• Published 28th Nov 2012
  • 1,781 Views, 64 Comments

King Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bon - Fanon Canon



Love between two very different souls, and a nuclear scare. What could go wrong?

  • ...
7
 64
 1,781

Princesses and Politics

For Princess Celestia, supreme ruler over all of Equestria, she was facing a very different kind of crisis herself. Nothing too extreme, but it certainly had the potential to become just that, for what face the alicorn was nothing to do with the end of something, but rather the possible beginning of something. It all had something with the recently resurgent Crystal Empire, and just the mere thought of anything to do with that name was making Celestia worry endlessly, for she had not done something like what she was about to do with this brand new old nation.

She had worked herself up into such a state that is was hard to tell if it was the real refined and elegant Princess behind all these walls she had erected around herself. Celestia found herself pacing at an extreme pace around her throne room, finding that when she stood still, the butterflies in her stomach simply flew in some crazy kind of whirlwind. Attending to the Princess was her sister and fellow alicorn, Princess Luna, who was attempting to try and talk some sense into her or at least say something that would make her stand still, for her eyes were growing tired simply trying to keep up with the alicorn in motion.

“Maybe I should attend to the negotiations if you’re not feeling too well, sister?” Luna suggested, constantly rotating her head to keep Celestia within her line of sight.

Something in that notion must have resonated within the Princess, for she actually paused on the spot, before turning to meet her sister, face to face.

“Luna.” She began. “You know I can’t let you do that. If the crystal ponies do not meet with me face to face, then there’s no way they’re going to agree to our terms.”

“Well.” Luna began to counteract. “They’re not very likely going to anyway if you keep on acting like that.”

That was true enough, Celestia wanted to make a good impression for when the crystal ponies would be arriving, but as was obvious, she couldn’t seem to keep her emotions in check.

“Luna.” She said again. “It’s been a thousand years. You of all mares should be aware of the kind of change that can happen in a time like that.”

Luna didn’t need any prompting. She was all the more aware of how spending such a long time away isolated from society can do to just about any soul, and she shuddered to imagine if the crystal ponies were to exhibit the kind of changes that she had upon her return to civilisation.

“Is that what’s making you so worried?” She asked. “You think something like that gonna happen again, is that it?”

“Of course not.” Celestia exclaimed in resound astonishment. “Well… I hope something like that will not happen again.”

“Come on.” Luna replied quite optimistically. “There crystal ponies, not crystal unicorns or pegasi, what’s the worse they can do.”

Celestia simply gazed at her sister through her single pupil, the other covered by her flowing mane. It seemed all too obvious that the ruler of Equestria did not share her sister’s dismissal of what the Crystal Empire was capable of, what dark things its tyrant had taught it back in the day. What dark things it may still remember.

“Have you forgotten?” She said. “Back, in the reign of King Sombra, the Crystal Empire was capable of amazing feats of technology, what they lacked for in magic or weather, they more than made up for in… weaponry.”

Celestia walked over to the window, gazing out with the memories of a millennium back etched into her mind. Luna walked over to her sister, but found herself lacking in any words she could have said that would have comforted the Princess.

Their brief reminiscence was brought to a swift close as the doors to the throne room swung open and a royal guard trotted in at a regal pace.

“The delegates from the Crystal Empire have arrived, Princess.” He announced.

The two alicorns both observed him, Luna eager to see where this would take them, while Celestia grew even more nervous in the face of what would come.

“Have them be brought to the War Room, we’ll join them shortly.” She replied to the guard, who gave a salute before going to perform his duty.

“We have a War Room?” Luna asked her sister curiously.

“That’s the name for it.” Celestia stated, beginning to trot, followed by her sister. “I hope this does not start a war.”

“Me too.” Luna said, cheerily, but at the same time gravely.