• Published 26th Dec 2012
  • 3,996 Views, 108 Comments

The Beat of Their Hearts - Silentpegasus



A lonely DJ and a depressed musician meet in an unfortunte way. Can Vinyl help this poor soul or will his life forever be singing the blues.

  • ...
8
 108
 3,996

Chapter 1: Betrayal

The Beat of Their Hearts

Chapter 1
Betrayal

A dark blue unicorn stallion with a black mane ran through the snow covered street’s of Canterlot, tears running down his face. He ran through the crowd, ignoring their stare’s and looks. His mind was like an abstract puzzle, the pieces disorganized and in utter chaos, the event’s leading to his current state started to play themselves back in his mind.

Two Hours Earlier

The shape of a music store came into view, a dark brown earth pony sporting a fedora was manning the counter while a dark blue stallion was in the back wrapping packages.

“Hey Steady Beat. You almost done packing those stereo’s?”

“Last one.” he said as he finished wrapping the box. “Done, can I leave boss?”

“Yeah, just lock up the back.” he said as he threw the unicorn a set of keys, Beat locked the back and proceeded to exit the store and make his way out into the cold snowy night. He galloped back to his apartment with flowers in hoof and a grin on his face.

I hope Lilly likes these. It’s been three years and I think it’s time I ask her.

He reached his apartment’s door and withdrew his key, as he put it into the lock he noticed that the lack was open. Beat put the thought out of his mind and continued inside, he found the warmth of his home welcoming, he heard a noise come from the bed room.

Strange, I thought Lilly had a double shift tonight..

He snuck up to the door, he heard a moan come from the other side. Not a moan of pain, a moan of pure ecstasy. Fear spread across his face.

No....please no.

Beat opened the door just a crack, enough fro him to poke his head inside to see his mare-friend being ravished by a grey pegasus stallion. His best friend. He heard another moan escape the mare’s lips, he dropped the flowers and ran out of the apartment slamming the door behind him.

Present

Steady Beat continued to make his way through the city. His best friend had betrayed him, his girlfriend cheated on him, he had no-pony to turn to. He went to closest bar and started to drown his misery in alcohol. Soon a grey pegasus stallion made his way through the door and sat down next to the unicorn.

“Hey buddy what’s going on?” Beat stood up and slugged the pegasus in the stomach, sending him to the floor. “What......was........ that for?” he said as he regained his breath.

“Like you don’t know traitor!” he said as tears started to form in his eyes.

“What are you-”

“I saw you two!” the pegasus soon caught on to what his friend was saying, Beat had tears streaming down his face and had a look that could kill a dragon. “Why? Why Thunderlane, you were my best friend! How could you?” the grey pegasus got to his hooves and returned the blow to the unicorn.

“Not my fault you can’t satisfy your mare-friend.” he said with no remorse in his voice. “I was only friends with you because I felt sorry for you, you’re pathetic. Clinging to life with no direction, they say that a ponies life is based on their capacity to fulfill their purpose. I can’t even begin to imagine what disappointment your parents must feel.” that last comment pushed Beat over the edge, he tackled the stallion and began to beat him to a pulp. Thunderlane found an opening and pushed the unicorn off him, he grabbed a bottle of liquor and smashed it on the unicorn’s head. Beat dropped to the floor in pain, the pegasus grabbed the unicorn’s horn and began to use his face as a punching bag. Thunderlane pulled the unicorn by his mane and threw him out the door, Beat heard the sounds of laughter come from inside. He got to his hooves and spat blood out of his mouth. Beat stumbled away from the bar and continued down the road, he could feel blood beginning to flow from his scalp, he made his way towards the outer part of the city.

“Hey watch where you’re going!” a white unicorn mare said with an aggravated tone in her voice, she then noticed his current state as he bumped into her. “Hey, are you okay?” Beat ignored the mare and made his way towards the only place he felt at home, his source of inspiration. ‘The Luna Bridge’ it was the same color as Luna’s full moon during the Nightmare Night Celebration and shined like a bright star. Beat climbed on top of the railing, he felt the snow hitting his coat and mane. He paused for a moment to take in the scenery, as he did he could have sworn he heard some-pony call out to him. Beat closed his eyes and jumped, he felt his body fly through the air and smacked against the ice that formed on the river. The ice began to crack under his weight, he felt the ice cold water envelope him in a freezing embrace.

Steady Beat then heard a splash and felt himself being dragged out of the water and felt the cold ground underneath his coat. He opened his eyes to see a soaking wet white mare with an electric blue mane and piercing red eyes glaring at him.

“What were you thinking!? You could’ve died!” she bellowed as her face turned to a frown. Beat was about to speak up but felt a cold grasp take him and he slipped into unconsciousness. “C’mon stay with me!” the mare yelled. She began to press on his chest and beginning to breath into his lips. She continued the process until he coughed up the water he had swallowed. “Thank Celestia.” she said to herself, she then waved over a passing pony, they brought out their phone and dialed 9-1-1. Two ambulances soon came to them, the medics loaded the unconscious stallion onto a stretcher and wrapped the mare in a wool blanket and helped her into the ambulance.