• Published 19th Dec 2012
  • 2,341 Views, 64 Comments

Better Than Best - Signas



No matter how amazing and talented a pony may be, she will always be missing at least one aspect required to be "perfect". Lightning Dust, believing herself to already be the pinnacle of ponykind, struggles to find the missing pieces.

  • ...
2
 64
 2,341

Ch. 5 - Mailmare Extraordinaire

Ditzy calls this a storm? Are you kidding me?

Just as my Ponyville compatriots had promised, there was certainly a storm brewing in the quiet town. Well, not really a storm; it was more like some slightly rough wind with grey clouds. I guess other ponies may have different criteria for weather, because I don't consider it a real storm until somepony can get killed. At least the mail delivery job would be easy, it just wouldn't be... you know, fun.

Despite being a grey pegasus on a grey day, Ditzy wasn't too difficult to find. I had expected her to be hanging around in, you know, a post office, but there she was just lounging around on a bench. It's no wonder Applejack's mail was late the other day. Oh well, that's why I was there.

"Hey, Bubble Butt!" Ditzy nearly jumped right out of her seat; it would have been hilarious, except she probably would have dropped the letters everywhere. Then it would be hysterical. "Those letters aren't gonna deliver themselves, you know! Don't wait on my account!"

"Oh, hey there Lightning Dust." Her voice was a little muffled, due to half of her face being shoved in one of her two mailbags. "I was just separating the letters into two bags, and organizing them by address." To prove it, she transferred a small mouthful of letters from the larger bag to the smaller one sitting next to her.

"Really? What for? Can't you just shove a pile into the other bag and call it good?"

"If they're organized, we won't have to dig through as many letters at each house," Ditzy said through another mouthful of letters. "It will save a little bit of time, and we'll need as much time as we can get."

So she was taking maximum efficiency into consideration. Not bad; maybe I was underestimating her. "What do we need time for?" I took a seat next to her, shoving the small bag to the side. "Not like there's a storm or anything."

"No storm? Looks like one to me..." Obviously, my sarcasm was completely lost on her. "And, well... I don't know how much experience you have, so I'll need some time to show you the ropes."

Oh. Oh shit. It turned out I wasn't the only one doing some underestimating. "I don't know who you're calling 'inexperienced', but I don't think it takes a whole lot of practice to throw some paper around."

"There's more to it than that, Lightning." Ditzy didn't seem to be taking me seriously, since she just sort of smiled at my comment. Not cool. "You have to be able to read addresses, deliver telegrams, stay off of lawns..."

"Ditzy, we have wings. If we're touching the ground, we're doing something wrong."

"Not necessarily," she replied, getting off of the bench. "Sometimes it's nice to just take a walk. We don't always have to fly; in fact, it's usually more relaxing."

"Okay, that doesn't make any sense. What's the point of going through all the trouble to separate these letters if you don't even care how fast you go?"

"It's not about speed, Lightning. It's about doing a good job."

"And doing a good job is about... Argh!" I couldn't take much more of that. She was just spewing crap at that point; honestly, I should have been the one "showing her the ropes". In fact, that's exactly what I was going to do. "Alright, Cross-Eyes," I yelled, grabbing the larger of the two mail bags, "I'm gonna show you how a real pegasus works. See that block of houses over there?" I pointed towards several houses stretching into the near distance. "I'll take the left side, you take the right. First pony who reaches the end of the block and delivers to each house, wins all the glory and will not be labelled a complete loser."

"Um, Lightning, I-I'm actually supposed to take that bag..."

"What, you don't think I can handle this many letters?" Nopony underestimates Lightning Dust. Especially not lazy mailmares. "If you're a real pegasus, you'll grab that sack and get your flank to the starting line." To my surprise, Ditzy actually stood by my side at the start of the block. I had honestly expected her to weasel her way out of it; I guess even chumps have their pride.

I mentally prepared myself for the challenge ahead. There were about ten houses on each side, possibly more after that. Although I wasn't too worried about it, I figured it couldn't hurt to observe my competition's strategy. Ditzy's plan of attack, from what I could tell, was shifting awkwardly and mumbling something about trading bags. Sheesh, she was really hung up on that bag. OCD much?

"On your mark... get set..."

And we were off. Well, okay, I was off. Ditzy took off like a sack of potatoes, but that wasn't my problem. Wind tearing at my face, I blasted towards my first target. Mailbox in sight, preparing for landing. Using my wings as a parachute of sorts, I drifted into a smooth stop in front of House Number One. "Alright, first letter is a go..." Reaching into the sack, I pulled out the letter on top of the pile. "Five one nine, Daffodil Square. Which should be right... wait." Looking at the letter, and comparing its information to the numbers on the mailbox, something wasn't quite adding up. "First letter is NOT a go! Ditzy!"

I glanced behind me and, sure enough, Ditzy was just dawdling along. "Ditzy, this letter says five one nine, but the mailbox says five one eight! What gives, I thought you organized these!" Just then, I noticed that I was looking directly behind me. "And get on your own side, you cheater!

"I am on my side!" She reached into her own bag and pulled the first letter out. "See, this one is for five one nine! You're on the wrong side!"

"Oh... well, you could have said something!"

"Sorry..."

"Ugh, forget it." It was a minor setback, I was still going to win. With a quick wing beat, I propelled myself across the dirt road, directly in front of the actual correct building. If there's one thing I do well, it's make the best of a bad situation. There's no such thing as a "bad start" for Lightning Dust.

The rest of the run went smoothly, although I was quickly finding that mail delivery required far too much stopping. My wings were starting to get a little sore from all of the brakes I had to pull. Then came House Number Seven. "Alright, seventh letter is a... hold it." I was in front of the correct house, at least according to the number pattern. There was absolutely nothing that should have gone wrong with that delivery and yet, an extremely vital component of the process was missing.

"Ditzy!" I turned around just in time to catch the speck in the distance perk what were probably her ears. I was gonna need to be louder than that, but as it turned out, yelling was yet another of my amazing talents. "Ditzy!"

That got her attention. "Yes?!"

"This house doesn't have a mailbox!"

"Which house?!"

"Uh..." I quickly glanced at the letter in my hoof. "Five three one!"

"What?!"

"FIVE! THREE! ONE!"

"Oh! You have to go to the door!"

"That's stupid!"

"What?!"

"I said that's stu-"

"For the love of Celestia!" Suddenly, House Number Seven decided to join in the conversation, taking the form of an angry old dude yelling from the top floor window. "We are trying to sleep in here!"

"This is important business, sir!"

"Important my ass, just give me the damn letter!" As the surly fellow requested, I airlifted his mail to him. He could have been a little more polite about it, though. "I swear, you foals lose more brain cells every generation..."

"I'd rather lose my brain cells than hair follicles. OH SNAP." I would have stayed to see his reaction to my witty jab at his genetics, but I had a race to win. Luckily, the owners of the last few houses weren't too cheap to buy mailboxes. Soon enough, I was at the end of the block, with yet another fully expected victory under my metaphorical belt. "See that Ditzy? What did I tell you?"

Ditzy did not see that, as it turned out. I don't think she could have seen anything, because I sure as heck couldn't see her. "Geez, how in the world is she going so slow? This is easy!" I waited around for at least one minute, but there was still no sign of that slowpoke. Maybe the weather actually got bad and I didn't notice? I looked up at the sky; still nothing to write home about. "Wow, Ditzy. How in the world do you even still have this job?"

Well, I wasn't about to wait longer than I needed to. There were letters to deliver and ponies to see. Specifically, ponies who may or may not have been monster-busting heroes at some point in their lives. Preferably a unicorn, with a possibility of high-quality posterior value.


"Wow, it's like she intentionally gave me letters for all of the town's most generic citizens." I was over three-quarters of the way through the bag, and hadn't seen even one noteworthy pony. Okay, there was one pony actually named Noteworthy, but for once, the name did a crummy job of describing the owner. I swear, it was like I saw the same ponies in multiple houses. Not only that, but most of the houses I ended up at didn't even have mailboxes. There were letters addressed to tents. Like, tents that you camp in. I was afraid a freakin' gypsy would pop out and cast a spell on me. And don't even get me started on the one addressed to the Everfree buckin' Forest. There was a zebra there, though, so that was kind of cool.

But things were about to take a turn for the sexy, because I had just made it to the dwelling of the lovely Lady Rarity. And this time, maybe I wouldn't make a complete creep of myself! "Get ready Rarity, because I'm about to shove my letters right in your mailbox." Okay, doing my best Apple Fritter impression was not the correct way to avoid creepiness.

On top of that, Rarity didn't have a mailbox. Normally that would have annoyed me, except that now it meant I had to talk to her face to face, and with an actual excuse. "Alright," I said, reaching into my sack of goodies, "what sort of mail do I have for... Cherry Berry?" That had to be a mistake, because the letter should have said "Rarity" on it. I took out the letter under it; sure enough, it was addressed to "Roseluck".

"But the numbers are still in the right order. The only one missing is... oh." Of course. It all made sense. "Oh, okay. Ditzy, you sneaky bitch." Whatever, there wasn't much I could do about it. It's not like Ditzy would be getting that letter to her until a week later anyway. It was time to move on.

The rest of the mail route went the same as before; nothing even remotely interesting happened. I even tried tossing letters into the mailboxes from a distance, but the admittedly strong wind was throwing off my aim. I guess Mr. Greenhooves wouldn't be getting his bills this month.

I had to be getting close to the end, because the route was starting to take me out into a field. Sure enough, I only had two letters left. "Alright, let's get this over with. House Number Stopped Counting Two Hours Ago is for..." I did a double take at the letter's address. My attention then shifted to the overdecorated cloud house floating way up in the sky. There shouldn't have been anything startling about it; I mean, I already knew that Rainbow Dash lived in Ponyville, but actually seeing her house there was really getting me pumped. Even though she wouldn't be there, of course.

Still, I hauled flank towards that ridiculous-looking cloud house like nopony's business. "Geez, where's the door on this thing?" No, really, this house had a pile of crap on it that it really didn't need; I'd like to know where Dash found the bits to get her own rainbow rivers. Despite the extra features and my complaining, however, finding the door was much easier once I got a little closer. That just left one major obstacle.

"No mailbox, no Rainbow Dash... where the hell am I supposed to put this letter?" And then it hit me. There I was, standing in front of Dash's house, with a letter for Rainbow Dash, and a civil duty to make sure she received it. Logically speaking, I had every right to be in that building; no, it was in my temporary job requirement to be in that building. I pushed the door gingerly, but it was a no go... until I remembered that I'm Lightning Dust, and this house was made of clouds.

"Oh look, Rainbow Dash forgot to lock her door. Oops." I'd fix the door later; for now, I had business to take care of. The inside of her house was actually a bit more humble than the outside. It also seemed a lot smaller, but pretty damn cozy. Cloud houses are comfortable as heck, and I'm still pissed that those lawyers wouldn't let me set one up in Canterlot. Anyway, the first floor had basic commodities such as a chip-covered sofa, a sink full of dirty dishes and, of course, a microwave as the only cooking apparatus; a closer look revealed that Dash apparently doesn't cover her spaghetti when she nukes it. Ah well, we can't all be as cleanly and meticulous as Lightning Dust.

Her magazine-covered coffee table was as good a place for a letter as any. I considered mixing it in with the other junk lying around, to maybe conceal the fact that I had broken into her house, but in the long run it wasn't really a big deal. She'd probably just assume it was Ditzy, and I could totally see that weirdo burglarizing her friends. Well, that was easy, time to go. There was still one question, though; was it really time to go? After all, there was still one floor left to be explored, and I was already in the house.

The top floor had only two rooms; the bathroom, and Dash's bedroom. I felt that invading the privacy of another mare's bathroom was in pretty bad taste; I know there's stuff in my bathroom I don't want other ponies to see. Besides, the other option was bound to have more interesting stuff to look at. Upon entering the bedroom, I immediately realized how right I was. You could tell she was a Wonderbolts fanatic, what with the posters of Captain Spitfire and the rest of them all over the place. She even had that pinup of Fleetfoot from a few months back, probably for dubious purposes. And I can't blame her.

Then I saw it, sitting on the nightstand next to her bed. A little blue book with Dash's cutie mark drawn on it. "Now Lightning Dust. You can do a lot of things, and you can do them well," I told myself as I slowly approached my prize, "but would you really read another mare's diary?" It was a moral dilemma, probably the most difficult one I'd ever faced. The answers to all my problems could be sitting right there, literally written into the pages of that book for me to read. All I had to do was violate the most sacred law of fillyhood since the beginning of time. Was I despicable enough to do that, after having already invaded my wing pony's privacy?

Buck yes.

Those pages were flung open so fast I thought they would tear right out. My anticipation was boiling; it wasn't quite the same as talking to Dash, but it was pretty damn close. There were probably all sorts of things in there that she wouldn't want to tell me even if I asked, so in a way, it was better. "Let's see, what's this one say..."

Today was Winter Wrap Up. Ditzy took the birds the wrong way. What a feather brain. It was awesome.

That entry was less than useful, although I could totally see Bubble Butt doing that. Moving on...

I went to the Gala. It was lame because the Wonderbolts didn't notice me, and now I won't be the captain. But I got to eat donuts with my friends, so it was awesome.

Well, that explained how Joe met Dash and her friends. The Wonderbolts comment was interesting, but other than that, still nothing particularly telling.

I beat up Discord with my friends. He was a jerk but we used the elements to beat him. It was awesome.

"Wait, isn't Discord just a fictional monster used in swears and stuff?" The more you know, I suppose.

Rarity went to a Wonderbolts show in Canterlot. I'm jealous because Fleetfoot won. Fleetfoot's a hottie and also awesome.

Looking at the pinup just over my bed, I couldn't help but agree with her. The crude drawing of Fleetfoot under the entry was a little unnecessary, though.

Spitfire watched me do the annual tornado. It almost got messed up, but Fluttershy came and everything went okay. Spitfire said I was cool, so maybe I'll be the captain someday. That would be awesome.

Just like the other entry, Dash mentioned being the captain of the Wonderbolts. A pretty lofty goal, since not just anypony can get that good. But it was a goal nonetheless.

I sent in my application for Wonderbolt Academy today. I really really really really really really really REALLY hope I get accepted. I am awesome but I hope they think so too, because I really want to be captain someday. I've been working so hard this year because of this. I had a dream about being the captain and Spitfire said I was awesome and Fleetfoot gave me a kiss which was also awesome. Please please please let them accept me.

That was the last entry, and oh boy, was it a doozy. That page was pretty much exactly what I was hoping to find; Rainbow Dash's greatest desire. Her primary goal. From what I saw of her at the academy, she seemed like a pretty determined and talented flier, and she had mentioned becoming the captain someday, but I assumed it was supposed to be a joke or something. I didn't think she was serious; at least, not this serious. A quick scan of some pages I skipped over revealed that the word "captain" showed up in at least half of them.

This gave me something to work with. Dash was in the academy while I wasn't, but unlike before, I now had a visible level that I'd need to reach in order to get there. Dash was, somehow, at a level somewhere slightly above me, but the level of "captain" was still above her. Which meant that if I could somehow reach that level...

The wall's creaks were starting to show. Now I just needed the right tools for the job.


"Alright, and... done. Good enough." The door could have been less lopsided, but I'd like to see Ditzy do a better job. The sky was still pretty cloudy, but considering the time I had spent delivering mail and factoring in the half-hour I spent invading Dash's house, I'd say it was about midday. Not too shabby, seeing as how I only had one letter left to deliver. "Alright, and the lucky last letter goes to..."

Rarity.

"Wait, I DID have Rarity's letter!" It was completely out of order, but there it was on the bottom of the sack. "Why the crap was her letter buried under all of the... oh, wait a sec." Thinking about it, that made perfect sense. Ditzy had mentioned that this bag was for her; I assumed she was just being particularly anal, but Applejack's comments from the other day put it into perspective. "Wow, of course Ditzy would factor in her own creepiness. If that wasn't so sketchy, it would almost be cute."

Time waits for no mare, however, and neither does Lightning Dust. I was totally amped from reading Dash's diary, and with another shot at Rarity, it was only going to get better from there. Although I had to fly all the way back to the boutique, my excessive agility cut the time down by at least three quarters. I made sure to do a few flips before making a landing on her doorstep, just in case she was watching from a window or something. "Okay Lightning, time for round two." I knocked the buck out of that door. "Mail call!"

"Oh my, already?" The door swung open to reveal Rarity's beauty to the world once again. "I wasn't expecting the mail so-" I must have stunned her with my own charm, because she couldn't even bring herself to take the letter. That, or she hadn't forgotten about yesterday.

"Uh, hey Rarity!" Alleviating tension is something I do quite well; I grinned a bit to let her know that I came in peace. "I've got some mail for you!"

"Oh... I didn't realize you were a mail carrier."

"Well, actually, I'm not." Wow, I don't know what it is about Rarity, but anything I said somehow sounded creepier than it should have. She was all too aware of this, cocking an eyebrow and widening the distance between us. Crap, it was time to salvage this train wreck. "Okay, truth is, I'm helping Ditzy deliver some mail. I didn't mean to sound so creepy yesterday, it's just that I-"

"Oh, it's quite alright, darling."

"It is? I mean, I guess it wasn't a huge deal or anything, but it was sorta kinda really sketchy."

"I may have acted a little overly suspicious, and for that, I apologize. Besides," Rarity said, sighing in what I had to guess was exasperation, "at least you brought my mail on time, instead of standing around and watching my door for an hour."

Holy crap, an hour? "So you noticed that, huh?" I guess if it was a regular thing, Rarity would pretty much have to catch on eventually. What surprised me about it was just how much she knew.

"It's not as though I have anything against the poor dear, but..." Rarity sighed again as she glanced over the letter in her hoof. "Not to sound vain, but she clearly has some infatuation with me. I certainly hope that isn't the case, because..."

"Because?"

"Well... she just isn't my type, I suppose."

Ouch. I guess I should have seen it coming, but damn, I was glad Ditzy wasn't there to hear it. Otherwise, she'd probably go on a slasher rampage or something. Then again, rejection builds character.

Speaking of Ditzy...

"Hey, Lightning Dust!" Bubble Butt was just sort of moseying along, huge shock. "Did you get all the letters deli-... uh, h-hey there R-Rarity..."

"Yeah, Ditzy," I said, making sure to sound as condescending as possible, "I was just finishing up, actually."

"Sorry, I meant to have you take care of this bag," she whined, digging at the ground. "I even gave you Twilight and Pinkie's mail so you could meet them. W-Wait!" Suddenly she was right up in my face, apparently oblivious to the fact that Rarity was still standing there. "Do you still have Dash's letter?"

"Nah, I took care of it."

"You took care of it? But... I'm the only one with a key to her house." Oh crap. Telling her the truth would definitely not be the right choice, but there wasn't much I could say. Even Rarity was giving me another weird look; figures, just when things were starting to go good... Oh wait, that's right. I'm Lighting Dust. Of course I lied my way out of it. And oh, what a glorious, well-thought out lie it was.

"I slid it under the door."

"Oh, okay." Dodged a train there. And hey, even if Ditzy hadn't completely fallen for that lie, Rarity had my back.

"Oh my," she said, looking towards the space just behind Ditzy. "Fluttershy, darling, is that you?"

I squinted my eyes just right and... holy crap, there was an entire pony standing behind Ditzy. I didn't even notice her there; between the utter lack of presence and pointlessly long pink bangs, she was a wallflower to the extreme. I think she was trying to communicate, because she mumbled something that I doubt even Ditzy could have heard.

"Don't worry, Fluttershy." Ditzy gave her shy friend a little push forward. "This is Lightning Dust, the one I told you about. She's my new friend!"

Friend? I didn't recall telling her that we were friends. But hey, Fluttershy already had three things going for her; she was cute, a pegasus, and from what my memory of the previous night was telling me, a hero. That's like three strikes, but not against her. Or something.

"H-Hello. My name is Fluttershy, and it's wonderful to meet you, Lightning Dust." She was probably the most well-mannered pegasus I had ever met; however, politeness has no place in a meeting between our kind. No, there is only one true way for pegasi to judge each other's worth.

She backed away as I attempted to close the distance between us, sizing her up indiscriminately. "You fly?"

"Um... y-yes?"

"Sweet." I was already crouched into lift-off position. "Let's go a round, you and me."

I didn't think it was possible, but I somehow floored a pony just by talking to her. I would have added that to my list of awesome abilities, but I was more concerned about how one pegasus could possibly be so wimpy. Ditzy helped her back onto her hooves. "Sorry, Dust. She's a little shy."

"No kidding." I looked Fluttershy directly in the eyes. There were other ways to judge a pegasus without actually having it out. "What's your wing power?"

"I-Is there a reason you want to know that? I mean, if you don't mind me asking..." I didn't answer; I just fixed my stare on the quivering coward. She should have realized that this was the most important question she would ever be asked. Eventually, Rarity spoke up.

"Please, Lightning, there's no need to be so forward. If you absolutely must know," she said, placing a hoof around Fluttershy's shoulders, "it was a very respectable two point three."

"Two... two point three?" I was a little- no, a lot confused. Fluttershy was supposed to be a hero. Hell, Rainbow Dash's diary said she saved the annual tornado. Two point three wing power is not just pathetic, it's downright insulting to pegasi in general. I was pushing almost three wing power when I was five, and that isn't even factoring in that I was a complete badass even as a foal.

"Um, I'm sorry. I know it's bad."

"Bad doesn't even begin to describe it." I shrugged; we can't all be winners, after all. "But at least you're aware of your faults. That counts for something, right?"

"Lightning Dust, please!" Oops, I guess I pissed off Rarity. "Don't worry Fluttershy, we don't care about some silly wing power." She pulled the weakling into an admittedly adorable hug. "We love you the way you are!" Seeing the moment almost made me feel like a jerk, even though I was totally right.

"Yeesh, if she's one of Rainbow Dash's friends," I said to Ditzy, who was entranced by the adorableness, "how in the world does she keep up?"

Something about that seemingly simple question set off a trigger in Ditzy's brain. "Oh my gosh, I almost completely forgot!" While Fluttershy and Rarity snapped out of their little world to listen, Ditzy suddenly turned to me with a huge grin on her face. "Fluttershy got a letter from Rainbow Dash!"

"Okay. What does that have to do with me?"

"Apparently, the Wonderbolts have a show this Sunday in Canterlot." Ditzy was practically jumping up and down in excitement. "They're giving all the cadets the weekend off!"

"Which means..."

"Dashie is coming home! She said she'll be here on Friday, so you can ask her whatever it was you were trying to figure out! Isn't that great?"

It was great. Fantastic, even. It was basically the perfect solution to my issue... except for one thing; I already knew the solution. I didn't really need to talk to her anymore; what I needed was a way to solve the issue. I sort of felt like Dash wouldn't be able to provide that for me. She obviously wouldn't be too keen on helping another pony get good enough to be the captain of the Wonderbolts, and unless she could somehow toss me some loser ponies to train-

Wait.

A captain is somepony who shows other ponies how to do what they love, and do it well. At the academy, I had only been a lead pony; I did my job, but I wasn't responsible for the well-being of others. If I could get some bad fliers to suddenly be amazing, and find a way to show it off to the Wonderbolts AND Rainbow Dash, say, during a pre-performance opener...

Oh sweet Celestia, I just had the greatest idea in Equestrian history.

"...Hey, Dusty, why are you grinning like tha-"

"Rarity!" The mare in question flinched a bit; I guess I could have lowered my voice, but I was just way too excited. "If I give you some bits, could you throw together some custom-made uniforms?"

Rarity flipped her hair and huffed. "I do not 'throw together', but yes, I could fashion you some lovely suits."

"Perfect." I turned to the two pegasi, who looked as dumbfounded as one would expect from... well, them. "Say, ladies, I don't suppose you'd be interested in participating in something bucking amazing?"

They looked at each other apprehensively. "Uh, I guess so," Ditzy said, although fairly unsure of herself. "What is it?"

I took off into the air just above them. "Oh, you'll find out soon enough. Bring your best sweatbands and your A-games, and meet me at Sweet Apple Acres. On the double!" I would have waited for their reactions, but I was way too pumped. Everything was going perfectly, and if I-, I mean, we pulled this off, it would be insane.

I guess the "tools" weren't as hard to find as I thought they'd be.