• Published 20th Jan 2013
  • 5,515 Views, 274 Comments

To Sleep, Perchance to... Nightmare? - Draconis187



It was going to be a normal, boring day... until I found I was in the body of a pony that should not even exist anymore.

  • ...
6
 274
 5,515

Land of Confusion

To Sleep, Perchance to… Nightmare?
Land of Confusion
Author: Draconis187

Time: ??:??
Date: ??
Location: ??

Okay, this is rather strange. I was laid in my hospital bed just a few minutes ago, I know I am not that heavy a sleeper to not notice being sent to the bucking moon! And yet, despite all possibility here I am, on the Celestia damned moon! I looked around me and saw nothing but a desolate landscape before me, mocking me as I continued to fail in my attempt to figure out what exactly happened.

“I must be going mad.” I said out loud to myself. Hold on, why can I talk in space or better yet since we are on the subject… how can I breathe in space? Space in this universe is a vacuum and as far as I know, this wasn’t Equestria’s moon. This one is too dull and there are no moon pies to speak of. I could go for one right about now to settle my nerves.

“Nope, not mad. You're just dreaming my little filly. What are moon pies anyway?” A voice said. I almost jumped out of my coat in fright as white suit wearing human appeared next to me with a grin on his face. “Like it? I found myself like this once the merge was finished. I guess you were the very thing stopping me from appearing human in here. The name’s Chris.”

“Oh shut up.” This voice sounded familiar, it sounded like me. As I looked around, an angrier looking version of myself was standing before me, looking at me with judging eyes. “Straighten up. You're a princess and an Alicorn so I suggest you get over this newborn fears you foal.”

“W-who are you?” I asked tentatively.

The human smiled and raised his arms. “I am the ghost of Christmas past! And she is the Ghost of I don’t care!” This earned him a slap from the other me’s mane but he just smiled as he rubbed his face. “Totally worth it.”

“We are you, or you could say that you are us.” This ‘Chris’ said, pulling up a chair out of nowhere. “You may want to sit down and let us do some explaining. I think I’ll need you for this as well Nightmare Moon.”

“Why should I listen to you?” I protest.

“Because… we are you or you are us and therefore you must listen to yourself when that you is talking. You know? This is rather confusing for me as well.” Chris shrugged.

“I'm trying to figure out the dual Cutie Mark issue. Why some funny plane and a moon, it hardly makes sense doesn’t it?” Nightmare Moon asked.

“This would be the part where I make a joke about not making sense but I’ll pass this time since it is quite a serious matter.” Chris said. “The plane. It appears to be a silhouette of the ADF-01 FALKEN, my favourite plane from the Ace Combat series but that can’t be the reason it appeared as part of a Cutie Mark. What can a plane represent? Flight? That would be indicative of freedom but freedom of what?”

“I’m not sure.” I mumble as I look at the Mark on my left flank.

“A plane is a weapon, used for either good or evil depending on the user.” He continued. “A human apparently has an endless capacity for good or evil depending on their choices in life. But this doesn’t explain it. Maybe it has to do with something else? The ADF has a variety of weapons so let’s look at them maybe that will explain it. The long range Tactical Laser System or TLS is an extremely deadly weapon but we’re looking at its principle, not destructive power.”

“You are not making much sense.” I said but Nightmare Moon raised her hoof at me to silence me.

“The weapon has no firing delay between its activation to reaching its maximum range. This can be akin to acting on impulse, an action with little or no predetermined plan. But its range allows one to think long enough to formulate said plan.” He continues. “The next is the XLAA missiles. I won’t bore you with much of the details but it could refer to dealing with multiple opponents or multiple situations at once. In other words: multitasking. Lastly is the Fuel-Air Explosion Bomb or FAEB for short. This is a wide range bomb and could be akin to the fact that bottled up emotions make for a bigger impact than those who do not.”

“It doesn’t make much sense like Dream says but we have yet to analyse the moon, correct?” Nightmare mused as Chris took a deep breath.

He nodded. “Of course. For Nightmare Moon, the moon referred to her connection with it since she and Luna were one and the same. This is not the case with me for obvious reasons but the moon has other meanings if you look deeply enough and connect the dots.”

He took another deep breath before continuing. “What would the moon represent? Romance for one as many poems have been made about it but I am not romantically inclined in any way so that is ruled out so maybe it’s more about emotion itself. Serenity maybe as many people or ponies would look up at the moon with a smile when they relaxed after a busy day and feel their worries being carried away on the breeze? Or maybe because it is beyond our reach or at least for most people/ponies it is. But that could also be attributed to one’s desire to reach out beyond their location and for some, beyond their limits.”

“So what does it have to do with the plane?” Nightmare asked.

“Now we connect the dots. The TLS allows one to think and if the moon is factored into this equation, it could mean to think beyond our current standing or beyond standard thinking. Thinking out of the box, remember the day in Omaha?” Nightmare merely nodded. “That was a little out of the box thinking that got us out. It wasn’t a conventional action that anypony or person could take or think of at the time. If the plane is factored in once more it could also add to the fact that I thought of it rather quickly as the FALKEN is no slouch in the air.”

“So your talent is thinking? How… inspiring.” Nightmare mocked as Chris shook his head.

“I doubt it’s that simple. Let’s look once more. Freedom, again freedom from what, to do what? The plane would simply mean freedom from the ground but if you factor in the moon once more, this becomes freedom of the world itself and its strife. As you’ve noticed Nightmare, I’m rather disconnected from everypony but it gives one perspective as I look at the entire picture from both ends of the spectrum.”

“You're taking this rather easy.” Nightmare noted, looking at me.

“I just want to know as well.” I responded as the strange human spoke once more.

“Throughout this trip, most of my decisions were on impulse like I said with the TLS. The decision to drop everything and go to New York was basically on impulse as I had no plan on what to do once I got there, bringing Scott along was also on impulse. He stole from us and yet I wanted him to come along. A Cutie Mark doesn’t just show one’s special talent, it can also give a short description to one’s personality as well.”

“You may have to explain this one.” I asked, he was losing me in this talk.

“Let’s look at Rainbow Dash shall we? Her Cutie Mark is a cloud with a rainbow coloured lightning bolt coming from it, correct?” Nightmare and I both nodded our heads. “Now, lightning is quick and is also indicative of an impulsive personality. The colours are incredibly bold and brash, like her as she tends to forgo most formalities.”

“Okay, I think we get it. How about Applejack?” Nightmare asked with a malicious smirk.

“Three apples. Her family are the Apples, as we all know and all three could represent Granny Smith, Big Mac and herself. Applebloom could have been a fourth apple or not if she had been around when Applejack got hers. Applejack values her family and the farm which is reflected in the Applebuck Season and Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000 episodes as the apples are quite close to one another. This family bond stretches to encompass her friends as well but is not represented on her Mark.”

“Okay now what about you then? Got a definitive answer?” Nightmare asked with a smirk.

“Yeah, I believe I do. The Moon and plane are like two sides of the same coin. The dark side of the moon is both thought to be mysterious and dangerous which a plane such as the FALKEN is as well. Maybe not mysterious but it is dangerous like the dark side of the moon if the plane is used for the wrong reasons. But like the light side of the moon, it has its good side as being a feat of engineering and dedication and it is one of the most reliable aircraft known, even if it is a fictional one.”

“That is not what I asked you foal.” Nightmare said, sounding like she was getting bored.

“Sorry, I would venture a guess to say that my talent would be to think on my hooves or feet like I have now but my ideas can be either good or bad depending on the situation. Strike hard and fast like a plane but as mysterious as the dark side of the moon.”

“You’re just thinking of that ‘Be a Man’ song aren’t you?” Nightmare sighed.

Chris just chuckled. “Yup, sorry I just lost my concentration. What were we talking about again?”

“Ugh, I feel I must apologise to you for being a part of him.” Nightmare said to me as she facehoofed herself.

The ground began to shake as the area around me began to go dark. Chris and Nightmare just sighed. “Well, it looks like this is the end of our conversation. I guess I should consider what my talent is while you’re awake. Give Scott and the others my regards. Oh and I apologise for the pillow, word of advice: drink some water, it really helps.”

**** **** **** ****

Time: 07:34
Date: Hamsterday
Location: Sunrise Hospital and Medical Centre, Las Vegas

Why is there a pillow shoved down my throat? I swear if it is because of those two, I will hurt them. Hold on… if I hurt them would I be hurting myself as a result? If they died, would I die as well? Ugh, I best not dwell on it and first remove this intruder that has invaded my oesophagus. I pulled it out with my telekinesis as the doctor entered my room.

“If you’re hungry we can organise you some food.” He said with a raised eyebrow. “You don’t have to eat our upholstery to prove a point.”

“Not exactly my fault doctor.” I responded as I tossed the now sodden pillow to the floor. “I blame the voices in my head.”

“Developing schizophrenia? That is interesting but not unheard of in cases like yours.” The doctor noted. “I heard you went against my orders last night and went to find your friends.”

“Of course, you can’t stop an Alicorn on a mission.” I softly chuckled before dropping the smirk. “Sorry, I just had to see if they were all right and I was in no mood to wait patiently. A thousand year sentence on the moon would do that to you.”

“But you weren’t on the moon for a millennium… were you?” The doctor asked, looking rather curiously at me.

“I'm afraid the answer is both yes and no. I don’t know much about it myself and I doubt I will. All I know is I know the pain and solitude from that time and yet I feel the experiences of a life no older than two decades.” I said absent-mindedly.

“I… see. I will get you in for a brain scan to make sure you didn’t suffer anything in the crash, just to be safe.” The doctor said, wiring down on a clipboard before hanging it at the end of my bed.

“Sadly doctor I doubt it would be necessary. I am perfectly fine… all things considered but I know my mind is 100% fine.” I protested. “Besides, there is no telling what would happen if you subjected an Alicorn to an MRI scan. I don’t want to sit with a gigantic bill should it blow up or something.”

“It’s a risk I will have to take to ensure your well being.” The doctor countered. “Now, Eleanor will help you see your friends should you choose to visit them again. But you may only see them if Eleanor or I take you, no-one else. Is that understood?”

I sighed. “Fine. It’s better than nothing I guess.”

“Good. I have a couple of other patients but I will return later on to take you to the MRI scanner. Good day to you Miss Nightmare, Eleanor.” The doctor said as he turned to leave the room.

“Dream, my name is Dream. Not Nightmare Moon.” I said as I finally got up.

“I will have to add this to your chart later on.” The doctor said softly but my ears heard him. Good thing my hearing was not as bad as I thought. Even my headache was nothing more than a tolerable nuisance.

“So then Eleanor, any PAPA sightings around here?” I asked, the bane of anypony’s existence was that horridly annoying extremist group.

“Well, they have held a seminar or two in the city but not many people turned up for them so they resorted to preaching from stands in the street.” She replied as she sat next to me. “Do you mind if I?”

I gave a smile. “If you want, but I warn you: it is rather cold.”

Eleanor ran her hand through my ethereal mane and pulled back, her hand shaking as if Pinkie Pie shook it. “That’s not cold, it’s like subzero. Why is it so cold?”

“Space. My mane contains actual stars and to stop them from making me spontaneously combust, my mane has to be as cold as space itself.” I responded. “That reminds me, do you have a brush? I need to get some dead stars out.”

“Be back now.” She smiled as she got up and left the room.

I gave a sigh and got out of bed to walk over to my window. Cars and taxi’s were driving past, oblivious to the world around them. They say ignorance is bliss but this was a state above ignorance. I noticed people walking past each other, barely even noticing one another as they bumped into or past each other. They just carried on as if nothing happened, as if nearly getting bumped into the ground was a typical thing to them. It was a rather weird scene to look at.

“I got you a brush, would you mind staying in bed? The doctor would have my head if he found you standing.” Eleanor said as she stood next to me, looking outside. “Feeling homesick?”

“Hard to feel homesick when you are supposed to be nonexistent. The Elements were supposed to destroy me and yet, here I am. I walk among the living once more.” I said, not taking my eyes of a man listening to music through his rather large headphones.

“But what about the human you?” She asked as she ran the brush through my mane. I barely felt it as it moved through my mane, picking up the dead stars and removing them.

“I don’t have a human me. Not entirely as you might think. This body used to be human but the human personality is no longer in control but neither is Nightmare Moon. I seem to be a combined personality of both. Their hopes, their desires, dreams and tastes I possess all of these and more.” I said as Eleanor stopped.

“So you are somepony else entirely then?” She surmised.

“That would be a half correct assumption since I am both of them. Ever since the start of this journey they have been slowly merging, becoming me. Something happened in the crash and I was created. Somehow they have retained their personalities and I was still brought into existence.” I placed my head in my hooves. “This is very confusing and it’s making my headache worse.”

“I’m sure you’ll figure it out.” She said. “Something wrong?”

I had moved my head away from the brush and took a few steps to the side, away from here. “The last human that was this interested in me had me sedated and I ended up in a makeshift concentration camp, awaiting my execution.”

“Oh, sorry. I guess that would make this kind of conversation awkward.” She said with a smirk.

I returned it. “You have no clue how right you really are.”

“But just waiting to die must have been problematic, what did you do?” She asked as I found myself attacked by her brushing.

“Not really me, Chris and Nightmare set to work together to get out. He thought of a plan while Nightmare carried it out. She was the magical muscle while he was the brains behind it.” I then began to spin the tale of the escape of Omaha. “-trapping them in a nightmare. They should already be free of it and hopefully they learned their lesson.”

“Don’t mess with Nightmare Moon?” Eleanor said with a smile.

“It was time to kick flank and chew bubblegum, and I ran out of gum.” I smiled.

“Okay, it looks like I got all the dead stars. What do you want to do?” She asked me.

“Well, I want to go and talk to the others. It looks like I’ll be out before them since they were in the I.C.U.” I said, turning around. “Oh, wait. I want to get my armour.”

I turned to where I had placed the armour the day before and saw something rather strange. The armour had changed from azure to white and purple. The white ran along the edges of the helmet while the purple made up the rest. The helmet had changed in design as well: instead of being a single piece of metal, the head section was still one piece but the section that covered my neck was made up of tightly packed plates. The part that went over my face had my left Cutie mark while my chestpiece had the one on the right. The chestpiece was mainly white with a purple outline, a precise opposite of my helmet.

My shoes had changed as well. Two of them were purple on the left while the other side was white and the other two were reversed. I guess there was no way of mixing up left or right anymore. The pattern that came up from the shoes had that FALKEN pointing its nose upwards while the wing were replaced by half crescent moons, the same went for the canards near where the cockpit should be but they pointed upwards. Why they changed was obvious but the question was how they changed.

“Wow, where did you get that?” Eleanor asked as I placed the armour on.

“I wish I knew.” I said as I began to walk towards the door, Eleanor stepped in my way. “Don’t try to say you have to carry me there, I’m not crippled.”

“I know but the doctor said I have to use the wheelchair.” She said, pointing to the chair in the corner.

“You do realise I can’t sit in that like a normal patient. Lyra would but I wouldn’t.” I deadpanned but I broke into a small fit of giggles as I imagined the mint coloured mare in that peculiar position while being wheeled around by her life’s dream.

“Then you are not going to see your friends, I'm sorry but that’s final.” She said, crossing her arms and standing by the door.

I could only smirk at her foalishness. “You forget who I am a part of and what she can do my little human.”

“Wha- ah!” She gave a small shout as I lost all feeling in my body, turning into a cloud of purple mist and going past her and through the door. “Get back here!”

If I could have talked back I would have but I had friends to see and precious little time to get there. I'm sure there were at least a couple of other ways to get past her but I just wanted to try this one out for fun. But as I reached the door where my friends were, I saw a number of guards barring my entry. Sure I could have gone through the door but I would barely utter a few words before being dragged off.

I needed a plan and a rather sneaky one came into my head as I remembered the second episode of Nightmare’s appearance. The Shadowbolts, I decided to use the same concept but with different ponies.

I reformed and walked into the guards’ field of vision. They were rather surprised by how easily I gave up but they didn’t see the cloud of purple smoke hanging in the air nearby as they escorted me back to my room. I reformed and then casually walked into the room, to the shock of the three ponies inside.

“Ni- Dream?” Sugarberry said, utterly dumbfounded as she saw the other me walking away. “But they’re taking you away aren't they?”

“Yes and no. Do you remember the second episode of season one?” I asked, much to the nod of the two mares. I was about to question Scott but then I remembered that he had only seen Hurricane Fluttershy. “Do you also remember the Shadowbolts scene?”

Tenderheart was the first to understand. “I see, that’s amazing! Even better seeing it in person, or pony. Whatever it was still cool.”

I gave a small bow. “Thank you, you have been a wonderful audience. But to the reason I’m here: how are you all feeling today?”

“Well, Tenderheart said that the damage to our body was rather extensive so we’ll be the last ones out.” Tenderheart said as the others just looked at her. “What? She knows more about ponies than the entire staff here.”

“That goes without saying.” I said as I sat down on the bench I used last night and settled down. Why I didn’t use mist travel last night was beyond me but I guess I never considered it before now.

The four of us shared a laugh. Scott spoke up next, his cheerful smile still plastered on his face. “We are getting better Dream so there is no reason to worry. What about you though? What’s it like being a combination of two personalities? I guess you decided to change your armour to match right?”

I shook my head. “It’s rather strange. You're lucky if you think about it. I have one personality that is over a thousand years old and one that is not even a decent fraction of it. I just found the armour like this, how it changed is beyond me. Maybe there is a link beyond the physical between it and myself?”

“In any regard it looks awesome.” He said with a grin.

“You aren’t supposed to be here, visiting hours are over!” I turned around to see a fuming doctor looking at me.

He was beet red and looked ready to pop a blood vessel. He was short, about a pony’s height and slightly round. He had a patch of light brown hair on his head and wore spectacles that looked like Elton John’s.

As I was about to answer, a bout of royalty decided to voice itself and I just decided to roll with it. “Pardon the intrusion sir. I am merely checking up on the friends I was journeying with as we were all involved in the accident that landed them in their current states. I was unaware of the visiting hours and I shall return once they commence again.”

The doctor looked like he was unsure of how to answer but regained his composure and pushed his glasses further up his small nose. “Fine, I won't call security this time since you were unaware. You were in the accident and yet I hardly see a scratch on you. Are you sure you were with them?”

I was rather shocked. “Yes I was. My doctor decided to operate on me because of it.”

“Interesting, may you show me the scar?” He asked inquisitively.

“Sure.” I pulled off the chestpiece to show the stitches from the operation.

“I don’t see anything.” He said. I looked down at the scar and sure enough, it was not there. No stitches, nothing.

“Maybe it’s on the other me.” I murmured.

“Other you?” The doctor said.

“Yes, I created an image of myself that distracted the guards away from here while I tried to visit. The nurse and my doctor didn’t want me to see them on my own despite I could walk alright.”

“Hm, doesn’t sound like any of the doctors I know. We don’t mind it too much as long as the patient doesn’t have a contagious disease. Do you know his name?” He asked.

I tried to think and realised he never had an ID badge on him. “He didn’t have a badge on him like you do, Doctor Stevens.”

“Odd, it is mandatory to wear them at all times. The only exceptions are using the MRI scanner and during operations.” Stevens said, scratching his chin.

I felt a deep pit in my stomach as I ran through what it could mean. “Uh, sorry to be a nuisance but mind if I stay here? If he is who I think he is, we all might be in danger and I will not allow my friends to be hurt again.”

Stevens looked at me for a few seconds before responding. “Ok, here’s what we’ll do: do you have any control over that mirror image of yourself?”

I nodded. “Full control, I can also see what she sees.”

He showed a small smile. “That’s good. Now when this doctor comes back come and inform me. My office is down the hall and to the left. If I’m out, ask a nurse to page me and I’ll come as soon as I'm able. Other than that, do not leave here. There are facilities just over there in case nature calls.”

“Thank you Dr. Stevens.” I said with a smile.

Stevens shook his head. “My daughters love the show, it’s why I took the case. Tenderheart has been invaluable in helping me learn about treating ponies without consulting a vet every five minutes.”

Tenderheart blushed as he finished saying that. Stevens smiled at her for a second before heading for the door. “Use one of the empty beds when you feel tired. I’ll get one of the nurses to bring you a pillow and some blankets ASAP.”

“Thanks again Dr. Stevens.” I said with a smile.

He smiled wider this time as he was about to shut the door. “Call me Rick.”

Author's Note:

Another chapter done and dusted. Dream being paranoid? Maybe or maybe not.