• Published 2nd Dec 2012
  • 6,845 Views, 132 Comments

Young Sombra's Former Transgressions - Art Inspired



King Sombra is reborn as a young colt.

  • ...
25
 132
 6,845

Part Six: Week's end

Within the walls of Canterlot, Princess Celestia and her sister Luna stood within the room that was to be occupied by their soon-to-be guest, young Sombra. The door closed behind them, and for a moment, Celestia looked around hopefully. "Seems appropriate enough for him." She trotted forward, and more into the middle of the room. "Dim, red wall paper, a low bed, toys to play with..."

"We are... nervous about this."

Celestia walked around while she looked in Luna's direction. "Luna, I know you're unsure about this whole thing, but you should've seen him... and, please, don't talk like that. We've been through this dozens of times..."

Luna looked away, and didn't want to speak, but did anyways. "I know. It's just, King Sombra was a tyrant. Now, you expect everypony to be friends with him?"

Celestia stayed collected about this. "He's not king anymore, you know, and what's more important, Twilight's said he's seems to have started forgetting his time as ruler of the Crystal Empire. That's one thing I wanted to talk to you about while we're finishing up in here. I know it's a day early, but we've already got his room organized and accommodated for."

At that, Luna looked up. "You think it a good idea to just have him move in sooner than originally planned?"

Nodding, the sister commented, "Twilight doesn't know it, but the sooner we can get him nearer to you, the sooner you might be able to enter his dreams."

Luna seemed serious. "I just don't understand why I couldn't reach him the last few nights... It was as if one second he was standing right there, but then the next he's not even dreaming anymore. Hopefully having him within closer proximity will allow me the capability of connecting with him, so that we might investigate his memories."

Celestia placed a hoof on the open chest at the end of Sombra's bed. "His rise is a mystery, and nopony catalogued who he was before coming into the possession of such legendary power. He might not even truly be from the Crystal Empire."

Sighing, Luna agreed, "We shall have to see about it tomorrow night. Is there anything else that we need to address in here before we mail Twilight that letter?"

The two looked around. The bed, a relaxing blue color, was well made and welcoming. It was sure to be quite the change from the drab thing he'd been using back at Twilight's. Grey carpeting, a desk opposite the bed, and a regular wooden dresser next to that. He had his bathroom door to the far corner, and even a closet. Nothing was looked over.

"No, I think he'll enjoy it."

With the flick of a switch found on the wall, the fan and lightbulb overhead that the two had preferred to use mostly while working was turned of, and both sisters left quietly, Princess Celestia being the one to close the door behind them. Meanwhile, back at Ponyville, Twilight enjoyed a quiet morning all to herself. Young Sombra and Spike had spent most of last night playing hide and seek, a new game Sombra had never heard of before.

She glanced at one of her empty book shelves found at the base of the floorboards, and smiled while remembering how cute Sombra looked after discovering this hiding spot. Then, his shadow along the wall caught the corners her eyes. "Ugh," he groaned.

Sombra lingered on the stairs, still tired from last night's excitement. "Good morning young Sombra," Twilight cheerfully greeted upon him coming to the last step. "Hope you're ready for breakfast... You okay?"

She looked at him more attentively. He didn't seem at all awake, his eyes closed, and stumbling towards her. He soon stopped and sat down, looked at her with this dazed expression, and asked, "When are you going to let me go?"

Twilight blinked, and brought her clipboard over to take notes. "But, Sombra, I thought you liked it here."

He looked away, his eyes leaking purple aura. "I'm... not a morning pony." Even his tone brought back haunting memories of what little Twilight saw of King Sombra in his darkest form.

"Well," Twilight pressed. "Why do you wanna leave?"

"Because," he started quickly, but then fell silent for a second before speaking again, as if he'd forgotten. "Hmm... You know, I'm not oblivious as to what's happening."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean..." He cleared his soft, childish voice. "I know I did something really bad. I know... It's hard to make out, but I think I planned to come back, but something went wrong..."

Twilight finished for him, "And now you're a colt." She looked at him, focusing in on his eyes, hoping the aura that streamed from his eyes would end. "You have a chance to start over, and be somepony good. You shouldn't worry about the past, because that's not who you are anymore. Right?"

His face changed from anger to remorse. "It's not who I want to be... He scares me."

Twilight ventured, "Who?"

He looked up to Twilight, and said, "The dark king."

She nodded while smiling proud. At that time, Spike had woken up and was headed down the stairs. Twilight had heard him coming, so without further delay she began making breakfast for everypony including herself. She was so busy with doing this that she hadn't even seen the letter in clenched by his claw as she passed him by. Spike had to come into the kitchen and wave her down while at the same time trying to keep Sombra from distracting him.

"Oh, sorry Spike. From the princess?"

"Yeah," Spike replied.

She opened it quickly, read it, and then looked down at Sombra. "That's certainly earlier than expected."

"What is?" the young colt asked.

Twilight looked up at the ceiling in throughout for a second, but then stated, "You're not living here forever. You knew that, right?" She asked this with a hoof, as if she were offering him something.

He blinked. "I... guess?"

"Right, well, Princess Celestia and Luna are ready for you."

Spike seemed more surprised than anyone. "Really? Already?"

With a nod, the unicorn assured the two, "Says so right here. They'll be arriving around four o'clock today by carriage."

Sombra glanced away, more at Spike than anything else. "Great... Just when I was getting to like it hear."

Spike comforted his new friend with one arm, giving him a brotherly tug. "Hey, doesn't mean we won't see each other again, and we still have a few hours before her highness shows up. Why don't you and I play for a bit before you have to leave?"

Sombra grinned at the dragon. "Sure. Tell me about this game you called 'tag'."

Just before Twilight had turned back around to continue what she was doing, it clicked in her mind that the inside of the house wouldn't be the best place to allow them a game of tag. She could easily see in her mind either Spike or Sombra tagging one of her valuable, ceramic decorations. Needless to say, she had stopped them just in time, and told them to go play their game outside.

The sun was up enough, and in just a little bit, they'd come back in for hay bacon and flower omelets. Next time they'd leave to continue their playtime, however, three outside ponies would want in on the fun. Just as King Sombra had been tagged by Spike around the corner, he noticed a red maned filly with two others standing beyond the force field.

Curiously, Sombra ventured to ask, "Spike? Who're they? And what do they want?"