• Published 7th Dec 2012
  • 2,315 Views, 64 Comments

Pony Tale: Journey of the Dark Arts - FlutterDash777



When Twilight discovers a spell that transforms her, what will become of her, and Equestria?

  • ...
9
 64
 2,315

The Advantages of Being an Alicorn

-The Advantages of Being an Alicorn

The enlightened Twilight Sparkle trotted around her library. Her searching was not to end until she retrieved what she was indeed trying to find. Her mane was tangled slightly, and her eyes were rounded with dark circles resting under them. She was truly frustrated. Her nights had been unpleasant, and brief, and she couldn't seem to fall into that deep desired sleep. Her brain was racked with questions about a particular magic that just seemed to not be very agreeable with her. No matter how hard she tried, she could not in the name of Celestia, transform an apple into a simple orange!

Her options were up, and she was completely overwhelmed with her failing attempts. Her eye slightly twitched as she continued to pace the floorboards. She accidentally turned a bird, and a frog into an orange, due to Pinkie's rambunctious self. So why was it so difficult to do the same on an apple?

Twilight's ordeal wasn't much of an ordeal after all, but to her it was the end of Equestria. Over one little trick she couldn't eat, or sleep. Spike was starting to notice Twilight's odd behavior, but he was too wrapped up in errands for Rarity to actually ask Twilight if she was alright.

Twilight's exaggerations were driving her little purple self insane. She was starting to feel her blood pressure rising, and as soon as the door to her library slammed open, she was positive it had.

A little hyper, pink earth pony busted into Twilight's home without hesitation. She hopped on in, and with a smile greeted Twilight.

Pinkie Pie suddenly took a good long look at Twilight, and realized that she was extra crazy looking today. She gasped a little more than she needed, and her pink mane bounced.

"Twilight are you okay?! You look silly!" Pinkie softly snorted. Twilight was not the slightest amused by this, but she was quite pleased that somepony dropped by to check up on her.

"Oh I'm fine....except for the fact that I'm magically losing my touch! I can't even do a simple spell. Not one! It's driving me crazy! I don't know what to do! I've read all the books on simple spells, and increasing magical skill, but nothing is working!" Twilight breathed heavily. She clenched her teeth, and her eyes became beady.

Pinkie Pie looked at Twilight. Her mouth was open slightly, and she flicked her ear. She looked passed Twilight at all the books that were scattered about the ground. Piles and piles of books were disorderly stacked upon each other. The pink party pony observed the stacks carefully, and contently.

"Then what's this!?" The pink pony rushed behind Twilight to a mound of books, and grabbed one that was stuck under a pile, and was hidden slightly behind the bookcase. Pinkie Pie held out a black book in Twilight's face. It was a book that Twilight had never seen before. The cover was old looking, and was lined with a golden plate. The center piece was of a golden alicorn. The title was Dark Arts.

Twilight looked uncertainly at the book. She was very skeptical of it for it seemed a tad bit sketchy. But reluctantly, Twilight reached her hoof from Pinkie, and started turning through the pages. Pinkie did always seem to find helpful books at the most needed times. Twilight suddenly slammed it shut, and tucked it under her leg.

"Thank you for pointing this one out, Pinkie. It seems quite promising. I hope it does help me with my situation." Twilight gave a sheepish smile to the earth pony who started to bounce up and down.

"Oh you're very welcome! I hope it works out too! That would be great, you know?" Pinkie smiled as largely as her muzzle made possible.

"Mhm...yeah." Twilight timidly swallowed, and looked at Pinkie with a fake grin.

Pinkie, oblivious to Twilight's silent plea for her to leave, started to laugh.

"Ahah.....Would...ahah....would you like to go to Sugar Cube Corner with me...ahaaha..." The pink pony tried to control her giggles as she continued to bounce.

Twilight looked around hopelessly. She searched for a way to let the pink pony down easily.

"Um....I'm terribly sorry, but I have a lot of work to catch up on for my studies..." Twilight attempted to laugh, but aimlessly failed.

Pinkie suspiciously looked at Twilight's obviously fake smile, but then returned her with a larger smile than before.

"Okie dokie loki then! Your studies come first, of course!" Pinkie looked at Twilight with caring eyes before she headed out the door.

"Wait, Pinkie!" Twilight called out.

Pinkie stopped halfway through the door, and turned her head to Twilight. Her puffy pink mane swayed to the side.

"Yes?" Her blue eyes lit up, and her teeth shinned a blinding white.

"What did you come here for? Just wondering.." Twilight let out a slight giggle of her own, and rubbed her leg with her right hoof.

"Oh nothing really, just wanted to check on my bestist, and goodist friend!" Pinkie giggled, and she playfully drew one hoof up in the air.

Twilight felt herself blush. She embarrassingly turned her head over, letting her mane cover up her shameful red cheeks.

"Well thanks for thinking of me, Pinkie." Twilight said in response, she then quickly turned around to her books as if she were studying. She waited until she heard the door close behind her, and then she turned her head to the window next to the door. Twilight could slightly see Pinkie hopping away. She felt herself softly smile as she watched her friend.

'Whoa whoa whoa Twilight, focus!'

Twilight shook her head of all thoughts, and returned to thinking about her magic. She lifted the dark book from under her arm, and swiftly studied the cover. She lined the sides with her hooves, and then set the book down, and she began to turn its pages.

She flipped through the first couple of pages. The spells were all quite odd, and unfamiliar to Twilight. Resurrecting, destroying, killing, restoring, taking, giving, loving, hating.....

She kept on turning the pages rapidly as the spells got more deeper, and deeper. She turned one more page, and she stopped. The title of this spell caught her little eyes. Ultimate Power. Power, magic! It was what Twilight was searching for all along! An increase in her magical abilities. Twilight studied the page, she read every word.

The ultimate sacrifice must be made, to hold the power that you seek. To gain a pegasi's wings, and a unicorn horn's peak. If you want to gain the skill, and magical abilities of a goddess or god. All that's needed is to cast the spell of a dark odd.

Twilight looked peculiarly at the words she was reading. It sounded like something Zecora might say except Twilight couldn't translate a word from it.

Under the rhyme Twilight could see the recipe for a magical spell. It looked extremely difficult to do. What was it for anyways? Twilight read farther along the spell until she reached where it described what it would do exactly.

The spell that has been desired by pony folk for all the ages. The spell that transforms oneself into the most powerful form of all ponies. A transformation spell that turns one into an alicorn. The individual is given unspeakable powers, and is level with the most highest form in all of Equestria.

Twilight was now completely intrigued by this spell. Although it looked extremely hard to accomplish, Twilight was sure that if she tried hard enough she would be able to do the spell. It would just be for practice of course! She would even write a special letter to the princess telling her that she was able to temporarily turn herself into a powerful alicorn! Princess Celestia would be so proud of her! Twilight would be the most high ranked unicorn in all of Equestria if she were able to pull this magic off! She was confident in herself.

Twilight set the black book down on her podium, and read over the casting spell several times. She concentrated all her thoughts into her magic, as she prepared her body for this powerful, and dangerous spell.

"You can do this Twilight! Just think of how the princess will react when you tell her that you can transform into an alicorn like herself. She would be so impressed with you! And besides, it would be pretty cool to be able to see how it's like to be an alicorn, even if it is only for a short period of time." Twilight smiled with confidence. She was prepared to perform this spell that would most definitely change her life.

As Twilight started to perform the spell, she was unaware of the dangers that she was going to face. Twilight's life was indeed about to change, for better or for worse.