• Published 12th Jan 2013
  • 3,322 Views, 64 Comments

Resistance: Fall of a Man - Final Resistance



Riley is a Resistance fighter that has escaped the Chimeran onslaught on earth and finds himself in Equestria. While he would welcome a life of peace the virus inside his body has other plans.

  • ...
5
 64
 3,322

The Derelict Ship

The Derelict Ship

Stepping through the camp, Resistance could feel the eyes follow him; could he blame them? He is dressed in strange armor and carrying two weapons they have never seen before. Another factor that makes him stand out is his fur color compared to all the others. All the soldiers present had white fur and were wearing gold armor. Resistance’s fur is a dark gray and his vest and shirt are almost black. He locks his eyes on his goal: the giant tent where he is supposed to meet the others. As he approaches the entrance, he can hear voices from inside.

“The recon group has kept an eye on the town but hasn’t seen anything move in hours. The last thing we saw was something dart from one building to another and that was hours ago. Since then, the town has been quiet and still.” A young-sounding voice says. Resistance could tell this soldier has experience and is probably the one in charge of the operation now.

“Very good, captain. Please keep me informed if anything changes.” A kind, motherly voice speaks.

“Understood, your highness.” The captain says. Resistance stops in his tracks. Royalty? He only had a brief run in with Princess Luna the other night and this was definitely not Luna. Could this be her sister she mentioned? Only one way to find out. Resistance steels his nerves and steps inside the tent.

********

Twilight is known to go a little overboard when anything involves Princess Celestia. Like the time Fluttershy took her ‘sick’ Phoenix and tried to nurse it back to health. Or the time Celestia was coming to visit her and everypony in Ponyville only to have a parasprite infestation to break out. Both times, she reaches the edge of a nervous breakdown, only to be pulled back by her friends.

Now as she sits at a table where a huge decision is being made about a new object that has landed in pony territory, she has to constantly tell herself not to freak out. This is not the time to lose her head over something like this and it’s best if all of the elements stay calm.

Having said that, she is nervous for her teacher to meet her newest friend, and most likely the pony who can help solve their problem. Resistance has been an odd pony ever since she has known him, which hasn’t been long but he shows so much potential in his inventions that she can think of nopony else who could do this task. As she waits, she glances to her teach and ruler. She has known the princess for a very long time, and can see when she is faking confidence.

Her teacher’s vibrant hair has lost some shine. She must feel so much pressure to resolve this issue. Everypony is doing their best but it still might not be enough, Twilight thinks.

********

Princess Celestia, kind ruler of the ponies and strong supporter of harmony. Little has ever happened she could not solve with a little thinking. She could always rely on the elements or her little ponies to help solve a big issue. She has always been proud of her subjects and smiles each day she gets a chance to help them.

Except now. She can do nothing to help her ponies. Some of her guard has been sent to find the problem only for them not to return. She fears she has lost them and has forbidden any pony from entering the town. She wanted to go herself but no pony would even budge on letting her go. They claimed it was too dangerous and they could not afford to lose her. Her little ponies, just like her feared the worst had happened in the town. If anything did happen to her then their whole society would come crashing down.

Oh how she wishes Luna was here to help her reason with her generals. They don’t see how much she could help if she just had a chance to see the problem. Although she has to admit that the lock on the door was very hard to crack. She has never seen such symbols before, and no creatures have ever written like that. Magic was completely useless on the metal and only caused the door to tighten its grip.

Now she must sit here and wait patiently for Twilight’s new friend to show up. She was quite clear in her letter of how helpful this stallion could be. His clothing and way of acting shows a bright thinker.

The tent opens to reveal a gray pegasus.

He walks in and all attention falls on him. His eyes sweep the room. A small smile dances on his face as his eyes fall on his friends from Ponyville. So he is the one Twilight mentioned in her letter. Celestia looks over the new guest and sees what Twilight was talking about. Such advanced weapons and armor from a single stallion. The stallion’s eyes fall on Celestia and he bows his head slightly in respect. Celestia returns the gesture with a smile.

********

Resistance enters the tent and notices the coolness of the air. Perhaps a spell to keep the inside of the tent cool? Resistance asks himself.

He gazes around at all the new faces inside the tent. Several older stallions with various scars adorning their armor and bodies look to the newcomer as he enters the tent. Resistance’s eyes travel around the room and they stop at his new friends. Pinkie Pie has a huge grin plastered on her face, and she looks like she is ready to explode with all her pent-up energy. Applejack looks over the map on a large table in the center of the room, showing the quarantined area. Her eyes are wide at the sheer size of the quarantine. Rainbow Dash looks like she is about bored to tears. She probably wants to get out and practice something. Fluttershy is, well…acting shy. Rarity is chatting with one of the generals present. He can only catch a portion of it but she seems to be asking about the lifestyle of military ponies in Canterlot. Finally, Twilight is staring at him with a nervous smile.

He couldn’t help but smile at his new friends and their different personalities. Finally his eyes fall on the large pony at the end of the table. From a glance she looks as tall as a man but her horn makes her even taller. Her wings are much larger than his and her crown signals who she is. Resistance bows his head slightly in a show of respect and he is rewarded with a smile.

He walks up to the large table and between two officers who give him a stern look. He ignores them and pours over the map in front of him. On it are locations of all the scouting teams watching the town and the location of the ship. It’s a little inside of the quarantine ring but a number of soldiers are stationed there to keep trespassers away.

Resistance points a hoof to the town on the map. “So this is where the teams have gone missing?”

No pony answers him for several seconds before a general speaks up. “Who are you?” His voice filled with authority.

Resistance doesn’t even look up as he continues to scan the map. “The name is Resistance. I’m here to solve our problem before it gets out of hand.”

“A civilian solving this problem? Ha, why don’t you just leave it to us military stallions and go back to making cookie or whatever you do?”

Resistance glances up. “Because you’re great minds have led to the death of good ponies and I don’t feel like gambling anymore on your plans.”

The general reals back but before he can get any more in edge wise Celestia speaks up. “What do you know of the situation?”

“Hmm…well I can’t be certain until I get a look at the object that landed before all of this started. I need to determine if that breed of creature is actually here or not.”

“What creature is that exactly?”

Resistance hesitates. “It’s…a very dangerous breed and leave it at that.”

He chances a glance over to the princess and, no surprise; she is giving him a skeptical look. Resistance looks around and all the others are giving him the same look.

“I really want to explain, I do. It’s just…how do I say this? These creatures are not to be taken lightly. I doubt you have ever seen anything like them before, so I just need to see to make sure. I promise to tell you everything as soon as I know. Please, I need you to trust me.”

Celestia closes her eyes and she begins to think.

********

Celestia’s thoughts are filled with her little ponies. She can see all their smiling faces as she passes them on the streets, how excited they are when she speaks to them directly. Finally how happy they are to know she will keep them safe. Now they won’t let her risk her safety for theirs and she has to rely on somepony. The only one offering a solution is the strange stallion at the table.

She opens her eyes and looks into the stallions’. He is trying to hide something from her and it’s more than just this current situation. His eyes show a great deal of past pain and experience. He doesn’t look like a pony straight from a lab or workshop. No, he looks more like a soldier from a long war who just wants to rest.

Celestia nods. “Fine, but after this you will tell me everything.” The look in her eyes shifts to a very serious gaze. “And I mean everything.”

Resistance sits in silence for a few seconds before nodding. “Deal, now let’s go look at that ship.”

********

The group of ponies began the trek to the ship with Celestia and several guards in front leading the way. The walk had been relatively quiet, except for a few whispers here and there from the ponies around Resistance. They whispered back and forth about how they don’t trust the way he looks and trying to guess what his weapons are. Resistance ignores their biting words and focuses on the task at hand.

“It’s getting interesting, isn’t it?” A voice says from inside his head.

“What do you want?”

“What? Can’t a guy come to see his very best friend face off against the monsters he thought he escaped?”

“Is that your only reason for bothering me? If it is I would appreciate it if you went back into the depths of my mind for now. I’m busy thinking.”

“Ouch, your words--they wound me so. How can you be so cruel to me? I thought you loved me!”

“Just leave me alone. I’ll entertain you later.”

*sigh* “Very well. But I’m staying up here to keep an eye on you. Don’t need you dying now.” With that the voice recedes a little into Resistance’s mind.

“Resistance!” Rainbow Dash yells.

“Gah!” Resistance nearly falls onto his side in surprise. “What is it?!”

“Yeesh, what’s with you today? We’re here.” Rainbow Dash points to the ship surrounded by ponies in lab coats. A tiny trail of smoke is still coming out of the engines. The ponies surrounding it are poking and prodding different parts while jotting down notes. One is at the door of the ship, getting frustrated because he cannot figure out the combination to the door.

Resistance starts to approach the scientist at the door only to be stopped by two guards. They give him a stern look. Their spears crossed in front of him, making it clear he won’t get through easily. “No one is allowed beyond this point without clearance.”

“It’s all right. He has clearance.” Celestia calls from behind Resistance. The older of the two guards moves his spear but the younger one kept his spear in place.

“You’re just going to get in the way.” The young guard says. Resistance head-butts the young stallion in the face where his helmet doesn’t cover. He falls to the ground holding his bloody muzzle.

“You’re in my way.” Is all Resistance says as he continues to move to the door of the ship.

“Hey! I’m not through with you!” The young guard shouts as he stands back up. He glares at Resistance but he pays him no mind. “I said I’m not done!”

“Stand down soldier!” A stallion calls out. Resistance turns to see a white stallion with two shades of blue in his hair step up. “The Princess said he has clearance. I don’t care how you feel about letting a civilian through, but you will follow orders.”

Civilian. Resistance hasn’t been a civilian for a long time. He doubts he will ever be one again. The young guard picks up his spear and takes his old position but Resistance felt him glaring at him the whole time.

“Sorry about that. Some soldiers never know when to quit.” The stallion from before says to Resistance. He sticks out a hoof. “My name is Shining Armor. I’m captain of the Royal Guard.”

Resistance shakes Shining’s hoof with his own. “Resistance Hail, traveling monster hunter and apple farmer.”

“Interesting occupations.” Shining smiles.

“Puts food on the table.” Resistance turns back to the door and approaches it.

“Mind telling me what you plan on doing? Most of our scientists have given it a shot, but not one of them can come close to cracking the code.”

“I just plan to open this door for you and confirm my suspicions. Now I would like all of you to move back. No telling what’s inside.” Resistance watches ponies in lab coats and armor start to back away. Only Shining remained close. “Do I have to say a magic word for you to back up?”

“I have to stay close in case you are attacked.” Shining replied.

Resistance pulled the Bullseye from his side and inserted a magazine. The gun roared to life and lights lit up on the side. Many ponies jumped backed surprised by the sudden movement and the noise from the strange weapon. Shining stood his ground however. “Not even going to ask huh?”

Shining just gives Resistance a cocky grin. Resistance sighs. “All right fine but promise me you won’t get any closer.”

“As long as there’s no trouble, I won’t get any closer,” Shining says with a hoof over his heart.

Resistance accepts that as good enough and turns his attention back to the door’s control panel. Each symbol is lit up so it can easily be seen. Resistance takes a deep breath and hits a combination of three symbols. Suddenly a small screen pops up and symbols begin to display across it. The symbols were the strange language that the Chimera speak but so far only a little has been translated by man.

“Extraordinary!” A scientist stallion shouts.

“I’ve never seen anything like it!” A mare exclaims.

Resistance grins. “You haven’t seen anything yet,” he says under his breath. Resistance starts to tap out symbol after symbol in an attempt to open the door. Every now and then he has to touch the screen to activate a certain system and this riles up the ponies behind him who are amazed by his control over the strange machine.

Resistance stops and puts a hoof to his chin. “Hmm…”

“What’s wrong?” Shining asks.

“Well most of the power cells have been damaged so I have to reroute power from other systems to try and power the door.”

“What’s the problem then?”

“I have to take away power from the lights so if I get it open it’s going to be pitch black in there.”

“Can’t you just put the power back to the lights afterwards?”

“No or else the door will shut itself again. I’ll just make due but just to be safe get your magic ready.” Shining’s horn begins to glow as he charges up his magic. Resistance breathes deep and begins the final sequence. The panel turns off, and the door slowly starts to lower. Resistance backs away from the opening and keeps his Bullseye at the ready.

Slowly, the door creaks open with metal gears grinding against one another as they lower the door from its resting place. All ponies present hold their breath as the door moves. Shining, with his sword at the ready, stares at the darkness on the other side. Celestia begins to put a spell together in case she must defend her subjects. Resistance stares down the sights of his weapon hoping that nothing come barreling out from the other side. The door creaks one more time before it is completely open.

Everypony stares at the dark void inside waiting to hear any noise. Sweat slowly drips down Resistance’s face as his eyes focus on the dark looking for any movement. Several minutes pass before Resistance slowly approaches the opening. Each step feels like an eternity to the soldier who has done this so many times in the past. You never get used to it is what they always said to him, and they were right. Slowly, Resistance pokes his head inside.

********

Twilight’s head was spinning from watching Resistance at work. All those new symbols and those lights turning on from his commands. She wanted to be up there with him as he did his magic and opened the door. How desperately she wanted to see inside of this new machine and understand how it worked! She felt like she was the luckiest mare in the world to be a part of all this.

So why was she shaking?

Ever since he opened the door Twilight felt in the deepest parts of her mind that they needed to shut it immediately. She could not explain this feeling of uneasiness that she feels. She wants to understand how it works but something inside is keeping her from running in to see. She looks to Resistance who has not made a move since the door opened fully.

“Why doesn’t he go investigate?” She thought. She was about to voice her question until she sees Resistance slowly walk towards the door. Each of his steps seems to take him forever to make as he keeps his eyes on the door and she keeps her eyes on him. She starts to hold her breath as he sticks his head inside.

********

Celestia stands and waits patiently with her ponies as the door to the ship opens. Her suspicions are confirmed the Resistance has hidden more than just what this is or what creatures made it. She lines up each of her questions in her head as she watches the door slowly creak open.

While she is excited to see inside, in the pit of her stomach she fears what could be inside. She has long known how dangerous knowledge could be in the wrong hooves and she can feel there is dangerous technology inside. But not only that, she feels like something is watching her. Unlike her ponies who have concern as they watch her, this new feeling is different. This feeling is terror.

Yes, the feeling of terror is welling up inside of her. What could be inside that is so dangerous that she fears what it could be? The door finally opens fully and she along with her ponies stares at the door waiting for something to pop out and scare them senseless. But it doesn’t come and soon Resistance slowly approaches the door.

Slowly he approaches with cautious steps. He approaches ever so slowly, and with each step, she feels like she should call him back. Her heart skips a beat as he pokes his head inside.

********

“LEAPERS!!!”

“LEAPERS!!!” Resistance shouts and jumps away from the door. From the door leaps a creature the size of a medium sized dog with five eyes in its head. One eye is the direct middle, and on both sides of the head lays two eyes. Each eye rotates independently in its socket, making sure that it leaves no opening on its sides. It walks on four skinny legs that end in sharp bone points that can pierce flesh with ease. Its tail is much like a scorpion except it doesn’t end in a poisons tip, but another boney spike it uses as it climbs on its victims. Its back and tail are covered in armored plating making it hard to kill them with a stab to the back. Finally, its mouth is full of needle-sharp teeth that jut out a little from its face. The teeth are so long that the Leaper can’t even shut its mouth all the way.

The leaper jumps on Resistance’s back, causing him to drop his Bullseye and Marksman. He shakes and struggles to free himself as the leaper tries to aim for his vulnerable parts. A burst of magic blows the creature from his back and Resistance sees that the blast came from shining armor. He starts to charge at the lone leaper but Resistance puts up a hoof. “No wait! It’s a trap!”

Most of the guards stop except for the young stallion from earlier who continues to charge. As he closes in more leapers exit the ship and jump on his back. They force him to the ground and they begin to stab his body with their legs and tails. The stallion screams in agony and images of friends and fellow soldiers flash before Resistance’s eyes as he remembers many falling to this same trick.

Resistance grabs his Bullseye and aims for the mass of leapers. He squeezes the trigger and a volley of energy blasts rush towards the pile and begin to blow the leapers away. They scream as they are torn limb from limb or just blasted apart by the powerful weapon. They leave bloody streaks on the ground as their parts fly through the air with blood trails following after them. Resistance lowers his weapon and approaches the young stallion. His throat was ripped open and blood-filled tear stains marked his face. His eyes wide open in shock about what was happening to him and knowing this was the end of his life. Resistance softly places a hoof over his eyes and closes his eye lids for the last time.

“What the hell were those?” A voice demands behind him. Resistance turns to see Shining Armor glaring at him. Resistance’s face never turns from a neutral stare as he looks at the captain. His eyes are filled with rage over not only the loss of his comrade but the fact that Resistance knew about the creatures and failed to tell them.

“They are called Leapers. They attack in mass and try to overwhelm opponents with numbers. Then they brutally stab their victim to death.”

Shining Armor closes the gap between the two of them. “Did you know they were inside?!”

Resistance shakes his head. “No, normally they take up residence in building or moist environments waiting for prey. I’ve never seen them on a ship like this before.”

“Are these the things that attacked those ponies in the town?” His teeth are clenched.

Resistance says nothing for a few seconds. “No. What attacked them is much much worse than these leapers.”

“What could be worse?!”

“Spinners. They cocoon their victims and begin to change them from the inside out.” Resistance blurts out. Shining stumbles back from the response and sits down. His mind filled with images of ponies being forced into cocoon and slowly changing into some kind of beasts.

“Can we save them?” He asks quietly.

Resistance walks back to the opening of the ship. “No, once they’re in a cocoon their fate is sealed. All we can do is keep them from becoming monsters.” Resistance hops inside of the ship and lets his eyes adjust.

The ship’s interior sinks of rotting flesh. The smell rushes up Resistance’s nose causing the sentinel to start heaving up his breakfast of Sweet Apple Acres treats. A drop of unknown substance drips onto his head and he looks up. Ooze drips from the ceiling where the leapers were making a nest to breed. The nest act like sentries and wait for unsuspecting victims to stumble across it. After they set off the alarm the creatures spring from the nest to quickly take down prey.

After regaining his composure he looks to the cockpit and he can make out two figures sitting in the seats. He approaches and can see that they were Chimera hybrids and by the looks of it in the middle of changing to ponies before they died. Just to be safe, Resistance took the butt of his gun to each of their heads caving in their skulls.

Satisfied with his work, he goes to the back to look for weapons and ammo. Surprisingly there was only a few spare mags for the Bullseye in the back. “Looks like this one was meant to just transport Spinners and leave.”

“That death wasn’t your fault.”

“Yes it was. Now I have another blood stain on my hands.”

“You couldn’t have known.”

“I am supposed to be ready for everything.”

“This has never happened before. They never take leapers on their dropships so you could not have been prepared for this.”

“Maybe if I leapt in front of him.”

“Then you would be dead along with everyone else. Don’t let this death hang on you. You have seen so much and have faced deadly odds to protect others. Death is just part of it and you can’t escape it forever. Yes a young stallion died today. Could we have done something different? Possibly but what’s done is done and you can’t change that. Move forward with this new piece of information in your head and be ready next time.”

“…Thanks…do you think there are Chimera in the town?”

“Yeah. What do you plan on doing about it?”

“I plan to go in there and wipe them out while laughing maniacally about it.”

“That’s my soldier. Now go in there and kick their rotting asses.”

Resistance gathers up the ammo and puts it into his backpack. His hoof touches his helmet and he decides now is the time. He steps off the ship and he can see the body of the Stallion was covered by a cloth. Several of the scientists are throwing up in buckets and behind rocks.

Celestia steps forward and behind her are the shaking forms of his friends from Ponyville. “What has come to attack my ponies?” She demands.

“They didn’t come to attack just your ponies your highness. They came to attack everything and make this planet their own.”

“Who are they?”

“The Chimera.”

Celestia takes a deep breath and closes her eyes. “You will tell me everything.”

“That will have to wait until I get back.” Resistance says as he changes the magazine in his Bullseye and then puts a magazine in the Marksman.

“Back from where?” The princess asks in surprise.

Resistance points to the collection of buildings in the distance. “The town.”

Shining Armor speaks up. “Why would you go there?!” He demands.

“Because I have a job to do.” Resistance replies as he slings both guns to his side.

“What job is that?” Twilight says final.

Resistance slides his helmet on and looks back to his friends. They all gasp at the sight and Rainbow’s mouth hangs open from realizing who he is. “To protect everyone.”

Author's Note:

Yay! Finally got the next chapter out. Sorry for the wait though, school this summer made it hard for me to work on chapters. Now I have two weeks before they start up again so hopefully I will have another complete before they begin. Keep the Resistance strong and I will see you later.

-FR