• Published 21st Jan 2012
  • 6,687 Views, 167 Comments

The Night Lasts Forever - MasterFrasca



Luna wanders around alone, and Celestia believes that it's time to intervene

  • ...
22
 167
 6,687

A Friend in Need

In seconds my mane was sopping wet, no longer flowing as if a breeze were catching it. I stood there in grief as the rain splattered around me, despite the protests from my body. I had no clue where to I wanted to go next. The meeting was supposed to be a time for me to redeem myself and make ease with Twilight, but instead, I stood out in the rain, my heart torn once again by a pony I thought at one time to love me. I didn’t think it would end this way when I had rushed out here to meet her, with me in the rain and her going out with my worst enemy.

Not so very long ago, the Doctor arrived in his funny little blue box, taking me away from that horrible prison I had been banished to. He lifted my spirits as we traveled across time and space, exploring the unknown and amazing. He had me overjoyed throughout our travels, and he had almost gotten me past my internal hate for stallions. I had fallen deeply in love with him, even more so than the stallion who broke my heart as a filly.

But as we went on and on, he eventually brought me back home again, and he dropped me off inside the Everfree Forest. I thought that he brought me back just to visit, but I had taken not two steps out before realizing that I was nowhere near home. When I turned around to tell him of his mistake, he had vanished along with his mysterious box. He abandoned me in the Everfree Forest, alone, with nothing to help me find home again. That night, I flew for hours and hours, my aggravation at him turning into anger, and that anger to hatred. No stallion was ever going to fool me again, and that day I vowed to show that to the world.

Nightmare moon returned on that day, and I couldn’t do anything to stop her.

Taking a deep breath in, I started forward very slowly, as I had no place to go to. I wasn’t ready to head back to the Castle and talk with my sister yet. I needed somepony else to share my grief with, because I didn’t want Celestia to worry any more than she already had to. She deserves her rest for the amount that she does every day, and I didn’t need to interrupt it with my petty stories of broken love.

“Hey!” A voice cried out from above me, stopping me in my tracks. I looked up into the clouds to see if anypony was there, and my imagination wasn’t getting the best of me. “Princess Luna, is that you?” The high pitched voice yelled out again.

Looking up, I could make out somepony looking through a gap in the clouds. I recognized the voice, but I couldn’t put a face on it. “Yes, faithful subject. I am Luna, but who am I speaking with?”

“You should really get out from the rain Princess. Fly up here and I’ll introduce myself. I don’t think I ever met you personally.”

The why did that voice remind me of somepony? I flew up and through the gap, landing softly next to the pony. “I believe I’ve seen you before,” I said looking at the familiar rainbow maned pony sitting next to me.

“You probably have, Princess. My name’s Rainbow Dash. I’m a good friend of Twilight’s.”

“You were the one I hit with a lightning bolt during last year’s Nightmare Night weren’t you?” I asked a small smile creeping up on my face.

Her face turned a deep shade of red as she darted her eyes from side to side, obviously remembering that night very well. “Yeah,” she said nervously scratching the back of her head with her hoof, “that would be me.”
While unsuccessfully trying to hold back my smile, I told her, “I really am sorry about that. Twilight had said that it was all in good fun.”

“Don’t worry about it,” she started. “I kinda had it coming to me. Anyway, what are you doing around Ponyville, and for that matter, why were you standing in the rain? Didn’t you know we had a heavy shower scheduled tonight?”

“No I wasn’t aware of the shower, and I was only here to give Twilight a visit.”

“In the rain?” she asked, raising an eyebrow at me. “That’s an odd place to meet.”

“No it’s not that,” I said, sitting down on the cloud. What was left of my smile from remembering my Nightmare Night hi-jinks disappeared as my mind came back to the present. “We met in Sugarcube Corner, but the place is closed for the night. I just didn’t want to go back to the palace yet…”

“Well, hey!” Rainbow enthusiastically started. “Since we have showers scheduled throughout the night do you want to come over and hang out at my place? I’m supposed to keep an eye on the clouds, so I was going to read the new Daring Doo book that Twilight lent me.”

“Well…” I pondered her suggestion a few seconds before finishing, “I suppose it’s better than returning home alone again.”

“Race ya to my house?” she asked with a little smirk spreading across her face.

“And where pray tell is that Miss Dash?” I asked as I hadn’t the slightest clue where her house was.

“It’s right on the edge of Ponyville,” she said pointing a hoof off to the west. “Right over in that direction. It’s a giant cloud house, and its kinda hard to miss.”

“Well if you really want to…” I trailed off, thinking about it. At least it’ll take my mind off Twilight for a little bit.
Before I could react, Dash shouted out, “threetwoone GO!” She was out of view within a millisecond. I was knocked back a little by the back draft she created upon her takeoff, and the cloud I was on was pushed a few feet back. Staring with my mouth agape, I thought about how Celestia had said she was the fastest flier in all of Equestria. She wasn’t kidding, because Rainbow had taken off like a bullet. Knowing I had already lost, I took off and made my way towards where she had pointed out seconds ago.

Flapping my wings, I thought about my current situation, and how I was going to convince Twilight that she couldn’t trust Dr. Whooves. He had let me down easily, and around here I was considered royalty. I could only imagine how easily he would let Twilight go. The more I thought about it, the more I wanted to have spoken with Twilight just a little longer at Sugarcube Corner.

I was snapped out of my trance when I heard Rainbow call out, “Down here, Luna!”

Looking down, I saw a typical cloud house with a rainbow arch extending out the top into the sky. There was a little rainbow pond next to the front archway that Dash was sitting next to, looking really winded. She must have been out of breath from her sprint to the house.

Landing on the cloud next to her, she said, still breathing heavily, “So…am I quick or what?”

“My sister told me you had won the Best Young Flyer competition, but I had no idea you were that quick!”

“Of course I am,” she said, standing up again. She had finally caught her breath. “Nopony can beat me! Anyway, come on in.”

We both hopped over to the main archway and stepped inside. The first thing I saw confused me. As soon as we entered all I could see was a wall filled with various Wonderbolts posters and a Wonderbolts calendar. There was a second landing that contained her unkempt bed, which was strewn with a few Daring Doo books.

“It isn’t much but it’s home,” Dash stated flying up to her bed to pick up the two books lying on top of it. “All I’ve got is one giant bedroom though. Pinkie lets me eat for free at Sugarcube corner, and I’m usually out of the house all day, so I don’t really need much else.”

Walking up the Wonderbolts poster, I replied to Dash, “It’s quite alright. I usually don’t venture farther than my bedroom in the castle if I can help it. I take it you’re a fan of the Wonderbolts?”

“Yeah!” she yelled in delight, flying down in front of the poster I was looking at. “They are only the best ponies in existence! Some day I’m going to join them and show off my acrobatic skills to the world!” She smiled and jumped up and down after her outburst. She was really confident in her dream. If only I could have that much drive in winning Twilight back.

“Is something up, Princess?” Rainbow asked, probably noticing my glum expression. “Are you not a fan of the Wonderbolts?”

“No Rainbow, it’s just that…I just lost a…good friend of mine. I loved her and I thought she loved me back…”

“Her?” Rainbow asked inquisitively. “Princess are you into…into mares?

I blushed as I realized my mistake. “Yes Rainbow, I’m into mares; Twilight to be exact. I’m sorry if that offends you and I hope that doesn’t make you think less of me.”

“Well Princess if you want to know the truth, I’m kinda…well…,” she trailed off avoiding eye contact with me.

“What is it Rainbow Dash?” I asked tilting my head slightly to the side as I was trying to decipher what she wanted to say.

Before I knew what was going on, she walked straight up to me and wrapped her hooves around my neck, planting a big kiss right on my lips.