• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 4,469 Views, 188 Comments

The Symphony of Love Keeps No Rhythm - aKaPinkiePie



Vinyl's former best friend Octavia comes to Manehattan after being in Canterlot for five years.

  • ...
8
 188
 4,469

Reservations

It was finally time to leave for tonight's show. Even though Octavia would never admit it, she was really hyped about it. Vinyl had only managed to convince her to join a nightclub once before. That was over six years ago, and Octavia could not a remember a thing. When she woke up with a huge urge to puke and the worst hangover of her life she took the hint of what had happened the day before.

Octavia would never let that happen again. She still could not grasp why ponies would drink that much. By herself she was not too picky on what she drank as long as it tasted good, but scotch was definitely her preferred drink.

When they finally arrived at the club Vinyl worked in they were surprised by the long line. It was at least twenty ponies waiting to come in. It was gonna take an eternity to get inside.

“Aw, we’re never gonna get inside at this point!” Octavia let out an undignified cry. That was very unlike her. Vinyl already started having an effect on her personality.

“We would be stuck here for a long time indeed, but I’m famous remember?” Spitfire said with a grin as she trotted towards the front of the line. Octavia caught up quickly not wanting to be left behind.

“I do tend to forget that.”

“And that’s why we’re such good friends!” They both gave a hearty chuckle at that. Spitfire, as many other celebrities, got sick of the constant fanmares, and colts who wanted nothing but autographs. Octavia herself did luckily not experience that due to the nature of the high class ponies. She did envy Spitfire a little though. It was nice having a genuine fan of her music every now and then instead of ponies liking it because of status.

As they walked past the line they could hear fans screaming out Spitfire’s name, trying to get her attention. There were also a couple of ponies who were angry about them not having to wait, but that did not really matter to Spitfire and Octavia.

“Heya guys!” Spitfire shouted, receiving a loud section of cheering in return. “I’m sorry but I don’t have time to sign autographs today, I’m meeting up with someone in the club. Though I will sign autographs after the next wonderbolts show next week, be sure to join us then!”

Octavia was amazed about how easily Spitfire handled the situation. Suddenly there was a roar of applauding hooves and cheers. Spitfire gave a short bow before she and Octavia entered the nightclub. Once inside, Spitfire’s celebrity status was forgotten completely. Everybody was to busy banging their heads and moving their flanks to the loud music playing.

The place was huge and filled with flashing lights, dancing ponies and speakers. Even though Octavia hated to admit it, she regretted not going out more often. Classical music was her call and she loved it, but sometimes it was nice to let loose with some of the crazy fast-paced music she had no idea what to call.

On the stage was Vinyl, operating the mixing tables like a god. Even though Octavia had no idea what she did, it looked damn impressive. Vinyl spotted them and flashed a huge grin before looking over at the bartender and waving at him. She then proceeded to point at Octavia and Spitfire and the bartender nodded. The bartender signaled for them to come over to the bar.

“So you’re Vinyl’s friends ey? Nice to meet ya, I’m Jayce. All your drinks are on the house tonight, though try not getting way too drunk before Vinyl is able to accompany you,” Jayce said with a smirk. “Also, the VIP lounge is reserved for you. Someone there wants to meet you.”

“Thanks a lot. I will have to say no thanks to the drinks for now, but I assure you I will come back later,” Octavia said with a genuine smile.

“Yeah, I’ll do the same,” Spitfire replied.

They proceeded to the stairs marked VIP with a bouncer in front. Upon spotting the mares he gave them a smile and stood aside.They proceeded up the stairs into a huge room with windows allowing them to look down at the dance-floor.

Octavia could not help but stare at the DJ working her way trough the current song. Octavia did not recognise it, but she sure did not complain. She found herself unable to tear her eyes from the white unicorn. Soon the world was lost to her, only the music and Vinyl was there. A new song started and Octavia found herself bobbing her head slightly.

Never coming down, ever since the day she left the crown. She ain’t never coming down, ever since the day she left the crown.

The words repeated a while before the song changed slightly.

She’s gonna be my ecstasy, a source upon my misery. She’s be the one that holds me down. She’s gonna be the one who holds me down.

Though the lyrics repeated trough the whole song, Octavia found herself more drawn by them each time. They did pretty much to describe how she felt about Vinyl. Usually Octavia only felt the sound of the music, but this song. She felt like every part of it was a part of herself. There was no doubt she had to ask Vinyl what song this was.

“I knew it!” Spitfire suddenly exclaimed.

“Huh?” Octavia was snapped out of her trance.

“You have a thing for that filly don’t you?”

“Is it really that obvious?” Octavia asked a little flushed.

“Definitely. The way you look at her kinda tells you away. Also, the way you blushed both times I mentioned her gave me a clue,” Spitfire said with a huge grin. “You have to tell me all about it!”

Before Octavia could reply, the sound of hoofsteps could be heard in the room. A stallion’s voice spoke up. “Spitfire. Octavia. Nice to finally meet you.”