• Published 24th Nov 2012
  • 2,075 Views, 44 Comments

The Silver Stallion Braeburn - KenSES64



Sequel to Cyborg Braeburn. Braeburn leaves Ponyville to do some soul seaching

  • ...
0
 44
 2,075

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Braeburn’s one real eye snapped open and he quickly sat up in a cold sweat. He felt for the metal switch on the side of his head and flipped it on. Vision to the electronic eye embedded in his face was restored.

The stallion sighed, reflecting on the bad dream he’d just woken from. For the past month he’d been suffering from the same nightmare over and over again. What made it worse was that the events of said nightmare had really happened to him. The infamous Appleloosa Massacre.

He remembered the sound of the buffalo rushing at the crowd of ponies, the barricades being smashed though like they were nothing, and the last moments before getting trampled. The horror played in his head like it was happening again. Unfortunately it wasn’t, because if it was he would suggest using something better than apple pies to defend themselves with or just getting the buck out of there.

Braeburn got out of bed to work yet another day on his cousin’s farm. His three metal legs sounded differently on the floor than his one remaining hoof, on the leg that hadn’t been amputated after he was trampled.

The side of his face had also been caved in, resulting in replacement of one eye and one ear with electronics. While Braeburn had to admit that the cybernetics were better than being crippled, he mostly kept to the farm and out of public eye. He was riding the fine line between robot and pony, and most residents of the nearby town shrank from the sight of him.

Braeburn put on his hat and began his day.

A couple hours later, he was pulling a cart of apples from the orchard to the barn. His cousin Applejack nodded to him as he approached. Her face softened a little with concern. “Y’all alright Braeburn? You look very tired.”

“I guess I’ve been losing some sleep lately,” he responded.

“Is it about those dreams you’ve been telling me about?”

“Yeah, I don’t know why, but I’ve just been reliving it. I mean, last week I tried to use Granny Smith as a pony shield when Rainbow Dash said ‘stampede’.”

“Well, that was kinda funny.”

Braeburn chuckled, “Yeah, I guess so.”

They both entered the barn where they saw a familiar orange earth pony with a black mane.

“‘Sup, Apples,” he said.

“What is it Valiant?” Applejack asked.

“Well, Sir Win sent me to check up on the cider for the wedding.” The farm had been contracted to provide beverage service for an upcoming event.

Applejack nodded. “Oh yeah. Sorry, forgot that it was being picked up today. Follow me.”

The two of them walked away. Braeburn was glad to stay behind. The strange orange stallion was annoying, possibly an alien, and definitely a mad scientist. Valiant was also the pony who had “fixed” Braeburn. Where the parts had come from, he didn’t know, and didn’t want to.

Later that night at dinner, while his cousins and grandmother enjoyed their meal, Braeburn just sat there looking at his plate. Apple Bloom was telling them about another failed attempt at getting her cutie mark. He didn’t pay much attention. All he really heard was, “How do you even get covered in tree sap when you’re underwater?”

Applejack turned to him and asked, “What’s wrong Braeburn? Still tired?”

“W-What? No, I’m fine. I guess I’m not that hungry,” he responded.

“You sure that’s it? Cause you’re looking kinda glum.”

“Yes, I’m fine.”

“Braeburn I can tell...”

“I said I’m fine!” he finally shouted, only to remember himself and lowered his tone. “Sorry, Applejack. I guess I’m not fine.”

“Y’wanna talk about it?”

Braeburn let out a sigh and said, “It’s just that I’ve been thinking a lot recently because of my dreams and how they be affecting me. I talked to Miss Twilight about this and she calls it Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.”

“What does that mean?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Basically what it says. I’m getting all stressed out because of a traumatizing event in my past. In my case, the Appleloosa Massacre. But it’s not just the PTSD I’ve been thinking about. I realize that I don’t remember what it’s like to be happy and the way the town treated me doesn’t really help.”

“They’ve gotten used to you,” Applejack stated.

“Yeah, but look how long that took. Not just that, but they accepted that Sir Win guy much quicker than me and he’s a demon, for Celestia’s sake! They see a guy who is on fire, collects the souls of other ponies and whose previous home was Tartarus of all places, but they are fine with that! When they saw me, they ran away and treated me like the bucking freak I am!”

“Braeburn!” Applejack scolded. “Don’t use language like that in front of Apple Bloom.”

“Oh it’s fine.” Apple Bloom said. “I hear that word all the time from Valiant. Yet he does have that weird speech impediment where he says it with an ‘F’.”

Applejack facehoofed and said, “I’m going to have to have a talk with that pony.”

“I’m sorry.” Braeburn said before he left the table and went to his room.

About an hour later there was a knock at Braeburn’s bedroom door and a voice on the other side, “Braeburn? It’s Applejack. Y’all mind if I come in?”

“I guess not.” Braeburn said in a monotone voice.

The door creaked open, letting some light in the dark room. Applejack walked to the foot of the bed. “Now I know you’ve been stressed out. I’m here to tell you that we’re all here for you if you need us.”

“I know, but that doesn’t change how I acted earlier. I screamed at y’all about my problems like a little whiny filly.”

“It’s okay, you’ve been through a lot.” She paused for a second, “Can I suggest something?”

“Sure.”

“Do you know my cutie mark story?”

Braeburn had heard it. Applejack traveled to Manehattan before discovering that she really wanted to just live on the farm. “Yeah what about it?”

“Well I had to go somewhere else to find out where I’d be happy,” said Applejack. “Maybe you should do some soul searching yourself.”

“Oh yeah, leave Ponyville that took far too long to learn to live with me and go somewhere else to scare a bunch of other ponies. That sounds like a great idea.” Braeburn said sarcastically.

“Will y’all at least consider it?”

“Fine.”

With that Applejack left and Braeburn went to bed. He thought about Applejack’s idea, but was unsure if he could find something to live for somewhere else or if it be a huge mistake. He eventually fell asleep.




--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


When Braeburn woke up, he found himself lying on his back in an unfamiliar place. He saw a certain orange stallion looking back at him.

“Wow, for God’s sake Braeburn, Princess Peach is harder to kidnap than you.” Valiant said. “Good thing, too. After AJ told me how down in the dumps you were, I figured your mood couldn’t get any worse if I grabbed you again.”

“Please don’t tell me you’ve done something to me.” Braeburn deadpaned. Usually, when he woke up to Valiant staring at him, something terrible had been done to his body.

“Indeed I did. Well, Sir Win helped, right?”

“Yes. I had fun fitting the metal on that broad chest of yours,” said Sir Win, a pale stallion with a mane of fire, wearing a huge grin.

“Metal on my chest?” Braeburn asked.

“Get up and see. Speaking of, seeing notice anything different with your vision?” Valiant asked.

“I’m seeing out of both eyes and I didn’t have to turn on my fake one.”

“Yup, that’s the first thing I changed. Now you don’t have the switch. You can just think and your vision will change between different magnifications, plus a new setting which is night vision because why the hell not?”

While he was saying this, Braeburn had gotten up and looked at himself in a nearby mirror. Instead of just one fake eye, both eyes were covered in a visor, His metal legs were a better fit for him and there was armor over his chest and one real leg.

“Huh, I’m surprised that you didn’t faint or anything.” Valiant said.

“Well I’m used to looking like a walking trash heap, but why the armor?” Braeburn asked.

“Just because I felt like it. I mean look at you. You look like freaking Robocop.”

“I’d buy that for a bit,” Sir Win added.

“I don’t wanna be one of your stupid alien references!” Braeburn shouted at Valiant.

“Well, too late now. Wanna know what else I gave you?” the mad scientist asked.

Braeburn sighed. “Fine.”

“Well, your left hoof has a number of features, including fingers and a can opener. I was able to add a grappling hook and a built in gun, but I don’t know if they work so you’d have test them yourself. Also don’t even think about using the gun on me. Remember, I never make anything I can’t turn off. Huh, with all this maybe you’re more like Inspector Gadget.” Valiant paused and sang the next part. “Duh Duh-a Duh Duh Inspector Braeburn.”

“I bucking hate you.”

“I know.”

When he was let go, Braeburn went back to Sweet Apple Acres where he ran into Applejack. The mare looked him up and down. “So Valiant kidnaped you again and gave you an upgrade?”

“Eeyup. That’s why I decided to take you up on the idea of the whole soul searching thing. Well, I guess it’s more to get as far away from Valiant as possible.”

She chuckled and said, “Wouldn’t we all like to do that.”

“I’m not sure where I’d go though.”

“Well, I have a friend in a town called Dodge Junction. I’m sure she’ll take you in and give you a job. She did for me.”

So a few days after receiving a letter from this friend of Applejack’s saying it was okay for him to visit, Braeburn packed the few things he had and put on his hat and the duster that Applejack and Big Macintosh told him he could keep. He boarded the train and left Ponyville.