, there were at least twenty of them. Now this wouldn’t be bad if they weren’t carrying an assortment of improvised weapons as well as actual weapons. I spotted baseball bats, firearms, one guy had a slingshot for reasons I wasn’t in any mood to find out as well as things you would find being carried by an angry mob. One lady had a frying pan if you can believe it and dressed in her pyjamas, complete with fuzzy cat slippers.

What’s wrong? Chris called out, sounding worried.

Eleanor isn’t who we think she is. Nightmare responded.

To Tartarus with that, we have a PAPA mob here in the reception area! I cried out.

Reacting on fear and instinct, I ran as fast as I could across the room and up the stairs. There was no way on Equestria or Earth that I am letting them get me. I heard the sound of gunshots and screaming echoing through the ground floor as the hospital security ran down to stop the mob. I felt something fly past my ear but I ignored it and continued running.

Chris’ POV

Buck, buck, buck! This isn’t good, we need to get out of here now! But our friends are still injured and the only exit is blocked by the mob. This is bad since we can’t rely on police for assistance. It may be too late for us by the time they arrived.

The others could see my panic but then again when you are pacing up and down like a little filly, it tends to alert others to your dilemma. I could hear them calling to me and yet I couldn’t hear them. It’s when you hear something but are so zoned out that you don’t pay attention and not realise what is being said. The only thing in my mind right now was trying to figure out an escape plan.

“You alright?” I finally paid enough attention to realise I heard Rick’s voice. The doctor looked worried.

“No, we have a situation. PAPA is here and in force. They are most likely after us and any ponies here,” I respond quickly. Taking a deep breath I continue, “Now we need a way to get out of here safely but I only know of the one exit and they have secured that position. And now Nightmare might be in danger as well. I don’t know how exactly but it involves that Eleanor woman.”

“Ok, look, I’ll get your friends out. There is another exit through the back of the building. I’ll take them there and get them into an ambulance. You get yourselves out and we move. Got it?” He responded.

I nodded my head and charged out the door with Nightmare’s situation at the forefront of my mind.

Nightmare’s POV

“Who are you really?” I hiss, this woman is the cause of all this? No wonder Chris hates being human, nothing but backstabbers, the lot of them.

“Oh, I’m just somepony you know. Now you are going to come with me,” She replies with a devilish smile as she reached out to grab me.

Sadly for her, I am not Dream who holds herself back or Chris who is a hopeless idiot. I am Nightmare Moon, the terror of the night and an antagonist. Meaning, I don’t have moral obligations to hold myself back. I concentrated and fired off a blast of lightning at her, not enough to kill but enough to overload her nervous system and paralyze her from the neck down.

After scanning her body to make sure her vocals still worked, I pressed my hoof against her throat as she laid down on the cold floor, “Now, you will tell me where my things are. If you don’t, your breathing will become permanently weaker.”

“I-in the janitor’s closet around the corner,” She replied.

I walked out the room and around the corner. Sure enough there was a closet for the janitors before me. The knob tried to mock me as I looked at it, as if I was going to try and turn it with my hooves. I reached out with my magic and turned the knob, the door was locked. Now as a sensible pony would go back and get the key from Eleanor, I was not a sensible pony.

With one small blast of raw magic the door flew open with force, slamming loudly as it hit the wall, barely hanging on its hinges. Inside there were several bottles of cleaning supplies as well as mops and brooms of varying sizes and colourations. There was even a trolley of sorts that the janitor would use to carry his/her implements. In the corner of the room were several bags… one of them had that strange plane that appeared on Dream’s flank.

I grabbed the bags and ran out, back to the room to find Chris standing there. He looked shocked at ‘Eleanor’ as he turned his head towards me. I just rolled my eyes.

“She’s only paralyzed. She’ll be able to move in an hour or two, now let’s go!” He wasted no time as we began running down the hallway to find our third wheel.

Dream, where are you?! I shouted in our minds.

I’m nearing the room where the others are, why? She replied.

Good, we’ll meet you there and get out of here. Chris called out as the two of us skidded across the tiled floor, trying to go around a corner at high speed. Metal horseshoes and tiles don’t mix.

As we neared the room, we saw the familiar sight of Dream’s purple and white armour. We all looked into the room and found it was deserted, just like Dr. Stevens said. We followed Chris as we ran past many confused people, some were shouting for us to slow down. One even said ‘this isn’t Kentucky!’ Whatever that is supposed to mean.

Running through the near endless hallway ended as we found an exit that lead out to the parking lot from the back end of the hospital. It must have been used for deliveries of medical supplies and the like. We looked around in a panic until Dream found the ambulance that the doctor talked about.

As we ran to it, we saw Dr. Stevens waving to us. The doors were open and we saw none of them were on stretchers. Sugarberry and Scott were stood next to Tenderheart who was out of her cast. We clambered in and – after placing the bags down – shut the doors behind us. We heard the door to the ambulance open and close. In seconds we heard the siren and the jolt of the vehicle moving as speed.

“Well, that was fun,” I commented sarcastically.

This earned a few laughs from the others, since when did I make others laugh? Whatever. I sat down and got ready for the long haul to wherever we were headed. After a few minutes the ambulance stopped and switched its sirens off.

The doors opened quickly as we found ourselves in a room that was as dark as a starless night, minus the moon as well. I could here Dr. Stevens’ voice, guiding us through the darkness. I heard Scott curse as he fell over something. I couldn’t help but feel paranoid. This did not make me feel comfortable in any way.

We came up to some steps but that wasn’t bad, Sugarberry had apparently banged her fetlock on one but we were too occupied to worry about that. We then had to navigate a hallway as dark as the room, I guessed it was a hallway since we went left and right several times and I could feel our hoofsteps echo slightly. My eyesight is supposed to be perfect at night but right now I’m as helpless as a filly. I hated it.

“Right, we’re here!” I heard the doctor’s voice say.

Well, if you have ever been in a situation where you want to brutally murder everypony in front of you, this would be how I felt. The room we were in was dark for a few seconds until the lights came on. We were on a wooden platform in the centre of the room with a studio audience in front of us.

While I don’t suffer stagefright, these people were wearing apparel with the word ‘PAPA’ on it in various colours. I looked to the others who were shocked and scared. Chris looked like he was going to be sick and Dream looked like she was going to burst into tears. I looked around and saw Dr. Stevens standing in front of us, behind a podium with the words ‘DEAL OR NO DEAL’ in huge capital letters.

“So my little ponies, welcome to my show,” Dr. Stevens said.

“What is the meaning of this?!” I seethed. I could feel my body wanted to tear him apart like tissue paper but I knew I had to hold it back.

Chris’ POV

Ever have one of those days were nothing seems to go your way? Well, that’s today for us. We seemed to be contestants on a gameshow but it’s watched by an audience filled with the scum of the earth to put it mildly. Nightmare looked like she was ready to start a war as she shouted. I didn’t know what was scarier, her or the horde of PAPA supporters? I’m swinging towards Nightmare, I live with her… kind of.

“Simple, we are going to play a game my dear Nightmare Moons,” Dr. Stevens replied with a grin. Something seemed off though, his voice. I’m sure I heard that voice somewhere, “I am going to offer you a deal: you join me and your friends will be fully healed and released. If not, these fine folks will kill you all where you stand. So: deal or no deal?”

At that moment it clicked, the near same thing happened with Chrysalis. I took a step forward – I can’t say without fear since I was still shaking in my shoes – and spoke up.

“Why not show us who you are Discord? Scared of something?” I asked, trying to mask my fear as much as possible.

Dr. Stevens laughed, “I see now why you’re the smart one.” He snapped his fingers and in an instant the doctor was gone. In his place was the infamous Draconequus, “I had hoped to bring you on your own but your shenanigans forced my hand.”

“So Eleanor and that doctor?” Dream asked, fearing the answer we all knew.

“All moi. I would have gotten you along your trip to New York but you decided to go in the opposite direction. No matter, I can teleport us there in an instant. But we’re getting sidetracked here. Do we have an agreement or not?” He asked with a smirk.

Oh, buck.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay. Enjoy the longest chapter I've done so far for this story as an apology.