• Published 30th Dec 2012
  • 6,987 Views, 202 Comments

Against the Wind - Shakespearicles



After the events of 'Magic Duel', Trixie reconsiders life on the road when she realizes her real reason for returning to Ponyville.

  • ...
45
 202
 6,987

Secrets That We Shared

- Four weeks later -

BLAAAAAAARG!

"Trixie!" Twilight called from the bedroom.

BLAAAAAAARG!

"Trixie are you okay! This is the fourth morning in a row you've been sick!"

"I'm alright Twilight," Trixie called out from the bathroom, "I'm just giving my morning prayers to the porcelain god." HURERP!

"Trixie, I'm really worried about you." Twilight said from outside the door. "I'm going to make an appointment with Dr. Horse for you!"

-FLUSH-

Trixie exited the bathroom. Her eyes a little puffy from puking.
"There you see?" Trixie started, trying to look as composed as she could.
"I just needed to get all the sick out. Now I'm perfectly-" BLAAAAAAAAAAARG!!!
________________________________________________________________

In the waiting room Trixie fumed a little. "You really didn't need to bring me here. I feel fine now. Really!"

Twilight was prepared for this waiting room. She brought a couple books in her saddlebag. She was currently flipping though her new cookbook, 'Fifty Shades of Grain'. "I'm sure you feel fine now. But then that's exactly what you said earlier before you repainted our hallway with your technicolor yawn."

"But the doctor said I looked fine." Trixie insisted, "I'm not running a temperature. All my vitals are normal. It was probably just a case of baked bads."

Twilight took off her reading glasses and marked her page, putting her book away. She took Trixie's hoof in hers and looked her right in the eyes to convey her seriousness. "Trixie, it's not that I don't believe you, I DO. I'm sure you are one hundred percent right about being fine. Just as I'm sure that you're right about it just being something you ate. And I promise that just as soon as the doctor comes back with those lab results, I'll not bother you about it anymore. I just want to hear the doctor say that you're okay. Just give me that?" Twilight gave Trixie her best doe eyes.

"Oh, all right. Come here." Trixie said as she leaned in for a kiss.

Twilight backed away, covering her mouth, "Oh, I don't want to catch whatever you've got."

"But you just said you didn't think I had-"

"Lulamoon, Trixie!" A nurse called out.

Trixie got up from her seat, followed closely by Twilight. "I'm Trixie."

"The doctor has you lab results. This way."

Twilight whispered as they followed the nurse, "I promise I'll give you an extra big kiss to your good health once the doctor gives us the good news." as she winked.

The nurse took them from the large, cold waiting room, to the uncomfortably small, much colder examination room. Where they continued to wait. Trixie played with the model cross-section of an ear, talking into it, "Hey Twilight, check it out, 'can you hear me now?'" Twilight couldn't help but giggle. Trixie always knew how to lighten the mood. It was the reason she loved her. One of the reasons anyway.

"Come on, put that down and behave." Twilight said. Sometime she felt like a single mom with Trixie.

Trixie changed tones, playing with her patient gown. "You know Twilight, it seems like an aaaawful waste of this semi-private room..." She said in her most seductive possible voice as she began to hike her gown up.

Twilight was agast, "TRIXIE! I just- NO, not here, just- please behave alright? We'll be out of here very soon and then we can go home and do whatever you want, okay? Just try to keep it together for ten minutes would you please please please?!"

Trixie humfed and crossed her hooves, releasing her gown, and poking out her tongue. "Party pooper."

A few moments later Dr. Horse knocked on the door, letting himself in with a slight limp. He was not a very sociable pony, nor looked as such either, with his constant five o'clock shadow, but he was the best at what he did, and that was diagnostic medicine. But this was a much less serious encounter. Patient: Ms. Lulamoon, was just the latest in a string of clinic patients he was required to see to fill his clinic hours that week. He, like the two other mares in the exam room, just wanted this encounter to be mercifully brief.

"Ms. Lulamoon, everything on your lab work looks good. All your levels are normal. Everything checks out and you are right on track of where you should be. Good heartbeats. You're both very healthy."

Trixie sighed a relief. Twilight looked confused. Dr. Horse was about to turn to leave when she asked him, "Wait, we're both healthy? I know I'm healthy but what does that have to do with her throwing up every morning?"

Dr. Horse just looked at her like she had ten heads. He could feel his individual brain cells committing suicide at the stupidity of the question. "I didn't mean you Miss..."

"Sparkle."

"I meant her foal."

Trixie snapped to attention. "My WHAT?"

Dr. Horse regarded both of them with rare awe. "Ms. Lulamoon. You're pregnant."

*THUD*

Trixie and Twilight performed synchronized fainting.

Dr. Horse rubbed the bridge of his nose, feeling a migraine coming on.. "I'll schedule the ultrasound."
_________________________________________________________________

Nurse Redheart rubbed the conductive jelly onto Trixie's belly. "Ooh it's cold." Trixie whimpered. The nurse placed the ultrasound probe against her belly as Twilight looked on with both of them at the screen. Both she and Trixie were scared and visibly sweating. Neither of them had ever anticipated this.

"Aaand... lets see what we've got. Ah yes, there's the yoke sac, and you can barely see the heartbeat there if you look. So it's six or seven weeks old. Everything looks good." THAT got Twilight's attention.

"Wait- what did you say? How old is it?" she asked, her heart racing.

Nurse Redheart squinted at the screen, guessing as precisely as she could, "About six weeks."

"Are you sure?!"

"Of course."

"Is there ANY chance at all it can be" Twilight paused to do the math in her head counting back the days from that one night they did that gender spell, "31 days old?"

"No. None at all. At four weeks the foal looks very different. And this foal has a discernible heartbeat, which can happen after six weeks but not before. It's definitely not younger than six weeks. It might be seven weeks. Give me a minute, I can do some measurements and tell you the exact number of days if you want."

Twilight looked at Trixie and saw the pure panic in her eyes. Instantaneously everything became crystal clear. "Trixie?!"

"Twilight please, I can explain!" Trixie cried, tears rolling down her cheeks. "Please just-" Trixie choked up, her hooves outstretched. Twilight leaned in and hugged her tightly. What else could she do?
________________________________________________________________

Twilight sat on her couch at home with a bowl of strawberry ice cream . Trixie sat across from her, shoveling the rest of the bucket. An empty tissue box lay between them. Trixie had quite a tale to tell.
~~~~

"... so after I left Ponyville the first time, I traveled everywhere trying to pick up my old act." Trixie said between bouts of sobs, "But the old act never took off again and I never made enough to get by. The second-hoof caravan I had bought was nothing like the original one that the Ursa Minor smashed. And eventually I had to sell even that just to eat!"

Trixie paused, taking another scoop of ice cream and wiping her eyes, "I wasn't lying when I said I had to work on a rock farm just to get by, but I was only making enough to get from week to week. I wanted to get back on my hooves properly." She looked at Twilight, listening intently, her eyes full of sympathy and understanding. It was so strange to think, only a couple of months ago she had considered the purple mare her sworn enemy.

Trixie continued, "It's funny now, but for a while the only thing that kept me going was the idea of getting revenge on you." Trixie looked down in her lap in shame, "I was such a fool."

Twilight put her hoof on her shoulder, "You're not a fool Trixie. I love you. You were just misguided and desperate."

Trixie looked up, "That's kind of you to say." she said, kissing Twilight. "Anyway, I was trying to track down artifacts that could help me get back into the magic arts again. That was when I found out about the Alicorn Amulet. I found out who had it through some old contacts of mine that I still trusted. I found out that it could be obtained... for a price."

Trixie took a breath, not looking forward to the next part, "And that was when I went to Canterlot to become a... dancer."

Twilight did not understand the dread in the statement, "A dancer? Whats so bad about that? Do you not like ballet?"

Trixie wished she could have laughed at that, "No. Not ballet... Exotic."

Twilight felt a wave of realization wash over her, "Oh, OH, so you, were... a..."

"Yes. The Great and Powerful Trixie was reduced to a common stripper." she cried, taking another tissue.

"Oh Trixie, it's... not that bad." Twilight tried to console her marefriend, "Lots of mares do that. It doesn't make them bad ponies. Most of them are just like how you were, and maybe just fell on some hard times."

"No but it's worse." Trixie started again, "My last night there, I was working a bachelor party, and the groom-to-be's friends had paid me a lot of bits to- to take him to the cider room. He'd had a lot to drink and I wasn't really paying enough attention while I was..." Trixie trailed off, as she rubbed her belly, "And... well I guess I let things get a little out of hoof."

Twilight moved closer, holding Trixie's head against her chest as she wept.

"I'm so sorry Twilight. I should have told you sooner." Trixie cried.

"Shh, shh, no more of that." Twilight tried to calm her, "Trixie we need to look at this as a blessing." Trixie looked up at Twilight, like she was crazy. "Trixie, I wrote to the Princess about the gender spell and she told me that ponies are sterile while under its effects. So we could never have had a foal together unless we adopted." Twilight smiled, "But don't you see? Now we can! We can raise this foal together!"

Trixie smiled faintly and hugged Twilight back. "Always a silver lining with you Twilight."

"Always."