• Published 21st Jan 2012
  • 6,687 Views, 167 Comments

The Night Lasts Forever - MasterFrasca



Luna wanders around alone, and Celestia believes that it's time to intervene

  • ...
22
 167
 6,687

The Talk

There was a knock on my door, but I didn’t respond, hoping that whoever it was would assume I wasn’t home. I wasn’t ready to talk to anyone just yet; I just needed some time to cool off after my silent fit in Twilight’s Library. My silence had no effect on whoever wanted in my room, as the knocking continued, gradually increasing until it sounded like whoever wanted in was trying to break down the door. Suddenly it stopped, and I heard a distinct voice call through the door.

“I know you’re in there sis,” said Celestia’s voice, a little louder than I was used to. “Can I please come in? I’m worried about you.” I didn’t respond, hoping that she would just leave and let me be alone, but no such luck as she called out again, “Luna, Twilight sent me a letter, and I know what happened. Will you please let me in?”

I pulled the pillow off my face and slid down off my bed as I tried to wipe away some tears still streaming down my face. If I was going to face my sister, I was going to at least try to be dignified about it. I walked over to the door with heavy footsteps, partially to let Celestia know I was up and doing something, but mostly because I was still heartbroken. I opened the door with my horn and stared at the ground refusing to make eye contact with her.

“How much do you know?” I said blandly, not wanting to talk any more than I had to.

“Enough,” Tia responded, evading the question. “Why did you just run out on her? She told me that she didn’t know why you just left all of a sudden.”

“She knows perfectly well why I ran off,” I replied bitterly, turning back towards my bed. Walking slowly over to my bedside nightstand, I picked up my abacus lying there. Idly, I flicked the beads back and forth pretending that I was doing something while trying to calm myself down. I didn’t need to explode on my own sister.

“She thought that it may have something to do with the ‘I’ve got my eyes on somepony else’ comment,” Tia told me walking slowly over next to me. I kept flicking the beads as she walked up right next to me, gradually putting more and more force behind each flick. “She didn’t mean to insult you when she said that. You know that.”

“She was my first and only friend that I’ve had since we were children, Tia,” I said, not looking away from my abacus. I was flicking the beads faster, trying to vent a bit of frustration. “I don’t want another relationship that’s going to end up like when I was a young foal…”

“You know that wasn’t your fault, Luna,” Celestia consoled as she laid a wing over me. “That colt had his mind set on the wrong thing. All he cared about was being the next Prince of Equestria. He hurt you, and I will never forgive him for that, but you need to let that go.”

I pulled away, clicking my abacus beads even faster. “That still doesn’t help me now. I still loved him, but he made sure I would never love a colt or stallion again. I don’t want Twilight to do the same thing for the mares. I don’t want my soul crushed again.” I dropped the abacus and fell to a sitting position, no longer able to contain myself. Tears came streaming from my eyes again as I relived the heartbreak from so many years ago, again and again.

Celestia came over and silently sat down next to me, once again laying a wing over my back. This time though, I didn’t try to pull away; I just buried my head into her side, letting the tears run their course. She sat in silence waiting until I could speak, all the while draping her wing around me. After a few minutes of quiet sobbing, I pulled my head out and looked Tia right in the eye. “I just don’t want to be hurt again big sis…”

“And you won’t be Luna,” she almost whispered into my ear. “You just need to give her a chance. You won’t know if she likes you until you open your heart to her.”

“She told me that she had somepony else in mind though,” I told her turning my head away from her looking blindly out the window. “She doesn’t even have an interest in me.”

“Then get her to be interested I you!” Celestia encouraged me, standing up and walking over to the window I was looking at. “Just because her mind is on somepony now, doesn’t mean that you can’t change her mind,” she said with a sincere smile.

I got up and walked over next to her, looking out the window as Celestia prepared to lower her sun, “I guess you’re right, sis…I just didn’t want another incident like Nightmare Moon…”

“You and I both know that she was bound to come out again,” she said, horn glowing as the sun started to lower behind the trees. “I’m just glad Twilight could remove her influence over you the last time she broke out from your mind. The first time nearly destroyed you when you came back.”

I closed my eyes, channeling my energy to my horn as I focused on my moon. I focused on the moon, lifting it up from the distance until the tip reached the tree line. I opened my eyes to see how close Tia’s sun was to being completely lowered so I could time my moon rise to be perfectly in synch with her sunset. I did this every night to challenge myself, like a little game. Her sun passed the trees as I perfect raised my moon above the horizon.

“Another successful moonrise, eh sis?” Celestia said, turning to me.

“Thanks, Tia,” I told her, “I needed that talk. You always know how to cheer me up when I’m down.”

“I knew you would come around. By the way, I think Twilight sent me a message about wanting to see you again. I remember it saying about meeting her at Sugarcube Corner tonight.”

“Really? I need to go make it up to her. Thanks again Tia!”