• Published 12th Jan 2013
  • 3,334 Views, 64 Comments

Resistance: Fall of a Man - Final Resistance



Riley is a Resistance fighter that has escaped the Chimeran onslaught on earth and finds himself in Equestria. While he would welcome a life of peace the virus inside his body has other plans.

  • ...
5
 64
 3,334

Introductions (Part 2)

Introductions (Part 2)


My dreams that night were filled with the friends and family I left behind. The dream opens up to me and my family at a park near our old home. I was around eight in this dream. I see my older brother playing football with his friends in the park. The happiness on his face is infectious and I can feel myself smiling with him. My sister playing with her dolls and imagining a world where her dolls are real and living full lives. She is just sitting in the grass playing as our mother and father watch her laughing together and enjoying the imagination of a child. These were the good times.

Next thing I hear is a shout and I look to see a baseball heading towards me. I duck out of the way just in time for the ball to hit a tree behind me. I look to where the ball came from to see one of my best friends Matt standing their with the biggest grin on his face. Matt was always one to laugh and see the good in everyone. I could never be mad at him for long because just like me he does goofy things to get others to smile. We joined the Resistance when we both turned 18. We watched each others backs in the field. We were on many missions together and we always made it out in one piece.

That is until a mission to attack a Chimera tower went very wrong. We were backed into a corner with 5 others from our squad fighting about 30 Chimera hybrids. Matt took a bullseye round to the shoulder and had to take cover. The hit nearly severed his arm from his body. Blood was flowing out of the wound fast but we had a medkit with us so we patched him up real quick. He would not be able to help us fight.

The fighting raged for what seemed like hours but when only 10 Chimera were left me, Matt, and 2 others were still alive. We killed the last of the Chimera and began to make our way towards extraction. I was helping Matt out but as we started to make our way out Matt roared in pain. I was just about to look when he forced me out of the way and that’s when I noticed the bullseye tag in his back. A second later rounds from a bullseye were heading towards him homing in on the tag. Just before the rounds him Matt said his final word to me.

“Survive”

Then Matt was gone ripped apart by the rounds fired by a surviving Chimera. The world slowed down when what remained of his body started to fall to the ground. I snapped. I picked up my rifle and shot the Chimera in the head and screaming a curse to all his breed that they will feel all the pain that I have felt. There were only 3 of us left out of the original 7 in our group and as we made our way towards the exit another of use would fall to their wounds before we got out. Me and another friend of mine made it out alive. As I was flying back to base I heard that the mission was successful and we obtained tech and information. But the cost was high and we lost a lot of good men on this tower. I swore in memory of Matt that I would survive all of this and I would carry on and live a life.

I opened my eyes to see the sun shining down on me in my hospital bed. The light was stinging my eyes but not as much as the tears that I was unaware I was crying. I wipe them away remembering all the friends I had lost in the war. So many had fallen just to save humanity.

I hear the door open and Nurse RedHeart walks in holding a clipboard. She looks at me smiling but it turns o a frown when she notices my face and fur stained with tears.

“Are you alright?” She asks.

I look at her and say, “Yeah just bad memories coming up again. I will be fine just give me a minute.” I collect my thoughts and I clear my mind bring me back to the situation i’m in.

“Thank you for your concern Nurse RedHeart. So will I be able to leave today?” I ask her.

She looks at me for a second with concern before she turns her attention back to her clipboard, “Yes you should be able to leave after a few tests we need to make sure you are fully healed.” She then motions for me to follow her to another room. In the room with various tools used to check someone’s health. She begins testing my blood pressure and heart rate. Then she tests my reflexes. RedHeart performs several more tests and I pass each with flying colors. She compliments me saying I am one of the healthiest stallions she has ever seen. It is thanks to my time in the military and all those endless drills they had us do.

After a half hour of testing she gave me a clean bill of health and said I could leave. I was taken to the lobby where my vest and Folsom were waiting for me. I was so happy to see my rifle safe and sound. I put on my vest and swung the Folsom over my back. Nurse RedHeart approached my with a curious look on her face.

“What is that anyway? I mean it looks like a spear but not like any spear I have seen before,” she asks me.

I begin to think of a way to explain my odd “spear” without actually telling her what it is. “Well a friend and I designed it together and because of its heavy construction it is able to deliver devastating blows with relative ease. It’s a very special kind of spear with deadly abilities,” I tell her.

She looks at it closely and asks another question. “What is this piece back here? It looks too small for a hoof to get in but a griffon’s claw or minotaur's fingers might be able to touch it.”

I see her motion towards the trigger on the rifle. “It is so they could get a better grip on the weapon and that piece right there can be pulled when a certain object is added making the weapon even deadlier. The friend who helped me make this was a Griffon,” I explained.

“You are a friend with a Griffon?” she asks.

“I was a friend with one but he passed away a long time ago,” I tell her thinking of Matt.

RedHeart looked at me sympathetically. “I so sorry,” she says.

“It’s all right he was a good friend and you should never forget friends,” I say.

I would be filling out paperwork for the hospital for the next hour before Nurse RedHeart and I said our goodbyes. I decided to take a look around the town that would be my home for awhile. I began to walk towards what looked to be the center of town. As I walked through the town I see many of the inhabitants looking at me. I chalked it up to this being a small town so someone will notice a new face. As I continued to walked some would even wave to me and I waved back no reason to be hostile towards them.

Then I spot one of the strangest things that I have ever seen. A home that looks like it was made in a tree. It has a sign out front so maybe it is a little more than a home. I approached the sign to see what it said.

“Ponyville Library”

A Library? Excellent I could use a few good books to read and I could gain some more information. I walked up to the door and knocked. My mom and dad raised me to treat others with respect and mind your manners. This looked like a residence so treat it like one and knock first. A heard some noise from within as someone made their way towards the door. The door knob began to turn and the door opened revealing something that didn't register in my mind for a second.

“Hi there!” a purple lizard said to me. “Did you need help with something?”

I just stared at it unable to process what this was in front of me. Why out of everything I have seen has this one stopped my brain on the spot? It is a purple lizard with green spines.

“Hey mister are you ok?” it asked me. I had no response for him.

“Oh I get it you have never seen one of my kind up close. Well no worries i’m a nice dragon I won’t do anything to you,” he said as he struck up a heroic pose.

“Uhhh.....,” was all I could say to him. A dragon? Well that's it I am just gonna not think about this one too much.

“Well my name is Spike so what brings you to the library? Did you need to see Twilight?” Spike asked.

“Uhh no no I was wondering if I could check out a few books?” I asked remembering how to speak.

Spike smiled, “Twilight is gonna love that. Not too many ponies come in here to checkout books.” Spike stepped aside and motioned me inside.

I stepped inside to find shelves filled with books of all sizes. I was thrilled to see so much knowledge in front of me that I almost ran to them but I heard a new voice call down to use.

“Spike is somepony here?” I heard a mare’s voice call.

“It’s a new stallion Twilight! He is here to checkout some books,” Spike shouted back.

I heard some books fall upstairs like someone had trapped themselves in a fortress made of books. Suddenly a purple Unicorn appeared. She had dark purple hair with a pink streak in it. Her hair was messy like she had just gotten up but forgot to fix it. I thought it was a little funny but cute because I have forgotten to fix my hair many times as well.

“Welcome to the Ponyville Library. What books are you interested in checking out? Are there any subjects in particular?” she asked me eagerly. She seems to be excited by the fact I am here to check something out.

“I like many types of books but I am looking for history books today. Would you happen to have some books on that subject?” I asked.

Her smiled widened. “Yes we have several books on history,” she said. Twilight made her way towards a bookshelf and pulled down several books for me. She returned with 5 books. 2 on pony history and 3 on other species histories. “Oh I haven’t introduced myself . I am Twilight Sparkle personal student of Princess Celestia,” she says.

“A pleasure to meet you my name is Resistance Hail,” I introduce myself. She smiles at me. “I never knew the Princess would have a personal student.”

“Well I wanted to enter her school for gifted Unicorns but during my entrance exam I showed so much potential that she took me under her wing," she tells me.

"Well it’s nice to see somepony actually use the library not too many come in here to check out books so it is nice to meet another so interested in book.”

“Well that is sad to hear. I love books not only for the information they contain but how they can help pass the time. They are quite relaxing too,” I say.

A huge smile spreads across her face and I can see a spark in her eye. Just before she says anything the front door opens revealing a light yellow pegasus. She came inside and was looking around.

She spoke in a voice that was barely above a whisper. “Hello Twilight I was wondering if you cou-,” she stopped when she saw me. We just stood there looking at one another until she dashed behind a chair.

“Fluttershy you don’t have to hide this is Resistance Hail a new pony in town,” Twilight said to the new arrival.

This one sure lives up to her name. “She is right I am not here to do anything to you I just came to borrow some books,” I say trying to calm her.

Fluttershy stopped shaking and poked her head out from behind the chair. “Wait are you the same Resistance that saved the Cutie Mark Crusaders?”

Cutie Mark Crusaders? “Do you mean Sweetie Belle, Applebloom, and Scootaloo?” I asked. She nods. “Yes I was the one who fought off the Diamond dogs that wanted to abduct them.”

Fluttershy steps out a little. “Did you hurt the Diamond dogs badly?”

I am confused to her question but by the sound of it she might not like violence. I should choose my next words carefully. “I hurt them enough to make them leave. None of their wounds were deadly.”

Fluttershy moves back behind the chair.

“I wish there was another way to make them leave but they left me no choice but to fight,” I tell her trying to calm her. Twilight decided to speak up next.

“Wait YOU fought off those Diamond dogs?” Twilight asked.

“Yes I did. Not all of them attacked me at once but I managed to beat them,” I tell her. “I am a traveller that helps towns with monster problems. I try to use reason to ask monsters to leave but if the monster is dangerous to the citizens then I have to take more drastic actions.” I pull the Folsom from my back and show it to Twilight.

Twilight notices that it is not an ordinary spear and takes it. She begins to look all over the weapon studying anything that caught her attention. It was funny to see someone who took knowledge so seriously. Spike approached me with a spark in his eyes.

“Wow you really fight monster?” he asked.

“When I have to but like I said I would rather use diplomatic means to solve an issue,” I tell Spike.

*Click* I look to see what made the noise and upon my discovery my blood ran cold. My heart skipped a beat when I saw Twilight looking down the barrel of the rifle and she accidentally flicked off the safety. I curse myself for not taking out the magazine before handing it over. I quickly take it away from her before she sets off a round.

“HEY!” she shouts at me and begins reaching for the rifle. I put a hoof to her chest and hold her back.

I flip the safety back on and pull out the magazine. I pull the bolt on the gun back popping out the round in the chamber. *sigh* “You have no idea how dangerous that was.”

I turn to look at her and her eyes are just looking at me with eagerness in them. Twilight let loose a barrage of questions. “What was dangerous? What did you take out? What are those? Is this some new type of weaponry? Did you build this?” She inches closer to me with each new question.

“Th...This is a weapon designed by a friend of mine. I did help build it. I won’t explain to you what I just pulled out of it. It is a secret only known to me and my friend,” I tell her. I turn to see Fluttershy close to me as well. She was curious of what got Twilight so excited. Surprised by how close she was I jump a couple of feet in the air and she jumps back as well.

Twilight uses this chance to snatch the rifle from my hooves and continues to examine it. “This is amazing! Amazing craftsmanship in the metalworking and the design tries to balance weight with power,” she says. Anyone could see the hunger in her eyes to try and understand what is now in her hooves.

If anyone is going to figure out that I was not originally a pony it would be this mare. I snatch the rifle back and this time I sling it onto my back so she can’t get it.

“PLEASE TELL ME HOW IT WORKS!” she yells getting right up to my face. I am on the verge of running away just to get away from this mare. Then Fluttershy taps Twilight on the shoulder.

“Umm...Twilight? I really think you should calm down you’re scaring him,” she says.

“Yeah Twilight calm down i’m sure he will explain it to you,” Spike adds.

Twilight came out of her knowledge seeking stupor to see me very nervous of how close she was to me. She jumps back and begins apologizing. “I’m sorry i’m sorry i’m sorry! I sometimes lose control when there is something new to learn.”

*sigh* “It’s alright Twilight I get the same way sometimes no big deal,” I say shrugging it off. “Thank you for your help Fluttershy,” I say.

Fluttershy hides behind her mane and offers a weak you’re welcome to me. I begin to look over the books that Twilight had brought to me. I am looking forward to reading these but then I realize I have no way to carry them back to the ship. I could go gather my backpack but I don’t think I will get back in enough time. “Twilight I don’t have a way to transport these books to where I will be staying so if its alright can I just come here and read them when I have free time?”

Twilight nods at me and smiles. “Of course you can come read in here it is a library after all,” she giggles.

“Thank you very much now I really must be going. I have to find where Applejack’s farm is. She has agreed to hire me,” I tell them.

“It’s on the outskirts of Ponyville so just take this road when you leave and you should have no problem find it,” Twilight says.

“Thank you, now I must be going. Have a good day,” I say and turn to make my exit.

Twilight calls after me, “Next time I would like and explanation on how that weapon works. Oh you might meet a pink Earth pony today and her name is Pinkie Pie. She loves making new friends but shes a little.......hyper.”

“I will keep an eye out for her,” I call over my shoulder.

I left the library and take the road that should lead me to Applejack’s farm. Just as before ponies are giving me weird looks. I notice that not too many pegasi are around so that probably makes me stand out even more.

I reach the edge of the town and catch sight of a barn in the distance. I was happy to see my gal in sight but I also felt uneasy like I am being watched by someone. Probably just my paranoia playing tricks on me. I start to make my way towards the farm when a pink flash appears in front of me. I fall back on my flank and look to see a pink Earth pony in front of me. She had a grin on her face that stretched from ear to ear and her hair was wild and poofy. It’s the kind of smile you would see on a crazy person. Something about this one makes me uneasy. She is about 7 feet from me. A safe distance.

I blink.

She is now in my face.

“GAH!”

“Hii’mpinkiepieandyouarethenewstallionintownright?WellIknoweverponyintownandtheyareallmyfriendssosinceyouarenewthatmeansIdon’tknowyousoIneedtoknowyoutobeyourfriendthenIwillknoweveryponyagainandbeeveryponiesfriendsandthebestwaytomeetponieisa.........” she stops.

“PARTY!!!!!!” she yells.

I am crawling away and I don’t think she has noticed.

“Whatcha doin?” she asks while standing on my back.

I freeze. I could feel her gaze on my head. What is gonna do? Strike me down while I am defenseless? I turn my head very slowly to look at her. She has her head cocked to the side like a curious dog. “Nothing.”

“Well it sure looks like you are doing something. Are you going to Sweet Apples Acres?” she pries.

“Is that Applejack’s farm?”

*GAAAAAAAAAASP* “You already know Applejack?! Who else do you know? How many more have you met before me?” she asks while still on my back. Her face still closing in.

I tried desperately to crawl away. I have faced Grims, Leapers, Steelheads, Howlers and Titans but this mare freaks me out like no other. I reach my hooves out digging into the ground to pull myself away.

“Are you trying to get away from me?” she asks in a sad tone.

I look to see her hair is flat and straight. Her vibrant coat of pink has become darker like her mood. In her eyes I can see tears forming.

*sigh* “No I was not trying to get away I was just going to walk and talk with you at the same time,” I tell her.

Her hair hair springs back to life and she hops off my back. “Okie dokie lokie,” she says. I stand up and we start down the path together.

“So you’re Pinkie Pie right? Twilight mentioned I might run into you,” I tell her. “My name is Resistance Hail.”

She is bouncing down the path. “Yeppers I am Pinkie and it’s very nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you as well. I am on my way to meet Applejack so I can help on the farm. I am a traveller so I am earning money for supplies.”

“WOW I bet you have been to a lot of places,” Pinkie says.

“Yes I have seen many places and many things,” I tell her. “Some of those memories I wish I could forget.”

“Were they that bad?” she asks.

I put my head down a little. “Yeah they are pretty bad. Lost a lot of friends and even some of my best friends,” I say with a sad tone.

Pinkie stops bouncing and wraps me in a small hug. “I’m sorry.”

I have only known her for about 5 minutes but it pains me to see her sad. “Not your fault Pinkie we knew the risks when we took those jobs i’m just sad that I won’t see them again,” I say returning the hug.

We continue on the path to Sweet Apple Acres. The last conversation is probably stick in Pinkie’s mind. Her hair had straightened slightly so I have a guess that it changes with her moods. I would have tried to cheer her up but I had no idea what to say. I never know what to say in these situations.

We reached the farm several minutes later. “Well I guess this is the place,” I say. I look to see a large sign that has Sweet Apple Acres written on it. “Thank you for the company Pinkie.”

Pinkie looks at me with a smile on her face then she lets loose a large gasp. “I need to get your welcome to Ponyville party ready!” she says.

“Pinkie you don't have to do that I am just fine without a party.”

“Nope, everypony gets a welcome party and that includes you,” she says forcefully.

I sigh in defeat I doubt I will be able to argue with this one about anything. I give her a smile and a nod.

“YAHOO! You wont be dissapointed,” she races back towards town.

I just stare in amazement at her speed. “That one is gonna be trouble.”

I walk onto the property to see if I can spot anyone that could help me. I see an older mare in a rocking chair on the front porch. I approach her but she is sound asleep in the chair. She is also talking in her sleep but at most it is just gibberish. She looks like the grandmother of those three apple siblings. “So i guess you are the head of this band of farmers right?” I say quietly.

“Eeyup,” a deep voice said.

I turn to see Big Macintosh standing about 7 feet behind me. “Hello Big Macintosh I came today to help or at least get an idea of what I need to do.”

“Eeyup,” he replied and turned. I started to follow him to the orchard to where I guess I will help pick apples. Big Mac approached a tree and looked it over. Then he turned around so his flank was facing the tree. Before I could ask what he was doing Big Mac lifted one of his back legs and gave the tree a might kick. The tree shook violently and all the apples fell to baskets waiting at the base of the tree. He looked at me and I must have had a face that would make anyone laugh. He chuckled a bit and motioned me towards a tree.

I went to the tree he told me to hit and I looked at it. It was full of apples but not as much as the one Big Mac just hit. I turned my flank to it, lifted both my back legs off the ground, cocked them both back so I could put my full weight into this hit, and I fired. *BAM* The impact sent a shiver up my spine and made my whole body shudder. I look to see about a third of the apples had fallen. “You have got to be kidding me.”

“Well you did pretty well for your first time bucking an apple tree,” Big Mac said. I looked at him and he nodded at me. I did the same movement as before and the rest of the apples came down. “How many trees do you get to in a day?” I asked.

“Depends but we could get over a hundred trees in a day,” He just shrugs it off.

“Well you are going to get a lot of laughs watching me buck apple trees,” I say to Bic Mac with a smirk. He smiles at me and begins to walk deeper into the orchard. “Eeyup.”

This is going to be a long day.