• Published 2nd Dec 2012
  • 6,845 Views, 132 Comments

Young Sombra's Former Transgressions - Art Inspired



King Sombra is reborn as a young colt.

  • ...
25
 132
 6,845

Part Three: Secret Weakness

Sombra's eyes opened sleepily as that infernal light started touching his face. Swishing the blanket off and looking around, the colt found he was still in this quirky treehouse, in Twilight's bed. Where was she? “She didn’t sleep in the same bed as me, did she?" Sombra asked, slowly becoming angered. "She better not have!”

He hopped down, and stood, looking around. "Okay... The door!"

He started up in a gallop, but was still highly unbalanced in his new body, and consequently tripped several times before getting slightly more used to things. Trying to use his dark powers wasn’t working, either. It’d seemed he was trapped within the room, for he was much too small to even reach the doorknob. He jumped, and leaped, but just couldn’t twist it. If he could just get close enough, maybe his aura would reach… Or, Twilight could come in right when he’s launching himself at the door again.

Catching him with a small flinch, he wrestled away from her and headed down the stairs. “Sombra,” Twilight said after being pushed aside.

“Stupid room! Ohhh, stairs! I love stairs…”

Twilight closed the door and made sure he was alright. By the time she got back down and into the lobby, he was on the kitchen table getting ready to jump at the fridge. “No!” Twilight cried. “Stop jumping!”

He looked at her, his purple eye-shadow disappearing. He got of the table, looking down with his typical scowl. “Err, I’m hungry,” he said.

“Yeah, Twilight!” Behind Sombra, Spike came in from the lobby. “I’m hungry too.” He looked at the colt with a smile. “Sup?”

Sombra returned the gesture with a hiss. “You and Sparkle are plotting against me! I’m leaving this house, and… and…”

Twilight brought forth the cookie jar that was momentarily hidden behind a cabinet drawer. Its inside glass texture was absolutely chock full of yummy, multi-flavored cookies. Some looked hard, and some seemed more gooey soft. It loomed close to him, Spike giggling at his tongue dropping out low, and then wafted the jar all the way up to the fridge. “Outta sight, outta mind… For now,” Twilight said, smiling.

From the other direction, two plates floated over surrounded by her aura. Decorating the plates, hot, steaming pancakes drizzled in syrup caught young Sombra's easily distracted attention. The smallest member of the household got two while Spike got three. Twilight having already eaten her breakfast only watched, curious as to how this young Sombra would react. Of course, Twilight had predicted the thousand year old colt not to know what this new food could possibly be. He started lifting the top layer, experimenting with it using his hooves. “What… is it?”

Twilight giggled. “It’s pancakes! You never had them before?”

“Most unusual… These are not what I saw earlier! Bring me the… uh…”

Spike offered, “The sweets?”

“Yes,” Sombra said with an evil smirk. “Bring me the sweets!” He chanted, ”Bring me the sweets!”

Twilight face-hoofed. “Spike, stop encouraging him.” She looked at Sombra. “Enough of that,” she said sternly. "Eat the pancakes first, and then you get what’s called a cookie.”

Sombra blinked, a confused look on his face. “What’s a cookie? I want those round things in that see through glass thing, up on that big box.”

Twilight shook her head, hiding a snicker. “That’s what cookie means. The sweet looking circles are cookies!” She smiled sheepishly, and Sombra rolled his eyes.

“Whatever,” he said. ”I just want them. Now.”

“Pancakes first.”

Spike spoke up finally. “It seems we have an impasse. The only way Sombra can enjoy dessert, or cookies is if he eats all his pancakes.”

Sombra looked down at the still steaming plate, the brown syrup sliding ever so slowly around the rim, and went to finally pick up his fork. It didn’t work, though. It slipped right through his aura. “What the?” he asked, raising an eyebrow. He tried it again, but it just kept falling back through and onto the table. Again and again he tried, but got nowhere. He looked at his breakfast, then at Twilight, and then at Spike chowing down on his, and sighed.

His horn slowly came down to the edge of the cake. With a tiny spark, he began magically cutting his food, catching the others’ attention. Once a perfect piece was sliced, he tried simply picking it up and tossing it in his mouth. Unfortunately, all he got was a mouth full of magic, something that actually doesn’t taste very good. Sombra spat it out, choking dramatically, and dropped from the table. Twilight and Spike simply watched like it was some sort of comedy show.

Once he got back up, Twilight and Spike stopped laughing, if only to give a small chortle or two while staring at his annoyed face. “Heh, you know Sombra,” Spike said. “You’re an okay guy.”

Sombra jumped off and away from the table with Spike following. As the dragon made a friendly move to wrap his arm around sombra’s shoulder, the colt snapped back, snarling, “Don’t touch me, lizard.”

“Whoa, hey, I’m just trying to make a new friend, you know?” Spike offered his claw. For some reason, Sombra looked at it funny, and appearing to Twilight that he was still trying to figure out the meaning of 'friend'. “... Don’t you know what friendship is, Sombra?”

He shook his head, glaring at Spike. Twilight brought forth a book and laid down on the couch, her hoof scratching the back of her neck. Spike decided it best to back off, and Sombra finally got a cookie after finishing his meal with Twilight’s help, of course. Every once in a while throughout the first day’s morning, Twilight would catch him trying to escape the house. She simply watched as dismay would again and again overtake Sombra upon him finding barriers everywhere. On the door, the windows, and even the chimney.

Until lunch time, Spike didn’t give Sombra much attention. The colt seemed preoccupied with staring at those cookies for a good, long while. Around eleven, Spike came around the corner only to walk right into Sombra's backside. He was bucked off, something Sombra probably should't have done. Spike hadn’t realized how Sombra had a plate of metallic armor overlaying his smoky coat before then, which Spike now realized was in fact remarkably well hidden by the cape. “Youch! Uhh, Twilight? You might wanna take a look at this.

"Take a look as what?" Twilight demanded before coming.

"Oh, just King Sombra's steel vest!”

After putting her book away, Twilight responded quickly by coming around the corner from the upstairs bedroom. “His what?”

Spike checked again. “Dude, how do you even walk in that thing?”

Sombra snatched his cape back, saying, “It’s light, and warm. Don’t touch it!”

Though Spike thought it would've been fun to hang out with Sombra, there was also the sense of Sombra being slightly too childish, and even bratty for him. Twilight came down stairs and inspected as well. Finding he had a rather sharp set of perfectly fitted armor, she thought it best to remove it. After all, what was the point of a kid like him wearing such harmful attire? Though he was reluctant at first, Twilight finally won by bribing him with his only known weakness... A cookie.