• Published 26th Dec 2012
  • 3,997 Views, 108 Comments

The Beat of Their Hearts - Silentpegasus



A lonely DJ and a depressed musician meet in an unfortunte way. Can Vinyl help this poor soul or will his life forever be singing the blues.

  • ...
8
 108
 3,997

Chapter 7: Family Visit

Chapter 7

Family Visit

Beat, Vinyl and Octavia were waiting at the train station for Velvet’s train to pull in. Vinyl had her headphones over her ears and was blasting her P-Pod. Beat looked over towards Octavia who was shifting in her seat uneasily. Beat leaned over and tapped her on the shoulder, causing the charcoal mare almost jumped out of her seat.

“Jeez Octavia you’re jumpy....like.....fresh prison meat jumpy. You need to relax.”

“You need to shut up.” She spat at him. “Sorry Beat, I’m just really nervous.”

“It’s fine, I know that you have a thing for my sister and you’re just......anxious.”

“Do you know if she’s seeing any-pony?”

“I think she’s single but no promises.” Octavia let out a sigh of relief and possible disappointment. “Ah, heres her train now.” He tapped Vinyl on the shoulder and got to his hooves. Vinyl put her P-Pod away and slung her head phones around her neck. The massive train pulled into the station and let out a massive hiss as steam escaped from the engine, ponies started to exit the cars. Soon a a light orange unicorn mare with a brown mane and tail, she was sporting a fedora and her usual black rimmed glasses that accented her deep blue eyes. Beat waved her over and the mare galloped towards them.

“Beat! Hey how are you?” She said as she wrapped him in a hug.

“I’m good. You?” She took a step back and readjusted her glasses.

“You are now addressing the President of Sour Note Electronics.” She said with a smile. Beat’s jaw dropped.

“You got the job! That’s great!” Vinyl was dumbfounded.

“Y-you’re sister in charge of THE Sour Note Electronics! I use all of their tech for my DJ’ing.” She yelled. Velvet looked over at the white mare and wrapped her in a tight hug.

“Vinyl right?”

“Yes,...and I still have bruises from the last time you hugged me.” She breathed out.

“Sorry I tend to-.....Octavia is that you?” She said as her eyes fell upon the charcoal mare who had a bright blush on her face.

“H-Hello Velvet I-it’s been, ah!” Octavia could feel her spine being pulverized as the orange mare hugged her.

“It’s been ages! How are you?” She said as she broke the hug. Octavia was speechless.

“I think you squeezed all the air out of her sis.” Beat said with a laugh.

“Sorry, like I was saying I have a tendency to hug.” She said as she blushed. “So what should we do?”

“Let’s show you around town.” Vinyl suggested.

“Alright! Let’s go.” She said as she trotted ahead. Vinyl waved a hoof in front of Octavia who remained unresponsive.

“I think your sister just broke our roommate.” She said with a grin.

“Hang on, I know how to wake her up.” Beat spat on the tip of his hoof and stuck it in the mare’s ear.

“Ah! Beat you know I hate that!” she said with an angry face.

“Works every time.” He said with a smug grin. “C’mon, let’s go find my sister before....Too late.” He said as he saw the orange mare talking to Pinkie. The three ponies then trotted up to them with a smile. “Hey Pinkie I see you’ve met my sister Velvet.”

“SHE’S YOUR SISTER?” The pink mare said in surprise.

“Yes.”

“Why didn’t you tell me sooner!” She said as she shook the blue stallion.

“Easy there Pinkie, I just got here and the visit was kinda lat minute.” the orange mare said with a smile. Pinkie stopped shaking the stallion who’s eyes were spinning in his head. As she let go he stumbled back onto Vinyl.

“Oh! Sorry Beat.” she said with a weak smile. Beat regained his balance and looked bak at the mare with a smile.

“It’s cool.” he said as he collected himself.

“We were just about to give her a tour of the town.” Vinyl added.

“Cool that’ll give me time to make a game plan. See you later!” she said as she sped off towards the town.

“Well ,that was interesting.” Velvet commented.

“Yup that’s Pinkie for you. C’mon let’s get going.” Beat said as he and the mares made their way though town. Beat and Vinyl were up in front, while Velvet and Octavia were following them. Velvet motioned for Octavia to come closer.

“Hey Octy, hows my brother holding up?”

“He seems to be fine, but I think that he’s still adjusting.” she said in a nervous tone.

“Keep an eye on him for me will you?”

“Of course. Beat is like a brother to me.” she said with a smile.

“Thanks. So what’s new with you?”

“Nothing much, still playing the cello for the band.”

“Oh yeah! I saw you when you guys played in Detrot. Simply amazing.” Octavia felt her cheeks flare up.

“R-really? I didn’t see you there.”

“Yeah I wanted to talk but I had to catch a meeting.” she said with a smile.

“Y-you wanted to talk to me?”

“Yeah...I do.” She said as she put a hoof around the mares neck, causing her to blush brightly.

“We’re here.” Beat said as they stopped in front of their house. The ponies made their way inside the apartment.

“Wow, cool place. I hope you’re not mooching off of these two Beat.” Velvet teased.

“No. I have a job.”

“What do you do?”

“I entertain down at the local bar some nights.” He said proudly.

“Your brother always draws in a crowd.” Octavia said with a smile.

“In fact, I have to play there again tonight, you should totally come along!”

“Awesome!” Velvet exclaimed. The ponies sat around and shot the breeze for the next few hours. Beat and Velvet reminisced about their foalhood and talked about recent events. Things started to wind down as it got closer to dusk. The ponies decided to make their way to the bar.

“Okay here we are.” Beat said as they trotted inside. The light’s flicked on to reveal at least twenty ponies grinning at them.

“SURPRISE!” they cheered. Velvet felt her heart skip a beat.

“What in the name of Luna?”

“It’s Pinkie’s way of welcoming you to the town.” Beat said with a smile.

“Awesome welcoming committee.” She said with a smile. The party was in full swing as the ponies socialized and drank. Beat stuck by Vinyl and Velvet for most of the night. Velvet trotted up to her brother with a smile on her face. “Hey Beat can we have some entertainment?”

“Sure.” He said as he got to the stage. The ponies quieted down and waited for Beat to start playing. “Hey everypony, lets give a warm welcome for my sister over there!” He said as he pointed to her table. His horn flared and his piano appeared before him. “Let’s start out with a nice song about my families opinion of me.” He cracked his neck and began to play.

By the end the ponies were laughing and clapping to his makeshift song. The stallion went back to his table where Vinyl and the others were sitting. “Dude! Awesome!” The white mare said with a kiss. “Can you do another?” She asked as she made a pouting face.

“Sure but I think I need somepony to help me sing.” He said as he gave Velvet a nudge.

“Oh please it’s been years.” Velvet said with a smile.

“You can sing?”

“Oh yes. Velvet is amazing.” Octavia said with a smile.

“Oh please Octy. You’re making me blush.” She said as her cheeks turned bright red.

“Come on Velvet. It’ll be just like old times. Please?” He said in a pleading voice.

“Fine, what song though?”

“The one we ALWAYS did.” He said with a smile.

“Then I am in!” She said as the two got to their hooves and made their way to the stage. Ink made the piano vanish and replaced it with a guitar. The orange mare made a duplicate of herself holding a trumpet while the original picked up a microphone and began to sing. By the end everypony in the bar was on it’s hooves clapping for the duo. The two unicorns took a bow and hopped off the stage. “I forgot how much fun that was.”

“Now you see why I do this for a living.” He said with a laugh.

“That was awesome!” Vinyl said as she got to her hooves. “You could get a record album if you wanted to!”

“Nah. I prefer to work small jobs like this. I hate record companies.” He said as he took a drink. A bright green Unicorn stallion slowly made his way over to their table with a drunken grin on his face. He looked over at Velvet who was chatting with Octavia.

“Hey, there sexy how’s about you and I go for a walk?” He said as Velvet looked at him with a blank expression.

“No thanks.” She said without making eye contact with the stallion.

“Oh come on. You look like you need a stallions touch.” He said as he staggered to the right. Velvet finished her shot and a smile spread across her face.

“I don’t think my mare friend here would appreciate it.” She said as she pointed to the charcoal mare who spat her drink out in surprise.

“She’s you’re mare friend?’ The stallion said with a confused look on her face.

“Duh, can’t you see that she’s all over me?” Velvet said as she grabbed the grey earth pony and pressed her lips against hers. Octavia was frozen in surprise as she felt her crush’s lips coming into contact with her own. As they broke apart Velvet saw the stallion leave their sight. The unicorn looked back at the musician with a blushing grin. “Sorry about that Tavi.”

“Why did you just do that?”

“Well, to be honest I’ve wanted to do that for a while.” She said as she looked at the stunned mare. The unicorn lowered her head and let out a sigh. “Sorry, I should’ve known you wouldn’t feel the same way and-”

“NO! I mean I do like you like that. I just thought it would be weird since you’re Beat’s sister and you’re the President of a company. I thought you wouldn’t like to have me a s a mare friend or-” She was cut off as the mare pressed her lips against hers for a second time. Tis time Octavia returned the gesture and felt the mares tongue inside her mouth.

Beat and Vinyl looked with their jaws hitting the floor across the table. “Well, that escalated quickly.” Vinyl said as she slammed down another shot.

“I’m not sure whether to be happy for my sister or creeped out.”

“An even mix of both I’d say.” Vinyl said with a shrug.

“Maybe we should give these two some privacy.” He said as he got to his hooves and left the bar with Vinyl following close behind. “What should we do now?” He asked as he looked at the mare.

“I’ve got an idea.” She said with a devilish grin. She leaned in and whispered something to the blue stallion who’s face turned bright red.

“Are you sure? I don’t want to rush you or-” He was cut off by Vinyl who pressed her lips against his and prodded her tongue inside his mouth.

“That answer your question?” She said as she broke the kiss. Vinyl took the stallions hoof and raced back to their home. As Vinyl stepped through the doorway the brushed her tail under the blue stallions chin and started to take long strides making her flank sway. Steady retrieved a pair on sunglasses and bit his lip.

Dat plot. He thought as he followed her upstairs and threw the glasses away. As he entered the mares room he saw the white mare laying o her bed with a seductive look in her eye.

Like what you see?” She asked as she flicked her tail her against her thigh. As Beat stepped in the room he heard the door lock behind him.

Author's Note:

I'm so sorry for the late update. I got started on other fics and I totally forgot about this one!. :(