• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 1,977 Views, 53 Comments

DisQord - Midnight Sprint



Twilight Sparkle and the residents of Ponyville meet a strange new friend, and relive old threats.

  • ...
4
 53
 1,977

Part 3: Just Like Q

The Captain accompanied the young pony as they passed through the main gateway of Canterlot’s royal city. Everywhere, ponies stopped and stared, speaking in hushed voices amongst one another. Picard found it strange, yet had been accustomed to this manner of reaction in more civilizations and races than he could remember. After many years of galactic travel, he knew that being the visitor, meant he was an alien being to whichever society he happened to be stopping in.

Most of the expressions were those of curiosity, while other reflected a look of concern. Being a Canterlot pony, born and raised, many of the citizens recognized Twilight. Those who knew her, also knew that she was quite obsessed with her studies, even to some degree now, and that strange things may follow her from time to time. Not surprisingly, the guards seemed to watch Picard with more vigilance than the citizen ponies had been.

Twilight wasn’t oblivious to Picard’s demeanor. She could tell that he had noted their reaction, and she couldn’t tell whether or not it was getting to him. “Don’t mind them.” She said assuring the Federation Captain. “They just haven’t seen anypony like you before. I think the closest thing we have that looks like you is, no offense, the spider monkeys that live in the Canterlot Gardens.” Her eyebrows shifted in such a way as to denote concern over her words.

“Oh no, Twilight.” Picard replied. “No offense taken. Strictly speaking, my kind is related to monkeys. Similar anatomical structure, biological genetics… it’s all very close.” The unicorn nodded, understanding. “So, you’re talking about a common ancestor in prehistory?” Picard chuckled, finding the situation rather entertaining, as well as enlightening. “You’re astonishingly well learned for such a young pony.” The captain spoke with genuine praise. He had grown used to speaking of these equine beings as ponies, as their society has chosen the name for their kind, but it was all very bizarre to hear it used in such a similar way as “person” or “body” is used in the human language of English.

As the two approached Canterlot Castle proper, Twilight stepped ahead. “Stay behind me, and I’ll get us to the Princess. Normally, you would have to wait. Considering the circumstances, however, I think it’s fair to push the matter.” Picard allowed Twilight to move ahead. “By all means.” He replied. Twilight nodded to the entryway guards, and had light banter with one of the castle guards whom had recognized her. She explained the situation to him, which he admitted wasn’t fully understood. Like most of the guard, he trusted Twilight, and having a brother as Captain of the guard didn’t hurt either.

When they finally passed the last threshold, the two stood in the gateway of the main hall; walls lined with amazing stained glass beholding depictions of various mythical conflicts and heroes. Picard noted that at least one of the panes hosted a pony strikingly similar in appearance to Twilight Sparkle. Perhaps the young pony had more than meets the eye.

Looking down the long, colorful hall, a beautiful throne area was flanked by the highest ranking of Canterlot’s guards. Atop the stairs, sitting on the throne, a grand white equine sat regally. Her horn was glowing with energy, and a long scroll hung in midair before her eyes. A quill, also animated by this same energy, was jotting down something on the paper. Unlike Twilight Sparkle, and some of the other unicorns the Captain had seen on his way into the castle, the Princess had magnificent ivory wings upon her back.

Stopping at the base of the royal stairs, Twilight softly cleared her throat, and spoke gracefully. “Princess Celestia?” The call seemed unheard, until half a minute later, the princess finally replied, looking away from her duties. “Oh! Twilight Sparkle! It is always a pleasure to see you. How are your studies?” Twilight smiled, and politely answered the inquiry. “Going very well, Princess. Ponyville has been quiet and happy, and I’ve had some quality time to review my recent papers.”

Lowering the scroll with her magic, Picard came into view behind the sinking paper. Princess Celestia raised an eyebrow curiously. “Who is this?” She inquired to her pupil. “A new friend of yours?” The tone was that of genuine curiosity. Unlike other ponies, Celestia did not seem to be taken aback by the radically different looking being before her; but being that she was a intensely powerful, ancient, and superiorly intelligent Alicorn, it wasn’t terribly surprising that she did not flinch at the sight of a human.

“Yes,” Twilight answered abruptly. “Well, I suppose so, anyway. I found him at the edge of Ponyville. He comes from very far away, on a ship that travels through the stars. Someone or something took him away from his ship, and he doesn’t know how to return. I thought you might have some insight, Princess.” Twilight ended the sentence with a little trepidation in her voice. She didn’t wish to pester the always busy princess, but considering the circumstance, nopony else seemed to be appropriate to visit about the situation.

“You did well to come here, Twilight Sparkle.” Celestia spoke confidently. Twilight smiled, pleased that she hadn’t been a burden. “May I ask…” She trailed off, awaiting an introduction.

“Apologies, your highness. I am Captain Jean-Luc Picard, of the Federation Starship Enterprise.” The Captain considering offering a hand to shake, but confused on whether the gesture would be understood, he chose to offer a bow instead. “Captain Picard.” The Princess began again. “You say you were taken from your ‘starship’? What is your ‘Enterprise’. If I may ask?”

Picard understood that these ponies were quite knowledgable. “It is a grand vehicle. Very much like a boat one would use on the sea, or a river. However, it is fully enclosed, and capable of traveling through the space where the stars rest. My role, and the purpose of my crew, is to travel through space, and explore. We are to find other civilizations and it’s peoples to establish a peaceful galactic community.” There was no way he could know if either Twilight or the Princess would have any idea what he was talking about, but he hoped that considering their knowledge already, that the Princess would know something about his situation.

“Most impressive, Captain.” Celestia spoke intruiged. “You’ll find that our land of Equestria has many ponies who have a similar love of exploration and adventure as you do, even if we prefer a simpler life on average.” She added a sort of knowing grin. Picard understood. Even expecting a wise being, Celestia was more adept than he had considered.

“Now, Captain Picard.” Celestia spoke. “You mentioned that you had been taken from your ship?” The Captain nodded, as Celestia continued. “And this was some being, or some form of transportation?” Picard sighed, and with an expression most unamused, he looked up to the Princess. “It was a being. We know him by the name of ‘Q’. His power is unimaginable, and utterly chaotic. It seems as though his only purpose is to sew chaos and discord wherever he goes.”

Twilight glanced up towards the Princess nervously, while Celestia looked away from Picard to meet Twilight’s gaze. Her neck craned around, looking upon the glass depicting planets on her left, then trailing slowly across the glass down the corridor leading to the throne room. “Captain Picard.” She said cautiously, taking the Captain aback. “When did this happen to you?” Picard narrowed his brow, expressing confusion.

“Only this morning.” He answered plainly. “When I arrived on the edge of your Ponyville, it was sometime in the late morning, earlier today.” Celestia rose from her throne, and marched down the steps with purpose. As she reached the throne hall’s floor, the Captain and Twilight Sparkle stepped aside. Celestia turned her head to the two with an expression of stern contemplation. “Twilight. Stay with the Captain, and meet me in Canterlot Gardens. I have a very bad feeling about this day.”

Before either Twilight or Picard could so much as begin to give the Princess a response, she had already galloped off through the entryway.

Author's Note:

I started this fanfiction a while back, and importantly before "Keep Calm and Flutter On" was ever announced. This fanfiction is set before the events of Keep Calm and Flutter On.