• Published 12th Jan 2013
  • 3,291 Views, 64 Comments

Resistance: Fall of a Man - Final Resistance



Riley is a Resistance fighter that has escaped the Chimeran onslaught on earth and finds himself in Equestria. While he would welcome a life of peace the virus inside his body has other plans.

  • ...
5
 64
 3,291

A Night of Animals and Stars

A Night of Animals and Stars

Well here I am, standing in a small dust cloud left by a very shy Pegasus. I blink in suprise at her speed. “Wow, she can move when she wants to. Maybe all Pegasi are inherently fast. Well all of them except me right now.”

I follow the dust trail to her front door and knock. *knock knock* “Fluttershy? I didn’t mean to startle you; I was just following the animals.” Technically I was following the music but the animals were heading there too. I wait for a response but none came. I put my ear up to the door and knock again. There is the sound of scurrying feet from the other side of the door. If I had to guess, just like her yard her home is probably filled with animals. I am about to give up and leave this socially awkward Pegasus alone when I feel a small punch on my back leg. I turn to see a snow white rabbit glaring at me with his arms crossed and stomping his foot. He would be adorable if I wasn’t receiving the death glare. “Sorry didn’t mean to scare her. So, who are you? A good friend of hers?” I put my head down to his level so I don’t seem intimidating.

His reply was a punch to my eye. I gotta say that little bastard can hit hard. “YEEYOW!”

I start to rub my eye when I hear a small cry. I thought that one of the animals had been hurt but I see the rabbit pointing at me and giving what I could only guess was his best battle cry. My theory was supported by the fact that I was swarmed by several different animals all of which were trying their best to get me to leave. I refuse to be beaten by a pack of fuzzy balls, when I have faced down Chimera Titans. I start by shaking the smaller ones off with great success. The few that are able to keep their grip now find themselves with my undivided attention. I begin to bat them off of my limbs and back one by one. I continue to knock and shake the critters off of me until they run out of steam. I thought that the fight was over until the instigator of all this starts his solo attack on my back. He pulls on my mane and stomps at the base of my wings. The stomping on my wings hurt the most since they were used earlier today. My attempts to shake him off are met with more pulling and stopping by the furry bastard. The battle with the other animal is starting to take its toll on my tired body. It looks like victory might be his but I won’t go down without a fight. He decides to finish me off and starts yanking both of my wings.

“OWOWOWOWOW! What did I do to piss you off?! I said I was sorry and didn’t mean to scare her. Come on, give me a brake rabbit!” The door to Fluttershy’s home suddenly flew open and there stood a distraught looking Fluttershy.

“Angel bunny, you know better than to attack somepony like that.” The bunny, or Angel, let go of my wings and hopped over to Fluttershy. He stated to flail his arms all over in an attempt to explain his actions to her but by the looks of it he was just digging a deeper grave. “Angel, even if he did scare me that is no excuse for you to attack him. Now go inside and I will decide on your punishment later.”

Angel looked like he was about to argue until he met Fluttershy’s gaze and lowered his head in defeat. He hopped inside with a defeated look on his face. Poor guy, I wasn’t happy about being attacked but he was only trying to defend his loved ones. I can respect that.

“You can go easy on him. He was only trying to protect you and that’s a good quality for a friend to have.”

Fluttershy shakes her head. “No, he needs to know that attacking somepony isn’t the right answer.” Fluttershy seemed all right now that something had happened to call her outside. I was about to ask what she had in mind for his punishment when she suddenly realized she was talking to me and cowered in front of me. I am not as tall or as big as big MacIntosh but I am still taller than the mares of this town so I might be a little intimidating to Fluttershy right now. I decide just like with Angel I need to appear none threatening towards her. I lay down on my belly so I appear smaller than her. I know it’s a trick most use on animals but if all these animals are any indication that she knows a lot about animals she will notice what I am doing. As if she was reading my mind she followed along and laid down as well. We sat in awkward silence with me looking around for something to talk about and Fluttershy hiding behind her mane. Even though we have met before I don’t think she will be to open to talk to me right now. I know, I will say the first thing that pops into my head.

“You have a very nice singing voice.” Fuck you brain.

“Oh umm...thank you for the compliment”

“Just speaking the truth.” I smile at her and she proceeds to hide her face with more of her mane.

Maybe I should just go and leave her alone. “Again, sorry that I scared you. I’ll go so you can tend to your animals.” I get up to leave when a bird lands on my back. “Hey there, did you come to attack me again or see me off?” The bird chirps it response.

“He says he’s sorry and doesn’t think you’re a bad pony anymore.”

I give her a confused look. “You can understand him?”

“Yes, I can understand all my animal friends.”

“Wow, that’s incredible.”

She blushes at my statement and hides her face in her mane again. I take a look around at all the animals beginning to gather around me. They don’t look like they are getting ready to attack so I just stay calm. I see a beaver amongst them. I have never seen one before in real life so this is very nice surprise. I reach out to pet the beaver that is close by but the beaver steps back from my sudden movement. He might think I am going to assault him for attacking me earlier. I pull my hoof back from him and smile. “Don’t worry I’m not mad at any of you for what you did. You all were just looking out for each other and that’s a good thing.”

The beaver steps forward now and stops close enough for me to reach him. He still looks scared like I plan to do something to him so I reach my hoof out for him to inspect it. I see Fluttershy watching my actions with interest. The beaver is still inspecting my hoof and after several seconds of inspection it nods at me signaling me its ok to proceed. I slowly bring it to the top of his head and give him a light rub. I could see a smile stretch across both the Beaver’s and Fluttershy’s faces. When the beaver seems satisfied with my rubbing I pull my hoof back and smile at him. “Thank you for allowing me to pet your head.”

The beaver smiled back and walked off. The rest of the animals went back to what they were doing before, deciding I was no long a threat to their friend. I looked to Fluttershy who was giving me a smile which I returned. “Wow, they don’t normally warm up to other ponies this fast. They must feel calm and safe around you.”

I shrug, “I’m just good with animals.” I see she has a chicken coop, bird houses all over, and several pens. “So I take it you really enjoy animals.”

“Oh yes, I love to take care of them. I help them when they get hurt and if they want I try to find them a loving home.”

“So you run an animal rescue shelter? That’s nice of you.”

Another blush appears on her face. She is so innocent, probably wouldn’t hurt a fly. I look around at her home with all the animals getting ready for a good night sleep. I see squirrels rounding up their families, birds gathering together in nests, and rabbits making their way towards their burrows. Not a care in the world for any of these creatures. I look to the sky to see the stars starting to coat the black sky in dazzling lights. I hear a tiny yawn behind me and I already know it was Fluttershy. I turn to her and I can see her eye lids drooping. “Taking care of these animals must take a lot of energy. If you need any help at all I will be glad to lend a hoof.”

“Oh umm, thank you very much but I don’t want to trouble you.”

I wave my hoof dismissively, “It would be no trouble at all. It will be nice working with animals.”

She smiles at me. “Oh ok, thank you again.” Another yawn escapes her.

“You should head inside and get some rest. I’m sure you have had a busy day.”

She nods, “Good night Resistance.”

“Call me Rez. Good night Fluttershy.”

She heads back into home and I make my way towards mine. I soon find myself lost in the dark and wondering what road I need to take. Stallions never get lost, we go exploring. I decide on a path and hope I am making a head way towards my ship.

As my treck through the night continues I come back to the field Rainbow Dash and I used earlier in the day. I know where I am now but my ship is now about thirty minutes away from me. Flying now would only end with me getting myself hurt. I turn towards the right direction this time and start towards my destination.

Before I even take ten steps I stop. I see a pony sitting on top of a hill gazing at the night sky. Is there something going on up in the sky? I look up and see nothing but stars like I always have. I decide to postpone my trip home to see who this pony is and ask why they are staring into the night sky.

I approach quietly to not disturb what they are doing. Whoever this pony is has a dark coat and it makes them hard to see. As I get closer I notice that one color does stand out in the dark. I see what looks like a pink strand of hair running down their back. Every now and then I see the pony stop star gazing to look at a book or write something down on a note pad. Since writing something down would be almost impossible for most races, I have to come to the conclusion that I am looking at a unicorn here. Also from the body size and hair style I’m going to say that this is a mare. She hasn’t noticed my presence yet which means I was very quiet coming up here or she is so into her work she’s not paying attention. Either way looks like I have a chance for some fun.

I creep slowly towards her with every move as quiet as it can be. Each step is carefully placed to avoid any unusually sounds that would give me away. I feel like a lion stalking its next meal through the thick brush of Africa. With each step bringing me closer to my target I go over the plan in my head multiple times to make sure I follow it to the letter. Finally I am in range and she still hasn’t noticed me but now I know exactly who this mare is. She has a candle with her but it is small and doesn’t provide much light for her to see what she is writing. I can imagine her straining her eyes trying to see what she was reading and writing. This gives me an idea of what I am going to whisper into her ear. I hold my breath while I lean in close.

“You really should get more light.”

Twilight’s reaction was priceless. There was a scream, a jump into the air, running around like a chicken with its head cut off, a sleeping dragon being woken up, and finally the dragon joining in on the mare’s screaming. I couldn’t contain the laughter in me. I fell over and started to roll around and laugh. My sides ached from all the laughing. My two victims on the other hand had stopped their screaming and were not very happy with my prank. “Resistance! Why would you do that?!”

I stop my laughing to answer her question. “Two reasons. One, you really should get more light when you’re reading. Two, you let your guard down so I took my chance to scare you.” I smile at her and she glares in return. Her horn comes to life and I see a large mound of earth ripped up and brought over my head.

I never dropped my goofy smile at her. I looked her in the eyes and said, “I regret nothing.” Next thing I know I am under a mountain of dirt. Whelp time to dig my way out. There is enough room to dig with my front hooved like a dog.

Dig dig dig dig dig.

A minute or two later I am free from my tomb and I see Twilight and Spike still glaring at me. “Oh get over it you two. Ok what I did was a little mean but all in good fun. Also you got your revenge when you dropped a mountain of dirt on me.”

I shake the loose dirt from my body and cover my assailants in a dust storm. I look to see them both covered in dust. I suppress my laughter with a hoof over my mouth.

“Ok, I did not mean to do that.”

A silence lingers between the three of us. Twilight and Spike look at each other and decide to break the silence with a bunch of laughter. I smile at the two knowing that all is forgiven by this point. Then I remember my original reason for coming over here. “Hey, what are you two doing out here anyway? I saw you looking at the stars before.”

Spike speaks up first. “Well Twilight wanted to come out here to look at all the constellations and see if there are any new ones she can spot. I came along to keep her company but I umm fell asleep." A small blush of embarrassment can be seen through his scales.

Twilight takes this chance to speak. “Yes that’s right. I was taking down notes and reading up on the constellations too.” She took a look at the tiny candle she brought with her. I suppose you are right, I should have brought more light to use. I don’t want to end up with glasses.”

“I’m sure glasses aren’t all bad. In fact I kind of like them. It can give somepony a more knowledgeable kind of look and the can look kind of cute.”

A blush appears on her face and she suddenly finds her hooves very interesting. Whoops didn’t mean to start hitting on her like that. I have known her for less than a day. I need to calm down and get back on topic. “Anyway, looking at the stars sounds kind of fun to me. Mind if I join you for a little while?”

“Of course you can join us. It might be nice having somepony to talk to who doesn’t fall asleep.”

I decide to come to Spike’s rescue. “The little guy needs his sleep if he wants to grow up big and strong. If I can take his place and keep you company I say let him sleep.” She looked to Spike who was already back on the ground curled into a ball fast asleep. She smiled at the sleeping dragon and walked over to him. She nuzzled his head bringing a smile to Spike’s face. She then went back to her spot on the hill and sat down. She look to me and tapped the spot next to her. I sat down next to her and we both gazed up at the night sky.

Twilight would write something down in her note pad every now and then. She took my advice to heart and moved the candle closer so she didn’t have to strain he eyes. I continued to look into the night sky trying to see what she saw. After twenty minutes of trying to see what I don’t understand I take the Folsom from my back and start to look it over. It could use a good cleaning but this is not the time or place to do a full breakdown of my weapon. I look to the blade on the front to make sure it isn’t coming loose and I pull the charging handle to see if it still moves smoothly. None of these inspections are really needed right now since I can’t fire it anyway but it gives me something to do. I notice I don’t hear the sounds of a quill scratching parchment anymore. I turn to see Twilight staring intently at me and my rifle.

“That’s right, I promised to tell you how this works didn’t I.”

Her response is a nod. I sigh knowing I made a promise and I shouldn’t break it. Twilight might not question what it is right now giving me time to think up a good reason for its existence. I decide to give her a crash course in the specs of the rifle hoping that will be enough to satisfy her. “Ok, I call this the Folsom carbine. It is an assault rifle that fires a .303 caliber round faster than the speed of sound.” I see her quill scratching down every word I say. Her smile stretches from ear to ear and her eyes are sparkling with joy at each new piece of information.

“It can cycle through seven hundred and fifty rounds a minute. It has a launcher underneath the barrel that can fire explosive projectiles over a short distance. Its nickname is “the paddle” because you can “spank” enemies with the wooden buttstock. It has good accuracy and is effective at 500 yards.”

I think Twilight has stopped listening to me and is just staring at my rifle. The quill is still moving so I think it has an auto record spell on it. The moon is rising high in the sky by now so I decide to call it a night on the questions. “It’s getting very late Twilight; I think we should turn in for the night.”

Her gaze never leaves the weapon lying in my hooves. I shake the Folsom to brake her trance. “Huh? Wa?” I roll my eyes.

“I said I think we should call it a night.”

“But you haven’t told me everything yet. There is so much here you need to elaborate on and you need to explain so mu-“ I put a hoof to her mouth to cut her off.

“I will tell you more about it the next time we meet but we both have work to do tomorrow and we can’t be tired. You have a library to take care of and I need to buck some apple trees.” She looked like she wanted to protest but she stopped. She gave what I said some thought and nodded in agreement. She gently lifted Spike onto her back and carried her other supplies with her magic. I slung the rifle onto my back and made sure it wouldn’t move.

“Good night Resistance. I look forward to future discussions with you.”

“I look forward to those talks as well. Good night Twilight.”

After such a long day I only want to get to my ship and sleep the night away. My muscles were more fatigued than I thought. On my walk back as I got closer and closer my muscles began to ache from today’s activities. I am able to make it back to my ship with no more distractions and open the hatch to get inside. Once inside I look around and see everything the exact way I had left it the day I fought those Diamond dogs. I place the Folsom in one of the weapon racks and I shed my clothing. The cool air of the night causes me to shiver a little. I fold the shirt into a makeshift pillow and lay it down on the floor so when the sun rises it will hit my face. I rest my head and the cold floor of the ship feels good on my tired muscles.

The day’s events play over and over again inside my head. I made a good impression on the ponies in the town and I made a few new friends along the way. Set up a few job opportunities to help me get off the ground and start a normal life. My eye lids start to feel heavy and I slowly drift off to sleep wondering what the next day will bring.

Author's Note:

Woot! Next chapter is out! Do you guys love me? huh? huh? Come on say you love me...

Fine screw you too.

Anyhoo next chapter is going to be an interesting one and the story's pace should start picking up. Untill then keep the Resistance strong and never give in.