• Published 17th Nov 2012
  • 4,469 Views, 188 Comments

The Symphony of Love Keeps No Rhythm - aKaPinkiePie



Vinyl's former best friend Octavia comes to Manehattan after being in Canterlot for five years.

  • ...
8
 188
 4,469

Realisation

The world was lost to Octavia as she trotted down the streets of Manehattan. It was not that she did not want the world there, she simply just did not care about it at the moment. Right now all she cared about was the happy nostalgic memories she had of her friend. But there was something else among them. Something she had done her best to forget.

It was stupid really. She had no idea when or why she had started harboring the little feeling. Eventually it had bloomed into something beyond her control. The best she could do was suppress it in public. It was not a feat she was proud of, but it was necessary to keep a stable friendship with Vinyl.

Octavia knew this was not healthy. And with all that time she had been without Vinyl she was not sure she would be able to keep up the facade anymore. Even though they had only talked for a couple of hours she knew the feelings were back. They probably never left her in the first place.

Before she could make up her mind about what to do she was standing in front of Spitfire’s apartment. Once again she put the train of thoughts to the side and knocked on the door. It did not take long before the wonderbolt opened the door. She looked Octavia up and down before breaking into a grin.

“Well you’re just screaming happiness. I take it went well?”

“Better than I ever could ever have imagined. We would probably still had been talking if Vinyl did not have to get work ready for her.”

“Is it not usually the other way around?”

“It sounded better in my head. She had to prepare the set she’s playing at a nightclub, and she invited us to her show!” Octavia now wore a grin that even a school filly with a crush would be ashamed to see.

“Whoa filly, calm down! You look like the time you got that invitation to play at the gala. Smile any wider and you might have to take over as the element of laughter,” Spitfire joked. Octavia let out a little giggle. “Is it Vinyl?”

Octavia was caught off guard by that question. What was Spitfire even asking about? “What? Of course it’s Vinyl I talked with today.”

“No, no I meant you obviously have a crush on somepony” Before she could keep going with her explanation Octavia interrupted her

“What? N-no! I don’t have a crush on anypony!”

“Yeah, because those burning red chins of you don’t give you away at all,” Spitfire said apparently amused by Octavias reaction.

“It’s true!” Octavia cried in a desperate attempt, she then tried changing tactic. “You never did reply though. Will you be joining the nightclub?”

“Of course! I would never miss out on a night out. This is also a special occasion,” Spitfire said with a sly grin.

“A special occasion?” Octavia was afraid she had not managed to distract Spitfire from their earlier conversation topic.

“Yeah. You, are going to a nightclub. This must be a once in a lifetime experience!” She said with a laugh. Octavia gave an unamused chuckle at that.

“Haha, very funny. So we’ve got a couple of hours before the club opens. Got anything planned?”

“TV and pizza sound good to you?”

“For being a wonderbolt you’re really lazy, you know that?”

“That’s unfair! We only get a couple of breaks during flying season, of course I’m going to chill out when I get one. Do you have any idea how lucky I was to be able to come down here? The only reason I was able to get here is because Fleetfoot is retiring in a month and we need a new member. Luckily that speedster Rainbow Dash was able to come into audition this weekend while so I could take a break. Also, you really never have been to a nightclub before have you? When we come home tonight I can promise you that you will slump right down at the floor refusing to ever get back up.” There was no doubt. Octavia had managed to distract Spitfire enough to lay down the topic of her feelings.

Maybe she should admit her feelings for Vinyl to Spitfire? Talking with someone about it sure would be nice. On the other hand, Spitfire did tend to do crazy stuff. Definitely a bad idea. And how could she talk about her feelings with someone when she by herself was not even sure what her feelings were.

Well that was just denial. Octavia knew that, but still could not help it. Obviously it could never work out. Was Vinyl even into mares? Octavia had never seen any sign of it when they used to hang out. Maybe she’d just never looked close enough. Nah, she was pretty sure she would notice if Vinyl was seeing someone considering they hung out all the time. That would be the first step for Octavia to figure out her own feelings. Seeing if the mare she -thought- she’d fallen for.

Then what? She could not risk ruining the friendship she had just gotten back, but she could not just let the feelings bottle up. Maybe they would disappear if she waited for long enough? Maybe she would find someone else? Yeah that had to be the best answer. She did not need love. She had good friends and she had her music. What more would she need?

That was a lie she should stop telling herself. Back in Canterlot she had her music, she had friends and even fame. But one thing was missing from her life. That’s why she moved back. As much as she had tried telling herself otherwise it was true. She could no longer deny it. In the end she had returned because she loved Vinyl, and nopony was going to deny her that! Okay, there was one pony who would stop her from it and she knew it. But honestly, how could she fight herself?