• Published 9th Jan 2013
  • 3,910 Views, 198 Comments

How I Became An Alicorn... - ShadowBolt94



A look into the humanized world of Equestria, and into the life of our favorite little scholar Twilight Sparkle, years after finding her daughter Nyx in the Everfree Forest Nyx comes to ask the question of how exactly Twilight became who she is today

  • ...
36
 198
 3,910

Chapter 12.1

How I Became An Alicorn

Chapter 12: You, Me, and Italy

***~~~ AN: Warning, the following chapter contains high levels of hillarity, randomness, and badassiry. If you cannot handle the level of awesome I'm dishing out, please feel free to direct your attention to THIS instead, simply because you obviously need to be exposed to something badass to be able to handle this shit. Oh, there's also a language warning... That's about ten chapters over due. I OWN NOTHING BUT MY OC's AND THIS PLOT ((Pun intended))~~~***

Six girls sat around a map, one of them with dart in hand and taking aim at the map blindfolded. Applejack leaned over to Twilight eyeing the pink haired holder wearily.

“Are ya sure she’s supposed ta be blindfolded Twi…?”

“It’s how the princess does it…” Twilight responded with a small shrug.

“Dear… I don’t think this is very wise… we’ve seen what she can do with little else, you’re giving her a dart… a sharp pointy object.” Rarity pointed out.

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes crossing her arms as she hovered midair. “You guys worry way too much. She does this kind of thing all the time at parties. Give her some kind of credit.”

Pinkie closed her eyes and covered them with her hands. “I can’t watch!” she whined. She carefully peeked out of her hands just in case something funny happened.

Fluttershy bit her tongue in concentration as she tried to picture where the map was in front of her. She arched back her hand and flung it forward releasing the dart in perfect sync. She heard it sink into the wall and lifted the blindfold off one of her eyes to see where it had landed.

“Rome…?” she announced questioningly. Dash flew over and removed the dart so that the name could be properly read.

“Yup, that’s Rome. Looks like I get to play a fearsome Gladiator today girls!” she announced with a big grin as Fluttershy removed the blindfold and looked at them all. There was a look of initial shock among them before Pinkie popped up in burst of confetti.

“Viva il Partito Italiano!!!!” She cheered pumping a fist in the air. As usual her cheer was contagious and the others started to smile.

“It IS one of the oldest cities in the world… besides Canterlot I mean. There’s so much I could learn from the sights~!” Twilight bargained with a little bit of a giggle.

“And I would LOVE to see the latest in Italian fashions first hand, wouldn’t you agree Fluttershy…?” Rarity inquired. The timid girl nodded as she toyed with the skirt of her knee length creamy yellow dress.

“It does sound nice… I’d love to visit all the beautiful fountains… they always seem so pretty in movies…” Fluttershy murmured quietly.

“And Ah think Ah’d like ta check out those plaza’s I always hear so much about. They sound pretty lively. Might even catch ferry over to Pompeii while Ah’m at it.” AJ said with a shrug. Twilight’s eyes gleamed.

“You are not allowed to go to that city without me Applejack. There’s far too much history there for me to not make a trip.” Twilight insisted. Applejack chuckled and tipped her hat at the girl.

“Well then how’s about we all just take a trip into Pompeii then…? Towards the end of the day. We’ll tell the crew ta pick us up there.” AJ offered looking around at her friends. They all nodded their approval before Spike, who like the rest of them was still affected by the sweet he ate, stuck his head into Twilight’s room.

“My bad idea radar just went off when I was walking down the hall. Did I just over hear you all say you’re letting Pinkie Pie near an active volcano…?” He asked silently praying he heard them wrong.

“Yup~!” Pinkie giggled twirling around in a little circle. Spike’s green eyes shifted to Twilight.

“Twiiiiiii… There’s a reason the people of Italy are scarred by Pompeii… do you seriously want to add a signature Pinkiesaster to that island’s already bad history…?” he asked crossing his arms slightly as he leaned up against the door frame.

Twilight looked to Pinkie who gave her the biggest puppy dog eyes she’d ever seen as she got on her knees and pouted her lip to her silently begging. “I’ll personally stay with her the entire time to make sure she doesn’t get into any trouble.” Twilight sighed her arms falling to her sides in defeat. Pinkie sprang up crushing Twilight in a death hug as she spun her around and around.

Applejack leaned over to Rainbow to whisper in her ear. “Okay… now Ah’m not the sharpest tool in the shed, but is it just me or are those two a might close ta be ‘just friends’…?” AJ asked in a hushed tone.

“Beats me, I suck at all that mushy stuff. But Pinkie might be a good match for her… might help that stick up her ass fall out.” Dash snickered. AJ snorted a little but when she got a questioning glance from Rarity she stopped and straightened up clearing her throat a little.

“So uh… should we go pack anythin’ or just go as is…?” Applejack asked the bookworm who had just managed to pry herself free from Pinkie’s grasp.

“Well… I’d imagine we’d need day bags… but nothing bigger than a backpack or a purse.” She responded rubbing her sore neck a little. “I’ll go alert the crew, Spike can you-“

“Already on it Twi!” he called from where he was picking up Twilight’s favorite messenger bag and gathering things she’d need for the day trip, like money, snacks, a book, a camera, and her note journal.

“Whoa, you’ve got him trained like a dog Twi. Wish I had a little sibling like that.” Rainbow whistled her wolf ears quirking a little bit.

“He isn’t trained Rainbow, he just likes to help.” Twilight corrected as she pulled out her phone and dialed Captain Vent’s number putting it to her ear as she walked out into the hall.

Rainbow rolled her eyes and made a whipping motion with her hand. Pinkie giggled but was stopped when a sudden gust of wind caused her and Rainbow to fall backwards their hair freezing in a windswept style(Like THIS). Spike looked over his shoulder grinning a little.

“Oh, my bad girls, did the little gust come from me…? Guess I don’t know my own strength in this body…” he mused as he finished packing the bag and set it on Twilight’s bed before walking towards the door. Pinkie was giggling uncontrollably as were the others, well Fluttershy was trying not to laugh but the sight of Dash’s hair blown back like a spikey version of Frankenstein’s bride she couldn’t help herself. Dash frowned as she tried to smooth it back down. She grumbled to herself when she realized it wasn’t going to go down and went into her own room. Fluttershy finally stopped her fit of giggles and followed after Dash to make sure she wasn’t too upset. She knocked on the open door and carefully stuck her head in.

“Rainbow…? Are you alright…?” she asked in her usual gentle soft voice that most had a pretty hard time hearing. Her ears perked at the sound of water running in the bathroom.

“I’m in here Flutters!” Dash called as Fluttershy let out a small squeak and the water stopped. Dash came out with her head soaking wet and a white fluffy towel around her neck that she was using it to dry her hair. “Sorry, but when it gets like that the only way to get it back to normal is to soak it. I normally use a cloud but seeing as we’re on the ground it’s kinda hard to get one of those.” She explained as she ruffled her hair with the towel to shake the last droplets of wetness from it. “Hey, could you hand me my brush? It’s on the dresser next to you.” Dash said pointing beside Fluttershy as she tossed the towel into the hamper.

Fluttershy blinked a few times before registering that Dash had asked her something and she jolted a little before noticing Dash pointing at the dresser with the brush on it. She quickly grabbed it and walked over handing it to Dash. “I thought you didn’t like brushing your hair…” she commented as Dash took the brush and started to run it through her hair.

“I don’t. But I also don’t like when it gets knotted so I brush it a couple of times when I get out of the shower then leave it be.” She replied as she quickly slid the brush through her hair untangling the few knots that had formed with the towel’s tango and then shaking her head like a dog and setting the brush down on the stand. She noticed a few stray droplets had landed on Fluttershy who wiped them off gently. “Sorry… I think these ears and tail are messing with me.” She said scratching behind one of the cyan ears on her head. Without her noticing her foot began to tap on the floor and her face started to contort into a goofy grin. Fluttershy quickly slapped her hand over her mouth when another giggle started in her throat. Dash had heard it though and opened her eyes to look at Fluttershy tilting her head in confusion. “What’s got you all giggly like a schoolgirl…?”

Fluttershy straightened up and lowered her eyes to the ground her hair quickly covering almost her entire face except for one of her eyes which nervously glanced up at Dash.

“U-um… well… you kind of…” she muttered trailing off silently.

Rainbow crossed her arms giving her friend a hard stare, but with her ears and her tail wagging a little behind her it made her look like a puppy trying to stare her down. An adorable little puppy with the cutest eyes and angry face. Fluttershy’s eyes widened a little as her face heated up and she lowered her head even more her long pink tail standing on end and her ears flattening against her head. For the first time in her life Fluttershy was cursing her affinity for small adorable animals. “Well…? I’m waiting…” Rainbow reminded her as her impatient foot began to tap.

“I-it’s just that… when you… scratched your ear like that you kinda… um maybe… tapped your foot on the ground like a puppy…!” she squealed ducking her head and getting quieter and quieter as she went. Dash blinked and tilted her head.

“Did I…?” she asked her shy friend who looked like a whimpering little kitten… well, with wings.

“Y-yes…?” Fluttershy offered still a little hesitant at how Dash would take the news of being compared to a puppy.

“Weird… do you do the same thing…?” she asked moving forward and scratching behind Fluttershy’s pink cat ear. Fluttershy opened her mouth to stop her but it was cut off by a loud purr that formed in her throat as a wave of pleasure overtook her senses and made her rub up against Dash’s hand as she scratched behind the ear. She opened her eyes in realization when Dash pulled away and her entire face flushed bright red. But Dash’s smile only made it all the worse.

“Well, well, well, looks like I’m not the only one with a few animal instincts now. Better keep an eye on you. Celestia knows some weird Italian guy would have a field day with you if he found that out.” She noted as she walked over to her closet and pulled out a pull string backpack from it and then slung it over her shoulder. “Speaking of that, shouldn’t you be packing a bag or something…?” she asked the girl as she walked past her and out the door. Fluttershy squeaked a little in realization and quickly flew into her room directly across the hall from Rainbow’s to put together a day bag. Minutes later she emerged from the room with a sunshine yellow tote over her shoulder, her cutiemark was stitched into the side of it courteous of one Rarity Belle.

Speak of the devil… “Rarity fer the last time ya DON’T need to bring an entire suitcase with ya to Rome, we ain’t stayin’ the night…!” Applejack shouted as she stood in the door way to Rarity’s room an orange back pack already on her sturdy shoulders.

“And I’m telling YOU Abigail, that I will not be going anywhere, much less ROME, with just a simple tote or purse…!” Rarity’s voice argued back. Fluttershy smiled at her roommate’s usual go-big-or-go-home attitude. She gently placed a hand on Applejack’s shoulder and the farmer stepped to the side to let her in.

“I’ll calm her down Applejack, why don’t you go see what Pinkie’s up to…?” Fluttershy offered as she shut the door.

Applejack sighed shaking her head as she put a hand to her face. “Never in mah life will Ah ever understand the inner ways of the girl’s mind. And Ah’m not too sure Ah’d like to… Speakin’ of scary minds…” she noted turning to the door behind her that had been covered in bubblegum pink wrapping paper and had a large blue bow slapped on it from the moment Pinkie claimed it as her room. She carefully walked towards it and put her ear to it to make sure there wasn’t some kind of marching band going off inside that she didn’t want to see.

‘Come on Twilight! Keep going we’re almost there!’ Pinkie urged sounding out of breath herself.

‘I can’t hold it Pinkie! It’s too much!’ Twilight complained her too sounding rather exasperated.

‘You can and will! Now put your back into it! Yes! Yessssss!!! It’s working!! Almost…!’ Pinkie exclaimed loudly.

Applejack’s face at this point could have been confused for one of her farm’s famous Red Delicious apples because of its shade. ‘What in Faust’s name are they doing in there?! Th-they can’t be having-!’

“Enjoying the show hayseed…?” Rainbow’s voice asked from beside her. Applejack screamed and in her panic caused Pinkie’s door to fly open and for her to fall in on the confetti covered carpet. She saw Twilight and Pinkie, yes on a bed, but both of them trying to get a bulging pink purse to snap shut by squeezing the two sides together. Pinkie looked up at Applejack’s accidental entry and smiled and waved.

“Hey AJ! Hey Dashie! Could you two help me get this thing closed…? Twilight’s not cutting it.” She mused with a playful wink at the bookworm. Applejack’s bright red face only worsened at that and RD clapped her on the back.

“Sure Pinks, come on hay seed, your muscle bound body is finally going to become practical.” Rainbow chuckled as Applejack stood up from the floor. Twilight was glaring at the supposed evil bag.

“What did you even put in that thing Pinkie?! I life raft?!” she asked the earthbound. Pinkie nodded quickly.

“And a flare gun, an emergency medical kit, an emergency candy stash, chocolate milk rations, a couple peppermint sticks for self-defense, the party cube in case I need to throw a party super-fast, 100 high grade multicolored balloons for the same reason, my tuba, saxophone, drum, French horn, piccolo, banjo, harmonica, and the accordion in case I need to do an on the spot musical rendition of lady and the tramp, sixteen and a half decks of cards, my favorite hat, a box of insta-cakemix, three mystery gift boxes, my creeper whistle, An industiral sized military grade group parachute, a box of every flavor jellybeans, a set of pots and pans with drumsticks, two sacks of all-purpose flour, a hair dryer, a bottle of that white glowy energy drink me and Dashie made before, streamers, a color changing flashlight, A canister of laughing gas, my party dress, a box of crayons and paper, the kitchen sink from down stairs, these cool looking sunglasses I found in my closet this morning, a life size cardboard cutout of each of us, sixteen rubber chickens, three dozen water balloons, a foldable ping pong table with paddles and balls, an old fashioned alarm clock, a box of matches, my wallet, and my portable portal to the multiverse.” She finished happily. Twilight’s jaw re hinged after a couple of seconds before she shook her head and asked a question to make sure she heard right.

“Wait, what was that last one…?”

“My wallet, duh! You can’t go to Rome and not have your wallet on you for souvenirs…!” Pinkie giggled brightly.

“No the one- Oh forget it…” she groaned rubbing her head. Applejack and Rainbow were both eyeing the bag carefully now. It was a big purse, you could probably get away with sticking a full grown dog in it, but for her to fit all of that stuff… no. It was best not to question Pinkie. They’d already learned that lesson. Applejack walked over and tried to force the stuff in the bag down by pushing on the top of it. To her great surprise she felt the bag’s contents give into her pushing and soon her hand was just dangling in an empty space, the once over crowded bag had also shrunk considerably down to the size of any normal purse that you’d see normal women carrying around. Applejack removed her hand from it confused as Pinkie swiped it up giggling.

“Great job AJ~! I’m all ready now Twilight!” she announced putting the purse over her shoulder and hopping out of the room like a rabbit.

There was a moment of silence before Twilight spoke up. “We all agree to forget this ever happened…?” she asked aloud.

“Eeyup”

“Totally.”

“Good, I’m going to go wait for the boat. They should be here in a few minutes.” Twilight announced as she walked towards the door. She reached for her shoulder to adjust her messenger bag only realize it wasn’t there. “Spiiiiiiike-!” she called only to see him standing behind her with the bag hanging from one of his fingers while his other hand held his PSP that he was currently playing with one hand, Avery floated beside him holding his own gaming device and in a similar state of mind. Twilight carefully took the bag. “You packed my-“

“Note book, main pocket.”

“And my-“

“Wallet and sunglasses right hand pocket.”

“And the-“

“Camera and your favorite granola bar are in the front zipper. Here’s your hat. Goodbye Twilight.” He stated as he put a lavender newspaper boy hat with her mark on the side of it on top of her head before he pushed her towards the door and walked back towards his room with Avery following.

“Rainbow whistled as she hovered past Twilight. “I stand corrected, HE has TWILIGHT trained.” She corrected with a small snicker. Twilight’s lavender eyes flicked to Dash. Her finger glowed with her fuchsia aura and Dash was halted midair by a pulling on her cyan wolf tail. Twilight floated past her using her own wings to do so.

“Sounds like Fluttershy needs to train YOU a little bit in tact.” Twilight countered. Applejack chuckled as the door was slammed behind Twilight and she looked down to see Rainbow whining slightly as she rubbed her tail.

“Ya really could use a lesson in manners RD, ya can’t just let loose whatever flies out of your mouth. It’s gonna end up hurtin’ someone real bad someday.” AJ lectured as she helped Rainbow up from the ground.

“Yeah yeah… I know. Trust me, it’s been hard enough trying to control myself around Flutters… she doesn’t like it when I start running my mouth… I think her Mom’s gotten her way too into that etiquette crap…” Rainbow Dash sighed as she hovered in the air a little her wings getting itchy from not being used.

“Funny… considering your mom was the one to put you in the lessons first Rainbow.” Fluttershy’s soft voice came from behind her. Rainbow of course yelped as she landed back on the ground and spun around quickly to face the pink haired girl.

“F-flutters…! How long were you standing there?!” she asked wondering just how much she had heard.

“Long enough…”she replied simply as she brushed past Dash her pink tail flicking under Dash’s nose as she went. “And you don’t need to ‘control yourself’ around me Dashie, I’m well used to your outbursts by now.” Fluttershy reminded the pegasus before she walked out the front door and into the open salty air of the island. Seconds later Rarity strode after her a simple white tote over her shoulder.

She cast a look back at the stunned pair. “Well don’t just stand there you two! Italy is calling and I’d rather not make the beauty wait!” she giggled swaying dramatically before she danced out the door her gem embroidered dress glinting in the mid-morning sun. Both athletes exchanged a look before they both ran for the door shoving one another in the process turning it into a race with little more than a shared glance as the starting gun.

They both sped to a stop on the dock where the S.S Equestria was just throwing out its loading platform. “HA! Beat ya! No you didn’t! Stop copying me!!!” they both exclaimed at once. Pinkie was in a fit of giggles at the state the two were in when she heard the deep throaty call of Captain Vents from the ship call down to them.

“Bonjour Mesdames, I hear you all fancy the city of Rome today!” he called as they all started to board the ship. They noticed the crew standing behind him except for Brise who was more than likely piloting the ship.

“You heard right Cap! We cast or fates to the dart and let it do the choosing! And it chose Rome!” Pinkie exclaimed as she hopped around the crew her energy as high as ever.

The captain chuckled as he watched her antics. “The ancient ritual of Travelling Darts…? An excellent decision making device Miss Sparkle.” He mused as the magic user hopped off the platform and onto the deck.

“Thank you, my mentor gave me her approval as well. She and her sister will be staying in today by the way.” She explained as she watched the others come onto the ship and the stairs be retracted into the ship once more.

“The Princess is here on the island…? I thought she had royal duties to attend to…?” Vents asked looking down at her confused.

Twilight shrugged. “She told me she put the throne in capable hands while she was away… I didn’t want to ask too many questions.” She explained glancing out at the ocean.

Back in Canterlot at that exact moment:

Cadance sat on the throne her eyes rolling to the back of her head in boredom. She’d been forced out of her bed at six AM to fill in for her aunt who had mysteriously vanished last night with little more than a note to her leaving her in charge until she got back. Now she had been listening to these nobles drone on for three hours straight and her barely-out-of-adolescence- mind was dying from sheer boredom. Her royal advisor, an aging old chap by the name of Samuel Stenson that she just called Sammy, nudged her awake for the third time that morning.

“Madam… are you sure you don’t want to call off court today…? I’m sure the populace wouldn’t mind if-“ his whisper was cut off by his princess shaking her head.

“I’m fine Sammy… I just need to get through this guy and then I can go on a coffee break.” She whispered back. Samuel sighed but resumed his rigid posture as the noble droned on.

“And so your highness, if you’ll look at my charts here it’ll show you that if we tax the people on their marriage licenses and the number of children they have we could significantly increase our treasury by-“

“Whoa, hold on a second there. Correct me if I’m wrong but did I just hear you say you want to tax people on things like marriage and children…?” the young princess asked sitting up in her throne suddenly alert.

“I know, it’s an ingenious plan right? This country is full loving people, by my calculations the amount of love in Equestria is almost triple what it is in any other nation in the world…! If we were to tax them on such a thing we could make-!”

“Do you know who I am…?” she asked her facial features rigid.

The noble stopped in his tracks and looked at her confused. “W-Why you’re Princess Mi Amore Cadedenza your grace… niece to Celestia and Luna High Princesses of Eque-“

“No, you misunderstand the question. Do you know who I am...? Not my name but my title beyond just a princess.” She asked the noble as she stood from her throne and strode down the marble steps towards the man. He started to stutter a little as she did so. “I’m the first Alicorn ever naturally born from just an ordinary human, I’m the girl who sacrificed countless hours volunteering at orphanages all across the nation, who attends every single wedding ceremony I can, who personally fought for my aunt to pass all those marriage equality laws when I was only SIX, I’m the only Princess in the entire history of this nation to ever possess magic that can mend broken hearts and bring people closer than anyone ever thought possible, and do you know [iwhy] that is sir…?” She asked now glaring him down her pink and purple lined wings spread out wide behind her.

“Uh-um… no…?” He offered in return his neck retreating into his high collared shirt like a turtle would a shell.

She picked him up by his shirt and held him high in the air. “Because I’m the Mother Fucking Goddess of Love, and you, you money pinching, black hearted ass hole, just tried to get me to TAX people for their love… do you know what I do to people who try to mooch off the love of others…?” she asked her lavender eyes glaring into his pitiful soul.

“Uhhhhh, give them their due credit for having a brilliant idea that will make you rich by the end of the day…?” he offered. Cadance’s face deadpanned at his response.

If one were to be looking up at the castle at that point they would have seen a man being thrown from the courtroom window screaming like a little girl as he was launched not only out of Canterlot but Equestria itself.

Cadance hovered in front of the shattered stained glass window for a few more moments panting with rage before she landed and spoke without turning back to face her advisor. “Sammy… call off court for the day and send the remaining protestors home.” She ordered as she calmly walked towards the doors of the throne room.

“Y-yes milady… But… what will you be doing today instead of court…?” He asked still a little shaken from her sudden outburst.

“Talking to an old friend about getting these pathetic Noblemen to pull their heads out of their asses and shape up. I don’t know how Aunty did things before but starting today, I’m the head Bitch in charge and I’m not going to tolerate their bullshit anymore.” Cadance growled her eyes like burning suns of passion as she spoke. She walked out and slammed the door behind her. From the hall greetings could be heard as the noblemen all waiting in line greeted the princess in turn. There were soon bright flashes of pink light and quickly Samuel rushed to throw open the door only to find the once stoic faced nobles fawning over each other or making rather grotesque noises as they tackled one another in rushed passion.

“Oh my dear sweet Faust… the day of doom has come… Guards! Get me in contact with the headmaster of Buckingham University…! Tell him I need him to send one of his students here post haste…!” he ordered a golden armored man standing watch at the door. He saluted and ran off to do it but then turned around quickly.

“Sir! What’s is the name of the student you wish to bring to the palace…?”

“Shining Armor Sparkle, captain of the ROTC there and boyfriend to our beloved rampaging Love Goddess…”

***

Back on the ship:

Pinkie as standing in the crow’s-nest of the ship her eyes narrowed on her target as he walked back and forth on the deck doing checks on the equipment as they got ready to set sail. Hey eyes still glowed fiercely with the enlightenment she had gained the day before.

‘I’ll drop the balloon and he’ll dodge it by stepping to the side, right into the pulley rope trap I’ve laid for him, but he’ll use his magic to make it falsely snap shut and whip upwards into the air with too much force, the rope will then come all the way up to me where I will use it to tie this sack of flour and then let it fall back to the ground just as he walks away thinking he’s escaped from me… It’s perfect.’ She ranted as she watched Riptide walk towards the mast to secure a loose rope she had baited. She dropped the balloon and set her plan in motion. Just as she predicted he side stepped and quickly activated his magic the rope trap slipping straight through him like he was a ghost, when the rope came all the way up to her face she tied the flour bag to it in an instant and it went tumbling back down to him arching perfectly and heading straight for him. Pinkie bounced a little squealing in joy when it impacted him sending flour spraying in every direction. “I did it!!!! I pranked the unprankable!!!” she cheered as she leapt down from the mast gliding along the length of a rope until she hung upside down in front of what was supposed to be Riptide.

Pinkie waited for the flour to settle and found with a jolting shock that Riptide had been replaced with a smiling scarecrow with a troll face painted on it. A voice behind her made her jump off the rope and land face first into the flour residue. “Problem Pinkie…?” Riptide mused.

Pinkie looked up her face and hair now as pale as the moon from the flour as she fluttered her eyes open and sent a charged glare back at him. “This isn’t over Rippy… I WILL surprise you by the end of today! I Pinkie Pie Swear it…!” She ranted as Riptide chuckled and walked towards the stairs that descended into the ship.

“Many have tried Pinkie, and all have failed. They don’t call me the Cheshire Cat of the sea for nothing you know.” He mused as he stopped before the stairs and turned back to face her a grin plastered on his face before he disappeared in a blue smoke leaving only the grin behind to mock her.

“Oh, It. Is. ON!!” Pinkie declared exploding into confetti herself.

Own in the ship’s underwater observation room Fluttershy was sitting in a chair watching the sea life swim past her. The colorful reefs that lined the sea floor were clearly visible through the solid glass wall and floor. Twilight was beside her both of them listing off the scientific names of the creatures that swam past and inquiring each other about the ones they didn’t know. Together they could identify almost all of the aquatic life that was native on the island. Fluttershy gasped and quickly tugged on Twilight’s sleeve to get her attention. Twilight gasped when she saw it.

“Dermochelys coriacea! The highly endangered Leatherback Sea Turtle! It’s migration patterns don’t put it here this time of year… what on earth has it so far from the stray…?” Twilight wondered aloud watching the large turtle casually swim by towards a large grouping of large umbrella shaped blue Jellyfish.

Fluttershy gasped a little. “The Box Jellyfish… I guess since they live here it must have attracted a small group of turtles… That and the climate here is quite tropical for most of the year so I can imagine it’s quite ideal for the turtles too…” Fluttershy reasoned as she watched the turtle quickly rush to the Jellyfish and bite into it. Fluttershy winced a little but Twilight was just watching as she furiously scribbled down her observations in her notepad.

“This is great! We’ll have to come out here tomorrow so we can study them some more. I wonder what other odd creatures come here to stay… Oh! Look Fluttershy! Out there in the distance! Twilight shouted pointing out to where the ocean dropped into deeper colder waters. Fluttershy gasped quickly putting her hand over her mouth.

“Cephalorhynchus hectori… Hector’s Dolphin Twilight! I thought they were strictly native to New Zealand…?!” she exclaimed quickly rushing towards the glass her wings spread in excitement. “How on earth did a pod of them get all the way up here?!” she asked as she watched the grouping of six or so dolphins heard a school of fish together and expertly snap up mouthfuls each until the school was gone, they then seemed to notice the boat and the curious faces that watched them. They swam up and inspected Fluttershy's ’ace curiously. “Oh… um… hello sea friends… What are you doing all the way out here…?” she inquired as if the dolphins could A. hear her and B. understand her. To Twilight’s great surprise a few of the dolphins gave a chorus of clicks in response to her question. “Oh really…? That’s amazing… three generations? And you haven’t had any hunting issues…? That’s wonderful… Oh um, I’ll see you later. It looks like our ship is going to sail. You’d better all get out of the way. I wouldn’t want any of you hurt.” She warned. The dolphins all gave and echo of clicks again waving flippers in goodbye as they swam off in search of another school of fish. Fluttershy waved goodbye as well smiling as she did so.

Behind her Twilight stood jaw agape and her eyes widened in disbelief. “F-Fluttershy…? H-how did you communicate with those dolphins…? That glass is a foot thick and highly enchanted, they shouldn’t even be able to HEAR you…! Yet we could hear them very clearly…” she observed rubbing her chin.

Fluttershy retracted a little blushing as she hid behind her hair and twiddled her thumbs together. “Oh… well um… my talent is communicating with animals just as much as it is taking care of them… I don’t even really need to be able to speak to them, they seem to pick up on my emotions just as easily I do there’s… So um… it’s… really difficult to explain.” She stated her voice getting quieter and quieter as she spoke. Twilight scribbled down something in her note pad and ushered Fluttershy towards a couch that sat in the center of the room.

“So… tell me more about this talent of yours… Does it work on more advanced creatures as well like the Hippocampi or the Hippogriff’s that are both native to the Everfree…?”

“Oh… um well yes, it does… I’ve actually made friends with a really nice Hippogriff named Buckbeak…”

***

Applejack was sitting in one of the many reclined chairs that lined the deck when she felt the ship lurch and start to move forward. She lowered her hat down to shade her eyes as she lay back in the chair ready to spend the trip in solitude with a little cat nap in the sun. That is until a certain purple haired white dressed magic user came to sit in the lounge chair beside her.

“Is this seat taken…?” Rarity asked with a small giggle. Applejack couldn’t hide the small smile that formed at the edge of her lips as she motioned towards it.

“Nope… take as many as you want and play musical chairs with Pinkie for all I care.” She chuckled as she kept her eyes closed under the shade of her hat.

“Mmm, as fun as that sounds I think Pinkie is preoccupied with that deckhand Riptide at the moment… I think the poor girl is infatuated with him.” Rarity mused as she leaned back in her chair her white sun hat being set to the side as she dawned a pair of bedazzled sunglasses. Pinkie Pie popped out of a grated drain on the deck beside them and made a face.

“That’s just all kinds of wrongy wongy Rarity…! He’s like six years older than me or something! Not to mention fraternizing with the enemy is a big No-No in war…!” Pinkie protested. Rarity lowered her sunglasses at the girl.

“Pinkie dear, do you even know what fraternizing means…?” she inquired.

“Nope! And I don’t care!” she announced happily before disappearing into the drain the grate shutting behind her. Rarity sighed shaking her head a little.

“Our friends are the oddest sort…” She sighed as she leaned back in the chair intent on absorbing some sun rays, although she didn’t know if it would work since her skin was still reflective like a beautiful sparkling diamond. Applejack just lazily hummed in response as she felt herself starting to drift off under the sun’s warmth and the light breeze caused by the ship’s movement. Rarity glance sideways and noticed one of her freckle patterns taking the form of a solar panel and pointing towards the sun with a small battery next to it that signified she was charging. The sight made her giggle and for Applejack to lazily open a single emerald eye to glance at her.

“Somethin’ on mah face Rare…?” she asked.

“Oh yes, just that little bit of magic working in your favor and putting on a little show for me.” She mused watching as the freckles formed a hand and waved at her. She giggled and found herself waving back. Applejack had an eyebrow raised as she brought a hand to her cheek.

“An’ here Ah am still hoping Ah outgrow these things… You know they’ve been poppin’ up more and more every year…? Ah swear Ah’m gonna just be one big freckle by the time Ah’m thirty.” She grumbled. The freckles made a frowny face and then converged on her upper lip and chin making it look like she had a stunning and manly goatee. Rarity couldn’t help herself and snorted a little at that before she caught herself and reduced the outburst to a giggle. Applejack sat up at that. “What…?! What’re they doin’ now…?!” she asked patting her face like she was trying to feel for them. “An… And wait did you just snort like a hog…?” she asked tilting her hat up to show her disbelief. Rarity’s face tinted red as she quickly picked up her sunhat and set it on her head tilting it to hide her own face.

“No…!” she sputtered defensively. “I-I simply had a tickle in my throat is all, and it got caught in my nasal passages.” She explained hurriedly.

It was Applejack’s turn to grin now. “Sooooo, ya snorted like a pig then…?” she repeated. Rarity gave her a sharp glare.

“I would appreciate it ABIGAIL, if you did not compare any noise I make to swine.” She grunted folding her arms and turning away a little her face still pretty much glowing red.

“Why…? Ah think the little hoggers are cute. ‘specially when they’re real little.” Applejack lamented staring out at the sea.

“Well pardon me for not being thrilled about being compared to something that rolls in mud all day long and eats like… well a pig.” Applejack’s eyes slanted towards her.

“Ah roll in the mud for fun and eat like Ah pig Rare, but you got used ta me didn’t ya…?” she asked her green eyes like daggers on Rarity’s face.

“Ah…! Well, yes… but you know it took months of countless bickering and un lady like spats for me to even warm up to you. And that was just fifth grade. It got worse when we got older. Do you remember in middle school when we were in PE and you got mud on my shorts…?”

Applejacks face deadpanned. “We were running an obstacle course… right after it rained. And you were wearin’ all white Rare. If Ah hadn’t covered ya in the stuff it’ve been all over ya anyways. Ya didn’t have to slap me so hard ya dislocated mah neck.” She reminded the other girl.

“Yes well, my point being that it took years for me to even be able to speak to you without wanting to drag you into the spa to have every inch of you scrubbed and polished. Even now I still have to hold back the urge to do something with that hair of yours…” she muttered glancing off to this side.

“Are you sayin’ there’s somethin’ wrong with mah hair…?” Applejack asked defensively as she grabbed her ponytail that was held together with her favorite red band.

“No…! Well, yes, but it’s not important.” Rarity sighed as she ran a hand through her hair in her frustration. “I’m just saying we’ve come a long way from wanting to kill each other.” She explained with a sigh. Applejack visibly relaxed but couldn’t help but make one last remark.

“Yeah well, Ah’ve got one fading concussion and a few splinters still in mah hair that say we still have our moments.” She reminded the girl with a small chuckle. “Given Ah still think Ah deserved it so it ain’t really a big issue for me.”

“Mmm, and there’s something we have in common, neither one of us is all too good at keeping secrets. Of course I am very well versed in acting so I can play off how terrible I am at lying, but you’re about as honest as they come.” Rarity giggled. “You could say you wear your heart on your sleeve Applejack.” As if to emphasize her point the freckles pooled down to her exposed arm and formed into a beating heart, seconds later an arrow shot through it and a scroll unrolled from it with fancy script starting to form on it. Applejack noticed the first letter of it and quickly pulled the sleeve of her shirt down to cover it.

“W-what makes you think AH’M not just pretendin ta be so easy ta read…?” she asked as Rarity swore she saw a little tint of color form on her tanned cheeks, which looked rather odd now with the absence of her freckles.

“Because Applejack, you’re about a good of an actor as you are a liar. Which is why to this day you still refuse to play a game of Truth or Dare with me.” Rarity noted with a bright smile crossing her features. Applejack WAS turning as bright red as an apple now.

“H-hey…! Ah KNOW we agreed not ta speak of that little escapade…! That sleepover went about as well Ah imagined it would but you STILL made me do it…!” Applejack huffed. Rarity was laughing now.

“Oh admit it, even if it was a disaster you, me, and Twilight had a blast!” she countered. Applejack huffed as she lay back down in the chair and she pulled her hat completely over her face signaling the conversation was over. But Rarity Belle was not one to give up so easily.

“Appljaaaaaack, oh come now darling, it wasn’t THAT bad…” She mused poking the girl in her ribs playfully.

“Ya made me dress up in a ball gown that would have made PINKIE PIE look ridiculous, ya spent three hours tryin’ ta make the bed sheets perfect, and we almost got concussions from that pillow fight…! What part of that night wasn’t ‘So Bad’” she asked making mocking quotes in the air as she did so. Rarity thought for a moment before she set her own hat down and picked the hat off Applejacks face and set it on her own head as she leaned over her still smiling.

“The part where despite our differences we managed to have a good time and make Twilight’s very first slumber party a good one.” She replied simply. From the open shirt and just above her deep red tank top Rarity saw the freckles form into a beating heart again but this time she could see the initials ‘RB&AJA’ scrawled across it in a fancier script. AJ’s face was turning the same color as her shirt now and she quickly sat up avoiding Rarity’s face as she swung her legs over the side of the chair and quickly reclaimed her hat before looking around a little nervously.

“Well uh… that’s mighty fine of you Rare but Ah think I hear RD calling my name…” she lied quickly biting her lip after she did so. Rarity’s face frowned as she lowered her sunglasses to look Applejack full on in the eye.

“I don’t hear any-“

“HEY! HAY SEED! GET UP HERE FAST! I’M GONNA BE RACING CRASHER AND WE NEED A REF…!!!” Rainbow announced from the loud speakers.

‘Celestia Bless that gal…’ “Ah’m coming, keep your shirt on Yeesh…! Hear her now Dolly…?” Applejack asked smartly as she turned on heel and ran towards the upper deck. Rarity only glared at her as she ran off.

‘Oh ho ho Applejack… You of course realize that this means war.’

Speaking of War…

Riptide hummed as he was listening to his iPod and mopping the hallway swinging his hips a little and using the mop as an impromptu mic when it came to a good part in the song. Two gleaming blue eyes watched this from the air vent at the end of the hall.

‘He’ll back into that trip wire I have laying in wait, when he falls he’ll try to catch himself but slip on the oil I put on the floor. When he hits the floor he’ll release the whoopee cushion I have under the exact tile he’ll fall onto. The whoopee cushion will fall and set off the spring board contraption I set up in the boiler room, it’ll then activate the switch that will automatically pump laughing gas into the vents above his head where he will then be forced into a fit of laughter and give me the title of master prankster… it’s fool proof!’ She thought in her mind. She watched carefully as he fell back against the wire just like she had predicted, slipped on the oiled floor when he tried to catch himself, his chest activating the pressured tile and setting her contraption into motion. He got up slowly rising looking around as he tried to wipe the oil off his chest. Pinkie waited grinning as she waited for the gas to start pouring in and for him to be put into a fit of giggles. As she was focused on him waiting for the remainder of the plan to work out her nose started to itch. She wiggled it since the vent was pretty small and she could barely move yet alone scratch her nose, and then she sniffed a little. ‘Huh… that smells funny… hehe… smells funny… actually it smells like… oh no.’ She found herself starting to giggle and then it went out of control into hysteric laughter as she tried to force open the grate.

From down the hall Riptide smirked as he walked over to the grate and brought a handkerchief out from his pocket and put it over his mouth and nose as he unlatched the grate And Pinkie Pie came tumbling out snorting in her gas induced laughter. “How did you… know that I… was going to… gas you?!” she asked in between her fits of laughter. He grinned down at her his silvery eyes glinting as he did so.

“I saw you dragging the canister down to the boiler room, when you were done setting it up I moved the hose to the vent I saw you crawl into.” He replied simply as he stepped over her. “Now if you’ll excuse me Miss Pie, I have a ship to maintain.” He chuckled before he disappeared again leaving behind that grin of his as the fog dissipated.

‘Curse you Riptide… I swear upon Loki himself that I WILL prank you today…!’ She thought as her body was over taken in laughter. She crawled towards her next plan of action with a determined look in her eyes.

Meanwhile back with Rainbow Dash:

Fluttershy had come up from the observation room when she had heard about the race on the loud speaker, she now stood by the railing watching as Rainbow Dash and Wave Crasher were stretching on the top deck in preparation for the race. Applejack was standing on the side of the open deck with a checkered flag in her hand.

“You go Dash, woo hoo…!” Fluttershy cheered. She got a grin from her friend and a big thumbs up as well.

“Alright ya’ll here’s the deal. You’re gonna race out to that rock formation in the distance and do a U-turn and the first one to make it back to this here boat is the winner, sound fair…?” she asked. Rainbow glanced out at the rock formation that looked to be at least three miles out. She grinned and nodded.

“Oh yeah, easy. Sound good to you Aussie…?” she asked the white haired man. His bright blue eyes went out and scanned the ocean his wings stretched out and flexed.

“I’ve done longer runs in my sleep Sheila, you’re about to see just why they call me the White Bullet, I’ll be tearing past you so fast your hair dye will fall out and stain the water.” He laughed as he crouched into position.

“Oh you’re in for a world of hurtin’ big guy.” AJ muttered as she held up the flag and Rainbow did nothing more than crouch into position a grin plastered on her face. “On your marks… get set… GO!” She called as she grabbed onto the railing and waved the flag. Both of them took off at break neck paces, tearing a V shape through the water as they went. Rainbow held back as they first took off, narrowly avoiding the rock’s surface as she maneuvered around it and then bulleted straight towards the ship. Wave Crasher, who had gotten a pretty good lead on her to start with almost spun out of control when she sped past him trailing a rainbow right behind her as she went. She glanced back at him grinning and gave him a two finger salute before she sped towards the boat wings pounding. He didn’t hesitate and sped after her. But he was already a day late and a dollar short on that one. Rainbow Dash stood where she had skidded to a halting stop and grinned at him as he came in to stop. He bent over panting and she patted his head.

“Don’t worry big guy, the only people who can compete with me back home are the Wonderbolts themselves. So you shouldn’t hold it against yourself. Oh, and it isn’t dyed by the way, my hair is 100% naturally this awesome.” She chuckled as she flipped her shoulder length hair back a little and walked off to where Fluttershy was fluttering up to meet her on the top level. “Hey Flutters, see me whoop the Aussie’s can back down under…?” she asked the shier girl. Fluttershy nodded smiling at her.

“You did great Rainbow, just like at your Junior Speedster competitions…!” she praised with her radiant smile warming Dash’s heart and cheeks. Dash brushed off the blush by hovering a little in the air and grinning as she thumped a fist to her chest.

“Yeah well, it isn’t easy being this awesome but some one’s gotta do it and that someone is me!” she bragged spreading her wings a little to show off some more. Behind her Sea Song was punching the white haired pegasus in the arm.

“Hey, don’t let a little somethin’ like this get ya down Aussie, tell ya what, drinks are on me tonight. You may even get a song out of me if I chug back one too many.” The Boston native offered trying to urge his chin back up from the slump it seemed to have.

“Yeah… will ya sing the one by that Gaga gal again…? She seemed like a right out blast when I heard ya sing ‘er last time.” He asked as he brought his chin back up enough to look her in the eye.

“Yeah, yeah, we’ll see. Ya know I don’t take requests. I just sing what I feel like. And often enough it isn’t dat Gaga gal.” She reminded him as they walked back towards the captain’s cabin.

Applejack chuckled as she turned towards the railing that lead down to the main deck and hopped it. She held down her hat as she fell and shut her eyes when she felt the ground rushing towards her. She landed with a thud and tilted her hat slightly when she felt the sun enter he eyes. When she stood fully and righted herself she came nose to forehead with a certain well-dressed magic user.

“So, as I was saying before you ran off with your tail between your legs…”

But Applejack had already maneuvered around her and was quickly rushing towards the nearby hatch. “S-sorry Rare! No time to talk! Gotta go make sure Pinkie isn’t trying to blow up the ship!” she called over her shoulder before she quickly disappeared behind the door. If one would have been staring at Rarity they would have seen her diamond skin darken as her sapphire magic surrounded her body and made tendrils of her hair float up in in imitation of Medusa.

“ABIGAIL JACQUELINE APPLE YOU GET YOUR TANNED HIDE BACK HERE BEFORE I CHASE YOU DOWN AND HUNT YOU LIKE THE COWARD YOU ARE!!!!” She roared as she ran towards the door and ripped it from its hinges bolting after the earthbound who already had a pretty decent head start. From up on the top deck Rainbow watched and whistled a little staring at the solid metal door that had been partially bent by Rarity when she was ripping it off its hinges.

“I’d seriously hate to be her right now… Wonder what she did to tick her off this time.” Rainbow chuckled as she leaned on the railing and let the wind rush through her hair. Fluttershy quietly stood beside her watching her out of the corner of her eye.

‘She looks so content now… like she always does after she wins a race. She seems so much calmer and relaxed than she has in months… and I’m not scared anymore because of that. I feel… peaceful almost. It’s… nice.’ Fluttershy thought as she turned her attention back out to the calm sea before them.

Rainbow was in a pretty similar state of mind as she watched Fluttershy in her peripheral vision. ‘Wow… I haven’t seen ‘Shy this open in months… I wonder if it’s just being out here that makes her calm. It is kinda pretty. Not as pretty as h- NO! Stop that. Shy isn’t like that. And she thinks of me like a sister… how creepy would it be if Ivy confessed to her? Well she’s kind of already married, and to a Wonderbolt none the less so that’s about as likely as flying pigs in frozen hell. But still… she’s my best friend. I don’t want to ruin that just because I have some stupid crush on her. I’ll grit my teeth and bear it if it means keeping her happy.’ She thought a look of cold determination on her face. ‘. . . so then why does it feel so empty when I say that…?’ she asked lowering her head just a little when her eyes glazed over.

Fluttershy, ever the empathetic one sensed Rainbow’s shifting mood even without the bracelet that they had all left at the house. She reached out and gently touched Rainbow’s shoulder. She felt the girl retract a little and her suspicions were confirmed. “Rainbow, what’s wrong…? I thought you’d be happy you won the race.” She questioned her hand not leaving Rainbow’s shoulder. But the contact was broken, gently, by Rainbow taking her hand and lowering it from her shoulder.

“I’m fine ‘Shy, racing just always reminds me of my first race, or actually reason FOR the first race.” Unlike her friend Rainbow was a skilled liar and often used it to deflect Fluttershy’s suspicions and worries.

“Oh… it’s okay Rainbow, those bullies are back in Cloudsdale now. And they didn’t ever really bother me after that anyways. You know that.” She urged with a comforting smile on her face. Rainbow smiled back a little and scratched the back of her head.

“Yeah I know Flutters, no need to worry. ‘sides, if anyone was pickin’ on ya you’d tell me right?” she asked patting Fluttershy’s shoulder almost a little too hard. Fluttershy smiled also pretty good at lying, to herself and others.

“Of course Rainbow. Everyone was much too intimidated by you to try…” ‘Except for Gilda every day in flight camp, everyone in my gym classes, half the student body when I had those silly braces…’ she listed to herself. She mentally slapped herself out of it before she could start to show her true emotions and smiled at Dash in return.

Rainbow grinned flexing her wings a little as she hovered up from the deck. “Of course they were! Picking on my friends is like picking on me, and seriously, who’s dumb enough to mess with someone this freaking awesome…?” she asked grinning and flexing her arms a little in a muscle man fashion that made Fluttershy giggle.

“No one Dashie, now come down here before the sea winds pick you up in a stray thermal.” Fluttershy urged. Rainbow scoffed and rolled her eyes.

“I think I’d be able to tell if there was a thermal this low to the ground Flutters. My feathers would be going nuts if-“ she was interrupted by both cyan and yellow feathers puffing up in response to a shift in the air currents. Her tail drooped a little and her ears folded back in annoyance. “Oh for the love of FUUUUUUUUUUUUU-!!!!!!!!!!” She shouted as the heated air caught her wings and carried her sky high in a matter of seconds. Fluttershy squeaked as she watched Rainbow be carried a couple hundred feet into the air.

“Oh no…” she muttered watching her friend go further and further up. Her wings itched to be opened and ride the thermal too but she held them back knowing she would probably faint half way up and crash back into the sea. “Come on Rainbow… steady it out and dive…” she muttered as she watched the cyan speck fight for control in the air.

Rainbow rode the thermal until she was almost three thousand feet into the air and the cold air finally over powered it making it die out and for her to spread her wings in a gliding pattern to stay aloft at the altitude. She sighed in relief. Any higher and she would have needed an oxygen mask. She looked back down at the now speck of a ship and an idea came to her. ‘Well, while up here I might as well try out that new trick I thought up last night. She reached around her neck for her goggles which she always carried around her neck just in case and pulled them up to cover her eyes. She then folded her wings to her back and went into a nose dive for the blue waters below. When she came to cloud level she started to corkscrew herself causing the clouds to form around her in a cyclone as she spun and spun round and around. It had taken years of doing this for her not to get sick from the motion. From the ship the crew and remaining friends had come up when they heard that Rainbow had been taken up by a thermal and were now watching as a spinning cyclone was rushing down to the blue sea with Rainbow in its lead. Just before she would have hit the water she spread her wings and leveled out against it letting the whirlwind of cloud hit the water and temporarily suck it up as she sped towards the ship tall sprays of water breaking behind her as she jetted just over the water’s surface. When she came to a halt just above the top deck she grinned flaring out her wings as breaks and behind her the cyclone fell apart leaving the water in a perfect standing spiral for just a second before gravity took it and it fell back into the ocean with a sounding splash. The spray that followed her reflected off the sun and created literally hundreds of rainbows behind her. She turned around to see her end product and grinned as she removed her goggles.

“Wow, that turned out WAY better than I thought it would. Sweet.” She laughed as the prismatic spectacles faded away with the evaporating mist. Her friends all applauded her for her show as did the crew and she jumped a little before grinning and taking a few bows as she lowered herself back down to the deck. “Thank you, thank you, I know I’m awesome. I’ll be here all week.” She announced as she struck a few poses like she was in front of paparazzi. She was tackled from behind by what she originally thought was Pinkie but when she heard the nurturing yet scolding tone of Fluttershy start to lecture her.

“Rainbow Elizabeth Francis Dashington don’t you EVER scare me like that again! You KNOW the ocean has random thermals and how powerful they can be! And then you ride one up past cloud levels and pull a stunt like that?! You could have DIED trying to make that cyclone work! Or you could have misjudged the distance between you and the water and crashed into it full force! You’d be little more than a couple of floating feathers and shark food at that point…!” she roared as tears of frustration and worry rolled down her face as she glared down at the girl beneath her with all the fury of Mt. Vesuvius itself burning in her eyes. Rainbow retracted under her stare that was known to make a rampaging dragon whimper in fright. It was a trait passed down from her ancestors and she wielded it well.

Rainbow however had the iron guts of her own ancestors to counteract it and after a rather large swallow of fear she stared back at her friend calmly. “But I DIDN’T die, and I DIDN’T misjudge the distance, and as you can see I’m not chum. So chill Flutters, I’m fine.” She countered staring straight back into the raging pools of sea green like a trained warrior staring death in the eyes. Slowly the rage simmered down from them and was replaced with a look of calculated worry instead. Her friends and the crew all watched the scene with growing worry for the pair as Fluttershy’s hold on the pinned athlete lessened and she slowly slid off of her letting her up. Dash shook herself out and rubbed her shoulder which had been jarred against the hard wooden deck when Fluttershy had barreled into her.

“I-I’m sorry Dashie… I was just really worried about you a-and…” Fluttershy’s bubbled whimper was cut off by Rainbow quickly using the tip of her wing to tilt Fluttershy’s chin up to meet the smile of her best friend.

“Hey, stop with the tears already ‘Shy, you know I can’t stand to see your cry.” She chuckled before she stopped and a look of horror crossed her face. “Oh dear sweet Celestia I just rhymed like your weird Herbology teacher…” she muttered in horror. Fluttershy giggled at that and at the noise Rainbow’s features softened and she retracted her wing back to her side and took the time to notice her feathers were now in a startling disarray. “Aw man… I just preened these things this morning too…! Ugh…” she frowned as she marched off to find a bathroom so she could fix them and with the scene officially broken up a few things happened at once, firstly that Pinkie and Rarity both noticed the objects of their respective inner battles was standing beside them, secondly both said targets realized this and disappeared in their own ways before their hunters could capture them, and lastly a battle cry was sounded from each of the girls before they went after their prey.

Twilight watched the scene a smile of amusement crossing her face as she fluttered her fairy like wings and hovered back to the peaceful sanctuary of the observation room. Fluttershy tilted her head in confusion at the scene before she gave up on trying to figure it out and joined Twilight in the glass room to continue their discussion from earlier.

***

Two hours and many failed attempts later:

Pinkie stood panting at one end of the deck her entire body covered in paint, her hair filled with many different random objects and in complete disarray, her clothes slightly torn and singed as well, and missing a few teeth as she grinned at the girl his pitch black hair perfectly combed and neat, as was the rest of his person; the complete opposite of the desperate and slightly insane girl before him. His smile never faltered as he watched her stand rubber chicken in hand and an oversized water gun loaded with Hell knows what aimed at him with her finger on the trigger.

“What’s the matter Miss Pie…? Getting a little bit desperate in your attempts now that we’re only ten minutes away from the fair city of Rome…?” he mused challenging the obviously crazy earthbound even further.

“Don’t make me do this Rippy! This gun is loaded with stuff that makes steroids look like candy…! One blast and your body could implode from the reaction!” she shouted across to him. He cocked an eyebrow at her.

“Is that the infusion you and Miss Dash made of those energy drinks with your own addition of antimatter…?” he asked his grin not faltering.

Pinkie dropped the chicken and brought her hand up to assist her shaking one in holding the squirt gun properly. “So what if it is?! You’ve forced my hand meanie face! I can’t break a Pinkie Swear! A Pinkie Promise is bad enough, but breaking a Pinkie swear could cause an interdimensional disaster and I’m already on probation for my last one! The big guys won’t let me keep my status if I mess up again!” she shouted back at him. He didn’t stop grinning and instead started to walk towards her casually.

From on top of the deck Dash was eating a bowl of rainbow sherbet out of a bowl with Sea Song and Wave Crasher on either side of her watching the scene play out. “What the hell are those two yelling about now…?” She asked aloud as she stuck another spoonful into her mouth. Sea song shrugged.

“Hell iffa I know. Dat Riptide is a few nuts short of bein’ squirrelly if ya catch mah drift.” She replied closing her pink eyes and shaking her head with a sigh.

"What she said mate, he makes about sense as wallaby tango’n with a rattler.” Wave Crasher added messing with the golden ring he had in his right ear.

“Huh… maybe those two ARE perfect for each other then…” she chuckled continuing to watch as Riptide approached the shaking girl and put his hand on the gun forcing her to lower it as he whispered something in her ear. Her blue eyes widened in shock and the gun seemed to fall from her hand in slow motion. She backed away from him in shock shaking her head.

“N-no… that’s… impossible! You can’t…! PROVE IT!” She shouted back at him as she pulled out another rubber chicken from her hair and pointed it at him cocking it like a gun. He reached forward and touched the chicken she held, it floated out of her grip and unleashed a powerful spray of chocolate milk that doused her and reduced her normally poofy hair to cascading waves and caused all the items in it to fall out and land around her feet. He chuckled and then snapped his fingers, the items that surrounded her levitated off the ground in his deep blue magic and popped away one by one. Pinkie’s broken and desperate appearance was righted as she was surrounded in a small whirl of his magic and was cleaned, dried, and all around returned to her normal Pinkie state as a slow beaming smile took over her shocked features. “It’struIt’strueIt’strue!!!!!!” she sang as she bounced around him in a happy circle and he just chuckled watching her do so. Rainbow and the other two just looked lost now.

“Yes, Yes Pinkie, now you can let the swear go now that you know my circumstances. I promise you won’t be penalized because of it.” He chuckled as the energetic girl spun around him in a blur. She halted mid air and then slowly started to shake her head a smile staying on her face.

“Ohhhhhh no you don’t Rippy, you aren’t getting out of it that easy! This just makes me wanna do it even MORE than before!” she exclaimed. For the first time he dropped his smile and looked honestly surprised for a split second.

“Seriously?! Even though you can’t you’d try anyways?!” he asked his silver eyes wide with disbelief. Pinkie grinned like a shark as she jumped up on his shoulders and bent over so that she was upside down grinning at him.

“Mhm~! It’ll be loads of fun and I’ve got the entire week to try! Who knows, I may even get it done today!” she giggled before she flipped off him and they both heard the ship’s horn sound signaling that they were docking. “Ooooooh~! Looks like we’re here, I’ll see you later Rippy! I have an entire city to entertain!” she mused as she pulled out her favorite pair of disguise glasses and a noise maker that she blew into before darting off in a pink blur. Riptide stared at where she had run off to before he sighed and shook his head smiling.

“I see why the others tried to warn me about her… she’s definitely a far cry from normal…” he chuckled at himself a little. “But then of course, being normal is highly overrated.” He chuckled before he felt a pressure on his shoulder and noticed first mate Brise leaning on his shoulder.

“I see you found a friend that makes about as much sense as you do Riptide.” She chuckled tipping her hair a little.

“Ah, but you forget my favorite phrase Brise, after all, what fun is there in making sense…?” he asked with a small glance sideways as a toothy grin crossed his face before he faded away in his usual manner leaving behind the grin and a set of eyes that glowed yellow and red once before winking and vanishing like the rest of him.

***

After exiting the ship and taking a limo ride into the city proper the six girls found themselves standing in the Trevi Fountain square staring in awe at the work of art before them. Even Pinkie had halted midair party favor’s frozen in place just like her body as she watched the sparkling waters cascade out of the gorgeous fountain’s perfectly sculpted features.

“Trevi Fountain, this unique statue has an ancient history. Its origins go back to Roman times and it was the terminal point of the Aqua Virgo aqueduct commissioned by Augustus, which was used to provide water for the thermal baths. The water that flows here has two names: Virgin Waters and Trevi. The first refers to an ancient legend about a young Roman girl who showed the source of the spring to some thirsty soldiers; whereas Trevi derives from the old name for the area, which was originally called Trebium. The aqueduct continued to function, even though it was necessary to wait until the eighteenth century when Pope Clement XII decided to restore the Trevi district and began work on the fountain we know today. It took three centuries to complete and is often attributed to Bernini, but for the most part it is the work of the Roman architect, Nicola Salvi, who took twenty years to complete it… In other words it’s the heart of Rome itself and probably the world’s most famous fountain.” Twilight explained as she broke out of her stupor. When her friends gave her a few looks she blushed a little and pulled a thick book from her bag. “I uh, might have read up a little on the big sights here in Rome while we were on the ship…” she explained scratching her cheek slightly as she did so.

The others all made little nods and Pinkie decided to respect gravity once again and land on her feet as she slid the part favors and her disguise glasses back into her bag. “So Twiley, where are we going first?!” she asked bouncing around the magic user. Twilight gave a tap of her chin before she opened the book using her magic and flipped through her book. “Well, I’d love to visit the Vatican Museum…” she offered. Pinkie beamed and zipped off before zipping straight back to her.

“Annnnnnd where was that again…?” she asked with a small nervous giggle.

“Uhm… let’s see… according to this map it should be… no… that’s the Capitoline museum… hmm…” she thought aloud as she looked through the map the book provided with Pinkie over her shoulder trying to find it as well. Meanwhile while they searched the book Rainbow rolled her eyes and stopped a passing tour guide.

“Scusarsi, la Potrebbe diretto ci al Museo di Vaticano...?(1)” she inquired to the driver.(1: I’m sorry sir, but could you direct me towards the Vatican Museum…?)

“Ah, sì signora, proprio viaggio su questa strada qui e seguire le indicazioni per la vostra destinazione, o si può fermare un taxi pure(2)” He responded with a smile before he continued guiding the group he had forward.(2: Ah yes madam, you just travel down this road here and follow the signs to your destination, or you can hail a cab instead.)

“Yo, guys, head down that street. There’s a set of signs that’ll show you how to get around the city. Or apparently all the Taxi drivers know their way around too but I doubt many of them speak English.” She stated pointing to the same street the guide had. Applejack had been watching the scene and raised an eyebrow at her.

“How in Luna’s name do you know Italian…?” she asked the normally thick headed lazy pegasus. To her great surprise Fluttershy answered instead.

“Oh, well um. Our parents thought it was important that we speak different languages… since we do a lot of international business and we travel a lot… so we each are fluent in… well I know seven different languages and I think Rainbow knows… five?” she half asked her friend.

“Six actually. The old man took me on a business trip last year to Tokyo so I picked up Japanese too.” She replied as she landed and looked away like it was no big deal.

“Damn rich people…” AJ muttered. RD rounded on her ready to fire off a smart remark involving farmers and the manure they shoveled around on a daily basis when a voice amplified by a megaphone cut her off.

“Attention all travelers and tourists, there will be a large sponsored gladiator’s tournament starting in the coliseum in one hour! Entry for the event is still open but only for another half hour! Those wishing to participate should come see my associate here for an entry form.” He then started to repeat the message in different languages but the two hot blooded athletes had already absorbed what he had said and quickly rushed up to the rather scrawny looking man standing beside the guy with the megaphone.

“Give me a form.” They ordered at once. They glared at one another as the small man shrank a little and handed them each a piece of paper and two pens. They both quickly sat down on the fountain’s seats and used it’s flat surface to fill out the entry form. Thankfully the competition was open to all ages and was divided up into age groups so they didn’t need any kind of signature from a guardian. Rainbow wouldn’t have had an issue forging a signature but honest Applejack would have rather had her teeth pulled than betray her Granny’s trust like that. The pair both finished filling out the forms and handed them back to the paper boy. He took them and stashed them in a drop in box before pointing towards a large street.

“T-the coliseum is that way. Good luck to both of you.” He stated his voice shaky at best. Not that either girl noticed since they were already sprinting towards it. The other girls were breaking up into groups as well, Fluttershy had found a stand with maps and pointed out that there was a shopping district nearby, her and Rarity had wandered off in that direction without hesitation, Pinkie and Twilight noticed the others were all already departed and Twilight internally panicked that they hadn’t set a place to meet back up before she saw that Pinkie had whipped out her phone and was typing away. In her bag she felt her bag buzz and she pulled out her phone and read the message.

‘Meeting back by the fountain at 3, don’t be late or Twilight will throw a fit~! ^_- ~Pinkie’

She glanced over at her friend and frowned. “I would not throw a fit!” She complained.

“You’re right, you’d just have a panic attack and make up some story to explain their tardiness that’s even crazier than ME.” Pinkie giggled before she grabbed Twilight by her wrist and pulled her off in the direction of the Museum. Twilight grumbled to herself but followed Pinkie anyways tucking her book back in her bag as they went and then quickly grabbing onto her hat as Pinkie sharply turned down a street and a car zoomed past them almost ripping off the hat in the process. Pinkie held a map in her hand and was reading it while running. “Hmmm… the museum is actually pretty far away… it’s take us all day if we walked everywhere… “ she muttered to herself. She noticed a couple ride by on a moped and a wicked smile crossed her face, which didn’t go un noticed by her companion.

“Pinkie… I know that smile. I don’t like that smile. That smile is what landed us in that alligator pit last time we all went to the zoo…”

“Trust me Twilight, this will be LOADS faster than walking around, and tons of fun too~!” Pinkie sang as she studied the map a little bit more and then tucked it into her purse before zipping down the street with Twilight in tow.

Exactly 15 minutes and 32 seconds later…

(THIS)

Pinkie Pie flew over the hill with her musical horn blaring in her wake and her friend holding on for dear life and praying to her mentor that she lives through this ordeal. Pinkie sped weaving in and out of cars on her moped which was the same color as her hair, laughing like a maniac all the while. Cars honked, people swore and shook their fists at her, children screamed, and Twilight was praying and shutting her eyes waiting for it to all be over.

When they reached the museum Pinkie didn’t stop there. Oh no, that would be far too easy and normal. Instead she sped through the doors that someone had just opened, sped past the lobby guards chasing after her and drove up the infamous spiraling stairs until they reached the top floor where she quickly sped to a stop beside a bench, jumped off the scooter taking twilight with her, tossed the scooter and their helmets into the large plants behind the bench and sat down on the bench shoving an open newspaper into Twilights hand and putting on her infamous disguise glasses (You know, THESE) and leaning back on the bench peacefully. The heard of guards rushed past them without question except for one who wore a large star on his chest. He retraced his steps to Pinkie and Twilight and bent down to speak to her.

“Excuse the interruption to your day sir but have you by chance seen two girls on a scooter pass by here…?” he asked in plain English.

Pinkie put on a deeper voice as she twirled the moustache the disguise glasses provided. “Hmm, why yes now that you mention it, I think she went that way.” She replied pointing towards a long hallway. The man quickly stood up and whistled. His guards’ heads popped back around the corner and stared at him.

“Ha andato in questo modo i ragazzi!(3)” he shouted before running down the hall way his guards following after him like ducklings chasing their mother. Once they were gone Pinkie lowered the disguise glasses and giggled. The paper fell out of Twilight’s hands as she sat there dumbfounded by what had just happened. (3: She went this way boys!)

“Pinkie… forget how you convinced the scooter rental, who didn’t speak a single lick of English, to give us the scooter for free, what I want to know is HOW IN THE NAME OF FASUT you tricked a grown man into thinking you were a just a simple old man by wearing those silly glasses!” Twilight exclaimed in disbelief.

Pinkie just grinned and put them back on twirling her moustache and using her old man voice again. “It’s the moustache dearie, people don’t question the ‘stache.” She explained as she produced a walking cane and a trench coat from her purse. She tossed the trench coat onto Twilight and adopted a crippled look as she walked with the cane. “People also never question trench coats, now put that on so we can enjoy the museum without those silly wily guards arresting us!” she whispered. Twilight grumbled as she shrugged on the coat and trudged after Pinkie grumbling something about her rotten luck with traveling companions.

***

Rarity and Fluttershy were sitting in a lovely little café in the middle of the shopping district only a few bags laying at their feet. Princess Celestia had heard about their trip earlier that night and as promised before they had set of on their jungle exploration the gold in the grand treasure room of the temple now belonged equally to all of the girls and Spike as well… when they turned eighteen. Until then she would give them each small portions of it to use as they desired. Which was fine with Rarity since a small portion meant about six hundred gold coins in a satchel at her side, with each of those coins being the royal grade that was accepted worldwide and worth over two grand each, Rarity had more than enough walking around money to shop with. And with a well-placed transportation gem in her room and another in her hand, she could transport anything she bought back to the island and not have to worry about carrying it around. She also made sure to drop one of the gold coins into ever beggars cap she passed by. She had gotten more than a few shocked stares today each one warmed her heart. She now sipped her Caffè macchiato with a satisfied smile on her face.

“Oh this is marvelous so far darling, the weather is gorgeous, this city is divine, the fashion is stunning, and now I’m having the best cup of coffee I’ve ever tasted with one of my best friends in ITALY. Could this day get any better…?” she mused as she held her cup up to her lips to sip from it. Fluttershy sighed in content as she brought her herbal tea up to her lips. It had a kick of cinnamon in it but most Italian brewed teas had some kind of spice in it. She liked it all the same.

“I don’t think so… Rarity, it’s almost two, do you think we should be heading back to the fountain now…?” she asked her companion.

“Oh I suppose, come, I’ll send those last few bags to the house and then we’ll be off.” She said holding out her hand for the shopping bags at Fluttershy’s feet. Once the bags were gone the two finished their drinks and left one of the gold pieces on the table, which was more than that poor waitress of theirs made in months she was sure, and stood up to leave the café. Just as they stepped outside they each heard their phones buzz and pulled them out.

‘Change of plans, meet us by the docks ASAP instead, the boat will be waiting just get on it and it wait for us. ~Pinkie’

“Oh dear… you don’t think they’ve gotten into any trouble do you…?” Fluttershy asked her friend. Rarity bit her lip and laughed a little nervously.

“Why no darling… how much trouble can the others have gotten into in only one afternoon…?” she asked. At that moment they both heard a musical horn blare in the distance and they turned their heads just as a bright pink scooter flew off the hill and over their heads, both saw the familiar faces of both Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle on it seemingly in slow motion, beside them a boy with abnormally long white wings flew laughing his head off. Seconds later time caught up with them and the landed speeding off into the distance. The two blinked and were about to ask each other if they had seen it when the heard another commotion coming up the hill and in seconds a large golden chariot pulled by two strong looking horses bolted past them with two very familiar looking faces covered in ancient roman type battle armor and with helms that made their blonde and rainbow colored hair spike up into Mohawks stared at them in returned shock before they sped off in the same direction the scooter had. Both of them heard sirens and what sounded like an angry mob next. Low and behold seconds after the chariot had turned the corner a fleet of police on motorcycles came up and over the hill followed by a large group of very angry looking people in the same armor Rainbow Dash and Applejack had been wearing. When the crowd and police had turned the corner after the chariot and scooter Rarity and Fluttershy’s jaws clamped shut and they exchanged a glance.

In one swift motion Rarity walked up to a gentleman who had just parked a sleek black Ducati motorcycle and was helping his nice looking girlfriend off of it. She gently tapped his shoulder and shoved her satchel of gold into his hands before grabbing the helmet he had in his hand and tossing the pink one in her hands at Fluttershy who was already climbing onto the back of it as Rarity took the drivers seat.

“Siamo spiacenti, questa è una situazione di emergenza, addio!(4)” Fluttershy explained as Rarity revved the engine and sped off down the street after the girls. (4)Sorry, this is an emergency situation, goodbye!)

“I don’t know WHAT those four got into while we were gone but when I get my hands on them I’m going to give them a VERY thorough tongue lashing…” Rarity growled as she sped towards the city’s docks.

***

Five hours earlier at the coliseum:

“Whooooooa! This place is HUGE!” Rainbow exclaimed as she hovered midair and stared up at the massive structure before her.

“Eeyup…” Applejack stated as she too looked up at the structure. From near the entrance a voice rang out to them.

“All participant’s enter this way…! Tutti i partecipanti di entrare in questo modo ...! Tous les participants entrent dans cette voie ...!” the announcer kept switching between languages just like the of one by the fountain had but the pair got the message from the first time. They walked towards where a group of mostly gown men were lined up, there were a few younger ones and even fewer girls in line.

“Huh… guess they don’t get many girls like us here do they Apple…?” Dash chuckled as they got in line.

“Nope…” AJ responded tilting her heat up a little so she could see their competition. “Pretty good lookin’ competitors though… look at that one three ahead of us! He’s got arms on him like a bear…!” she whistled. The man in question did in fact have the bulging arms she described, and looked like he had the weight to back them up as well. Rainbow flew up a little bit higher.

“Yeah! But look at the guy two ahead of him! I can barely see his arms moving right now! And he’s got so many tattoos I can’t even see his mark!” Dash announced. Applejack peered around the crowd and watched the man in question punch at the air his hands a blur in motion as he did so.

“Whew, Ah’d hate to be nailed by those bony lookin’ knuckles. Those alone would land me with a couple of broken teeth!” AJ laughed.

“Oooooooh, I can’t wait AJ! Do ya think they’ll let us use real weapons…?!” Dash asked doing little figure eights in the air to show her excitement.

Applejack squinted into the building as the line was now moving pretty fast. “Dunno, but it looks like those guys are getting fitted with REAL armor…!” she said pointing. Dash looked and squealed a little in her excitement. The man ahead of them was rolling his eyes and rubbing his temples as he listened to the pair go back and forth. When they got in he was quickly checked and then pointed in the direction of the armor fitting, the two girls were up next.

The dark haired magic user looked up at them and scanned them both with a violet tinted beam of magic and then spoke to them. “Names and ages.” She asked as she looked down at the computer she had in front of her.

“Applejack Apple, 14”

“Rainbow Dash, same age as her.”

The woman typed something into the computer and then handed each of them a pass on a lanyard and pointed to a hall with the big roman numeral III carved into it. “Take these and go down that hall to get fitted with your armor and armed. Have a nice day and good luck to you both.” She stated with a simple smile before she called out for the next person in line.

Both girls did as instructed and walked down the hall and into what looked like a domed room with multiple people behind tall benches handing people sets of armor and rushing off into a room behind the counter to get said armor. The people, who all looked like teenagers like themselves, would then go over to a set of benches and strap on the armor before being pointed into the next room. They both walked up to the counter and the attendant there scanned them like the other woman had before and then went into the back room without a word returning with two sets of bronze colored armor.

“These are your sets of armor and your helms, they tie up in the back and go on right over your everyday clothing. They’re enchanted to protect you from even the heaviest of blows and still be as comfortable on you bodies. When you have either lost or won a round you will come back here to either turn in your armor or upgrade to the next best set. It goes from bronze, to silver, and then gold if you make it to the finals. When you’re done putting on your armor you may report to the armory to select your weapons. Good luck to you both.” He stated before waving in the next in line as the two girls walked off to the benches.

They dressed quickly not needing much help but Dash found herself caught when it came to the chest piece. “Hey hayseed, help a girl out and help me get this damn thing around my wings.” She called over to her friend. Applejack rolled her eyes and walked over to help. The disadvantage of being gifted with flight was that you had to buy special clothing that was made for wings. Which often meant an unnoticed slit in the side of a shirt that you could slide your wings through, but with metallic armor it was a bit difficult to maneuver it and strap it into place.

“Yeah yeah, hold your horses. Here, slide your wings in like that and…” there was a click and she tied the straps of the armor together once it was secure. “There, you all set now?” she asked the other girl. Dash picked up her helmet and put it under her arm just as AJ did the same.

“Yeah, come on, I’m DYING to see what kind of sick weapons these guys have laying around!” she cheered zooming ahead a little over the heads of some other competitors heads. She halted when she came into the open air training grounds and saw a hundred or so other teenagers already practicing with weapons like battle axe’s, long swords, hammers, morning star’s, cross bows, and many many more. Rainbow slowly fluttered to the ground her head a little dizzy as she literally swooned over the weaponry. Applejack caught her before she could fall flat on the ground and Rainbow gave her a goofy grin. “Apple, is that you…? I think I died and went to Valhalla!” she cried dramatically draping her hand over her forehead much like Rarity would. Applejack frowned at her and dropped the girl before stepping over her and towards the wall of weapons that sported another long table like bar where there were a few more workers for the competition, the difference being that these were mostly pegisai with two or three earthbound as well.

“Hey there partner, speak any English…?” she asked a grey winged man who looked to be a fellow farmer by the mark of a grapevine that grew around a sword on his forearm.

“Yes I do signora, what can I get you for a weapon…?” he asked his Italian accent thick but understandable all the same. Applejack thought for a moment before Rainbow Dash zipped up beside her and pointed behind the man.

“Can I try out those awesome looking dual swords?!” she asked. The man looked behind himself and chuckled taking the weapons she asked for off the wall and handing them to her along with the sheath's that they came with. They looked to be replicated off of ancient roman pegisai throwing swords as they were slightly curved and in the right hands could slice a man’s head off and come right back to the user like a boomerang, it was an ingenious design orginally crafted and named after the infamous Commander Hurricane; they also happened to be Rainbow’s all-time favorite weapon to play around with. She strapped the sheath's to her hips as the man spoke again.

“Now all the weapons in here have the same enchantments your armor does, so it won’t hurt anyone but it CAN do damage to anyone who isn’t wearing armor so be careful.” He warned as Dash took them. She nodded quickly and zoomed off to grab a training dummy. Applejack had finished thinking and pointed to a fairly large solid iron war hammer that had to be set on the ground simply because the thing was too heavy to be hung up.

“Go ahead and give me that big guy.” She stated. The winged man looked from it to her and bit his lip a little.

“Uh, signora, I think I misunderstand you… you say you want this hammer…?” he asked pointing at the heavy weapon. The other attendant’s look confused by the statement as well as did the young males who they were helping. One of them actually laughed. Applejack rolled her eyes and nodded.

“Yes, Ah want THAT hammer, now hand it over so Ah can see if it’s heavy enough to knock around those big guys Ah saw walkin’ in earlier.” She said motioning for the hammer. The attendant hesitated but brought the hammer up to the table with a grunt and slid it towards her. She took the handle of it and swung it over her shoulder like it weighed little more than a plastic baseball bat.

She weighed it in her hands a little and looked around. “Do ya’ll have somewhere Ah can test this…? This place is kinda old and Ah wouldn’t wanna break anything that’s a part of ya’ll’s history.” She explained.

“The entire coliseum was enchanted over a hundred years ago by a very practiced group of magic users. Which is why we can hold events here now without fear; it is indestructible and could survive a dragon’s rampage and only get a few dents which would be immediately restored by the spell… in short, you can feel free to practice wherever you want.” The attendant explained motioning around him at the building.

“Oh good, Ah’d hate to feel ashamed when Ah did this.” She said before she turned around sharply and through the hammer across the room narrowly zooming past the nose of the competitor that had laughed at her before embedding itself in the wall and leaving a crater with a radius as big as a grown man. She smirked a little satisfied as she calmly walked over and removed it from the wall weighing it in her hand a little. “Yup, Ah think this one’ll do mighty fine out there. How do you like the swords RD?” She called over her shoulder. Rainbow was just grasping her flying swords as they came back to her after beheading all the practice dummies in the room in one go. She sheathed them at either either side of her hips and grinned a little as she flew over to her friend.

“Oh I’m liking them realllllll nice hayseed. Whoa, small crater.” She noted staring at the thing as it repaired itself.

“Yeah, the place is enchanted or something so that it absorbs most blows and then repairs itself if it actually gets damaged. Wish we had that kind of fancy stuff on the farm. Ah can’t tell ya how many time’s Ah’ve had to repair one of our beams because me and Mac got a little rough when we were play fightin’.” She chuckled as they both walked out of the open practice arena and towards the main arena.

“Don’t you have steel beams in your barn…?” Rainbow asked so that the competitors could still hear them.

“And your point is…?” the farmer asked in return before they both burst out laughing. Everyone in the room, which were all male by the way, stood frozen at the two’s banter, and if they couldn’t understand their words than that show had certainly made them think twice about the two ‘little girls’ they had looked down upon earlier.

Back in the tunnel Rainbow glanced back and snickered as she leaned down to her friend as she flew beside her. “I think I saw one of those guys wet his pants!” she snickered.

“Did ya see the look on that tall fella when Ah almost took his nose off with mah hammer?! Ah thought he was gonna drop a load right there!” she howled with laughter as they came out into the arena.

“Is that what that stain was in the back of his pants?!” Rainbow asked before the pair burst out into mutual laughter drawing the looks of the other older competitors that were already waiting to be sent in. As it turns out they were not in the main arena but rather the large waiting room lined with many benches and hallways that probably lead to the other age groups training grounds and weapon rooms. Rainbow sheathed the swords at her side and Applejack secured the hammer on her back with the strap it came with. They looked around seeing the mixed looks of the other competitors. Applejack tipped her hat at them as she passed and Rainbow flew up to one of the TV’s that were hooked up along the walls. “Hey look Apple! They’re broadcasting this competition live! Must be a pretty big deal or something.” She announced to her earthbound friend. There was a scoff from one of the older looking men who wielded a long sword across his back. When he spoke it was with a heavy Italian accent.

“I don’t expect Equestrian’s to be familiar with our glorious city’s traditions, but I would AT LEAST expect them to know about the annual Coppa del Guerriero that we’ve held in tradition since the Sun and the Moon were still mere children.” He sighed in frustration with a roll of his eyes. Rainbow glared at him and was ready to bite back a comment in his native tongue when Applejack caught her by her ankle and brought her back down to earth. She shook her head and turned to respond to the man with an even tone.

“Sorry ‘bout that. Ah know full well about it and so does mah friend here but we were just told it was a competition, we weren’t given specifics on it at all.” She explained. The olive skinned man with greasy looking black hair and a mark along his neck of a long sword over a roman style helm made of gold stepped forward his dark eyes glinting with amusement at the pair.

“Well then, I guess I can give you SOME credit… My name is Casco 'oro, But everyone around here just call’s me Cas.” He said offering out a crossed hand to each of them. The girls each shook one eyeing him carefully. “Now you might not know this but I’m what you’d call the champion at this particular event… or at least I have been for the last ten years. It’s what my mark means. I was BORN to be a Gladiator, but unfortunately for me I was born a few hundred years late for that so now I just have to settle for this instead. Not that I mind, I get to fight up against some pretty interesting men… and a few women if they make it far enough. But you two… you two seem different. Even you little cucciolo…” he mused touching the tip of one of Rainbow’s cyan wolf ears. Her tail bristled behind her sticking out from between her upper and lower armor. “Oh, it looks like they’re real, you must have ticked off some powerful mage to get that kind of curse…” his eyes flickered to AJ who’s freckles chose that exact moment to swim up and around her neck in the shape of a raging bull. “Oh ho ho, and you as well little farmer.” He observed watching the freckle bull blow steam from its nose.

“It ain’t exactly a curse but it ain’t exactly none of your business either partner. Now step back before Ah decide to test out the enchantments on your armor with mah hammer.” AJ growled at the proximity of the greasy looking man.

“Ah, so you are the defensive type I see… and your friend here looks to be the edgy type… interesting combination… and, by the way you’re carrying that war hamme,r I’d say you could go through with that threat too… and I haven’t seen anyone who could wield a set of Hurricane Swords in many years… yes you two are interesting… I’ll be keeping my eye on you, make it to the finals with me and I’ll give you a real battle.” He laughed before he heard an announcement over the intercom and he stood back up to his full height and put on a golden helmet that matched his shining golden armor. “Ciao Bella’s” he called over his shoulder with a wink. Rainbow got a shudder up her spine as did AJ.

“Okay, Ah’m not crazy, that guy WAS the definition of creepy right…?” she asked her friend.

“Yeah… If you get to fight him before I do will you smack him with the hammer for me…?” she asked.

“Only if ya promise ta castrate him if ya get the chance.” She countered spitting into her palm and offering it to the girl. She grinned mirroring the act and shaking hands. They heard a loud thunderous crowd come from the hall Cas had walked into. They looked to the screen to see the camera panning across the crowd as he walked out into the pit. The seats were all packed in as the stadium shook with their excitement and Rainbow felt herself grin a little.

The announcer started to ask him a few questions as he took a seat in the booth off to the side of the arena signaling he would be helping with the broadcast until the final round. Applejack gave RD a curious look since the TV screens didn’t have subtitles. “Oh, they’re just talking about how the competition looks this year… he’s hinting that he noticed a few promising faces… guess he means us.” She explained as she continued watching the screen. Then a very well built older man walked into the room his head covered by a silver helm with bright red hair sticking out the top of it, the red aura that covered his hands and surrounded his throat told them he was a magic user.

“Alright, listen up everyone, I can only use this translation spell for a short time so I don’t want to have to repeat myself. The rules of the first round are like this: We’re gonna send you out by age group into the arena and onto this big platform that is raised ten feet in the air, it will be a free for all and if you ‘re knocked off the platform you’re out of the competition. The last thirty in the group standing move on to the next round which has multiple themes and is randomized every year, those rules will be announced when it is selected. Any questions? No, good.” The aura disappeared around his hands and throat and he marched out of the room before anyone could say a word otherwise.

“Huh… translation spell… I’ll have ta ask Twi ‘bout that one later.” Applejack noted. She glanced back up at the screen before a female voice came into the room with a large poster that she posted on the wall before leaving. A few people crowded around it. Applejack nudged her friend and nodded towards the paper. RD flew over to examine it and then came back quickly.

“It’s the event list, the first age group up is the way little kids… that must be adorable to watch. They’re actually in a separate competition all together. It’d be just bad publicity to have little kids fighting with adults after all. So after them is us. Then the young adults, and then the old guys.” She explained.

“Ah… seems fair enough. Awww, RD, look! They’re got all the little rascals out there already…!” she cooed pointing at the screen where the little kids were all coming onto the stage with foam armor and weapons. The youngest looked to be about five and the oldest about twelve. “Shucks… AB would definitely be out there with that lot. She’s got a mighty good swing on her. She actually broke my Pa’s nose once when she was barely a year old.” She laughed.

“Hehe, do earthbound’s get strength bursts when they’re little like Pegisai do with flight bursts…?” Rainbow asked her friend as she casually watched the little kids mob together and erupt into chaos when the bell sounded.

“Oh yeah, big time. Granny said that when Mac was still real little he actually broke his crib in one of his tantrums. Gramps had to make an all new one because Mac ripped the entire gate off and threw it out the window!” She recalled laughing a bit as she did so. Rainbow chuckled along with her.

“Yeah, Mom said when I was really little they took me out to one of the parks nearby and turned their backs for a few seconds, I kid you not in the time it took them to buy a hot dog I had flown up onto a nearby building and was jumping from rooftop to rooftop while they chased me. After that they didn’t let me out of the house until I out grew my flying spouts. Not that it really helped since I could fly all on my own when I was three…” She pointed out as she watched one rather rambunctious pegasus girl charge her opponents send three larger boys flying off the platform and then tripping another one that was trying to sneak up behind her causing him to fall over the edge. “Huh… I like that kid. She reminds me of me.” She stated with a small smirk. Applejack watched as the red headed girl flew up and round house kicked one of the much older boys straight out of the circle.

“Land sakes… she fight’s like ya too…!” AJ pointed out with a small laugh. “You sure you don’t have any siblings runnin’ around…?” she asked as they continued to watch the tiny girl literally kick some ass in the round that was supposed to be adorable and ended up being a bunch of little kids hitting each other with foam swords and shouting loud battle cries until the older ones shoved them out of the ring and then the little pegasus would come up behind them and knock them out as well.

“Yeah, but it’s cool. I’ve got Ivy and in a few years I’m gonna get to teach little Cottonball a thing or two about kicking can.” She explained with a wave of her hand.

“But ya never wished ya had a younger sibling around…?” Applejack asked her winged friend. Rainbow bit her lip a little.

“Well… before I met Flutters yeah, I did. And even after that too. But my parents were already pretty well on in years when they had me. I mean my dad’s… what almost 58 now…? Fluttershy’s parents are the same age, but they had Ivy when they were younger. She was kind of like a little sunny surprise for them. And when mom and dad heard that Sunny was pregnant again they got to thinking and soon enough I popped into this world in a blaze of glory. But they only really wanted one kid so I’m it. Not that I didn’t seriously beg them for a little brother… or sister. I wasn’t too picky. I just wanted someone who wasn’t an adult to play with. That’s when my parents sent me to flight camp and I met Flutters another of my old friends too. But she lives really far away so I hardly hear from her now a days. So usually it’s just me and Flutters rockin it out.” She stated with a shrug.

“Wait… if yours an’ Shy’s parents were really close and stuff how come you and Shy didn’t grow up together…?” Applejack asked confused by the notion.

“Huh…? Oh because you’ve seen Shy now that she’s older, she’s still really weak and stuff. When she was younger she had a list of medical problems longer than your brother is tall. Her parents didn’t want to risk her health so they kept her inside most of the time and homeschooled her too. When she was healthy and anything left could be controlled with medication and a clean room they let her out a little more. Now that she’s older the only thing that really ever bothers her is her lungs. Which is why she or I always have an inhaler on us.” Rainbow explained actually reaching between her armor and into her pants pocket to pull out the inhaler she kept on her person. She slipped it back into her pocket as she heard a bell ring on the TV and through the air as well. She looked up to the screen to see the little pegasus girl with a couple minor bruises forming on her face and a scrape or two but she was otherwise un harmed as she stood beside a large golden trophy that was as large as she was. Her parents came up onto the stage and hoisted her and the trophy up in the air as the crowd cheered.

The girl beamed and waved around at the crowd. Rainbow’s sharp eyes caught something glowing on the girl’s right hand and smiled when she saw a mark with a buster sword over a bright red shield appear on her hand. She noticed and gasped quickly showing her parents who also were over joyed with the development.

“Well ain’t that just a cutiemark story ta tell yer kids in the future… ‘Hey Ma, how’d ya get yer cutiemark…?’ ‘Oh nothing much, just won this big competition in Rome by tossin these bunch weakilin’s offa platform.’” She mimed before bursting out laughing Dash joining in. The other competitors looked at them funny but they didn’t really care. Once the applause died down again and the kids were all ushered out of the arena the platform was raised up to its full ten foot height instead of the two foot drop it had been for the kids, and an announcement sounded through the stadium. The crowd burst back into applause and RD nudged her friend with an elbow as she stood up from the bench they sat on together.

“Come on hayseed, that’s us. Put on your helmet and get your hammer, it’s ass kicking time.” She said as she dawned the helmet which was also enchanted to bring her hair up and through the top of it. Applejack glanced at her hat and then noticed the lockers lining the wall. She walked over and put her hat in it locking it tight with a key that hung nearby before she stuck the key in her pocket and then undid her hair wrapping the tie around her wrist and slipping on the gloves of the suit and then her helmet as well.

“Huh… you know for armor this stuff allows for some pretty good movement.” She noted as she joined her friend and the other teenagers as they walked towards the exit. She also noticed that besides them there wasn’t a single girl in the group, or if there was she was really tall and had a chest flatter than a board. When they emerged into the arena the thunderous applause that greeted them made Applejack jump a little and Rainbow Dash to grin. The coliseum was HUGE, and since it was filled to capacity that meant there had to be well over fifty thousand people in it, and millions more watching on the TV across the world. Applejack swallowed a little and nervously waved to the crowd as she went.

Rainbow, ever the performer, was flying towards the stage waving to the people with absolutely zero reserves in her. She then jolted when she heard the announcer speak in English. “Alright folks let’s get this show on the road with our next age group, the teens. Now this is our first group that will feed into the rest during the remaining rounds, I’ve been hosting this event for years now and I can personally say that kids this age can have just as much fight in them as adults, sometimes even more. Isn’t that right Cas…?” he asked the man sitting next to him. Rainbow looked around seeing the slight shimmer of magic in the air, she guessed a larger version of the translation spell she’d seen earlier was being used on the entire arena.

‘Yeesh I’d hate to see the strain that team of mages is going through to keep that up.’ She thought as she flew onto the platform Applejack right beside her.

“Oh yes, most definitely Ultime Notizie, I’d say that people who underestimate the youth will be sorely hurting the next day.” He chuckled his dark eyes watching the pair in particular. They both went rigid and glared back at him in response to make it known that they still didn’t like him. He didn’t falter though, “And it looks like the last of the herd is in the bull pen so let’s ring the bell and let them have at it! Remember kids, if you’re knocked out of the circle, or if you accidently fly out of bounds for those of you with wings, then you’re disqualified and you’re to exit towards the locker rooms and return your weapons and armor at once. Are we ready to brawl?!” he called into the arena. The crowd and the competitors all cheered in response.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash got back to back in the center of the crowd. “When the bell sounds you fly fast and Ah’ll take as many out as Ah can with a hammer tornado.” Applejack whispered to the girl behind her. She got a nod in response and when the bell rang through the air Dash was in the air faster than anyone could blink and Applejack had drawn her hammer and spun it around in a huge circle sending everyone around her flying or to the ground. The others who were out of range began to fight pushing others towards the edge.

“Whoa, and right off the bat there’s a big show of power from a young lady wielding a… is that a solid iron war hammer Cas…?” Ultime asked his cohost.

Cas chuckled and nodded. “Yes it is, and according to the records I have right here that particular hammer weighs over 90 kilo’s, or 200 pounds for you Equestrians out there. It takes some serious muscle to get that thing up and moving, and as you can see for yourself she’s treating it like a child’s toy. If you’ll look above her to the sky you’ll find another oddity in modern day fighting, the infamous Hurricane Swords, a weapon hand crafted by Commander Hurricane of the Pegasus empire over four thousand years ago. Now any kind of dual weaponry takes a lot of skill and experience to wield properly; but when you add in the unique ability that these swords possess, which is to sail through the air like a boomerang and slice through your opponent, it makes it all the more impressive that such a young lady has mastered their use.” He stated as Rainbow Dash flicked her wrist sending one of her swords flying to take out a pegasus that had leapt up to strike her down and then continue on behind her to send another one who had been sneaking up behind her sprawling out of bounds and into the dirt below. She landed into the fray both swords drawn deciding to do some damage to non-fliers.

“Is it just me or do those two girls seem to have a type of dynamic going on there Cas…?” Ultime asked as he watched the two girls working in harmony, when Applejack would duck Rainbow Dash would send a teen flying off the platform with a strong blow to the chest, When Rainbow hovered midair Applejack would pound her hammer into the floor to send bodies sprawling in every direction. Then they’d go right back to back again and fend off the swarm that rushed them.

“Oh yes I suppose now would be a pretty good time to mention that these two were the promising pair I mentioned earlier. From what I could gather they’re both native to Equestria, home of the Sun and the Moon, and the taller one with the blonde hair that carries the hammer is an apple farmer, while her colorful friend with the Hurricane Swords is a racer at heart and apparently not too shabby with fighting either… Oooh, I’d hate to see that guy’s dentist bill after a blow like that.” He commented after he watched Rainbow deliver a well placed uppercut to a pink haired magic user who had tried to take her swords away.

“How are ya holdin’ up back there city slicker…?” Applejack called over her shoulder as she righted herself after delivering a devastating round house kick that sent four competitors skidding off the platform. Rainbow quickly delivered two slices to the knees of the guy in front of her before kneeing him in the chin as he collapsed to his knees and then sending him flying into the outer wall with a kick to the chest.

“Pretty good Hayseed, I’m up to twenty four, how about you…?” she called back with a laugh as someone tried shooting her with a crossbow. She deflected the arrows with one sword and sent the other flying for his head. He tipped backwards over the edge and fell right onto a growing pile of groaning teenage boys. “Make that 25!” she corrected. Applejack laughed as she picked her hammer up from the ground and held it over her shoulder as a group of six tried to charge her. She swung it like a baseball bat and watched as she sent all of them flying.

“Let’s see… that puts me at 26! Ha, one ahead of ya Dash!” she called back. Rainbow, not one to be shown up, decided to right this problem by flaring her wings out sharply causing a forceful wind to knock a few others who were off fighting their own battles and with a flick of her wrists she sent both of her swords flying in their direction. A few of them caught themselves and ducked but the other unfortunate souls were knocked unconscious and sent over the edge.

“Let’s see… that’s five more…” she turned stomped her foot down on the foot of a guy who had snuck up behind her dagger drawn to her throat when she tossed away her swords and elbowed him in the stomach before whipping around and grabbing her swords right out of the air and smashing them into his head making a loud bell like thud as he fell unconscious to the floor. “Plus that guy, puts me at 31, HA!” She called back over her shoulder at her partner in crime who took a moment to stick her tongue out at the rainbow haired girl before she broke another offender’s nose with her fist and then sent him flying with a jarring kick in the stomach that would probably cause him to throw up… if he wasn’t already unconscious that is.

“Oh man, I hope tonight’s medics have a lot of beds waiting for these poor young men today… I haven’t seen anyone those girls hit get back up and walk out of here on their own…! We’re running out of stretchers!” Ultime chuckled sounding a little nervous as he watched more bodies fly off the platform and the number count on the board fall further and further until it hovered just at thirty one, meaning there only had to be one more knock out for the round to end. Rainbow Dash was dodging a wave of arrows that were coming from a pair of crossbow user’s that had teamed up to take her down and Applejack was being slowly surrounded and crowded by almost all the others. She couldn’t swing her hammer if she didn’t have the room for it so she resorted to fending them off with her fists and hoping that Rainbow could get someone out before she was overwhelmed. She felt someone strike the back of her neck and she fell to her knee’s before she was picked up by her neck and hoisted into the air by a familiar looking face.

“Not so tough without that big hammer of yours are you Equestrian…?” the green haired teen snarled his lips drawn back in disgust as he looked at her and his accent giving him the origin of France. He bought up a single throwing knife and traced it along her cheek gently leaving a small red trail behind it. “You know, I don’t normally like to fight girls… but for you, I’ll make an exception.” He sneered as he turned to face the edge of the platform all the others moving out of his way. Applejack’s eye was caught by something glinting in the sunlight and she let a smile take over her features as she gripped at his armored hand.

“Ya… forgot one key detail about me…” she snarled through her chokehold.

“Oh really…? And what’s that?” he asked smirking. His smirk faded when he felt a blade slice through the hair that protruded from his helm and then for another to hook around his neck as a cold voice breathed in her ear.

“She doesn’t work alone.” Rainbow hissed. He froze up and his grip around Applejack’s neck loosened. She fell on the platform floor gasping for air and Rainbow grabbed the boy by the front of his armor tossing her swords to the ground to imbed into the dirt floor as she flew up into the air with him. “You know what my number one rule is buddy…?” he looked from her to the ground below nervously, as an earthbound he’d probably never been up this high without something under his feet. “You don’t mess with my friends and get away with it.” She replied her eyes cold as ice. She arched backwards in the air doing a backflip with him still in her hold before she flipped over and released him sending him crashing back to the dirt ground full force. His body left a crater but his armor protected him from it so the worst he would get was a concussion and a really sore back. She dusted her hands off and frowned in his direction as the bell sounded marking the end of the round. She touched back down on the ground and for once ignored the thousands of cheering people that surrounded her. She instead kneeled down beside the blonde whose helmet had fallen off in her struggle against her capturer. “Hey Hayseed, you alright?” she asked as Applejack still held onto her throat.

“Yeah… Ah’m fine sugar cube. Might have a bruise there but Ah’ll be fine.” She responded with a small chuckle. She playfully punched Rainbow in the arm as she looked up at her. “Saw what you did to French Fry over there, pretty impressive seismic toss for someone who can’t even bench two hundred.” She laughed as she stood and used her hammer for support as she got to her feet. Rainbow picked up her swords and sheathed them at her sides as she helped her friend off the platform.

“Yeah well, gravity helped a little there. So did being so pissed I swear I was seeing red.” She admitted with a small shrug. Applejack reached up and pinched her cheek.

“Awww, was little Dashie worried for lil ol’ Applejack…?” she laughed using a baby voice. Dash swatted away her hand.

“First off, I’m older than you by like two months, second, you sound weird as hell when you talk like that, and lastly, worried isn’t the word I’d use to describe it. I was just pissed at him for hurting you.” She replied flatly as she escorted Applejack back into the room waving off the nurses that offered to take her.

“Well shoot RD, you ruin all mah fun. Hey do they have water around here…? I could use some for my throat.” The farmer asked as they entered the locker room again. Rainbow Dash set her down on the bench and then noticed an ice chest where a few of the competitors were gathered around. She reached in and grabbed two waters from it walked back to the bench and handing on to AJ. “Whew, thanks RD… Ah wonder if the adults are gonna be any more lively than we were.” she questioned motioning towards the screen where a very large group of men, and a few dotted women, were gathering onto the huge platform.

“I would hope so, I mean they’re older than us right…? If they were worse it would be kind of statement towards today’s adults.” Rainbow observed. Applejack chuckled a little bit.

“Wow RD, ya actually sounded kinda smart there for a second…” Applejack observed a sly smirk on her face. Rainbow frowned at her.

“Hey, I’m a jock, not an idiot. I speak six different languages and make decent grades too. You’re a farm raised hay seed and you get better grades than most honor students. I think it’s safe to say neither of us are idiots… at least on paper.” She added quickly when Applejack opened her mouth to say something. She shut her jaw and turned her attention back to the TV. While they were both focused on the TV a volunteer worker for the competition came in wheeling racks of silver armor behind him.

His throat became shrouded in soft green aura as he spoke to the room. “Okay Round 1 winners, this is your Round 2 Armor. Put it on and if you want to swap out your weapons before the next round you can back in the training arena. When you’re done with your bronze armor please hand it to me and I will return it to our armory.” He announced. The group of thirty quickly lined up to get their armor, including the athletic pair. But Applejack’s eyes kept darting back to the screen, there was something about this Cas character that rubbed her the wrong way… and it wasn’t just the fact he was a complete ass hat. On the screen she froze a little when she saw his eyes slant towards her and a small smirk to cross his lips. She felt her blood run cold when she noticed his dark eyes meet hers… there was something seriously not right about him.

***

Back with Pinkie and Twilight the pair had just finished touring the museum and were currently walking out of the museum throwing their disguises off as they went down the steps. Twilight noticed the scooter waiting on the sidewalk like it had been there the entire time.

“Pinkie… didn’t you leave that thing up on the top floor…?” she asked pointing a skeptical finger at the moped.

“Well yeah, but did you really expect it to wait up there all day? Mopeds belong on the road Twilight! Now put on your helmet, I think I hear those guards coming!” she ordered as she hopped onto the scooter and dawned her own decorated helmet and offered out the lavender one to Twilight. Twilight bit her lip silently cursing the universe yet again for sticking her with her polar opposite for this trip before she grabbed the helmet and got on the seat behind Pinkie just as she revved the motor and six guards and their captain turned the corner and spotted them.

Pinkie was already laughing her head off as she popped a wheelie and sped off down the street snorting a little in her laugh as she blared her musical horn yet again leaving a trail of pink in her wake. The guards came to a halt at the side walk and panted heavily. One of the guards looked down the street Pinkie had taken off on and he squinted following the pink blur.

“Sir… I think the target is heading to St. Peter's Basilica…” he reported in his own language to his commanding officer. St. Peter's Basilica was the single most holy site in the city if the entire country. The commander pulled his phone out from his pocket and quickly dialed a number.

“Brother… I have troubling news. Yes, send out the entire task force… is it necessary…? Brother, with this one, I’m beginning to wonder if our entire military would be enough to bring her in…” he stated as he looked out onto his fair city with a grim face.

Pinkie giggled as she pulled into a skidding stop behind two large hedges and then she popped her head over the tops of them to look around. No one seemed to notice them at all so she grinned and tossed her helmet in the bushes behind her and grabbed Twilight by her arm.

“Come on Twiley! My fun radar is telling me that someone around here needs a heavy dose of happy!” She giggled hopping out of the bushes with Twilight in tow.

“Ah! Pinkie slow down! I need my bag and you made me drop my hat!” Twilight complained. Pinkie released her arm and tapped her foot impatiently while she went back into the bushes to grab the items. Her eyes kept darting back to the building where a single curl had gone straight and was pointing at it like an antennae and her body was pulling her in the direction too. Twilight came back out straightening her hat on her head with her messenger bag slung across her chest and resting on her hip. “There! Now we can- Ahh!!!” Twilight shouted when she was forcibly dragged by Pinkie into the main building which was a massive structure in its own, never mind the rest of the building that wrapped around the back. It reminded Twilight a lot of the castle she had grown up in. She barely had time to glance at the beautiful church as she was rushed through it by Pinkie who seemed to be sniffing the air like a bloodhound in the hunt. When at last Twilight started to jog beside Pinkie she let go of her arm and Twilight decided to ask a question. “You said there was someone here that needed your help…?” she asked the pink haired girl.

“Yeah totally! I’m getting this biiiiiiig boring wave of negative energy out from this place! And it’s all coming from one person! They obviously have never had an ounce of fun in their entire lives! I could feel it when we entered the city but now it’s like a big pressure in the front of my head and it’s driving me wild!” she explained as she expertly maneuvered through the complicated hallways like she had been living here her entire life. Twilight followed still confused by Pinkie’s shenanigans but that was nothing new. Pinkie had often sniffed her out when she was stressed and it seemed like she always knew just what to do to make her relax again. Her special talent was definitely making people happy. Pinkie suddenly came to a halt just outside a simple white door that looked exactly like the others they had already passed. On her head her fun antennae was pulling desperately towards the door. “This is it! You may want to cover your ears Twiley.” Pinkie warned as she pulled something out from behind a nearby potted plant.

Twilight’s eyes widened and she quickly ducked behind a stone bench that seemed to be carved out of the floor itself and covered her ears as Pinkie grinned from ear to ear holding a painted pink and blue cannon in her hands the fuse string in her hands.

“I’ve been waiting all day to test out this baby… face the full fury of my own patented dose of happy provided by my latest and greatest creation in party technology, THE PARTY CANNON!!!!” She shouted as she yanked the string. The cannon made a large boom and the solid stone door crumbled filling the hall with dust. Twilight coughed as she stood up and took her hat off to fan the dust away.

When the dust started to settle she heard two screams and she looked up to see Pinkie standing in the gaping hole in the wall grinning from ear to ear as confetti and streamers rained all around her. The two screams came from two nuns dressed in their garbs who were shaking on the ground staring up at her. One of them reached for a hand held radio that was by her feet but a third voice that was softer and only barley recognizable as a male’s stopped her.

“Do not bother Elisabetta, these girls mean no harm.” He said a gentle hand stopping hers as she was about to press the panic button. The nun looked to she shadowed figure and nodded slowly. A faint smile came across his face as he stepped into the light to reveal a boy no older than 12 in a simple white robe that hung loosely from his small frame. His soft white hair and gentle golden eyes fell on Pinkie. “Hello, my name is Angelo Ratzinger, why have you destroyed my bedroom door…?” he asked offering out a hand to the pink haired girl who just beamed and bounced forward and shook his hand so fast he was a little disheveled from it.

“Pinkamena Diane Pie at your service! As to why I blew down your door I sensed a realllllly big hole in the fun zone over here and it’s coming from YOU.” She giggled her bright blue eyes sparking as she grinned at him and let his hand go. He continued to shake it in the air for a few seconds before he gathered himself and righted himself once more. He cleared his throat and shook his head.

“I’m afraid you’re mistaken Miss Pie, I am perfectly content here. I have my studies and both Elisabetta and Gianna here are wonderful company.” He explained motioning to the two nuns who were dusting off their robes from the explosion. Twilight took that moment to pop her head in and look around nervously.

“Pinkie… I think the explosion might have got the attention of the guards…” she warned as she felt a high concentration of magic approaching them.

“Give me a minute Twiley! This kid is kidding himself here! He’s so wound up I could use him as a top and he’d spin until he was old and grey! You need 300 CC’s of fun and STAT!” She said as she danced around the boy playfully giggling. He watched her a little weary.

“I’m sorry… I don’t quite understand what you-“

“Halt in the name of Pope Benedict XVI!!!” Came a deep voice from down the hall.

“Whoopsies! No time to explain! Run Twiley I’ve got Mr. Stick in the Mud…!” she shouted. The magic user didn’t hesitate and bolted down the hall. Pinkie grabbed her cannon from the ground and stuffed it in her hair before she grinned and grabbed the white haired and robed boy by the arm and dragged him out of the room.

“She’s got High Grandson Angelo!!! Get her men!” a rather large pegasus guard shouted. Men in pure white guard uniforms rushed at her from down the hall and she giggled as she threw the panicked looking boy over her shoulder and made a face at the guards by pulling down her eye lid and sticking out her tongue before giggling and bolting down the hall faster than they could possibly hope to catch up to. That didn’t stop them from trying though. Pinkie was in snorting laughter as she caught up to Twilight who was already running for the exit.

“Miss Pie!!! What is the meaning of this?! You have no idea what they’ll do to get me back! I’m not just any normal kid! I’m the grandson of the Pope for crying out loud!!!” he called back to his kidnapper. Pinkie merely giggled at him.

“So…? Twiley here is the personal protégé of Princess Celestia herself and I kidnap her like this all the time~!” she replied as they broke through the front doors of the church. Twilight bounded down the stairs and Pinkie merely sat on the railing that lead down them and slid down squealing in delight while Angelo screamed in fright.

“What are you doing Miss Pie?! I can’t leave the church! I’m bound to it by duty!!!” he called back. Pinkie blew a razzberry at that.

“Duty schmooty! You’re a kid! You’re supposed to be out playing right now! Not buried nose deep in some dusty old books!”

“I’ll have you know those books have been passed down in my family for over… wait… did you say earlier that this girl is the student of the Solar Goddess…?” he asked the Pink haired girl glancing at the magic user who had just caught up with them again.

“Yuppers! Twilight, introduce yourself while I get the scooter!” she ordered as she tossed the boy to the ground and bolted for the bushes. Twilight groaned and offered out a hand to the boy.

“I’m really sorry about this but trying to stop Pinkie is like trying to stop the ocean from moving. My name Twilight Sparkle, and no I do not usually have these wings, they’re just a side effect from a spell I was trying out yesterday.” She quickly lied to the boy. He took her offered hand and smiled.

“It is a true honor to meet the student of one of the Daughters. But I must ask… why are you here in my fair Rome with this… odd companion…?” he asked as Pinkie popped out of the bushes wheeling a pink moped with her. Twilight laughed at that and smiled at him.

“It’s a long story… but if I may offer a piece of advice…?” when he motioned for her to continue she did. “Pinkie Pie is never wrong about these kinds of things… and she knows exactly what she’s doing… even if it doesn’t seem like it. But she IS pretty wild at times… “ she chuckled as she watched the girl motion for Twilight and the girl didn’t hesitate to hop on the bike behind her and offered out her hand to the boy. He seemed to hesitate.

‘These girls… they are… odd. But…’ he looked at the earnest and excited look of the pink haired girl and the down to earth accepting look of her purple haired companion. ‘They’re much more real than anything I’ve ever seen.’ He smiled a little and reached for the robe he was wearing. He threw it off and into the bushes revealing a pair of simple white slacks under them and a white dress shirt as well to match. But what caught their eyes was the wings that out stretched from his back. He couldn’t have been any older than 13 but his wing span was already larger than most grown adults, and they were the softest purest white either had ever seen in any pegasus.

There was a shout from the entrance and all their heads quickly snapped to it. Angelo quickly turned back to face them his blue eyes wide when he saw the head guard running at them. “Go! I shall follow from the air!” he ordered as he took to the air himself and Pinkie revved the engine a sped out into the city weaving through the crowd of people that walked through the front courtyard. When she came back out into the open street Angelo came to glide beside them as they sped through the traffic and he skillfully weaved as well.

“The entire city force is going to be after us! We need to get to somewhere they won’t think to look!” Twilight called over the sounds of the traffic.

“I’ve been looking out at this city from my room my entire life! I have it memorized by now. Take a left up here!” Angelo called pointing to the street ahead of them. Pinkie complied making a sharp turn that cut off more than a few cars who blared their horns in response. “Great! Now follow me!” he shouted as he flew ahead a little and Pinkie again listened as she followed his every turn through the maze like city and sped through many different back alleyways dodging the sirens that always seemed to be just around the corner. When they came to a large plaza he landed and Pinkie stopped the bike and looked to him. “Park the bike on that rack over there and then blend in with the crowd!” he hissed as they heard sirens coming up the street. Both girls hopped off the scooter and Pinkie quickly parked it at a moped station that had many scooters along it, some even the same bright pink as her own. She then rejoined Twilight and Angelo who had merged with the crowd.

The plaza was filled with the sound of sirens and many of the people halted as they watched officers in uniform begin to break through the crowd. Twilight bit her lip nervously as she watched them scan all the faces in the crowd carefully. It wouldn’t be long until they were spotted. Out of the corner of her eye she saw a soft white dove land on a cardboard cutout in front of a restaurant. A little light bulb went off in her head and she turned to Pinkie.

“Pinkie, do you still have those card board cut outs of us and the girls…?” she asked her pink haired companion.

“Yeah, of course I do. I never leave home without-“

“Get them out here. Just the ones of me and you though.” She ordered quickly as she charged her hands with her magic. Pinkie quickly reached into her bag and brought out two folded cardboard cut outs and handed them to Twilight. She tossed each of them to the ground and then quickly plucked a feather from Angelo’s wing. He winced retracting the appendage.

“Ow! Miss Sparkle what was the purpose of-“

“Shhh!” she hissed through her teeth as she concentrated on the three objects that now glowed in her magenta magic. Slowly the card board cut outs unfolded and began to shake a little while the feather swirled around like a mini tornado that began to grow in size. Twilight furred her brow in concentration and grit her teeth groaning a little at the effort. When at last her magic began to recede the officers were only a few meters away and she sighed in relief at the results. Before them three mirror images of themselves stood blank faced before they blinked and shook their heads like they were snapping out of a trance. They bolted out of the crowd and ran for the moped rack; the imposter Pinkie and Twilight hopped on the scooter and sped away with the fake Angelo hot on their tails. Hearing the commotion the officers all looked in time to see them all turning down a street and quickly ran for their own vehicles to pursue them. The sirens faded away down the street and the three of them let out a breath they didn’t know they’d been holding. Pinkie burst out in giggles and hugged Twilight twirling her around in her excitement.

“That was super-duper totally awesome Twilight!!! I TOLD you your head has the BEST ideas!” she squealed as she set her friend back down and beamed ear to ear as she bounced in place. Twilight righted herself a little dizzy from the spinning as she adjusted the hat on her head.

“Thank you, Illusionary magic isn’t my strong point but that one should buy us a couple of hours.” Twilight reasoned pointing in the direction that the imposters and coppers had sped off in.

“Okie dokie loki! That’s plenty of time to pump some life into Angelo here…! Hmm… I don’t like that name so much… it isn’t fun enough… oh! I know! I now nickname you Gelo (Jell-O)!” she declared with a grin a the boy who was her exact height. He gave a glance at the more sensible of the pair and gave a slight frown.

“Doesn’t Gelo seem a bit… silly?” he asked confused.

“Well duh! Nicknames are SUPPOSED to be silly! That’s what makes them fun! That’s your first lesson on fun today Gelo~!” she sang as she hopped around him one of her eyes opened and she stopped in midair tapping her chin in thought as she looked at the boy. “Hmmm… this isn’t going to work… If you’re going to be running around with us you have to lose the ‘I am Holier than thou’ look… otherwise those guards and officers are going to be able to spot you a mile away!” she reasoned as she lowered back down to the ground as if accepting gravity once more.

Twilight looked at him raising an eyebrow. “I see what you mean Pinkie… when the princess used to take me out she always dressed differently to blend in… Oh I never wished more that we had Fluttershy or Rarity with us…” she sighed running a hand through her hair. Angelo looked down at his clothing raising an eyebrow.

“What’s wrong with what I’m wearing…?” he asked slightly offended. Pinkie pulled out a map from her bag and looked at it searching for something.

“The shopping district is that way! Let’s go and get him something more normal to wear~!” she giggled pulling him by the arm his soft white hair that hung over most of his face flying up a little in the sudden motion. Twilight didn’t miss that he had quickly reached up to make sure his bangs stayed over his forehead but didn’t want to question it as she calmly walked after the pair a gentle smile on her face as she went. Ten minutes later the small group arrived at a department store called Tad and Pinkie was already dragging Gelo towards the boys section. Twilight looked down at what she was wearing and frowned at another thought.

“Hey Pinkie, do you think we should change our clothes too…? We’ll avoid the guard’s attention if we do.” She reasoned as she came up behind Pinkie. The pink haired girl paused and tapped her chin in thought.

“You’re right Twiley, you go find outfits for us and I’ll take care of Gelo. You know my tastes by now right…?” she giggled pointing at the pink dress she currently wore. Twilight laughed and nodded before walking off to the girls section of the store. Pinkie turned back to the boy smiling as she saw him curiously fingering the fabric of a denim sleeveless jacket. “Ever worn anything besides white…?” she asked taking the jacket off the rack. Surprisingly he shook his head.

“My grandfather said it was below me to wear anything other than the purest of colors…” he explained without looking up from the fabric. Pinkie frowned a little before giggling.

“That’s just silly! How can wearing a color taint your soul…?” she mused as she held up the shirt to him to see how it looked. “I think it looks good on you! Here, come with me, I’m no Rarity but I’ll have you looking 20% cooler in ten seconds flat~!” she giggled. Across the city at the coliseum Rainbow Dash would mysteriously find her ears burning at the use of one of her favorite lines.

Angelo stood confused as the bizzare girl would zip from rack to rack and then back to him to hold up something against him for show and then shake her head and zip back to a different rack. Eventually he had an armful of clothes and she was shoving him towards the dressing rooms. “Miss Pie I-“

“Ah-ah-ah, first rule Gelo, Miss Pie is my Mamma, you call me Pinkie.” She ordered waggling a finger at the boy.

“Well if you insist… Pinkie, I don’t understand what the purpose of this activity is… why must I try on so many outfits…?” he asked curiously.

“To see which one you like silly!” she giggled. “Even Twilight’s little brother Spike knows that! And he’s younger than you!” she mused.

“Which one… I like…?” he asked tilting his head confused. “Are some of them not worthy…?” he asked staring at the clothes pile he had tossed on the chair in the dressing room.

“Well you might not like how some of them feel… or you may not like how they look on you… wait… Gelo, have you seriously NEVER tried on clothes before…?” she asked the boy. He blushed a little and scratched the back of his head.

“Well… I have never been outside my sanctuary before… and the servants do most everything for me… even when I would prefer they didn’t…” he explained a little embarrassed by the detail. Pinkie whistled to show her surprise. Well you pick out which one you like and I’ll go find you some shoes. Give me yours so I can check the size.” She said holding out her hand and motioning for him to hand over the footwear. He looked down and quickly unlaced the shoes and handed them to Pinkie. She giggled and hopped off closing the stall door behind her. He walked over and locked it before turning to the pile of clothes and then glancing at the mirror biting his lip a little nervously.

Five minutes later Pinkie came bouncing back in to find his dressing room door open and staring at himself in the mirror with a brightly colored striped shirt on and completely opposite pair of brown pants on. The shirt was on messily and he was fighting with one of the buttons before he spotted Pinkie in the mirror and he turned around quickly his ice blue eyes wide in shock.

“The um… clothing refuses to cooperate with me.” He explained his cheeks a little flustered. Pinkie smiled and shook her head as she walked towards him setting a box with a pair of regular tennis shoes on the ground.

“You silly billy! That’s not how you wear clothes! Unless it’s inside out Tuesday… here. Take the shirt back off.” She giggled as she picked up a different shirt from the pile. He quickly unbuttoned the shirt and stripped it off throwing it at the pile with a grunt and a glare. He tried to adjust the simple white tank top he wore as Pinkie handed him a simple T-shirt with a band name and logo on the front of it. It was pitch black and the writing looked like it was blood. He stared at it horrified.

“I-I don’t think that shirt would be appropriate at all… it looks like something Discord would wear to mock my grandfather openly…” he commented shying away from it.

“Hmmm… no black huh… don’t let Luna or Twilight hear you say that. It’s one of their favorite colors to wear. Here! Wear this instead then! And these!” she said offering him the cut off sleeveless jean jacket and a pair of light blue slightly baggy denim cargo pants to match. He raised an eyebrow but Pinkie had already walked out and shut the door behind her. He changed into them easily enough since he at least knew how to put on pants and all he had to do was slip the jacket on over his tank top.

“Umm… Pinkie? Are you sure this is what children my age wear…? It looks a bit… oh what is the word in English…?” he asked aloud as Pinkie came back in and smiled at his appearance.

“Normal. It looks normal. Here, the shoes are plain white. I guessed you could at least wear those.” She said offering him the white skater style shoes. He again eyed them and then her questioningly.

“You Equestrians are so bizzare…” he mumbled as he slipped on the shoes and turned to look at himself in the mirror. “Well… I suppose if does not look that bad… And I admit many of the children I’ve seen from my window do dress like this… it just feels… weird.” He noted as he rubbed his arms not used to wearing anything less than a dress shirt.

“Hmmm… you’re still missing something…” Pinkie hummed rubbing her chin and walking around him like a predator circling its prey. He cast a curious glance at her as she snapped her fingers and her hair seemed to spring with her jump. “Accessories! Oh Rarity would have a fit if I forgot those! Wait here.” She ordered before zooming off. Angelo stared at where she had run off to for a few seconds before he turned back to face the mirror. He fingered his hair a little trying to get it to spike up a little like he had seen other tweens do but without disturbing the bangs that covered most of his face. It was almost impossible. He frowned and gave up on the effort just as Pinkie came back in with an arm full of various accessories. She deposited them at her feet and then zipped around him snapping on bracelet’s, slipping a belt around his waist, hanging a necklace around his neck, and then placing a hat on his head.

When he opened his eyes once more and recovered from his head spinning when he had tried to watch her work he stared at himself in the mirror again. He was shocked by what the little trinkets had done. They had completed the look and he couldn’t help but admire that outcome. The belt hung loosely from his waist but still held up his pants so they wouldn’t end up slouching, he had a single silver cross bracelet on his right wrist and a matching silver rosary around his neck. On his head a baby blue fedora with a long white feather attached to it sat and even pushed his hair out a little so it looked spikey. He smiled at the result and nodded as he turned around.

“Well… I do like this… this is… nice.” He commented the faintest smile present on his lips. The first sign of a smile he’d had since they’d left St Peter’s Basilica. It in turn of course made Pinkie beam from ear to ear.

“Good~! And Twilight should be just about done with our clothing…” she mused holding up a hand and slowly lowering one of her fingers in a count down when all five were tucked away in her palm she pointed showily behind her and Twilight turned the corner.

“Hey Pinkie I got you a- Oh…! Angelo, I almost didn’t recognize you!” Twilight exclaimed almost dropping the clothes she was holding in her arms when she saw him.

“Thaaaaat’s the point silly willy~! Come on! Let’s change!” Pinkie giggled dragging Twilight further down the hall to an empty stall. They both emerged minutes later, Pinkie now in bright bubbly pink skinny jeans with layered blue and yellow tank tops and a hot pink jacket over it and the same light blue color on the flats she wore. Twilight’s outfit made him cringe a little however, she wore black skinny jeans with a form fitting band t-shirt not unlike the one he had rejected, with the same dark color scheme, long fishnets that went all the way up her arms, a spike bracelet on each of her wrists and a pair of pitch black combat boots on each of her feet with spikes poking out from the sides of them, she looked to also be wearing thick eyeliner now as well. Two dangling spikey cross earrings moved with her every step their ruby center catching his eye.

Twilight noticed his look and smiled nervously at him. “Rooming with the princess of the night for a few months gives you an interesting taste in clothing… I found out that the Goth look makes a great cover.” She explained with a small nervous smile at him. He collected himself at last and managed to form some words.

“A-actually… it doesn’t look so bad… on you at least.” He added scratching his cheek a little and looking away a bit when he felt them heat up.

“Awwww, Gelo is blushing! I think that means he likes you Twilight.” Pinkie teased eliciting quick denials from both of them and more blushing between them both. She giggled at their reactions and grinned at them. Before skipping up to the front counter and placing a pile of price tags on the counter. The cashier looked at her funny but recognized the clothing all three wore as the store’s brands. She totaled the purchase and Pinkie placed a gold coin on the counter which made the woman’s eyes widen in shock. She examined it closely and bit it to see if it would bend. When she determined it was real she sputtered at the girl. Pinkie looked over her shoulder at Gelo. “Hey Gelo, how do you say keep the change in Italian…?”

“Tieni il resto”

“Tieni il resto” Pinkie repeated to the lady before hopping out of the store with her two companions close behind. Once outside it was Angelo’s turn to ask a question.

“Where did you get that kind of money Pinkie…?” he asked the girl curious as to how she got a hold of such a rare currency. Pinkie giggled and reached into her purse pulling out a jingling coin sack.

“Me and Twiley have LOADS of them, as for how we got them… well it’s a long story. Maybe we can tell you over lunch?” she offered pointing at a restaurant across the street. Angelo felt his stomach rumble and quickly brought a hand to it.

“I… think I’d like that.” He replied with a small yet genuine smile on his face. It made Pinkie grin in response. He was opening up and starting to have fun! She did a mental victory dance as she bounded across the street to the restaurant.

While he walked Angelo felt something on his forehead tingle. His hand went up to it in response and he felt himself dizzy a little making Twilight catch him before he could fall in the middle of the empty street. “Are you okay Angelo…?” the magic user asked the boy. He recovered quickly and nodded as he righted himself.

“Yes… I just got a little bit of a headache all of a sudden… I must be a little hungrier than I thought.” He lied quickly. Twilight bought it as they approached the restaurant and he let his hand remain on his forehead his fingers brushing along the slightly raised surface of the hidden crest beneath his hair. His grandfather’s words rang in his ears.

‘You are a goddess sent messenger Angelo… as such you bear the same title of her own daughters. You are above everyone else, but if they knew that you would be taken away from this place… do you want to be taken away child…?’

‘No grandfather…’ a much younger Angelo replied.

‘Good, remember, they cannot know of your true nature. As such you will leave by these two rules… you will never leave this sanctuary. For here you are safe from the outside world. And second, you will never EVER reveal your crest and wings at the same time… am I clear?’

‘Yes sir…’

Angelo let his hand fall to his side as he looked at the two girls who now sat across from him in the booth they sat at. ‘They can’t know… I’ll protect them from the truth… it would only make them sad. And grandfather will be more forgiving if I don’t tell them everything… but I will have this day… just this one day to be an ordinary boy, with ordinary friends.’ He thought before a genuine smile crossed his lips and he looked down at his menu to decide what he wanted to order.


***~~~ Okay, hold your shit people. Yes, that IS an alicorn OC I just through into the mix. Is he going to be a main part of this story? No. He will be here for two, three chapters tops and then he will dissapear into the void only to be mentioned in the very distant future. He was a nessisary plot device and I for one am not against Alicorn OC's as long as A. It is NOT a self insert... quite frankly I dislike those, unless it's a part of the fourth wall breaking joke, then it's just funny. And B. The entire story does not revolve around this OC. Angelo follows these two rules so I let him come into existance. Now cool your shit and wait for the next part. I'm still editing it but as with all my chapters that are split up it should be released soon after this one. That is all, carry on.~~~***