• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 4,470 Views, 188 Comments

The Symphony of Love Keeps No Rhythm - aKaPinkiePie



Vinyl's former best friend Octavia comes to Manehattan after being in Canterlot for five years.

  • ...
8
 188
 4,470

Restaurants

“That would be twenty bits,” Spitfire said to Neon with a smirk.

“How’d you do that?” Neon looked at Spitfire with disbelief.

“That’s so cheap!” Octavia scowled at Spitfire. “Using my trust to win bets, and you don’t even give me any of the profit?!”

“That’s how I roll,” Spitfire grinned at Octavia.

“But I thought we were friends,” The earth pony cried with a pout on her mouth. She knew that Spitfire hated feeling she’d let someone down. It was very unlike Octavia to do things like this, but she and Spitfire understood each other beyond most ponies. Therefore they knew each other’s limits, and Octavia was far from poking them.

“Aw, what do you want this time?” Damn, Spitfire saw past her little scheme. Okay, that was so unlike Octavia. Maybe Vinyl had influenced her a little more than she thought. Wait, if she had been this influenced in one day. She shuddered at the thought of how she would be within the New Year’s Eve.

“Oh, ehm. You see this bar means a lot to me, and Joe might have to close it up if he can’t increase the income by about thirty percent. I’m pretty sure a couple of mentions of it in an interview or two should do the trick,” Octavia said with a cheap smile.

Spitfire gave her a sly smile. “Sure, but I need you to promise me something.” Something about that smirk put Octavia at a little unease.

“Promise what exactly?”

“I can’t talk about it right now, I’ll explain later okay?” She gave Octavia a little more of a pleading expression this time.

“Okay, I promise.”

The rest of the lunch was pretty much eventless. They paid their bill and prepared to leave. Neon had some paperwork to do and Spitfire had an interview to set up. As soon as Neon had left, however, Spitfire turned to Octavia.

“Sorry about that earlier. I just don’t want Neon to know quite yet. I want you to play at our wedding, Octavia.”

The gray mare’s jaw dropped. “Y-You’re getting married?” “Well. No. Kind of? It’s complicated. We’ve talked about it, and we both want to do it. We simply just ain’t sure where to start. Though I think he’s going to propose to me soon, so I kinda started planning the wedding a little early,” The pegasus said with a sheepish smile.

“I would absolutely love to play at your wedding,” Octavia grinned at Spitfire

Octavia noticed Vinyl had been uncharacteristically silent for the last ten minutes. That’s weird; the mare usually talked twice as much as Octavia. Had she done something? Maybe Vinyl was having afterthoughts? Oh no, this could not be good. The cellist felt a tingle of panic build up in her mind.

Her thoughts were interrupted for a second as Spitfire shouted them a goodbye. Octavia mindlessly waved back at her while Vinyl did not even notice. Okay, something was definitely wrong with Vinyl and Octavia was about to freak out.

Before she could go into full panic the rational part of her brain spoke up again and told her to ask Vinyl what was on her mind. “Hey Vinyl.”

“Huh, oh sorry. I zoned out. What’s up?”

“You’ve been so quiet lately, is something bothering you?” Octavia looked at her with concern.

“Actually, I have a surprise for you. I’m just really nervous you might not like it,” Vinyl admitted.

“Aw, that’s so adorable!” Octavia squealed and gave Vinyl a nuzzle. Vinyl blushed and muttered something that Octavia could not understand.

“Well the surprise ain’t before later tonight. Anything you wanna do while waiting?”

“We could take a walk in the park,” Octavia grinned. She’d been doing that a lot lately; no one could blame her though. It was all Vinyl’s fault.

“Sure.” With that the two mares trotted off towards the general direction of Manehattan gardens.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was finally time for the big surprise. Vinyl had been spending the whole day telling herself that Octavia would enjoy this as much as herself. Despite all her convincing she did not believe herself for a second. There was nothing she could do now though. “Tavi, we got to leave now for the surprise,” Vinyl said with nervousness in her voice.

“I can’t wait,” Octavia grinned at Vinyl and gave her a peck on the cheek. This calmed the DJ more than she could ever had guessed.

The two ponies walked down the dimly lit streets. The sun was starting to descend, but the streetlights had not woken quite yet. There were a few ponies bustling around, some enjoying the evening while others were closing up their stores.

After fifteen minutes of walking Vinyl stopped in front of a decent looking building. The outside was decorated with two huge windows allowing and a wooden door. Above the windows was a neon light with the text “The Musician’s Slice“ written on it.

They entered the restaurant where music could be heard from inside. Vinyl walked up to a gray stallion standing behind something that looked like a podium. “Reservations for Vinyl Scratch,” She said with a small nervous smile.

“Ah, yes. A table for two?”

“Yeah.”

“Come with me,” the stallion said and started walking into the restaurant. He led them to a table near one of the windows. “Have a nice meal,” he said with a genuine smile.

Octavia and Vinyl sat down at the table. “This looks so amazing. How did you find it?”

“It opened up a few days ago, even though it’s not as fancy as Canterlot restaurants it’s quite the place.” Before they could continue their conversation a waiter came over with a couple of menus.

Vinyl and Octavia started browsing through them and after a while they both seemed to have settled on their orders. It only took a few seconds before the waiter came back and took their orders. While Octavia ordered a Delphinium salad with white Stephanotis, Vinyl ordered an Aquialgea Magpie salad. Before the waiter left, however, Vinyl whispered something to her. She gave her a nod and a smile before trotting off.


About a minute later the song switched to something a little different. After a few seconds Octavia started recognizing the tune. Her jaw dropped. “I-Is that? I had completely forgotten about that song.” Octavia’s mind went into a complete shutdown. The only thing her mind could comprehend was the fact that she loved Vinyl more than anything else in this entire world.