• Published 18th Nov 2012
  • 2,206 Views, 60 Comments

Broken Wings & Fractured Dreams - NobleQuickSilver



Two Pegasi will learn what they truly mean to each other

  • ...
5
 60
 2,206

Chapter 1

Broken Wings & Fractured Dreams

It was a dark and gloomy day. Huge dark storm clouds hung in the sky adding to the depressing atmosphere hanging over the small town of ponyville. All around ponies were running around frantically and erratically as if an Ursa Major had hit the town. Unicorns and earth ponies were running around in circles while dozens of pegasus flew through the skies.

All heading in separate directions, each with either a determined or scared expression. All except one, a blue pegasi who was flying faster than the rest, looking everywhere. Her rainbow mane blowing all over the place due to her speed, she had a job to do and she was determined not to fail it.

‘Where are you... What’s going on? No it doesn’t matter, I have to find her.’ Rainbow thought, all while keeping a brave face on. She flew all over town scanning the crowd of ponies that were running around looking for a specific pony. She searched the main plaza, the parks, alleyways, anywhere of significance she could think of, but her search was fruitless as she came no closer to finding who she was looking for. ‘Come on think Rainbow there has to be somewhere I haven’t thought of looking..... maybe, it wouldn’t hurt to check.’

She then shot off in a blur of colors heading for the outskirts of the town.

******

On top of a hillside just outside ponyville a small orange pegasus was laying on the grass her head buried deep within her hooves, tears soaking into her fur, but it didn’t matter to her as she could feel the first few drops of the rainstorm pelt her coat. ‘Life... It didn’t choose fairly for me. Do I deserve this?’ Scootaloo thought as she lifted her head to look at the dark and rainy sky.

She laid there for what felt like eternity, her mind reeling with depressing thoughts. “Scootaloo! Scoots, kid. Where are you!?” A voice shouted through the wind. Scootaloo looked around her to see who was calling her, she knew the voice, but didn’t want to be seen by its owner.

She looked around for a more secluded place where she could go before the pony shouting her name found her, but she wasn’t able to move fast enough as she heard something land behind her. She turned to see that it was the pony she admired more than anypony else. She saw the look of worry on her face. “Scootaloo, where have you been? The whole town has been looking for you for hours! Everypony has been worried sick, we thought you had gotten hurt or that something bad had happened to you.” Said Rainbow as she moved closer to the small pegasus.

Scootaloo looked at her soaked mentor, she could see her muscles flex and her wings expand as far as they could. To Scootaloo she looked magnificent like a Goddess in the rain and this only furthered to crush her to the core. “What do you want?...” The young pegasus asked bitterly. Rainbow could see something in her friend’s eye, but she couldn’t tell what it was. “Scoots... Come home, it’s raining and you’re gonna freeze out here. Actually why are you out here?” Rainbow asked while trying to look sympathetic.

“Just get outta here Dash... Somepony like you wouldn’t understand what I’m going through.”

“No. Tell me what’s going on, I don’t leave my friends behind.I”

“See those wings you have? Use them and fly away, you’re really talented at that.”

Rainbow extended her left wing and looked at it, confusion in her eyes. She moved beside her friend and hovered her wing above her. “There, that’s a good use for my wing. Now you’ll stopped getting soaked.” Dash said while smiling.

Scootaloo couldn’t help, but smile. Even she couldn’t be mad at Rainbow Dash, no matter how much she tried she just couldn’t force her hero to leave. “Dash... I’m sorry, but you just wouldn’t understand...” Scootaloo said while looking at the wet grass beneath her.

“Tell me what’s wrong, and I’ll try to help you anyway I can. If I can’t then will find somepony who can.” she said while trying to reassure the small filly. “You can’t help me, nopony can,” Scootaloo answered dejectedly, “And you wouldn’t be able to understand how I’m feeling even if I told you.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean how would you be able to understand me given all your accomplishments and all the others things you’ve done,” said Scootaloo a faint bit of resentment in her voice.

“You were the winner of The Best Young Flyers Competition, also known as one of Ponyville’s best athletes, and as the only pony able to perform the Sonic Rainboom. Yet all I can do is barely even flap my wings, and even then i can’t do that correctly.”

“Oh...,” Rainbow said as it all came clear to her. “I see... Scootaloo, you shouldn’t worry over this, you’ll learn to fly soon. We all learn in our own time, some just learn a little later that’s all.” Scootaloo turned to face the blue pegasus. “That’s easy for you to say! Greatest flyer in all of Equestria with no worries at all, the element of loyalty. Hero of Equestria! And what am I!? Nothing! I am nothing, I shouldn’t of been born, nothing, but wasted potential!,” Scootaloo shouted, her breathing speeding up.

“Born a pegasi, but forced to live as an earth pony, and even without their skills! I am useless!” Rainbow Dash sat perfectly still, looking at the filly, but she was stunned. She couldn’t believe such a young filly was bottling up all this emotion, but worst of all... She felt guilty for not noticing it sooner.

“Scoots you have the ability to fly, you’ll learn soon enough! I promise you this and if it doesn’t happen... Then I’ll give up my dream of becoming part of the wonderbolts!” Rainbow Dash said firmly. She looked up to sky to see the rain had stopped pouring down and the sun was starting to rise.

“Well, how about we see if I really can fly” Scootaloo said tauntingly.

“What do you mean?” responded Rainbow Dash a bit worried by the filly’s tone.

“We’re going to see if I can actually fly?”

“How?,”

Scootaloo slowly walked to the edge of the hillside, and looked down to see how big of a fall it was. Rainbow got worried as she saw her inch closer to the cliff, afraid of what scootaloo might do. “Scootaloo, what are you doing? Come back here it’s dangerous.”

“It shouldn’t be dangerous for a pegasus that can fly.”

“You can’t possibly be thinking about jumping, are you?” responded Dash a bit scared of what the filly was implying.

“Like you said Rainbow I’ll learn soon enough, and what better way to learn than to jump off a cliff. Either I’ll learn to fly or the world will be rid of one useless pegasus.” she answered grimly as she stood near the edge.

“Don’t do it Scootaloo, you don’t need to do this to see if you can fly or not.” said Dash clearly scared of what might happen, “There has to be another way to see if you can fly or not.”

“No, this is the only way I’ll be able to see if I was meant to fly or if I’ve been cursed to never soar through the skies in my life.” she said as she mentally prepared herself for what she was about to do.

“You’re wrong ther-”

Whatever Rainbow was going to say was cut off as Scootaloo threw herself from the cliff. Rainbow barely had time to react as she quickly ran to the edge, and jumped right after her in hopes that she could catch her before she hit the bottom.

Scootaloo was falling at high speed towards the ground, her mane blowing around her face, but for the first time in her life... She felt free. She felt like a true Pegasus, she felt like Rainbow Dash. She started to flap her wings confident that she would soar to the sky, but they didn’t take her up.
She tried with all her might, but it only caused her wings pain and soon enough fear took over. The ground was coming closer, she wasn’t far from it, but she could hear something behind her. Rainbow Dash was behind her, her wings flapping like never before and she praying for a sonic rainboom, but at this height it would never happen.

‘Scootaloo... Please Celestia no, let me reach her!’ Rainbow Dash thought as she got closer to the free falling filly. Scootaloo was an inch away from the ground when she felt something hit and a loud thud. She could feel herself sliding across the ground, but she didn’t feel the ground itself she felt something else.

Dust surrounded her when she came to a stop and she quickly noticed what it was she felt, she was wrapped in the embrace of her hero. She lay on the floor, her wings twisted and bleeding. Her coat filthy from the dirt she hit, with small pebbles stuck in her fur. Scootaloo was unharmed and stood up, she looked into her friend’s eyes and could see she was in great pain.

“Dash... Why?... Why did you do that!? I wasn’t worth it!” Scootaloo said, shaking her hero. Rainbow Dash coughed up blood and smiled at Scootaloo. “Not worth it... You are worth so much more... Wings or no wings you are still Scootaloo, the filly I love. Please Scoots... If you do anything let it be this, please believe in yourself, you are worth my life.” Rainbow Dash whispered weakly.

Scootaloo could feel her eyes starting to water up, but she tried to keep it together. “Dash... Don’t die on me! Don’t die, I need you please! Dash please don’t leave me all alone again!” Scootaloo shouted into the morning air as her hero slipped into unconsciousness. “Love you Scoots, continue my legacy kid.” She whispered as her vision finally stopped.

As the sun reached its highest peak in the sky Scootaloo’s cries could be heard throughout the air, she hugged her friend’s body and whispered “I’m sorry... I’m so sorry.”