• Published 11th Jun 2014
  • 1,838 Views, 33 Comments

The five stages of being turned down - Charzoid



Life by itself can be hard and when love is involved it can be harder. How we deal with both though can be sorted in stages. Spike is going to learn these stages soon.

  • ...
24
 33
 1,838

Stage 2 -Anger

It was very fortunate for Twilight's new home that unlike her old one it was a lot harder to burn down then wood with the now very grumpy young dragon inside it.

Yesterday's plans failed in more then one way for Spike.On top of getting caught by Twilight while trying to make Fancy Pants's tasks harder, he was sent to his room like a foal. She didn't accept his excuse that he was just messing around with the guy and went on about how he could of hurt other ponies or the ewes with his behavior. He had made sure the path he sent the ewes on was empty and even if a few ponies were in the way its not like they were charging rhinos.Stupid Fancy Pants stopped most of the stampede anyway so it wasn't like anyone got hurt.

As If that wasn't enough the stallion had the nerve to send him a letter about finishing the other tasks for Rarity a few hours after getting back with the wool.Apparently he ran into Fluttershy just outside the forest and when he told her about why he was going inside it,she offered him a hoof in guiding him to where they could be found. He almost stepped in some poison joke just before Fluttershy spotted him going in.Spike almost got the last laugh and yet now even his friends were helping his enemy. On the way back they found a sick and injured teen dragon who'd got bit by a star spider while flying too low, then crashed his wing into a branch. They took him to Fluttershy's to heal him up with her first aid kit. When he was feeling better he thanked them by offering some of his treasure he had recently started hoarding.

Did the guy have the world's dumbest luck spell on him or something? It made zero sense to him and the second he finished reading it he lit it on fire.He took his fury out next on the walls first by scratching at them.He accidentally burnt a few pictures he had of Rarity but was to mad to care or notice. After a while of this he did run out of juice and had to lay down but he was still upset. This week was no better now that Twilight wouldn't let him outside for the smallest thing without Flash Sentry following him around seeing as she had papers to do.

"Why is Twilight treating me like a hatchling? Its been a whole week since the incident and I haven't even done anything since then other then get irritated with this guy following me.Spike though to himself. As if reading his mind,Flash decided to speak just then.

"I know it bothers you being followed but Twilight's just doing this cause she cares you know." Flash hoped he was helping calm the young drake down.

"I know she does but I wish she cared a little less and trusted I could do something like go to the stupid market for some groceries by myself now." Spike replied

"Think of it this way! By tomorrow I'll be out of your scales and you can do what you want."Flash said with enthusiasm.

Before he had time to reply,a new voice entered their chat from behind them.

"Oh hi Flash and Spike, I haven't seen you two in a while."A soft voice greeted them.

Spike didn't say anything to her for a moment and pretended not to hear her while looking at some tomatoes. He didn't feel like talking to anypony right now. She got in the way of his plans and for that he felt upset to see her. Granted, he knew she didn't know anything about his current dislike of Fancy Pants,but he still didn't want to talk to the mare. A part of him knew that giving somepony the cold shoulder for something they didn't even realize they did was very unfair.

"Good morning Ms. Fluttershy,I haven't seen you for a while either. Spike has kinda been in a time out of sorts and in a bad mood but I'm keeping an eye on him." Flash said.

"Oh I had no idea! Is there anything I could do to make him feel better?" The yellow mare offered with concern in her voice.

When she noticed Spike wasn't around this week as much as usual,she just assumed he was out of town for something important. Spike wasn't very good at hiding his crush over the years and everyone close to him knew about it.When she first heard about Rarity and Fancy Pants getting married she was of course excited for them. She was also concerned though on how Spike would take it. She didn't think he'd do whatever it is he did to need a guard escort though.
Without warning Fluttershy suddenly pulled out a large scarf from her saddle bag and wrapped it around Spike. It was large and his favorite shade of green.
"I was planning to sell this to have a few extra bits but I know if I was grounded I'd want something comforting like a blanket to relax me."She said with a smile.

Finally breaking his silence, Spike turned around and started to rip the tip of the scarf unconsciously as he spoke to her.

"Do I look like I'm 4 years old to you? I don't need a dumb sympathy scarf."He said with an agitated tone in his voice. To have Twilight babying him with the guard was one thing but he didn't want anyone else to treat him like he needed watching over. Despite this however,the moment the words escaped his mouth he instantly regretted it. Fluttershy's ears went flat and her friendly smile turned into her saddest of frowns.

"Spike! She was only being nice to you."Flash scolded his princess's assistant.

"Oh,I didn't mean to make you upset. I just know how it feels to be hovered over. My parents were really protective of me. They made me cautious of so many things to the point that I started getting a bit paranoid about a lot of things. Sometimes when I felt embarrassed by it , getting a gift made me feel a bit better. I'm sorry,I know that's probably not the same reason you're being watched.I just thought it would make you feel better." She looked at the ground as if asking both it and him for forgiveness.
Spike knew Fluttershy was just trying to be a good friend.She had no idea why he was even grounded and here he was taking his anger out on her for no reason at all. It was Fancy Pants he was upset at but that didn't mean he needed to be upset at everyone else over it. Fluttershy didn't have a mean bone in her body so he knew she didn't mean anything mean by her gift. He then decided to put the scarf back on to show no hard feelings before replying.

"No,I'm sorry for snapping at you like that, Fluttershy.I've just been in a bad mood because of the whole being grounded thing.This scarf really is nice. Thanks for it."
Fluttershy looked a bit relieved but still a bit upset,so Spike thought of another way to apologize to her.He reached into his shopping bag on Flash's back and pulled out an extra amethyst gem that he brought for shopping.It was big enough to sell for at least 25 bits.That was likely way more than what Fluttershy would have gotten for the scarf.

"Wow, thanks Spike this is very generous of you." Fluttershy replied no longer sad.After a hug she then trotted away to sell her newly acquired gem.
After that brief encounter Spike tried a little harder to concentrate on who he was truly angry at. It was Fancy Pants's fault he was feeling this way after all. He felt like hunting the guy down and challenging him to a fight for Rarity's hoof but he knew that would likely not end well on his part. The next best thing would be one upping in something that he does for Rarity. Something he knew he could do better then him was help with things at the boutique. One of the elements of harmony getting married had brought more attention to ponyville and Rarity's fashion business. She'd love it if he offered to lend a helping claw with some of her work tomorrow.
There was no way at all he could see something like that backfiring on him. He wasn't called Twilight's number one assistant for nothing after all.

At Twilight's castle

Twilight had decided to take a little break from her papers since she was just about finished with them anyway. While she tried to concentrate on her new daring doo book she couldn't help let her mind wander to Spike. Specifically speaking she'd been thinking about his behavior recently. She had raised him since he was an egg and thought she'd taught him to be a bit more mature. It wasn't lost on her that the day Rarity got a steady boyfriend or possibly married that Spike wouldn't take it well but still. When she went to his room earlier after he left it looked like a horde of dragons wrecked the place. She knew grounding him again for something like this would only anger him more so she'd only ask him to clean up his room when he got back. It would probably be good to have a talk with him about this whole thing later as well.

Author's Note:

Sorry for this chapter being so brief and for the long wait on it.
This chapter felt a little easier to write on since we all can relate to having some degree of anger or had a few angry moments where we didn't think rationally about something. It really feels like I might actually be able to finish my second story here. Its also entered my mind to make a foal hood story for one of the characters since I feel like I gave up on the concept to early.