• Published 23rd Dec 2012
  • 798 Views, 26 Comments

The Lyruminati - Silly Words



Lyra Heartstrings is a conspiracy theorist.

  • ...
2
 26
 798

It's Only in Your Mind

"Bon-Bon! Wake up!"

The earth pony mare groggily shifted her head to look at her clock. It read 1:27 am. Letting out a quiet groan, she turned over and slept on.

Or, she would have if her niece hadn't started pounding on the door. "Come on, auntie! This is important!"

I swear, I need to have a chat with Cream Filling and her husband about the upbringing of their daughter… "Fine, I'm up, Lyra. Come in."

The door opened and the mint-colored unicorn entered. Next to her a sparkly object levitated. It was made from the same material that coated the unicorn's horn. "Good! I'm here to save you from mind control."

Bon-Bon blinked. It was way too early for this. "This wouldn't be about the rain-trails again, would it? Because It's the middle of the night, and pegasi don't set up rainbows at this time. I should know, your research papers took up half of the living room."

"No, no. We're talking about a more serious form of mind control than mass acceptance. It even causes ponies to go completely against their character!"

"Lyra, how about we go through this in the morning?"

"That's just the mind control talking."

Bon-Bon watched as Lyra brought the object closer. It was a tinfoil hat. She remembered: "Hey, I was going to need that for wrapping tomorrow!"

Her appeal went ignored, as Lyra went on about as if she wasn't interrupted: "I mean, yesterday I saw Derpy, and I asked her if she'd want to go out for a muffin. She answered me that she didn't really like muffins!"

"It might just have been her twin sister, Bright Eyes."

"Well, she's not much of a twin if they're so different! But it's not all. And it all made me realize – there are aliens out there that toy around with our minds, and not even the princesses are safe!"

Bon-Bon felt the hat settle on her head. Lyra Looked pleased for a moment, but then frowned, looked at her covered horn, back at her aunt's head, at her aunt's hooves, and back at her horn. "Uh-oh. This might not be enough. I need to cover the body completely! But the foil is so brittle, what to do... Maybe a suit of iron over it?"

The earth pony had enough presence of mind to cut Lyra off of her tangent: "A tinfoil hat? Okay, I'm not an expert on magic, but I'm sure that's not going to protect anypony from anything."

"Oh, don't worry! I know this from a reliable source! Twilight Sparkle herself agreed!"

"She did?"

"Yeah! I met her on the street with a book. And Pinkie Pie talking by her side. So, one moment, when Pinkie took a breath- Well, it might have been a gasp, but that doesn't matter- I asked if tinfoil is enough to stop alien mind control magic. And she said 'Uh-huh.'"

Bon-Bon rolled her eyes. "I think you should just put more faith in the princess-"

"Haven't you been listening? I said she is affected as well!" Lyra closed on her aunt.

"Well excuse me for not being fully awake in the middle of the night," Bon-Bon deadpanned back.

Lyra stared back. "I really need a better way to block them off," she murmured, before raising her voice again. "But don't worry, aliens! I have your plan all figured out! I will make sure it fails! You will not abduct any more of our stallions! You will not force mares to do your perverted bidding! You keep your weird tentacle thingys to yourselves! I will be ready, and waiting, and if I ever see any one of you, reaching out with them, you can kiss them good-bye!"

Bon-Bon was shaken at the verbal onslaught. Her niece slowly retreated, their eyes locked. After a few breaths, the unicorn's attention shifted to somewhere out of the window.

"Oh dear! I am so stupid! How could I have trusted tinfoil to work, if Twilight said so! She might have been mind-controlled at the time! She might have even called them here of her own free will, actually! She's a total xenophile, did you know that? … I need to check something," she finally concluded, and, just like that, was off.

Bonbon stared numbly at the place her relative occupied a few moments ago.

"Wow. I've never heard a pony say 'I need to get laid' so desperately before."