• Published 5th Jan 2012
  • 2,534 Views, 86 Comments

Classroom of the future - Paradise Oasis



For Cheerilee, future shock has a whole new meaning...

  • ...
4
 86
 2,534

Go west, young Cheerilee, go west!

Go west, young Cheerilee, go west!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The engine’s whistle echoed through Eagle canyon, as the mighty engine thundered it's way along the ancient tracks towards the Buffalo country. The Ponyland express was the last remaining train in operation on the continent, running between Fort Rainbow Dash, and the Buffalo country. For the land of the Bison tribes is the only place safe enough for trains to still run, free of the threat of goblin armies or mages with destructive fireball spells.

Out here, the massive iron beast tore along it's tracks. Steamer, the train's earth pony engineer, operated the levers and stoked the great furnace with coal, even as ash and soot darkened his pink coat and mane . Black smoke bellowed out of the smokestack, filling the sky with a dark cloud. Small animals along the tracks scrambled to get out of the way, well aware of what would happen if they got caught beneath those iron wheels.

On one of the train's passenger cars, rode the former teacher Cheerilee, with her newly acquired family. Quackers was looking out at the scenery, watching the countryside go by. Cheerilee, meanwhile, was sitting silently in one of the passenger seats, with her head drooping. Wigwam was gently stroking her mane and nuzzling her, trying his best to comfort the distraught mare.

"I...I just can't believe majesty's council would do that to me..." The pink mare whimpered forlornly. "Every thing was going so well... I just can't fathom what I had possibly done wrong..."

"You know how politicians can be, my love." Her husband replied, shaking his mane. "Majesty is a good ruler, I'm sure she will have those picky old hens straightened out by the time we get home!"

"I sure hope your right..." Cheerilee trailed off, as she her attention turned to the other passengers on the train.

As the teacher looked around the posh, velvet lined train car, and was amazed by how many of Ponyland's races were aboard the car; Rat folk from Munsterville, or the goblinoid Grundles from their subterranean caves. There were also foreign visitors, such as the pair of Screean birds playing poker on the other side of the car, or the two mole-like Blark merchants, haggling over a jewel of some sort.

"Wow, there sure are a lot of different kinds on this train!" Cheerilee exclaimed. "In fact, I think we're the only ponies aboard!"

"Most of these passengers will be staying on the train, after it leaves Buffalo country." Wigwam explained. "They are all going to Screea, where the bird folk's casinos and gambling establishments are a popular draw for the nonpony folk."

"Wow Miss Cheeriwiwee! -QUACK!" The white filly quacked. "Dere is a wot of open countwy out here -QUACK!- But where are deh bison?"

"They are all probably near their village, little one." The pink earth pony responded. "Wigwam told me they are holding some kind of ceremony tonight."

"Yes, a sacred dance, to honor the ancestors." The earth stallion replied. "It is a ritual of remembrance, to pay tribute to those who had come before."

It was at that point that the large iron behemoth slowly came to stop, as steam rolled off the wheels. Steamer trotted back into the luxurious purple passenger car, and bellowed loudly.

"Now arriving, Bisonfield pass!" The train-loving stallion yelled. "Everybody off!"

"Boy, that Steamer! You should see his and Posey's room back at the castle!" Wigwam said with a chuckle. "He's filled it with every train model in existence! That stallion's driven Posey and their daughter to their wit's end!"

"Now Wigwam! I think you are exaggerating!" Cheerilee chided. "Buttons and Slugger's little girl told me he never forces his special talent down his family's throat!"

"Of course she'd defend Steamer." Wigwam shook his mane. "He gave Baby Buttons a limited edition Lionel model train from the human world for her last birthday!"

As the two ponies disembarked from the train, they found themselves at a trading post like fort, where ponies and other species traded and haggled with Bison. It was then, that Cheerilee got her first glimpse of the magnificent creatures; large, powerfully built behemoths, with frames bigger than any pony. The teacher was struck silent, as one of the Buffaloes noticed the three ponies, and came striding up to the family.

"Ahhhh! Brother Wigwam!" The large Bison greeted him. "I am pleased to see you have returned to us! And you have brought your family with you, as well!"

"Thank you, my brother." The earth pony said with a smile. "Cheerilee, I'd like to introduce you to my friend Shining Feather. Shining Feather, this is my wife, Cheerilee."

"A pleasure, my dear." The Buffalo stood up, and bowed to her. "It is an honor to meet you."

"Oh no, the pleasure is all mine!" The pink earth mare whinnied politely back.

"And this is my daughter, Quackers." Wigwam gestured towards the little filly.

"Hello, small one!" Shining Feather nodded towards Quackers

"Wow! A weal buffawo pony! -QUACK!-" The little filly quacked excitedly. "Do you have a tepee? Can I shee your bow and awow? -QUACK!"

Both Cheerilee and Wigwam looked terribly embarrassed.

"I apologize for my daughters... insensitivity." Cheerilee whinnied in a guilty tone.

"Ha Ha! Think nothing of it, my dear!" The large buffalo bellowed with laughter. "It is merely the innocence of youth. One does not hold the mistakes of childhood against a child!"

"Cheerilee, Shining feather stood in for me at my adoption into the tribe ceremony!" Wigwam explained. "He is like a brother to me!"

"Wow, you must have quite a few stories about Wigwam!" The pink earth mare chuckled.

"Oh, he is capable of getting into trouble, let me tell you that!" Shining Feather replied. "But come, the tribe is waiting for your return, with a great and glorious feast!"

...

The four of them trotted out from the trading post, towards a path that led out across the open plains. After trotting along the path for nearly an hour, they came to the buffalo tribe's village. Row after row of Teepees were organized in neat rows, all arraigned around a large circular area with a campfire site. Each of the teepees was decorated with colorful images of tribal stampedes and battles past- the proud history of the bison tribes stitched out in beautiful art.

The three of them were quickly led past several buffalo families, up to a large tent near the center. Out of the big teepee stepped the largest Bison Cheerilee had ever seen.

"Cheerilee, this is Chief Steelhoof." Wigwam introduced the gigantic bison. "He's is the leader of this tribe, and great chief of the surrounding tribes."

"It is an honor to meet you, your Excellency." Cherilee bowed very low. "My family and I are deeply grateful, that you would allow us to be your guests."

"Ah! So this is Wigwam's spouse!" Steelhoof rumbled in a deep but gentle voice. "It is a pleasure to have you and your noble family here with us for this occasion! Please, enjoy yourselves at the feast!"

The meal that followed was one of the beast Cheerilee had ever tasted- with everything from corn to squash was served. The tribal dance followed, and the pink earth pony watched in awe as the painted, feather-clad bison danced around the fire. She admired their graceful and powerful movements, and almost wished she could join them in the dance. Quackers fell in among the bison children, whooping and hollering and dancing up a storm as her adopted family looked on.

It was soon that night fell over the camp, as all of the bison and the three ponies looked on, sitting around the large, roaring fire. Cheerilee was wearing a beaded headband with a feather in it- a gift from the buffalo tribe squaws- and was seated next to her husband and daughter.

It was then, that Shining Feather came trotting up. "Ah, miss Cheerilee! So wonderful to see you a our festivities! Tell me, are our enjoying our hospitality?"

"Oh, Yes! The meal was quite amazing!" The teacher beamed. "I especially enjoyed that delicious apple pie your wives made! I'll have to get the recipe!"

"That was a recipe passed on to our tribe long ago, by the long-vanished Apploosians." Shining Feather snorted. "Those ponies disappeared from these lands, after the fall of Equestria."

"I had heard the town had been long abandoned." Cheerilee shook her mane. "Still, I am happy that ponykind is threatening to take your land no longer."

"Yes, we get along well with all equines now." The buffalo agreed. "Yet I sense that your spirit is not at ease, and you are greatly troubled by something."

"Let's just say my life has taken a turn for the worse right now." The earth mare sighed, her ears drooping. "I feel lost... and don't know where to turn, or what to do next."

"If it is guidance you seek, perhaps the Rainbow Ponies could be of assistance." The bison stroked his small fuzzy beard. "They are on spiritual retreat here in our lands, and perhaps they could offer you some insight, on your path to enlightenment."

"The rainbow pony monks are here?" Cheerilee's ears perked up. "Where can I find them?"

"At our tribal medicine lodge." Shining Feather answered solemnly. "They are meditating there, in hopes of unlocking many of the secrets of the universe."

"Thank You, Shining Feather." She whinnied, before getting up and trotting towards the lodge. She looked back at her family. "Wigwam, could you keep an eyes on Quackers? I'll be back shortly."

...

Meanwhile, back at Dream Castle, Twilight Shine was busy putting books away on her shelf... while at the same time getting an earful from two of her best friends.

"Twilight, I really think your makin' a big mistake with Cheerilee!" Applejack snorted angrily at her friend. "You and Moondancer are ruining a good mare's life, just because your a little suspicious!"

"I know what you're saying, AJ, but we can't take a risk with the herd!" the pink unicorn snorted back. "Remember when that changeling minion of Katrina's almost stole the rainbow of light? He disguised himself as a pony, and almost made off with our herd's greatest treasure! We have to be careful, even with those we believe to be ponies!"

"I think Tornado's paranoia is starting to rub off on you, Twi!" Glory whinnied. "You're becoming almost as neurotic as your goofy husband!"

"Applejack, would you take and chances with your daughter or son?" Twilight stamped her hoof. "Would you risk your children's lives, Glory? Then don't ask me to risk Ember's!"

"Twilight, Majesty or at least half of the council never would have taken Moondancer's rantings seriously, if you hadn't interjected." Glory reasoned with her. "Your suspicions are directly responsible for Cheerilee losing her job!"

"My friends, Cheerilee will be thoroughly investigated!" Twilight responded. "And if her story checks out, she'll be restored to her position with a full apology."

"All this because you think Cheerilee is a fake!" Glory snorted angrily.

"No, Glory... she remembered too much of Cheerilee's life to have been a fabricated pony, and Spike told me Cheerilee did actually disappear at about that age." Twilight shook her mane. "And after examining the residual magic in the schoolroom, I've determined that the book actually did have a flesh and blood pony trapped within it's pages. She's the real thing, girls."

"Then something else is bothering you, isn't it Twi?" Applejack asked, concerned. "You've been on edge ever since we returned from the Ponyville site."

"Tornado and I have been translating several of the ancient Penna texts, that North Star brought back from her last dig." The pink unicorn looked away. "We've been finding something... troubling... as we read further and further into the texts."

"What do they say?" Glory asked curiously. She was always curious about the ancient bird civilization that had existed in Ponyland, before the coming of ponies!

"Over and over again, they speak of an ancient evil. Older and more powerful than Grogar, or Tirek, or even Discord." Twilight shook her mane. "Tell me AJ, did Twilight Sparkle ever tell you what eldritch horrors lie behind the sealed gates of Tartarus, or why they were built in the first place?"

"Those gates were already ancient in my lifetime, Twi. Nopony ever knew how or why they were built." The orange earth mare whinnied. "Celestia only knew that ancient horrors lay imprisoned beyond them, and set the dog Cerberus to guard the doors."

"Those gates were old in the Penna's time, and even they knew little of whence they came." Twilight's eyes darted around nervously. "But they do know that the abomination unspeakable... or the Tirac, in their language, had been sealed."

"So that's where the dark lord Tirek took his name from." Glory said with a shiver. "But what does all of this have to do with Cheerilee?"

"The other day, Gypsy told me she had a vision while reading her cards." Twilight snorted. "She said she saw a young filly release a great evil from behind a door... one which would terrorize dream valley. And she said she wasn't sure how, but that Cheerilee was responsible."

"So you think the door Gypsy saw was in her vision was the Tartarus gates, and the realeased evil was the one, true Tirac?"

"I don't see what else it could be." Twilight replied sadly. "And while it's tearing me apart to do this to Cheerilee, I can't risk our lives by not taking some kind of action!"

"I just hope you know what you're doing Twi." AJ repiled nervously. She remembered another pony named Twilight, who had also sought to prevent a propechy of evil, and nearly destroyed herself...

As the three mares talked, they failed to see little pink Pegasus filly quietly trotting away...

....

"So they think you're going to open the Tartarus gate, and release the ancient horrors?" Ahuitzotl chuckled. "Oh senorita, that is too much!"

"Blimey! You sayin' you're not as bad as those things there worried about?" Baby North Star asked curiously.

"Trust me, Seniorita. If the demons behind those gates were ever released, even I would not survive." The creature's voice echoed from the book. "I wish to conquer and rule Ponyland, not destroy it!"

Baby North Star though for a moment. "You know what? I think I'll let ya out now!" The Pink Pegasus grinned. "Cheerilee has more than paid for humiliating me, and it's high time my mum and dad learned a lesson, too!"

"Really? Mucho Gusto, Seniorita!" Ahuitzotl chuckled. "Now, come to the golden door! Open it up, and get ready for all El Diablo to break loose!"