• Published 21st Nov 2012
  • 4,280 Views, 166 Comments

Marks of Harmony - Lapis-Lazuli and Stitch



The Mane 6, along with two unlikely allies, must uncover the magical science of Aurora Streak.

  • ...
18
 166
 4,280

"Civilized" Discussion

Gdocs Version
Marks of Harmony
Part 4


The pulley system hauling Twilight into the ship clicked ominously and repetitively in Rainbow Dash’s ears. She knew everything about the allicorn mare’s ship was designed to intimidate, including the clicking of the lift. With equal force, she was determined to not let it affect her. “You ready Pinkie?” Rainbow asked the pony beside her.

“Let’s do this!” Pinkie replied fiercely. Only after a moment of thought did she return to her normal clueless self and say, “Wait, what are we doing?”

“Where’s Applejack?” Rainbow settled for asking with a face-hoof.

“She’s right har.” The selfsame Applejack strode up to the pair, continuing, “Twilight go up inta tha’ thang already?”

“Yeah. The mission is a go,” Rainbow replied, flipping her hair confidently. “Where did you hide it?”

“It’s still at tha farm, and it ain’t dun yet,” Applejack said pointedly. “Why does it haf to be ready now anywho?”

“Oh!” Pinkie added in a drawn out syllable, “That mission. Super sneaky time!” She sped off in a flurry of hooves and legs and returned a second later in a black, full-body suit. Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes at Pinkie’s eccentricity, not for the first time wishing Pinkie had not overheard her and Applejack’s conversation.

“It can’t be that hard to build one,” Rainbow said to Applejack critically. “I gave you that book I snuck out of the library, and Big Mac should’ve been helping right?”

“We’re just Earth ponies,” Applejack retaliated, “and no matt’r how good we’re at buildin’ equipment, this thang ain’t a plow.”

“Okay, I get it,” Rainbow replied, motioning for Applejack to calm down. “But there’s got to be a way to get me in...”

“There’s really no point in talkin’ ‘bout it if we don’ know where to put it once we’re ready,” Applejack said dryly. “Maybe we should take a look around town. Who knows, we migh’ get some bright ideas.”

“I can’t think of anything better,” Rainbow answered, angry that they were still effectively doing nothing. “Pinkie?”

“What are you two talking about?” Pinkie asked, bewildered. “I thought we were getting Dashie inside the ship to help Twilight.”

“We are,” Applejack explained, “but the catapult Big Mac and I’re tryin’ to make’s hit a little snag. We can’ find a boulder heavy enough to fling Rainbow Dash.”

“Hey!” Rainbow cut in defensively. “I’m not fat! Just because I like my naps doesn’t mean I’m lazy!”

“Nopony said you were lazy,” Applejack glared at her, “but come to think of it...”

“Not listening!” Rainbow said determinedly, putting her front hooves into her ears as she flew up.

“Stop arguing,” Pinkie said, smiling awkwardly. “This doesn’t help Twilight at all, but I think I have just the thing!”

“Whadya mean?” Applejack asked, perplexed.

“Please don’t tell me you have a catapult somewhere in Ponyville,” Rainbow said, already weary of Pinkie. “I swear Pinkie...”

“No, silly!” Pinkie waved her hoof excitedly with her eyes shut. “I’ve got something better. Follow me!” With a jovial grin, she bounced away; leaving her friends little choice but to follow her. Both did so, but Rainbow could not help but pass Applejack a look of serious concern. The Earth pony only shrugged in reply, and trotted after Pinkie with fewer inhibitions than Rainbow thought was safe. Unfortunately, as much as she would rather not blindly follow Pinkie to who knew where, if Applejack’s catapult was not yet finished and there were no other options; she would do just about anything to get out of sight of the monstrous ship.

As it was, Sugar Cube Corner just happened to be their destination, and the edge of the vessel’s shadow still encompassed the bakery. More from this than any true annoyance with Pinkie herself, Rainbow said rather scathingly, “What are we doing here Pinkie Pie?”

“Rainbow Dash cou’ be a bit nicer ‘bout it,” Applejack added, pointedly eyeing Rainbow, “but I gotta ask tha same question. What the hay you got in that thar room o’ yours?”

“Seriously Pinkie,” Rainbow said, ignoring Applejack’s comment. “How is cake supposed to help us? You already gave Twilight that load of cupcakes.”

“You both are so silly,” Pinkie giggled as she stepped up to the bakery door. “Who said anything about cake?” Before either of her friends could reply with more than curious and confused looks, Pinkie knocked on the door. Nopony answered for a few seconds, but Mr. Cake eventually peaked his head out the barely cracked entrance.

“Oh,” he said mildly, “Pinkie Pie. Do you need something?”

“Yep!” Pinkie said excitedly. Mr. Cake eyed her with scrutinous suspicion until Mrs. Cake’s voice rang out from inside the shop.

“Who is it, dear?” Rainbow could hear her asking. Mr. Cake pulled his head back inside for a brief moment, relaying some information Rainbow was unable to pick out. “Well let them in then!” Mrs. Cake’s voice answered immediately. Mr. Cake did as much, motioning for Rainbow and Applejack to hurry inside.

“Sorry about all the fuss,” Mr. Cake said to their threesome. “But that ship and its Discord-be-darned magic have put all of us on edge. I keep worrying about an invasion or something.”

“I wouldn’ blame ya Mr. Cake,” Applejack spoke up as Pinkie bounded upstairs without a hint of the seriousness blanketing the room. “It’s sure got a bad feelin’ to it.”

“Forget bad feeling,” Rainbow said. “That thing’s definitely big enough to hold an army. If I could get to Cloudsdale, I’d round up some pegasi and we’d storm the place. That mare wouldn’t stand a chance.”

“It’s prob’ly full of traps Rainbow,” Applejack replied. “I wouldn’t trust even the surest hooves in tha’ place.”

“Aside from all that,” Mr. Cake explained worriedly, “it’s affecting our foals. Pumpkin and Pound are usually full of energy, but ever since it came, they’ve been almost depressed.”

“Well duh,” Rainbow said. “The magic around it steals pegasi wings and unicorn horns. I’m surprised more ponies aren’t as hard hit.”

“Most of our friends have said they’re just feeling tired,” Mr. Cake replied. “I wonder why Miss Sparkle was so... affected.” Rainbow and Applejack shared a half-knowing look, and luckily, Pinkie’s attention-grabbing pitch turned everypony’s head before Mr. Cake had time to notice the significance.

“Can I get some help here!?” she bellowed over the balcony rail.

“Whadya need Pinkie?” Applejack asked.

“Thanks AJ,” Pinkie said with a rather sheepish smile, “but I really need Dashie for this one.”

“What the hay does that mean?” Rainbow asked, lazily flying up to face Pinkie directly. Only when she was level with the pink earth pony did Rainbow see the source of Pinkie’s problem. “No,” she said flatly. “Absolutely not. I can’t believe that’s your answer to the problem! Do I look like a pony that wants to end up a greasy splat mark on the side of that ship!?”

“What’s wrong Rainbow? What’d Pinkie give us?” Applejack asked.

“She wants to shoot me out of that party cannon she has!” Rainbow shouted down, hoping Applejack would be convinced of the ridiculousness of the idea.

“Sweet Celestia Pinkie Pie!” Applejack said brightly. “I shoulda thought o’ tha’ sooner!”

“What?! No!” Rainbow replied, frustrated that practical Applejack was agreeing with eccentric Pinkie Pie. “Why’re you going along with this!?”

“It’s no more dangerous than lauchin’ you from a stinkin’ catapult,” Applejack said firmly.

“What’s all this fuss about?” Mrs. Cake came into the room, bearing a tray of fresh-baked cookies.

“I’m not sure dear,” Mr. Cake replied, the bewilderment showing in his voice.

“Hi Mrs. Cake!” Pinkie waved. “We’re going to launch Rainbow Dash out of my party cannon! Oooh! Those cookies look soooo good!”

“We are not shooting anypony out of that cannon,” Rainbow retorted.

“See, Rainbow needs some help gettin’ off the ground with that ship around,” Applejack covered for the awkwardness of the situation.

“Um, okay,” Mrs. Cake replied, still uncomfortable. “I guess trying to keep things normal around here is the best we can all do.”

“But this is anything but normal!” Pinkie burst out.

Before her friend could reveal their dare-devilish plan, Rainbow inserted loudly, “Yeah! I know right! This trick is so rad!”

“Good luck then,” Mrs. Cake said, walking away with her husband to the kitchen.

“Jus’ help ‘er get the dang cannon!” Applejack hissed at Rainbow once the Cake’s were busy with their pastries. “You two almos’ blew it.”

“I still don’t wanna be launched out of this thing,” Rainbow hissed back, grabbing the cannon from where Pinkie had wheeled it onto the balcony. With much groaning and wincing, Rainbow lowered the cannon onto the ground floor, and reflected that something so innocent looking should not weigh so much.

“Thanks a bunch Dashie,” Pinkie said, coming down the stairs at a light trot. “I would have taken it down this way, but I probably would have lost my grip and it would have gone crashing through the wall, and then the Cakes would have been all mad, and then we would have been caught, and...”

“We get your point Pinkie,” Applejack said, if only to stop her rambling. She tapped the cannon experimentally with her hoof, eliciting a light tinkling sound. “You sure this thang’s strong enough to launch Rainbow?”

“Of course!” Pinkie answered, bouncing up and down. “Can we go? I thought we were on a schedule here.”

“Hold on,” Rainbow was nearly pleading now as she followed the other two out the door, Applejack pushing the cannon along. “How many times do I have to say that I don’t want to get launched out of that stupid thing?!”

“It’s not stupid!” Pinkie said, looking back at Rainbow with an offended frown.

“And it really ain’t about whatcha want,” Applejack replied pointedly. “We gotta help Twi, and tha only way we’re gonna do that is with this here cannon.”

“I just really don’t want to get impaled on one of those spikes,” Rainbow said. “The openings near them are the only places to get in, and...”

“And what?” Applejack asked, supremely irritated. “What makes ya thank a catapult woulda’ been any better?”

“Hello!” Rainbow nearly shouted, spreading her wings out for emphasis, “a catapult would’ve sent me over the spike, and I would have been able to land on it, then walk in. With the cannon, you’ll have to shoot me at the gap and I’ll have to trust Pinkie Pie’s aim.” She shuddered at the very thought, a horrible sequence of events involving the cannon passing through her imagination.

“Well if that’s all,” Applejack said sympathetically, “would ya do it if I were aimin’?”

“It would be better,” Rainbow replied, “but, I mean, I’m being shot at a spike. It’s not exactly a comforting idea.”

“I don’ think anypony’d argue with ya on that one,” Applejack chuckled. Turning to Pinkie, who was leading them still, she asked, “So where’re ya takin’ us ta shoot this thang?”

“Oh,” Pinkie stopped. “I wasn’t taking us anywhere.” Rainbow face-hoofed again, but Applejack only began surveying the surrounding terrain.

Noticing this, Rainbow advised, “It’s going to be too much trouble to try to take it on a balcony or something, and we can’t go too far away...”

“I know, I know,” Applejack mused. “That mare sure knows how ta be a pain in the flank.” Both Rainbow and Applejack scrutinized Ponyville for a good few minutes, while Pinkie only fiddled absently with her cannon. “I’m not sure we got a choice,” Applejack continued, to break the silence. “Goin’ on a roof I mean.”

“Oh c’mon!” Rainbow shook her head in exasperation. “Ponyville has to have a good lookout. Cloudsdale has tons of them.”

“Rainbow,” Applejack said flatly, “this town was built by Earth ponies, not pegasi.”

“Town Hall’s got a great balcony!” Pinkie piped up. “I could put Rainbow in, point it straight up, and—!”

“Pinkie, I think we need to set some ground rules with this crazy cannon idea,” Rainbow said, trying her best to keep cool. “First, I’ll be putting myself in the cannon. I don’t want to do it in the first place, but since we have to...” she shot Applejack an irritated look, “... I’ll be getting in myself.”

“Never mind that wishy-washy nonsense,” Applejack put in. “Pinkie Pie, want makes ya think tha cannon’d be strong enough to punch Rainbow through tha’ wood.”

“True,” Pinkie replied, eyeing the sky in apparently deep thought, “Maybe we should test it with a rock first.”

“That’s not the point!” Rainbow began to raise her voice, now seriously concerned that Pinkie and Applejack might try to smash her through the ship. “Remember, we said we were getting me in through the gaps where the spikes are.”

“Ya don’ thank ya could survive it?” Applejack asked. “I’ve seen ya go through some pretty rough stuff before.”

“It’s different!” Rainbow insisted. “Pegasi can survive a boatload of crashes and be okay, but that thing takes my pegasus... ness—I think—never mind. I think I’d survive, but walking would be another thing.”

“Walking’s important,” Pinkie affirmed unhelpfully.

“What about Twilight’s house?!” Applejack’s face lit up. “I can’ believe we didn’ thank of it before! It’s got balconies, and nopony’ll be watchin’ for anypony else goin’ near it.”

“But it’s not exactly close to the ship...” Rainbow trailed off, imagining the distance as if she were flying. “I guess it could work. And you’re right about nopony being around.”

“Perfect!” Pinkie cheered. “Follow me!” She grinned wildly, perhaps maniacally, as she wheeled the cannon around and trotted past Rainbow and Applejack in the direction of the library.
______________________________________________________________________________


Even if Twilight had been sorely disappointed with the way in which her tour through Aurora Streak’s ship had gone up until meeting the allicorn, she had at least thought Aurora herself would be somewhat sociable. But exactly the opposite was true. She was certainly not like Inky Jay, who was frank to the point of indecency, but completely silent. Even her breathing and hoofsteps were inaudible. To add to the cold edge, she never once glanced at Twilight; but only stared straight ahead, even while descending into the bowels of her creation. The brief conversation they had shared at their meeting had been the only moment Twilight had had to glean something of her character. The unfortunate result was a horrible twisting of Twilight’s mind as she struggled on three separate occasions to begin a conversation during the descent. The common courtesy Princess Celestia had instilled within her told her to wait and allow Aurora, the host, to take the initiative; but Aurora had demonstrated how exactly she viewed these rules of courtesy when she insisted Twilight carry the cupcakes.

It was so uncomfortable, Twilight finally shivered at the bottom of the stairs to relieve the tension. It was the last thing she had thought would elicit a response from Aurora, but the mare said critically, “Oh, do not act as though it is cold.”

“No, that’s not it,” Twilight hurriedly corrected the misinterpretation, inwardly glad there was now reason for them both to talk. “It was just a shake of nerves.”

“I see...” Aurora replied. “Do you have something else to say Twilight Sparkle? I have felt it in your very bearing ever since we began walking together.”

“Well, it’s only that Princess Celestia...” Twilight began, but was cut sharply.

“Do not bring her name aboard my ship unless absolutely necessary,” Aurora stated.

“Why not?” Twilight fought back, offended this mare thought Princess Celestia could be treated so, even in name. Taking a cue from Pinkie Pie’s randomness, she added, “Would you like a cupcake?” She removed the box from her back and opened it to a nice foursome of treats.

“I have many things against Celestia, none of which you need know, so you need not ask. And yes, those cakes look mightily tasty. I have not had such delicacies for many years,” Aurora answered, perfectly at ease and bending to inspect the cakes. Twilight only stared into space in something akin to disbelief, but more startling. Aurora had completely turned her attempt at disarmament against her, and done so quite successfully. “So, what rests upon your mind young one?” Aurora asked again, this time taking a vanilla-on-vanilla on her hoof and biting into it. An accompanying sigh of satisfaction followed soon after.

“Well, it’s just... um,” Twilight struggled at first, still recovering from Aurora’s skill in speaking, “I was curious if you could do me a favor.”

“That depends,” Aurora said through a mouth-full of cupcake.

“You see, a group of adventurous fillies from town thought they...” Twilight paused. It would be truthful to say Scootaloo and the rest had wanted to help in the investigation of the field, but that could only result in escalating the antagonism between Ponyville and Aurora. Instead, Twilight said, “...they were playing a bit crazily around that pink field, and one of their toys went through. The toy belongs to the filly that touched it too. Will she be okay? And can you get the toy back for her?”

Aurora had been completely calm through this long-winded explanation up until Twilight mentioning Scootaloo touching the field. “How many ponies in this ignorant, over curious town have touched it?” she asked hurriedly, eyes wide.

“Um... only two that I know of,” Twilight answered reluctantly.

“And!” Aurora demanded.

“And what?” Twilight asked, confused as to Aurora’s intentions.

“Who else touched it? What are the filly’s symptoms? If my assistance is to be had, and it most likely will be, then these are facts I must know,” Aurora pushed.

“My friend Pinkie Pie touched it first, but she’s okay now,” Twilight answered, somewhat perturbed and concerned by Aurora’s intensity. “And Scootaloo—she’s the filly—is running an awful fever and has pain in her flanks.” Aurora did not reply at first, only eyed Twilight inquisitively and penetratingly.

“You would say this Pinkie Pie character is a close friend of yours?” the alicorn finally asked.

“Yes, but I just told you she’s okay,” Twilight frowned. “Scootaloo is the one in the hospital.”

“All details, no matter how apparently insignificant,” Aurora lectured, “are all equally important. To ignore even the most trivial matter is to potentially overlook your greatest discovery. Are you modern students of science not taught this? As for the filly, she will be fine. Give her a few more days and everything will dissipate. Amazingly, luck favors me this once, and my assistance is not required.”

“That’s a relief,” Twilight said legitimately, brushing over the stab at her education. Aurora had some sort of grudge against Princess Celestia, and these comments were likely to continue until Twilight learned of the source. That though, would have to wait. “What about Scootaloo’s toy?”

“I could allow you to retrieve it,” Aurora replied, “but it would require me to lower the entire field. This is something I absolutely refuse to do. But this turn of events will allow me to make a public demonstration. Quite an effective one at that. Can I be assured that I and my equipment will not be mauled by angry villagers?”

“I’m sure my friend Applejack can make sure nopony bothers you. She’s really well respected in the town,” Twilight said, satisfied. An awkward silence followed, solidifying into fact Twilight’s assumption that Aurora expected guests to offer up first spoken words. “Where is it that you will be taking me? I’m really eager to see all the science that must have gone into making this ship; let alone figuring out how to make it fly.”

Before replying, Aurora stuffed the last of the cupcake—a considerable portion—into her jaws, and chewed methodically. “I would very much like to answer your question immediately, but it requires first another on my part. What sort of magics has my.... has Celestia taught you?”

Despite the chance to show off both her own knowledge and Celestia’s instructing skill, Aurora’s slight pause caught most of Twilight’s attention. She subdued the curiosity before her silence became noticeable, and answered, “I know basic levitation, teleportation, some healing spells, and a few more obscure tricks. Mostly Celestia teaches me physical science and I study astronomy on my own.”

“Define what you mean by ‘obscure tricks’,” Aurora queried.

“Oh, just some silly little things,” Twilight answered, lowering her gaze from Aurora in slight embarrassment. “They really aren’t that important.”

“Does forgetfulness run in your family?” Aurora asked sternly. “I remember clearly stating that all details were important. My request is simple, and if it is ridicule you fear, then I insist you put it aside. You will find no such stupidity here, as all practice in magic is effective.”

“Um, I memorized most of the spells in the One Hundred and Two Tricks for Unicorns,” Twilight acknowledged in something akin to shame despite Aurora’s statement.

“I am not familiar with that tome,” Aurora replied, “but the number itself is impressive. Is there anything else?”

“Well, I did use a time travel spell once,” Twilight said, hoping this would repair any ill-impression Aurora may have had from her last answer. But rather than spark with interest, Aurora growled with frustration, whipping around and tutting with disapproval. “Do you have something against Starswirl the Bearded?” Twilight ventured.

“It was one of his that you used then,” Aurora said stiffly, not turning back around. “No, he was an incredible prodigy, and I have the utmost respect for him. It seems though, that Celestia still holds an irrational fear in the area of magic I will reveal to you. Luna was always more accepting, but then, Luna was never such an ardent pacifist as Celestia.”

“Are you talking about dark magic?” Twilight asked. “Because if you are, then Princess Celestia has told me about it; and I know that it’s a horrible thing to practice.” The yes she had expected never came, but instead, Aurora faced Twilight as she laughed heartily and rather merrily.

“Oh, by the stars in the heavens!” she said with increasing mirth. “She has gone so far as to brand some magic as ‘dark’?! Oh, that is indeed hilarious!” Calming herself, she continued, “Whatever you have heard or read, there is no such thing as ‘dark’ magic. It is all a hoax and a way for ‘good’ ponies to identify ‘bad’ magic. And, no, what I wish to show you has much more potential than any other area of magical study. Likely you have never heard of it, but I, Aurora Streak, will introduce you to Indirectly Applied Magic.” With this statement, she strode off for several paces, and upon reaching a particular section of wall pushed it in to open one of the hidden doors. Twilight hastily closed up the cupcakes and swung the box back onto her back before hurrying over to peer through the newly opened door.

The sight before her explained their geography within the ship, but not much more than that. She was gazing down a two flights of stairs into a relatively spacious hall filled with mind-boggling contraptions. Jutting out from one wall were sets of brass pipes. In each set was a pipe above and below that branched into six like a leaf’s veins. At the end of all twelve branched pipes were parts that seemed to have a lever function of sorts. Each of these levers rested in the same position, and were connected to their vertical partner by large, thick brass cylinders. This design was repeated over and over again down the entire hall, and Twilight’s analytical mind estimated there to be at least two hundred cylinders, maybe more. Even more bizarre were the iron podiums on the opposite wall, corresponding to each pipe set.

Determined to identify the foreign design without asking for assistance, Twilight began manually pulling the considerable number of books out of her saddlebags to bring them before her pupils. Some she immediately returned some to the bags; but three she kept out and began flipping through. “You will find nothing of use in those, especially if your teacher has withheld this area of magical study from you,” Aurora said blandly, beginning to move down the stairs into the hall proper. “And even if she had not, I doubt any books would help you identify my creations.”

With a heavy scowl—for Aurora was correct—Twilight returned her books to their bags and followed the allicorn into the hall. Much like all of the other brass fixtures throughout the ship, nothing about the shape of the brass tubes and cylinders helped Twilight identify their function. The only information she could glean from them was an odd inscription carved into all of the cylinders in a jagged, foreign script. Aurora had gone to the trouble of cataloging them all, which must point to something of their importance. “Try to ease your pride so learning may take its place,” Aurora said as she motioned for Twilight to join her by the first iron podium. It was unremarkable, except for a single brass pedal at its base.

Taking Aurora’s advice, Twilight placed her hoof onto the pedal and pushed down. With minimal grating from small gears within the construct, the podium’s top opened up and the top of a brass cylinder rose from within it. A brief charging whine sounded within it before it released a glowing cyan hologram at Twilight’s eye level. It took a moment for her to realize it, but the hologram depicted one of the piping sets. Aurora strode around to face Twilight through the hologram. Even distorted by the projection, her smile of accomplishment was undeniable. “Touch it,” Aurora said just short of a whisper.

“But I can’t really,” Twilight said amusedly. “A hologram is nothing but a play of light. I could no more touch air.”

“Are you sure what is before you is just light?” Aurora asked potently. Under ordinary circumstances, such as being tested by Princess Celestia, Twilight would have answered ‘yes’ with supreme confidence. But these were far from ordinary circumstances, and Aurora Streak was the farthest thing from Princess Celestia Twilight could imagine in allicorn terms. Tentatively, she lifted a hoof, inching it toward the hologram. Her hoof momentarily brushed it before she yanked it back with a startled yelp; the hologram fluidly morphed into a depiction of a singular cylinder, and with it; numerous statistics in each corner all written in the illegible script.

“What is all this?” Twilight asked somewhat fearfully.

“You need not be afraid of these inventions,” Aurora said calmly, coming around to the podium and shutting down the hologram with a second press of the pedal. “Aside from that, I am pleased that you see that all of these are connected. The hologram you interacted with is actually a mapping spell.”

“How is that possible?” Twilight asked. “You don’t have enslaved unicorns below the floor do you?!”

“Pfft,” Aurora spat, “even if I wanted to be that inefficient, there are not enough skilled unicorns in Equestria and beyond to fuel all of the operations of the House of a Thousand Fangs. No, you have just born witness to years of study, research, practice, and the implementation of a special talent. Indirectly Applied Magic involves placing a spell within a particular object in order for it to perform that spell for you while you do other things. It sounds simple, but if Celestia’s neglect in your instruction is anything to judge by, it is incredibly complex, difficult, and requiring of a different magical style than most unicorns possess.”

“Then why would you want to show it to me?” Twilight asked, confused. She understood the concept of Indirectly Applied Magic, but from the way Aurora was speaking of it; it was unlikely it was something she could master by study or even practice. “The only magic I should learn about is the kind that I can actually use and the kind that can benefit me and all other ponies.”

“That,” Aurora said disgusted, “is only Celestia speaking. I can see you are interested in the subject just in the way you stand before me. I showed you this to give you a taste of what I am able to offer the ponies of Ponyville and Equestria at large. Imagine the possibilities of this kind of technology in the hands of Earth ponies. Beyond even that, the good that could be brought to Equestria is unparalleled.”

“You want to give everypony this kind of magic?” Twilight asked, still attempting to wrap her head around the possibilities Aurora had mentioned. “But all the different kinds of ponies are defined by our ties to magic. If you take that away, all ponies will lose their identities.”

“Take away their identities or make all ponies equal?” Aurora said stolidly. “I will leave it up to you about whether or not to give a favorable report of myself to the citizens of Ponyville, but please consider how much happier everypony would be if life were not so tedious any longer. If it would help my case, I will be prepared for three hours after retrieving the filly’s toy to manufacture a Device in public to meet the need of any pony in this town.”

“I need to think,” was all Twilight could say. “This is all so much new information.”

“It is not as much as you imagine,” Aurora stated simply as she led Twilight back up the stairs and to the next flight that would take them back through the maze of halls and eventually to the top deck. “And Twilight Sparkle, just because IAM is a difficult subject, it has no bearing on a unicorn’s ability to learn how to do it, so long as their talent happens to be magic, like yours.”

“So... would you teach me?” Twilight asked, always intrigued by the idea of new branches of magic. Her talent permitted her— Wait, how had Aurora known her talent was magic. She was sure she had never mentioned it, and her cutie mark was not exactly indicative of her talent like many ponies. As subtly as possible, she edged as far from Aurora as she could without seeming suspicious. The idea and potential of Indirectly Applied Magic held her fascination, but Aurora was too unpredictable and eerie a character for her to trust with something so important to the safety of her mind and self. “Actually, never mind,” she said swiftly and nervously. “I’m not sure if I’d even want to... um, get into it. It sounds like a branch of study that takes a lot of time.”

“Indeed it does,” Aurora answered, “but I would not have been willing to teach anypony. This is all that I have, and I am not yet ready to give it up so easily. Do you remember the way back? I have work that needs attention.”

“The tour is over? That’s all you wanted to show me?” Twilight asked, shocked at the brevity of the so-called tour.

“Forgetfulness must be only within yourself then,” Aurora said, irritated. “My secrets are mine to give out as I see fit. Be glad I was willing to divulge this much. Now, do you remember the way back or not?”

“Yes, I do,” Twilight replied. “Have a good evening. Everypony will be expecting you tomorrow.”

“I prefer only a simply farewell,” Aurora said, though she waved her hoof regardless. “A day is not good until it is finished and can be reflected upon.” Twilight nodded, and began the relieving walk away from the furtive Aurora, and looking forward to being able to use her magic easily once off and away from the House of a Thousand Fangs. Whether a she could give a good report or not was still debatable.
______________________________________________________________________________


Rainbow found that the only thing worse than attempting to shove her whole body into Pinkie Pie’s Party Cannon, was being wheeled around by Applejack while in the Party Cannon. Squeezing her lean body inside the opening had been more difficult than uncomfortable, though the sense of having her wings pinned to her sides was possibly the second worse thing to having them taken away entirely.

True to Applejack’s logic, there was not a pony around the Ponyville Library. Even Spike was absent, creating an eerie atmosphere Rainbow had never expected to experience in the cozy building. Hauling the Cannon up the multiple and convoluted flights of stairs had been no easy task, especially with Rainbow’s two Earth pony companions attempting to help. She had appreciated the gesture, but eventually had been forced to shout at them both to insist that she was better off doing it herself. Logistical difficulties aside, the three of them and their fickle weapon of choice were now atop the library’s highest balcony.

In conjunction with the height, the claustrophobic confines of the Cannon were making Rainbow slightly nauseated. In addition, it was more than a little disturbing being at the mercy of Applejack’s aiming method—no matter how skilled she was at bucking apples as ammunition. It was not helpful either that the ship before them had enough length at this distance to only blur painfully when Applejack made any significant change of position. It was supremely odd, Rainbow considered, that she was able to perform head-spinning acrobatics and not feel the slightest churn of the stomach, and yet she thought she might soon lose her lunch of pizza over the side of the balcony.

“Applejack! make up your mind!” Rainbow was unable to restrain herself any longer.

“Oh hush Rainbow,” Applejack admonished. “If ya wanna live through this, ya gotta be patient.”

“Could you at least stop moving so much,” Rainbow nearly gagged as she was swung first one way then switched back the next.

“What’er ya talkin’ ‘bout?” Applejack asked. “I ain’t moved since ya got in tha Cannon.” Rainbow might well have ignited the Cannon on her own with the force of the frustration building in her.

“PINKIE PIE!” she bellowed, more upset that she could use neither her wings nor legs to truly express herself.

“What?” Pinkie asked jovially as the movement of the Cannon immediately stopped. “Does something feel wrong in there?”

“No,” Rainbow growled, “I just want you to stop moving me around. I thought I was going to hurl!”

“Oh,” Pinkie giggled, “sorry about that.”

“Uh-huh. Sure you are,” Rainbow grumbled.

“I thank I’ve got ourselves a nice line o’ sight,” Applejack declared triumphantly before Pinkie could reply. “Bring ‘er here Pinkie.” Rainbow was unceremoniously turned a full ninety degrees, Applejack’s hooves just leaving her line of vision. The difference in Applejack’s control was drastic as she adjusted inch by inch to the perfect angle. Rainbow Dash could feel the smirk of confidence growing across her face as she watched the gap above the northern spike come into proper range. “Howya feel ‘bout that?” Applejack asked, making a few more minor alterations.

“Looks great from my end,” Rainbow said stoutly. “If we’re going to do this, might as well light it now.”

“Ooh ooh ooh!” she could hear Pinkie jumping up and down with excitement. “Let me do it! Please!”

“It’s yar Cannon,” Applejack said. “I wouldn’ know how ta light one anyhow.”

“Ready Rainbow Dash!?” Pinkie asked, now behind the Cannon by the sound of her voice.

“Ready as I’ll ever be,” Rainbow replied, tensing in preparation.

“Three...!” Pinkie shouted. “Two...!” Rainbow was steeling herself for the inevitable shock. “One...!” There was no turning back now, but Rainbow was used to flying headlong into challenges.

“FIRE!” Pinkie hollered, but much of her voice was lost in the explosion of the cannon as Rainbow rocketed into empty space. She resisted tears from a pinching burn on her flanks and hind legs, managing to open her wings and throw out her forelegs int proper gliding form. Ponyville surged by below her as the menacing whistle of the spike energy took the place of the rushing wind. The moment she came close the vessel, Rainbow could feel herself no longer flying under her own power, but only by the force of her launch. With no way to aim properly, she realized with widened eyes that she was headed directly for the planks above the opening. She shut her eyes tightly, clapped her wings to her sides, and curled into a ball. She was just in time. Her back crashed against solid wood, luckily with enough force to break her through with a baritone crack. However, she was unable to stay curled up and let out a cry of pain as her body piled up within the darkness of the vessel along with the shattered splinters of the plank.

Rainbow groaned as she stood, stumbling slightly from what was likely a concussion. The desire to shake her head to clear it was overwhelming, but experience with crashes had taught her that doing so only worsened one’s headache. Instead, she attempted to focus her blurry vision on anything around her. This was far more difficult than she anticipated; for the ship was not only dimly lit, but lacking in any defining features she could latch onto for clarity. Nevertheless, Rainbow found her sense returning to her the more she adjusted to her new surroundings. The first thing she noticed was the incessant, pervading, unnatural hum seeming to emanate from all around her. She turned her head in every direction, hoping to get an idea of its true source. This helped not in the slightest, but it did cause her to see the rear end of the spike for the first time. Its end was completely flat, the brass shined to the point of seeming to give off its own light. However, this flatness was concealed in part by the myriad of randomly placed, slack brass chains leading from the end into two central gaps in the floor on either side. The links themselves reminded Rainbow of the links in a fancy watch, but more tubular. The spike itself was suspended from the ceiling by actual chains of iron. These too vanished into another deck of the ship, but judging by the tracks they rested within, they were likely designed to pull the spike inside or push it out.

Rainbow decided that the brass chains leading into the floor were connected to the subtly menacing hum, and that their origin should be her objective. She was incredibly lucky, she knew, but to be so close to the source of the ship’s power was even more than she had bargained for. She took two steps toward the only hall she could see that led out of this room before stopping. It was tempting, so tempting, to try to find the power source so that she might wreak havoc on the allicorn mare’s plan; but she was stopped by the original purpose of coming aboard: finding Twilight. That, and she remembered Applejack’s warning about the place more than likely being booby trapped. If she was indeed standing above the ship’s power source, no doubt it was the most heavily guarded. So as she continued to step lightly toward the next hall—the lack of feeling in her wings becoming more and more prominent in her mind—she made a conscious and difficult effort to look for stairs that led up, not down.

Upon coming into the hall, she was nearly blinded by the level of light shining throughout it. She looked back to the opening she had just passed through, and jumped away with a startled yelp. There was no opening, only a blank wall of wood. She blinked several times to be sure she was not just hallucinating after the concussion, but the wall remained blank. Narrowing her eyes, Rainbow shoved her hoof at the supposed ‘wall’. As she suspected, it passed right through; giving off a sickly green glow where she was contacting the magical disguise. So even when she is able to use magic, it sucks, Rainbow thought pleasurably.

That distraction now dealt with, Rainbow was able to examine the hall in which she now stood. It was lit quite well by brass fixtures giving off an odd light, and these illuminated more wooden walls and more convoluted brass fixtures. Ugh, Rainbow thought, disgusted, this is like some old-granny’s place. No personality. She began the trek down the corridor, expecting to come across some kind of door or stairwell. But after more than five minutes of walking, taking turns both left and right into passageways that appeared identical, Rainbow began to be irritated. What was the point of a hall if it didn’t have rooms leading off it? Five more minutes of mindless stepping on wood and Rainbow began to become seriously concerned for her own sanity and safety. Perhaps the mare was not so inept with magic as she had initially thought, and the many corridors were really just the same one over and over again. It was not impossible that the mare had fields guarding her ship that could cause any intruder to simply loop around and around for infinity.

So potent was this idea that Rainbow stopped in her tracks. She peered around at the monotone hall, looking for any indication that she might under the power of magic. Nothing other than the inanimate brass fixtures showed any promise. But one thing was enough. Only one good way to find out, Rainbow steeled herself, preparing to buck the nearest ornament. With a solid kick, she smashed her hoof against the feature, eliciting a ringing clang. She turned to inspect her handiwork, but before her eyes could take it in, her ears heard the dangerous whining. Instinct pushed her into a dive away from the device just in time to avoid a light spray of water accompanied by the sound of crackling, discharging energy. This contradiction prompted her to gaze back in confusion, and she bore witness to the brass fixture spewing light droplets like a garden decoration. But just as true was the screeching of the discharging energy.

Allowing the water to soak her body, Rainbow leaned up to peer within the hole her kick had made around the broken device. Within the wood rested a neat brass cylinder—etched with some strange letters—pink sparks flying over its surface from the crumpled end connected to the device outside. It was bizarre to Rainbow, and it was undeniably magic. Only, it was not of the kind she had been expecting. Judging by the water, she had just damaged a fire extinguisher.

Her fears were beginning to seem irrational and stupid now, and she was about to smack herself for such worry-wart behavior unbecoming of a pegasus of her caliber; when a soft scraping noise echoed behind her. After being in the silence of her own breath and hoofsteps for so long, the sound was like a beacon to her ears. Rainbow whipped around, bent low and ready for a fight. She was glad she was. Before her was an undeniable Changeling: pockmarked and black with solid blue eyes and a spiked body. It was emerging from an opening that had not been in the corridor the last time Rainbow had looked carrying a larger brass cylinder on its back. It and Rainbow saw one another at the exact same time, and both reacted the same way. Their eyes narrowed at one another; Rainbow smirked, the Changeling growled; and they both leapt with war cries at each other.

Even without her wings, Rainbow was faster with her hoof. She landed a solid blow to the Changeling’s chest, sending it crashing down with Rainbow not far behind. But the Changeling was no stranger to fighting it seemed. Before Rainbow could land atop it, the creature rolled away; coming back up and charging with its horn lowered. With grace born of a life in the clouds, Rainbow sidestepped and stuck out her her hind leg; tripping the Changeling into a dive. It screeched as it’s face impacted the wood and Rainbow pounced. This time she was fast enough, pinning the Changeling to the floor. But just as soon as she believed herself to be the victor, the shape-shifter turned and bit her leg. It’s fangs pierced Rainbow’s skin, and she reared back with a cry of pain. A green liquid painted her cyan fur around the bite, but she couldn’t worry about that for now. The Changeling was swinging its hoof, and Rainbow reacted on instinct. She ducked—the blow whipping the air around her mane—and lashed out with her own hoof. She had not meant to, but her blow broke straight through the Changeling’s hide, oozing green fluids. With disgust and shock, Rainbow yanked her gut-coated hoof out of the creature’s chest. It fell to the ground with a gurgling moan, dead with its blood leaking out onto the wood.

An emotion stronger than fear surged through Rainbow then. She had never killed anything before, let alone done it so directly. She had no guilt. It was a Changeling. But the simple act of taking its life was leaving her feeling drained and shell-shocked. She stared for the longest time at its broken body, but finally common sense began to ease its way back into her mind. She had to run. She had to escape. She was lucky to be alive. She was in the heart of the enemy’s stronghold, and if she pushed her luck any longer, she would likely never see Ponyville, Cloudsdale, or any of her friends ever again. She had to believe that Twilight’s own strength in magic would keep her safe, and that the allicorn’s desire for a facade would make sure she returned unharmed. So even if she had not found Twilight, nor stopped the allicorn by any means; Rainbow Dash had at least discovered something. The allicorn mare was twisted beyond comprehension to align herself with those creatures, and there was no way in Tartarus that she could be trusted or allowed to stay within Ponyville any longer.