• Published 20th Dec 2012
  • 2,357 Views, 111 Comments

A Unicorn's Requiem - CaramelSwirls



Twilight Sparkle is practicing transformation spells one day when she messes up and unintentionally kills a good friend. What is Twilight to do now? How can she live with herself?

  • ...
5
 111
 2,357

Chapter 3: The Misfortunate Visit to the Doctor

Chapter 3: The Misfortunate Visit to the Doctor

Running… Panting… Sweating…

The next thing I knew my body was encompassed with fear as I sprinted through the forest. I whipped my head behind to find nopony behind me. My eyes welled up with tears as I looked forward again to find Spike pulling my arm through the forest.

“Spike! Where are we going? What happened?” I screamed.

His face was full of worry and I could sense all his emotion in my body. He seemed as if he were crying.

“Spike! What’s wrong? Are you okay?” I screamed hoping he was okay. I begged to see his cheerful face again. “Spike!” I screamed so loud the crows in the trees flew away. The whole world stopped around me and all that was left was Spike and I. The forest disappeared out of focus and all I could see were his painful eyes speaking to me. Silently pleading for my help. He needed me and I needed to help him no matter the price. Just seeing his sorrow numbed my whole body so all I could feel was the painful throbbing of my heart.

“Spike…What’s wrong…?” I collapsed onto the grass, panting and wheezing from the rigorous exercise.

His eyes stared blankly at me a moment as I clutched onto my chest in a futile attempt to suppress the pain. “Oh, Twilight. We got to keep moving or she’ll find us. She’ll take me away from you! She’s a non-believer!” Spike said anxiously, trying to suppress the tears.

“Who…?” I silently whispered as images of the whole ordeal flashed quickly in my mind. The past few moments began replaying in my mind like a movie.

Stop. Rewind. Replay.

There I was…Trudging along through the woods—Spike’s seemingly lifeless body in my arms. Tears stained my purple face as I tried to continue onward.

“Just a little but longer Spike…Hang in there buddy. I know someone who can fix you right up…” A slight smile snuck its way onto my face severely contrasting with my painfully saddened eyes.

I trudged along the forest terrain until I reached a straw shack in the middle of the forest.

“Look buddy, we’ve made it… You’ll be all better soon enough. I told you I’d never let anything happen to you…”

I knocked on the door. My knees gave out beneath my weight as the door slowly opened in front of me.

“Oh, a pony I see! What, perhaps, would bring you to me?” The most peculiar creature opened the door before me. The light shined on her foreign black and white striped body, giving her an angelic look. She was most certainly meant to be my guardian angel. Her golden bangles glistened and I wept at the joy of seeing her.

“Oh, Zecora! You must help me! Spike is extremely ill! He hardly spoke all day. He wouldn’t even eat the delicious pancakes I made him this morning. All he did all day was stare out into the abyss. It’s as if he’s in a trace. Yet, no one in ponyville will believe me! And worst of all, I can’t find anything like this in any of my magic books,” I pleaded to the magical zebra, begging on my knees for her help.

“Oh,Twilight my dear. How pale you appear. Come in, come in. You are so thin! Lie down! Rest that frown!” Zecora motioned me into her home and sat me down on her couch. She quickly moved to her teapot and made me a cup of herbal tea. She then draped a blanket around my shoulders and sat across the table from me.

“Now about this friend you love. Where is this Spike you speak of?” Zecora inquired.

“Huh? What do you mean, ‘where is he?’ He’s right here…” I replied pointing towards Spike, who precariously placed beside me on the couch.

“What do you speak of my dear? For I see no one here,” Zecora said.

I gasped, “Not you too Zecora! He’s right here! Why won’t anyone stop this foolish game! He’s severely sick! If he doesn’t get help right away he might…Might…” I broke down as tears profusely streamed my face at the thought of even losing him.

Zecora stared at me peculiarly as her face shone. “ I see your plight. I know of a thing that should work quite right.”

Zecora got up out of her seat and walked over to a huge black pot full of some mysterious green liquid. I carefully watched her as she put in some foreign ingredients I had never seen in all my years of magic. She stirred them together and after a few moments, she poured the precarious liquid into a cup and handed it to me.

“If Spike drinks this…Will he be okay?” I skeptically asked, smelling the liquid in fear it was poison.

“Oh, no my child. It is not vile. Drink up! Drink the whole cup!” Zecora happily announced.

“Wait…Me? You want…Me…To drink…This? But…But what about Spike!? He’s the sick one! Not me!” My breaths grew shorter as my heart raced. My body began shaking rapidly at this strange accusation.

“Hush my child. Don’t be so wild. Spike will be cured. You should be reassured,” Zecora said in a motherly tone as if speaking to an infant.

“Twilight…Don’t listen to her. How could she possibly cure me if YOU’RE the one taking the medicine? Don’t fall for her fancy tricks. She’s against you like everypony else. She’s feeding into their lies and trying to tear us apart,” Spike tried persuading me.

“You’re right…That makes no sense…” I replied.

Zecora looked at me querulously, “Twilight—“

“No! Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!” I screamed. I was irate with anger. How could she try to fool me? How could she and everypony else in Ponyville be so against me being friends with Spike? Why did they all of a sudden change?

Zecora stood up and began walking towards me.

“Twilight don’t let her touch you! She obviously tried to poison you with that disgusting green drink! Everyone’s just jealous of our friendship! Prove to me I am you’re best friend! Prove them wrong! Prove that I’m still alive and well! Defend you’re best friend!” Spike urged me.

Zecora put her hoof on my shoulder and I slapped it away, the teacup falling and shattering onto the floor in a million pieces.

“You lying whore! How dare you try to poison me! That’s right! I know all about you’re plan! Spike told me the whole thing! How dare you think you could get away with murder!” I screamed over the now cowering zebra. The tears flooding down her horrified face made me burst out into maniacal laughter. I felt my pupils grow huge as Spike voice grew louder and louder, ringing in my head. My furry was raised to the roof as I heard my voice echo in the meek little shack. I saw Zecora frantically search the room trying to grab something.

“She’s trying to get more of her crazy voodoo witchcraft! Twilight stop her! You must kill her or she will kill you!” Spike screamed.

My breath grew heavy and my heart began racing out of my chest. The sound of it’s beating grew so loud, it was the only thing I could hear. You can do this Twilight. Do it to save yourself—Do it to save Spike!

I quickly scanned the room to see Zecora crawling towards a wooden totem pole. I stomped on her hoof, crushing it beneath my weight and snatched the totem pole from her grasp. I lifted it up and began mercilessly bludgeoning her to death. Her shrill screams could be heard throughout the forest as her blood began painting the walls. The limbs contorted and began sticking out at unimaginatively grotesque angles. I could feel the fear and pain in her eyes as I coldly stared her down. It appeared every last bone in her body was broken yet, I could still hear her managing to breathe. Taking advantage of her weakened, defenseless state, I dragged her helpless, beaten body across the room and outside. I grabbed a shovel and began digging a deep hole into the ground. Her eyes just stared at me, awaiting her inevitable demise.

“Wow Twilly! Who would’ve thought you had it in you. I’m so proud. Now I never have to leave you,” Spike exclaimed while giving me a huge hug.

I hugged him back and caressed his spikes for a few moments as I enjoyed the bliss of being able to continue my friendship with him. I went back to digging and after some time, I had a large enough hole to fit her body. I could still somehow manage to hear her breathing and glared over at her. Her eyelids flickered, not being able to fully close as I saw her eyes roll into the back of her head.

“Twi-,” I heard the malicious zebra plead.

I leaned over and pinched her face with my hoof.

“What? What could you possible want you disgusting, pathetic excuse for life—you filthy scum of the earth? I hope you suffer. I hope you suffer a lot for the heinous sins you committed,” I told her.

I threw her head onto the ground as a pool of blood poured out. I dragged her limp body across the grass and threw it into the hole like a ragdoll. I then began shoveling dirt over her still conscious body. Her breathes grew shorter and shorter—her whines quieter and quieter as more dirt toppled onto her. I heard her cough and choke on the dirt I shoveled into her mouth and once the entire hole was covered, I collapsed laughing in relief.

“Oh, Spike! I did it! I did it for us!” I screamed in laughter.

“Oh, Twilly! What are you doing? We have to go! She might still be after us!” Spike shouted.

“Who? I already killed the wench!” I quizzically inquired.

“So? With her voodoo magic you never know! Plus, if anyone were to come back they’d know for sure it was you!” Spike yelled.

Spike grabbed my hoof and began running in fear.

Flash!

I warped back to reality.

“Twilight! We have to go back to Ponyville! We’ll be safe there,” Spike said, grabbing my hoof once more and leading me towards the sunset and into Ponyville.