• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 1,977 Views, 53 Comments

DisQord - Midnight Sprint



Twilight Sparkle and the residents of Ponyville meet a strange new friend, and relive old threats.

  • ...
4
 53
 1,977

Part 14: I Choose Q

I Choose Q

Q walked over to Twilight Sparkle, and squatted down before her. “Listen, miss Sparkle. I’m going to need your help for this one. You and your other five friends.” Picard began to protest, but Q held a hand up, stopping the Captain. “Picard, not now. I know you have a friendship with these ponies, so as long as you let me take care of it, they will all be fine.” Jean-Luc of course knew there was always a risk with Q’s demands, but the few times he was genuine, it showed. He had a feeling that there was still a risk, but Q seemed to at least be somewhat genuine this time as well.

“Good. Now, you six, come here and listen up.” He called to Twilight and her friends. Twilight looked over to Picard. “Are you sure about this, Captain? I can trust him after everything you’ve told me about?” Jean-Luc sighed, and nodded reassuringly. “Yes, Twilight. You see, apart from him forcing his will upon those who try to refuse him, I’ve found that he’s actually learned quite a lot from humans in his time with my ship.” Picard assisted the explanation with a facial expression that was almost unreadable. “Even if it’s only altered the very smallest portion of his inexplicably complicated mind.”

“I don’t know if I should take that as a compliment or an insult, Picard.” Q answered willfully. Whether or not the comment was sarcasm or genuine, nobody could tell, but the almost untraceable crack at the corner of Q’s lips led Picard to believe that Q had grown a fondness for them that was more than anyone knew, or than Q himself would care to admit. Honestly, it probably bothered Q, but such was irrelevant. The powerful entity continued to explain what his plan was to the gathered ponies, which Discord sat hunched over the little device some ways away.

After some time awaiting both parties to be prepared, Q signaled for all who were gathered to follow him. “This way, and we will finally settle this whole thing in one last little test.” The ponies followed skeptically, eyeing the terrain around them, scouring for indications at what might lay ahead. Even Discord poked his head left and right, curious to see what Q had in store, despite knowing full well what the subsequent situation was going to be in regards to the competition.

The small group approached a gate as they crossed over a small hill, leading into a small, but not so humble stadium. Lights on large stands poured illumination across a field of compressed dirt, with white lines forming a circle in the center. Each end of the rectangular field possessed a small, white box outlined in the same white markings. Q directed Discord to one of the boxes, while the ponies, human, and dragon all followed the mysterious acquaintance of Jean-Luc.

“Is this some kind of sport?” Fluttershy inquired cautiously. “I don’t really like competition too much. I mean, I know I’ve already had to… but… you know…” Q eyed the sheepish and nervous Pegasus as she attempted to try and talk her way out of the situation. Glancing back to Twilight, whom he had appropriately come to regard as the leader of the group, Q added a detail. “I think I’ve had a change of plans. Perhaps I won’t need all five of your friends after all, Miss Sparkle.”

The voice of Discord called out from the center of the arena, despite standing on the opposing box. Of course, this was due to Discord’s distortion of reality, his body craning out to unnatural lengths in order to speak. “Are we going to wrap this up yet? I’m sure there’s much more fun to be had out there.” Q shot an abrupt and apparently genuine laugh of amusement.

“Very well, Discord. Let’s begin, then, shall we?” Q stated, snapping his fingers once more. This time, a brief popping sound was heard, and several ponies disappeared. Only Fluttershy and the Captain of the Enterprise remained. “Q, what in the name of-“ The Captain began, before being cut off by Q’s hand, raised to silence the Picard’s protest. “Jean-Luc, don’t you trust me?”

Without hesitation, Q caught himself and added, “Oh never mind. Don’t bother answering that.” As suddenly as the noise resounded, Q had six red and white balls resting along his waistline, while Discord has similarly hanging spheres around his chest on a sort of bandolier. “Really?” Discord stated plainly, pulling a ball out. “Oh, fine then. I suppose it won’t matter, since it’s all about unpredictability. Something not even you can match me in, Q.” The Draconequus added a short huff to accentuate his disdain for the entire situation.

Q ran his fingers over each ball, before pulling one from his waist. “Let’s see… I think, this should be fine.” Discord tossed his ball out onto the field, as Q followed suit. From the ball on Discord’s side of the field, a Diamond Dog appeared, offering a rather pathetic, though committed snarl. While on Q’s side, Rainbow Dash herself emerged in a ray of red light. “Excuse me? What IS this? I thought we were done fighting in that last clash of two worlds.” Q offered a highly amused laugh at something he caught that no one else understood. “Shush, Rainbow Dash. Sheesh, this one will be a breeze for you. Try to show a little appreciation!”

Rainbow Dash stared angrily at Q. “Alright, Rainbow! Shoot a bit of hail at Discord’s Diamond Dog!”

A moment passed, with Q standing in a yet composed position, pointing at the Diamond Dog, who simply watched the commotion with confused and almost uncaring eyes. “Good heavens, Rainbow Dash, this is not the time for your silly little ego!” But Rainbow Dash only crossed her front hooves and hovered there in the air above the stadium. “Oh, alright. Would you please hit that Dog with a blast of ice? Anything? It would really help us all out here!”

Dash shrugged, expressed her skepticism through her eyes as usual, and spun in the air, creating a small cold circulation of air that sent a blast of ice towards the dog. Upon striking, the Diamond Dog flew backward, and regained its footing, though visible weaker. “That was SO AWESOME!” Q watched Dash curiously. “I mean. No big deal.”

Discord commanded the dog back to the front line, where it stood angrily looking up at the opponent hanging far out of reach. “Alright then, it’s our turn to hit back! Diamond Dog, attack that Pegasus with a Drill Run!” Upon the command, the dog pawed at the ground, digging briefly before preparing its actual attack. The dog sailed with noble effort towards the rainbow pony, but fell dramatically short, unable to connect.

“Come now, Discord. Surely you know that a ground-based attack wouldn’t be able to harm something flying? How on Earth would it even reach Dashie in order to strike her?” Discord looked rather cross. “Let’s wrap up this first little fight, now.” Q finalized. He sent a request to Dash to finish the Diamond Dog with a blast of wind, which upon using sent the dirty creature flying towards the back of the arena, where it rested, worn out and unwilling to so much as look at the arena again.

“That makes Rainbow Dash and I the winner of this first face-off. Who’s your next pick, Discord?” Q spoke slyly. Discord rummaged around with the hanging belt of balls, tossing away the one that held the now defeated Diamond Dog. “Let’s try something a little different.” Discord answered.

Sending out the next ball, a cold wash of air encompassed the field, as an eerie blue and white equine appeared, floating in the air before Rainbow Dash. The Pegasus’ eyes widened a little, and she glanced down for direction from the stranger to Equestria. Picard and Fluttershy watched with great concern, the gentle yellow Pegasus watching from behind the Captain in the most modest of withdrawn caution. Q looked back. “Well now. That’s quite different, isn’t it?”