• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 1,977 Views, 53 Comments

DisQord - Midnight Sprint



Twilight Sparkle and the residents of Ponyville meet a strange new friend, and relive old threats.

  • ...
4
 53
 1,977

Part 5: In Q Fashion

Sighing with a thoroughly considered decision to make the most of the situation, Twilight, with Spike on shoulders, marched alongside Captain Picard through the streets of Ponyville. If the citizens were already wary of the stranger from the Federation, they were now doubly so, with the presence of yet another human. Very few eyes even made any manner of connection to Twilight Sparkle save for the cutie mark badge upon her chest. The only pony to express a demeanor of curiosity, rather than keeping a safe distance, was a strange green unicorn with a lyre image upon her flank. She followed the Captain and Twilight closely, but keeping her distance, as it was certainly evident that they were in the middle of something serious.

Together, the trio approached a clearing where a grandiose, circular building resided. Nearing the door, Twilight stood featuring a look of contemplation. Facing the Captain, she explained with a degree of amusement. “Um, Captain? I think I better go explain the situation to Rarity first. We wouldn’t want to alarm her.” Noting the still evident distance that most ponies kept, Picard nodded in agreement. “No, I understand, Miss Twilight. It’s probably for the best.”

Behind Twilight, however, a youthful voice cleared its throat, garnering their attentions. Twilight tilted her head backwards, experiencing the humanoid structure and actually starting to enjoy experiencing her world through a different means of being. The voice came from Spike. “Um, Twilight? Don’t you think that maybe I should go in and explain?” Twilight rolled her eyes, and look to Picard. “I shouldn’t be surprised, Spike’s always had –“ Before Twilight could finish, Spike quickly spoke over her in a much louder tone. “Twilight! That’s not it.” Twilight raised an eyebrow and mused, “Then what is it, Spike? Why would it be so much better for you to go in first?”

“Well,” Spike began. “It might have something to do with the fact that you look just like he does.” Twilight patted her body down briefly; having forgotten for a moment that she was, in fact, no longer technically a pony. Laughing, pseudo-embarrassed at the minor lack of recollection of her situation, she surrendered to the suggestion as he hopped to the ground. Picard smiled his typical expression of appreciation. “Thank you, Spike. I believe you’re probably right. Twilight and I will wait here until Miss Rarity has been informed.” With little else to be said, Spike opened the door to Carousel Boutique and strolled inside, calling for Rarity.

While Twilight looked around the streets of Ponyville, she noted that the pony known as Lyra was still hanging about. Twilight rolled her eyes to the sky, and hung her head briefly. The pony Lyra was a good pony, but even amidst the strange events that seemed to strike Equestria, she was considered a bit of an odd bird. “Oh, just come over here, already!” Twilight bleated out. The vibrant pony trotted up happily. “What are you two?” Lyra asked the now human Twilight, looking over their persons very thoroughly. Twilight shook her head, and answered. “I’m Twilight! Twilight Sparkle!’ She explained, a little annoyed at the lack of observation of her uniform’s adherence to her former appearance.

“Wait.” Lyra responded. “The Unicorn?” Twilight instinctively ran a hand across her face. “Yes.” She said bluntly. “The unicorn. This is Captain Picard. He’s from very, very far away, and he is what is called, a human, right Captain?” Picard nodded, and gave a brief explanation as to his origins on the Enterprise, and the arrival in Equestria. “Alright, I get him being ‘human’.” Lyra started, “But if you’re Twilight Sparkle, then how are you-“ Yet before she was able to finish her question, the door opened halfway, with Spike sticking his head out of the gap. “Rarity’s ready!” He called. “I think.” He added lowly.

“Oh, gee!” Twilight exclaimed, “We have to go now! Maybe you can talk to the Captain before he goes back home!” Lyra looked at the trio with a bit of doubt. It was clear that they had business, however, and Lyra was a little odd, not rude. She trotted off after saying a brief goodbye. Picard stepped through the doors of the elegantly decorated shop, somehow not as surprised or taken aback by Lyra’s behavior as one would have expected. “That was certainly enlightening.” Picard stated comically.

The interior was beautiful, and wrought with all manner of equine mannequins and holders for fabric and designs. Even having come from a life filled with space travel and starships for a great many years, it was beyond evident what sort of pony this Rarity was. Clearly, she was some sort of designer tailor for the ponies of this village. Spike called up to Rarity, who was still finishing some work in one of her upstairs rooms, and let her know that Twilight and Picard had come in.

After a brief wait of no more than three minutes, the fabulous white unicorn gracefully gaited down the stairwell. Her eyes widened at the sight of Picard and human Twilight, as she stood frozen for a handful of seconds that in the awkward silence, felt like a veritable century. “Err.” Twilight mouthed quietly. “You did tell her we were humans, right Spike?” Spike looked up to Twilight and shrugged. “I told her!” He said in a half whisper. There was no need to speak quietly, however, as Rarity’s opinion soon became evident.

Charging up towards Twilight and Picard, she darted around their persons, examining their proportions and clothing. “Oohh!” Rarity squealed in genuine appreciation. “Look at you! For an… ape?” She said, trying to sound as respectful as possible. “You look absolutely dashingly distinguished!” From behind the Captain, she wound her way to the front, looking at his Federation communication badge. “AND THIS UNIFORM.” She continued, “It is MAGNIFICENT. The location of the color, balanced across in this subtle, simple, and yet perfectly balanced angle… it’s marvelous!”

She wandered around to Twilight’s face, looking her over very close, almost touching noses. “Twilight~,” The excited unicorn began, “I simply LOVE your uniform. It’s very you!” Twilight threw her hands up into the air and squinted her eyes out of half frustration, while still partially flattered by the compliments. “Rarity! We need to talk to you!” Rarity paused, grinning with unequalled joy at the prospect of fashion, literally, from another world. “Of course, darling! What is it?”

“Yes,” Picard assisted. “Miss Rarity, I appreciate your admiration of my people’s military fashion, but I’m afraid Twilight is right. We have some urgent business to attend to, and we need you.” Rarity’s eyes changed from unabashed jollity to a thoughtful observance. “What is it, Twilight?” She asked properly and calmly. Twilight simply spoke the one name that could possibly sum up the situation, and instantly Rarity’s face winced, remembering the utter chaos and lunacy that Discord had sewn.

“I understand, Twilight. Have you talked to the girls about this yet?” Rarity questioned, moving about the immediate area to prepare to lock up and leave. Twilight walked towards the door again, waiting for the fashionista to finish her preparations. “Not yet, you’re the first. I was thinking we could get Pinkie Pie next, and then find the others.” Rarity marched towards the doors after arranging the last of her things, allowing Spike, Picard, and Twilight to leave before her. “Mm.” She agreed with naught but a sound. “She would be closer than Sweet Apple Acres and Fluttershy’s cottage.”

“Oohhhh giiiirrrls!” Discord’s voice cooed from nowhere once again. A gasp escaped Rarity’s mouth, and she stood in a well-grounded stance. “Ah, Rarity! The resident fashionista!” He proclaimed, with an over exaggerated accent placed upon the word. “Tell me, Rarity. Are you still carrying around… what was it?” Rarity and Twilight both narrowed their eyes and scanned the area, as did Picard, who now held his phaser in his hand. “Ah yes, Tom, I believe?”

Rarity spotted the silhouette of Discord amongst the wall of a nearby building. “Your tricks are not going to work on us again, you… you… ill mannered ruffian!” Discord slinked onto the ground like a snake, and his body straightened up before the four. “Ah, they certainly will not, it seems!” Discord looked over to Picard with a knowing smirk. “Oh, Picard. Mon Capitan! You look lonely without your crew.” Picard tilted his head with a sudden frown of suspicion. “Q?” He asked out of instinct. Discord laughed and pointed at Picard. “Oh, you’re all just TOO much fun!”

Discord stood back up straight and his demeanor suddenly changed. “If you’re feeling a little lost without a crew behind you, Captain, perhaps we can arrange you some new recruits!” Discord cocked his body and arms back, arching his fingers into a clawed position. As he thrust his hands forward, the green unicorn Lyra jumped forward to push the group out of the way, but only ended up being a part of the target. When the smoke cleared, Discord was once again gone, and two new humans stood with Picard. A short girl with long teal hair in a ponytail stood up out of the dust, her uniform color a very turquoise green. Twilight had a blank expression on her face and asked, “Lyra.” Lyra looked side to side before realizing what had happened. “You had an idea of what he was going to do, didn’t you?”

Lyra smiled sheepishly, and began twiddling her thumbs, with fingers interlaced. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.” She said before starting to walk off. Twilight shouted to her before she had moved even a few feet, “You know that you have to come with us now, right?” To which Lyra sighed, and grinned again. “Ah well. So then, the Captain can tell me more, right?” Twilight once again found only exasperation to convey. Suddenly, from behind Twilight and Lyra, a tall, thin, and stunningly beautiful girl appeared. Her uniform top beheld an ivory white contrasting against the standard issue black, with diamond marks upon the breast. Long, luxurious purple hair in a striking curl rested upon her back. “Rarity?” Twilight and Spike both spoke in awe, Spike’s mouth sitting agape. Rarity pulled her now human hands to her mouth, curled into almost fists. “Aren’t I simply MARVELOUS?!” She proclaimed with utter joy.