• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 4,470 Views, 188 Comments

The Symphony of Love Keeps No Rhythm - aKaPinkiePie



Vinyl's former best friend Octavia comes to Manehattan after being in Canterlot for five years.

  • ...
8
 188
 4,470

Reminiscing

Octavia and Vinyl sat in what used to be their booth in the bar. Vinyl was intensely listening as Octavia told her story about her life in Canterlot. About how she’d joined an ensemble and how they became well known over the course of the years. About how they had gotten to play during the Grand Galloping Galla, despite the chaos it was one of her best memories. They were only interrupted by Joe bringing them a drink each. When he was gone Vinyl had a question lingering in the back of her hear.

“But why did you come back? You had successes, wealth, friends. You even played at a royal Galla. You achieved your dreams! Why return back here?”

“Because despite the fame my dream was not playing for those stuck up ponies. Also might have to do with that my dear friend Spitfire made me realise how much I really missed you.” Instead of the usual comment about how cheesy that was Vinyl usually would give Octavia, she had dropped her jaw.

“You know Spitfire! The Spitfire? Like in Wonderbolts Spitfire?” Vinyl squealed. “Octavia knows Spitfire? That’s so awesome!” After a couple of seconds she managed to calm down. “You failed to mention that in your story. How did you two meet?”

It was late morning, the sun was shining bright and ponies roamed the streets. Some were busy others just enjoying a nice day. The victory screams of hoofball playing colts could be heard in the distance, while the fillies played in a more silent way. Many would consider this a perfect summer day.

Well, there was always an exception. This time it was in the form of a cellist playing earthpony. Everything had gone wrong for her today. First she’d had problems sleeping in her new apartment. This lead to her waking up way later than usually, but of course that was not the end of her problems. Her fridge was completely empty, coffee reserves was empty and the market usually closed up early on Sundays.

After about ten attempts she could finally find an open stand. Octavia bought all the groceries she needed and started walking back home. Only one problem, she had no idea where she was. During her hunt for a stand Octavia managed to get lost. In the middle of a new city. Which happened to be the capitol of Equestria. It did not help that her saddlebags was filled to the brink, she even had a couple of bags in her mouth.

Octavia suppressed the urge to growl. Happy thoughts Octavia. Happy thoughts. It can’t possibly become any worse right? As on cue she could feel something hit her side and she tumbled over. Of course it could be worse. Well she did kind of walk into that one. Right?

Beside Octavia did whatever hit her seem to shoot back up. She decided to get a better look at it and turned over. In front of her now stood a hooded pony. A rather intimidating yellow pony hidden behind a black hood. Orange eyes staring back at her. Octavia was sure this was it. Today she was going to die.

The mysterious ponies hoof raised in front of her. No way, there was no way she was going to survive this. Before Octavia could start listing the things she should had done different something grabbed her hoof and raised her to her hooves.

“Sorry about that. I should had watched where I went. Are you okay?” A mare? Maybe this was not the end after all. “Let me help you with those,” she said and started picking up Octavias groceries.

“I-It’s okay. I can handle it.” Octavia had still not snapped out of the shock. Believing you were gonna die does that to you.

“No, I insist. After all I ran you down and scattered them all over the place.” There was something about that voice that Octavia recognised. She decided to let it go.

“If you insist.” The mare did not seem entirely stable minded so Octavia decided not to argue with her. “You would not be able to point me towards Lunar Street 204? I think I lost track of direction.”

“Ah, so you’re new to Canterlot then? Well today is your lucky day!” The earthpony mare rolled her eyes at that. “ I just happen to be heading the same way. Might as well join you.” The hooded mare said with a creepy smile. Octavia was already starting to dislike this place.

Despite Octavias worries her apartment was just a ten minutes walk down the street. When the mare followed her inside the block house Octavia could feel fear building in her. Maybe she could knock the mare out with her cello and call the guards? Yeah, that sounds like a plan.

When finally inside the apartment she instantly started trotting towards her cello. Good thing it stood by the doorway to the kitchen. That way it did not look suspicious. Right? Just as she was about to grab her instrument the crazy mare spoke up.

“Thank Celestia I can finally take this hood of. Do you have any idea how warm it is in this weather?”

“I can only imagine.” Octavia turned to see who this mare really was. Her jaw went slack. In the living room of her apartment stood none but the famous Wonderbolts Captain Spitfire. “You’re Spitfire?”

“The one and only.” She said with a smirk. “Not used to having famous ponies in your house?”

“Not exactly. Want some tea?”

“Sure!”

“Next thing I knew we started visting eachother regularly. We’ve been good friends ever since. How about you Vinyl. How’s life been over here?”

“Pretty much the same as when you left. Only difference is that I started working in a nightclub down street. Oh my god. Tavi! I have work later today, you should totally come!” Vinyls energy started bubbling up.

“I’ll have to check my appointments,” Octavia said in a joking manner. Vinyl pouted at her before breaking into a grin.

“It’s good to have you back Tavi.”

“It’s good to be back. Oh and before I forget, may Spitfire join? She absolutely loves nightclubs.”

“Are you kidding with me? That would be so cool! I’ll make sure to have a VIP ready for you guys. I’m pretty sure the boss is gonna love the news. Talking about boss, he wanted me to come by early today to set some new speakers up. See you later then?”

“Sure thing Vinyl,” Octavia said and gave her friend a hug. The white mare turned to walk out the door. “Bye!” Octavia called out with a smile. A long lost friend had finally been returned to her, and today had been just perfect!