• Published 18th Nov 2012
  • 3,966 Views, 220 Comments

Elements of Brotherhood - Fuster Cluck



Humanity investigates a possibly habitable planet. This curious planet.

  • ...
23
 220
 3,966

Chapter 9: Father of the year

“Okay, Artyom, hide in hear until I come to get you,” said Zhenya, Artyom’s father, as he shoved his son into a cabinet. Confused by what his father was doing, Artyom asked.

“Like hide and seek?”

Zhenya smiled a bit. “Yeah, just like hide and seek. If you win we’ll go and get ice-cream, but if you come out, you lose
and we won’t get ice-cream.” Artyom’s favourite dessert was ice-cream, this would most certainly get him to stay.

Zhenya shut the cabinet doors and stood up. A large bang came from the downstairs mud room. Artyom peeked through the crack in the cabinet door. He could see his dad’s muscular legs, standing in the middle of the kitchen. Another set of legs entered the kitchen, these ones wearing torn jeans and not as muscular. A voice different from his father’s began to speak.

“What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. I am contacted my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP was traced right here, so you better have prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little ‘clever’ comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.”

“It’s Guerilla, not gorilla you fucking dumbass”

A large bang rang out as Zhenya fell to the ground, clutching his stomach. The second pair of legs turned and walked towards the cabinet Artyom was hidden in. Luckily, he didn’t look n the cabinet. Unfortunately, he turned around to reveal a bottle of vodka.

The legs walked out of Artyom’s view and into the living room. The man began to poor the vodka all over the sofa. He then
took a match from the fireplace mantle, lit it, then threw it on the couch, igniting the alcohol. He then walked over to Zhenya, who was crawling towards the cabinet, leaned in and whispered.

“Burn” and then he left.

As the raging fire got larger, so did Zhenya’s desperation. He flung open the cabinet doors and grabbed Artyom. The fire was getting dangerously close and the heat was beginning to singe Zhenya’s beard. He had to get out of there, now.

With all his might, Zhenya began to get on his feet, his gunshot wound screaming in agony as he did. With Artyom in one arm, and his stomach in the other, Zhenya began to limp towards the hallway. He turned right, as the kitchen was completely consumed with fire. It was only ten feet from the kitchen to the staircase, but Zhenya was making agonizingly slow time. Finally, he reached the stairs landing, the fire now halfway down the hallway, and he began to limp down. Going down the stairs was easier than he expected, but was still a challenge.

Approaching the end of the stairs, Zhenya assumed there to be more stairs then there actually was. His foot collided with the shallower floor instead of a deeper step, throwing him off balance. Re-aligning his centre of gravity, he made for the door.

Zhenya collapsed on the grass, then laid his son beside him. Sirens became apparent in the distance. He ra his hand through Artyom’s hair and smiled.

“How about that ice cream?”

Then he went limp.


Artyom was pulled into a hug by his mother as he arrived at her house. He never liked his mother much, and with good reason. His father never needed to pay child support, but he did anyways, but instead of that money going towards Artyom’s upbringing, it went towards shopping and spa trips. And to top it off, his mother’s boyfriend was a complete asshole and would even beat him when she wasn’t around.

He wasn’t fond of the idea of having to stay at his mother’s house, but it was better than an orphanage or foster home he guessed. All his father’s possessions burned down with the fire, and the only thing left to remember him with was the Xbox, a retro console that his dad played when he was young.


Artyom awoke from the dream in a cold sweat. He rolled over and wrapped his arms around Luna’s stomach and rested
his cheek on hers. She let out a small moan as he began to spoon with her.

His first op into Gryphon territory was in a few weeks time and he needed to be ready. He couldn’t let these dreams get the best of him. Luna stirred and turned to face him.

“Trouble sleeping?” she asked.

“Yeah”

“What’s the matter?”

“Just memories”

“Would you like to talk about them?”

“I’ll tell you when I am ready” he said as he turned and fell asleep.

Author's Note:

Artyom is 8 when his father dies.