• Published 12th Jan 2013
  • 3,291 Views, 64 Comments

Resistance: Fall of a Man - Final Resistance



Riley is a Resistance fighter that has escaped the Chimeran onslaught on earth and finds himself in Equestria. While he would welcome a life of peace the virus inside his body has other plans.

  • ...
5
 64
 3,291

A Morning of Apples and Cupcakes

A Morning of Apples and Cupcakes


It has been a couple of hours since I arrived on the farm to help out with the apple bucking. Big Mac in not really one for conversation but it is nice to have some company while working out here. However the apple bucking was not coming along that well for me. No matter how much I try the feeling of using my back legs like this is really weird. I can feel my technique getting better but even with my military training my stamina is fading fast. I put so much effort into each strike that I forget that not all of it needs to be used on each tree.

*THOCK* I look to see Bic Mac using only one of his back legs to knock all the apples out of a tree. He looks over and gives me a smug smirk. I point my hoof at him.

"Don't you look at me like that! I haven't been doing this for a long time like some ponies."

Big Mac just shakes his head and moves on to the next tree.

"Smug bastard," I whisper.

The next tree I need to buck is a little smaller than the rest. I size it up as I approach it. I think I could knock all the apples out of this one in a single hit. I have gotten close on several trees but they never want to give up all their precious fruits. I focus my mind on my target. I turn my back to the tree and ready a powerful strike.

"Howdy Resistance!"

"Wa!" I kicked, striking the tree at an angle and throwing myself off to the side. As I lay on the ground, I hear laughter erupt and I look to see Applebloom and Applejack. Both were laughing hard enough to almost fall over and they would have if they were not propping each other up. "Did you really have to do that? I felt like that could have been the one." I gave them a sad face.

"Sorry about that didn't mean to scare ya," Applejack said.

I glare at her. "I was not scared. I was startled. There is a difference."

Applejack rolled her eyes at my statement. "Well anyway for your first day out here I just wanted to see how you were doin'." She took a look at the amount of trees I have bucked. "Not bad, for a first timer."

"Well my specialty isn’t in bucking apples i'm afraid."

Applejack raised an eyebrow, "then what is it then?"

I just smile at her, "Maybe I will tell you later."

She shook her head at me, "all right keep yer little secrets fer now."

I gave Applejack a large grin and stood up. I got back into position behind the tree and got ready to buck it again.

*THWAK* Most of the apples come tumbling down but a stubborn few still remain. "Oh come on! Am I ever going to do this in a single hit?!" I shout. More giggling ensued behind me and I turn to look at Applebloom. "What are you laughing at?" I say.

Applebloom gives me an innocent smile, "Oh nothin." She walks over to a tree that is about the same as mine. She rears up and gives it a good buck.

*THWAK* All of the apple come down without much trouble. She turns to me giving a smile filled with pride.

I sit on my flank with my mouth hanging open at what I just saw. Applejack giggles at me this time. I point a hoof at Applebloom's tree, "Ok that right there, that's not fair. She comes up to my chest, yet she can knock down all those apples without much trouble? I would say a word, if I wasn't in the company of a child."

Full blown laughter erupts from the two apple siblings. I roll my eyes, but I soon join in on the laughter. I don’t know how long it has been since I laughed liked this.

"Well that's enough work fer today," Applejack said. "We gotta head inta town."

"We? You and Applebloom?"

Applejack shakes her head. "Nope yer comin along."

"Why?" I ask.

Applejack winks at me. "Its a secret," she tells me and giggles.

"A secret huh? Well I would pry more, but you left my secrets alone." I stand up and brush myself off. I walk over to my Folsom leaning against a tree, and sling it onto my back. "Alright, lets go." Then the three of us head towards the gate leading off the farm. The walk towards town will take several minutes.

I wonder what this secret is? Maybe it is suppose to be a surprise. I shouldn't think on it too much or I might spoil it and that's no fun for anypony. Then they will be all depressed and I will have to find a way to cheer them up. Curse you curiosity! I really want to know.

"Mr. Hail?"

"Hmm?" the voice of Applebloom brings my mind back to the world. "Yes Applebloom?"

"If ya don't mind me asken, how did ya get yer cutie mark?" She asks pointing a hoof at my flank.

I look back at my cutie mark and give it a good look. The mark itself is a play off a skull and crossbones from old pirate flags. The skull in this case, is that of a Chimera hybrid. I have seen so many that I will never forget what it looks like. Underneath the skull the two bones are two rifles crossed. It is a good representation of my past life. Constantly fighting from day to day for the survival of man. I hope that that last mission put us on the road to victory.

"I got my mark from a fight with some monsters. It turns out I am good at dealing with them," I tell Applebloom.

Applebloom gives me a confused look, "What do ya mean 'deal with them'?"

"I mean that I either talk them out of attacking innocent creatures or I force them to stop. I have a way with words so I can usually make them leave no problem. It's only the stubborn ones that need a little more persuasion to leave." I reach back and tap the rifle on my back.

She looks at it with wonder. "Is that thing really powerful?"

I smile at her,"Yes it is very powerful. It has seen me through many tough fights." My face drops to a slight frown. "It is also very dangerous, that is why only I should use it unless I give you special permission." I look at her to make sure she heard me. She looks me in the eyes and I smile in return.

"So how dangerous are we talkin her'?" Applejack asked with a concerned look on her face. She had every right to be scared of this thing. They don't know its true capabilities, so I need to calm their fears. "Don't worry, the most dangerous part of it right now is the blade. The other part can't do anything unless I insert a special piece." I show her one of the magazines filled with ammo on my vest. Applejack just looks at the rounds with confusion.

"How can somthin' so small be dangerous?"

I gave her a smirk, "Ah that is a one of my secrets dear Applejack. You will just have to be patient." I just turn and continue down the path. I hear Applejack groan in frustration, and it makes me all warm inside.

"Think yer hot stuff dontcha?"

"Not at all Applejack I just don't want to explain it again if others want to know."

We continue our trip towards town in silence. How long has it been since a walk was just a walk, and not a march to another battle? Too long in my books. I listen to the leaves rustling in the trees and the birds singing their own little melodies. This world is so peaceful, makes me wonder if there ever could be war here. Then again, it was very peaceful in my childhood while the Chimera invaded the rest of the world. I just have to remember that not everything is as it appears.

"So would ya mind tellin' us a bit about yerself?" Applebloom asks.

I didn't acknowledge her at first, but after a few seconds I looked at her with a smile, "Sure, well I am from a small desert town called Ridgecolt. It seems like everypony there knows one another so it is a very tight knit community. We look after one another so everyone is like family. However I got tired of that and decided to set out on my own to see the world. I have been travelling for several years, and have seen many things. You learn something new everyday is a little motto I live by. All you need to do to notice something new is slow down and look at everything."

I stop and point to a tree. "Do you know how a tree gets water to its tallest parts?" I look at my companions and they both shake their heads. "Well water is attracted to water. Meaning if you put two drops close enough together then they merge into a single drop. A tree uses this and "pulls" the water inside itself up to the tallest parts." It always amazed me to think about that. Humans can't build anything to do that efficiently but a tree does it so easily. "Here we think we know just about everything, then nature throws another new discovery our way."

Both apple siblings nodded their heads in understanding but from the looks they were giving me they didn't understand all of it. "Well it's not very useful to know that but it does help you understand how the tree moves the water inside itself." I can still see Applejack eyeing my rifle. "Like I said the blade is the only dangerous part on it right now."

"Well ah don't like the fact that ya carry somthin' dangerous around but ah trust ya not ta hurt anypony with it," Applejack said.

I stop and look at her, "That brings me to my own question. Why do you trust me?"

That stopped both of them in their tracks. We stare at eachother for several minutes before Applebloom decides to speak up. "What do ya mean why?"

"I mean why just all of a sudden trust me? I haven't done anything really to earn your trust. Sure I saved your life but any decent pony would have done the same. My actions shouldn’t mean I get your trust."

Applejack closed her eyes in concentration. I could almost see the gears turning in her head as she thought of a reply. Applejack and her family seem like great ponies to me. They gave me a job and some food. I want to trust them, but I still have to know them more.

"It's because ah can feel the good in ya"

"Huh?"

"What ah mean is thatcha don't have a feelin of evil around ya. It's more like ya have a strong sense of right and wrong," Applejack clarified.

I just shake my head, "Well whatever your reason I am grateful for the trust. It has been a long time since I had anyone to have a real conversation with." I turn and start down the path once again.

"How long has it been?" Applebloom asks.

I don't even look at her, "a couple of years. I mostly meet people who just want to get the job done and get paid. It makes my job a little lonely but hey you get use to it." I just shrug it off. Most people during the war didn't want to talk about their pasts. Not because they were ashamed of them, but they did not want to remember a life they had lost to the Chimera. I lost a lot of friends and loved ones to the six eye bastards.

"That's really sad Mr. Hail."

"I don't really like being called Mr. Hail. So you can call me Rez. It is short and simple." I smile at both of them and they nod in agreement.

"So since you are learning about me, how about I learn something about you two? How long has the farm been around?"

"Well the farm has been here since Ponyville was founded. My great grandpa was given the land by Princess Celestia."

"Wow, really? She just gave him land?"

"Yep, the family was plum tired from gathering seeds from all over so she gave the family land to settle down."

"Well that was nice of her to do that for your family. The princess must be pretty great then huh?"

Applebloom decided to speak up this time, "Ah course she's great. She's the Princess! She takes care of her subjects! She watches over all of us and makes sure we don't get hurt!" Applebloom went on about the princess for a while. It was funny to see her so hyped about answering my question.

I chuckle "Ok, I get it. She is a great princess. Thank you for telling me all of that Applebloom." Applejack chuckled with me. Yeah, it's good to have friends again.

We reached town but the strange thing was that no pony was about. The sun was still high in the sky and the weather today was just perfect. It made no sense. Maybe there was a holiday or something. My two companions might know more than me. "Where did everypony go? It's barely noon but they are all gone. Do you girls know whe-"

They ditched me. This is just like with my friends back home. You don't look in their direction for a few seconds they decide to run away. All in the name of having a few laughs. Well at least this town isn't filled with Chimera. I remember getting separated from my squad on a few missions and there is no other feeling like being left alone in hostile territory. It does piss me off a little about how we just had a conversation about trust and now they just upped and left me.

"Well ok then, fuck you too. I guess I will find out what happened on my own." I walk through the town looking for any clue that might lead me in the right direction. The town looked abandoned, like everypony just dropped what they were doing and left. I had seen towns like this when the Chimera were approaching. "There are no clues around here. In fact, no hoof prints or anything." A gentle breeze blows through and a tumbleweed goes rolling by.

"Uhh...why is there a tumbleweed in the middle of town?" I will just chalk it up as another weird quirk of the world. "So they're not here, well where else...could...they...be?" All other bodily functions just stopped. I could smell something I haven't smelled in years. An object so rare that I had forgotten what it tasted like. All I can remember is that it is one of the greatest foods ever created.

"Cupcakes"

My body begins to move on its own. The original mission lost to the furthest recesses of my mind. I follow the glorious smell that fills my nose. Oh heavenly aroma, where will you lead me? Will I be lead astray and die a horrible death or will I find the promised land filled with the magical creations known as cupcakes? I will have my answer soon, the smell is getting stronger.

I wind through the streets, getting closer and closer to the goal. I round one final corner and I spot the promise land. A building that looked like it was made of several pastries was standing there. The creation reminded me of the witch's house out of an old story. The witch would lure children to her home, then fatten the children up before she ate them. Well that house is just begging to be eaten. I am happy to oblige.

*CHOMP* "OW!!! That fucking hurt! Curse you, you lying building! Your are not sweet! You are just a web of lies strung together by mortar."

While rubbing my lower jaw, I notice that the door inside is slighlty ajar. I decide to walk over to see inside the lying building. The lights were off and by the looks of it no pony was home. "Excuse me, but your door is open."

There was no reply. I peek my head inside to find a light switch. The darkness covers just about everything so I can't see a switch. I reach my hoof around on the wall looking for anything.

*Squish* "Wa?" My hoof touched something sticky in the dark. If it wasn't for the fact I am in a world devoid of Chimera I would be freaking out about now. I pull my hoof back and look at it. It is covered in a pink colored substance. I sniff it to determine what it is. It smells like a concentration of sugar. I take a tiny lick to taste it.

.......Oh.....My.....God.......

It is the best thing I have tasted in years. With my discovery, I remember what origanlly led me to this location. The promise of the cupcake better be upheld or there will be hell to pay.

The door suddenly closes behind me leaving me in the now pitch black room. The witch has me trapped!

"SURPRISE!!"

My eyes are temporarily blinded by the sudden lights but as my vision returns I can see ponies everywhere. All of them beaming at me from their hiding places. I see my new friends in the corner and I return their smiles. So this was the surprise Applejack was talking about, I should have guessed a party. Pinkie did mention throwing me a party. Ok so no witches here. Yet.

"Hi!" speaking of Pinkie. "Were ya surprised Rezzy? huh? huh? were ya were ya?" The pink ball of energy asks. I can't help but smile with so much energy in one creature.

"Yes Pinkie, I was very surprised." I looked around at all the guests at this party. It looked as if most of the town might be here. "You set up a party like this really fast."

Her smile only grows wider. "Oh course I did silly. I'm really good at throwing parties. Yep yep it would be really hard to throw a party better than me." She puffs out her chest in pride of her accomplishment. I chuckle at her lack of modesty.

"Thank you very much Pinkie, this is ver-" and there it was. Sitting on a nearby table in all its glory. The cupcake that has led me to this destination. Sugar had become a scarce commodity on Earth after the invasion. You were lucky to find some old wrapped candy. So it has been several years since my last encounter with sugar. If I recall correctly, I have good control over my cravings.

"Sugar!" Nope.

I lunge towards the cupcake and devour it in a single bite. It didn't matter to me that there was still paper on the cupcake. It was so good. My tongue was dancing in my mouth, tasting all the cupcake had to offer. I look around, all party goers are now staring at me. What I can't figure out is why I see fear in their eyes. I know what I did was out of the ordinary, but i'm sure it wasn't that strange.

"No....not another one." Somepony from the crowd spoke up. "It can't be another Pinkie."

Another Pinkie? I look over at the pink mare and she is just smiling away. Is she really that bad? I look around at everpony, their faces growing more concerned with each passing second. I decide to put their fears to rest. "I just haven't had any sugar for a long time. I won't make it a habit of going crazy. I promise." I can see relief sweep through the crowd. They all regained their composure and continued to socialize. I grab a few more cupcakes.

I see Applejack in a corner so I head over to her. I wave to her and she returns it. As I approach one question in my mind is bothering me. I lean in and whisper to her, "is Pinkie Pie really that bad?"

I could tell Applejack was holding back a fit of laughter. Her face was twitching all over. Her mouth was trying to smile but she was trying to keep a straight face for as long as she could. The battle looked like a tough one but it looked like she was going to win. However, I could not let that happen. I love to hear the laughter of others and if she thinks it would be wrong to laugh it just makes me want to hear it more. I look her in the eye with the straightest face I can muster. In an instant I shove three cupcakes into my mouth making my cheeks puff out. I could see the tides of war change in her face. She puffs her cheeks in a last ditch effort to win. Now for the final nail in the coffin, I need to say two words that will bring her to her knees. "Chubby bunny"

Applejack lost the war.

The laughter of any creature brings a smile to my face. The fact that her laugh is a little funny as well sets me in a laughing fit of my own. Another laugh joins ours and I look to see Pinkie on the ground laughing with us. Infact, most of the party goers are laughting in one way or another. Back home there was no time to have a good laugh. The war seemed to drain away the laughter in people's lives. Without their laughter the stress of life took its toll on everyone. People at a young age would get gray hairs.

As the laughter dies down, everypony gets back to the party. I mingle with a few new faces and some I have already met. Nurse Redheart was there and it was a pleasure to see her again. I thanked her for taking care of me and she asked how I was doing. I told her of the few ponies I had met ad she is happy to hear I am doing well. I only left the hospital this morning. I met the mailmare of Ponyville. Her name is Ditsy but she says everyone calls her Derpy. Her eyes were crossed but it didn't matter. She was very funny and witty. I met the spa sister Aloe and Lotus. Their spa gets many customers but the one who visits the most is Rarity. They asked if I planned to vist them anytime soon. I told them I would consider it. I'm not really looking forward to it if I go.

"So are you enjoying your party Rezzy?" Pinkie asks.

"Yeah Pinkie, I haven't been to a party in years." I think the last party I had was for my 15th birthday. I had pizza for dinner and a chocolate cake. Several of my friends were there along with my family. My thoughts are interrupted when I hear Pinkie gasp.

*Gaaaaaaaasp* "No party in years?! How did you survive?!" She was incredibly close to my face now. Enough that our fur is touching a little bit. It feels strangley nice......NO! Bad brain focus!

"Well when you're traveling around, you really don't stop in one place long enough to have a party." I explain. I try backing up a bit but Pinkie just mirror's my moves. A sad expression covers her face.

"So no parties?" Her eyes were shimmering with tears. Wow Pinkie's emotions like to jump around. One second happy as can be, next full on crying. As I try to think of away out of this situation there is a pull on my tail. I turn back to see two babies glaring at me. I guess they don't like to see Pinkie cry.

"I didn't mean to make her sad honest." Both of the babies didn't seem satisfied with that answer and continued to pull on my tail. It didn't really hurt, but it was getting a little annoying. "Well do you know of a way to make her happy again?" Both foals look at eachother and a smirk stretched across both of their faces. They raced off to what looked like a kitchen and came back with a bag of flour. "What am I suppose to do with this?" Both foals start to motion me to pour it over myself. I look at the bag, then at the foals, and finally Pinkie who is about to unleash a torrent of tears. *sigh* "Ok i'll do it." I open the top of the flour bag and lift it over my head.

*Fwoosh* I cover myself in flour. Everypony just stares at me. Well that didn't cause anypony to laugh at me. So did I just pour flour over myself for no rea- "ACHOOOOO!" a sneeze shook my body hard enough to remove most of the flour. There was complete silence.

Then an eruption of laughter from the two foals and Pinkie Pie. Everypony had a smile on their face. I did look silly with the flour covering me. I look down to the two foals. "So who are you two?"

Pinkie pie spoke up, "they are Pumpkin and Pound cake. They are the twins of the owners of Sugarcube Corner." Pound Cake was a pegasus with a brown mane and Pumpkin Cake was a unicorn with a orange mane. "Both their parents are earth ponies so they have their work cut out for them. Every now and then I babysit to give the Cakes a break."

"Well it is very nice to meet both of you." Both foals giggle and started to climb all over me. Pound was drumming away on my back while Pumpkin was chewing on my mane. It was very adorable, and a little painful. The parents of the twins came out to greet me and to take the foals away for their nap. I went back to talking with Pinkie for a little bit before she skipped off to see how everypony was doing.

The party went on for about 2 hours before the crowd started to disperse. Since it was a party for me I wanted to help clean up. Pinkie Pie refused at first saying that it was her job as the host to clean up, but I would have none of it. Some of Pinkies friends stayed behind as well to help clean up. Among them was Rainbow Dash. She didn't help as much as the others but she did help. I have been meaning to ask her a question. I have been in this world for only a few days. I have managed to at least keep my cover, and make a few friends. Now I need to make another step in this new life.

How should I approach this though? She seems like a mare that is more williing if you just come straight out and say it.

"Rainbow Dash" I call to her.

"Hmm?" she turns to look at me. "What do ya need?"

I am feeling very nervous about this. I am probably about to ask a very awkward question. I would avoid it if I could but this needs to be done. Just suck it up and be a man, or stallion.

"Would you mind...teaching me the basics of flying?"

Smooth.

Author's Note:

I was not happy with that last chapter so I redid it. I like this one much better so hope you enjoy. Also his romantic interest could be any mare. Just state your reasoning behind your choice. Could be one of the mane 6, a background character, or maybe an original character.