• Published 5th Jan 2012
  • 2,534 Views, 86 Comments

Classroom of the future - Paradise Oasis



For Cheerilee, future shock has a whole new meaning...

  • ...
4
 86
 2,534

Up from the Pages

Up from the pages

"And this, class, was the sofa and quill shop. One of the most unique stores in ancient Ponyville, due to it's unique combination of items it sold..."

Having recovered from her recent nervous breakdown, Cheerilee was leading her class around the excavation site, giving them her own personal tour of the former town that had once been her home. North Star, who had only knowledge of what the dig had uncovered, was more than happy to let the Equestrian teacher enlighten both the students and herself with her accounts of her firsthand experiences.

"A little creepy, isn't it?" Bow Tie asked Twilight, as both of them stood back from the group, and watched the pink earth pony teacher doing what she did best. "One minute she was in the middle of a mental meltdown, and the next she's lecturing away, as if nothing had happened."

"I think it has to do with her talk with Wigwam yesterday." Twilight replied. "I can't be sure, but I think we may be having a wedding at the castle soon."

"That's good." Bow Tie sighed. "I was worried Cheerilee was feeling out of place in Dream Valley, with all the stuff that's happened to her since she got here from the past."

"Which brings up a question I've been meaning to ask." Twilight pondered. "Bow Tie, how exactly did miss Cheerilee end up in the present? I wasn't at the castle when she arrived."

"Wait, what do you mean?" Bow Tie asked, confused. "Why is that important, Twi?"

"I was curious what spell it was that had gotten her here." The pink unicorn replied. "With time travel ruled out, it either has to be an age slowing enchantment, or a suspended animation spell."

"Oh, you mean like the preservation spell AJ had on her." Bow Tie replied. "Well, I had heard that she appeared out of a book that AJ and Glory opened."

"Wait... WHAT?" Twilight looked surprised. "I've never heard of a book being used as the material component in a suspended animation spell before. Bow Tie, I want you to get me that book when we get back to the castle."

"Why? You think something might be wrong, Twi?" The blue earth mare asked.

"I don't know." Twilight looked over at Cheerilee. "But I do intend to find out."

After the tour was over the class broke up, to look at the different parts of the site themselves. North Star trotted up to Cheerilee.

"I say, Miss Cheerilee, I am truly grateful to you for help and expertise here." The Pink Pegasus told the earth pony teacher. "Blimey, but you did 'elp me fill in a great many of the gaps in my knowledge on ancient Equestrian Civilization."

"I am glad to be of help, Miss Star." Cheerilee replied politely. "Though I must say, there is something you could do for me, as well."

"It's my daughter, isn't it?" North Star's ears drooped. "I was afraid she would start acting like a hellion with a new teacher coming to the castle an' all."

"Oh, she's not too much trouble, really." Cheerilee replied nervously. "I was just hoping you could talk to her about reigning her... creative spirit, in a bit."

"I am sorry, miss Cheerilee. but that child has caused too much pain to too many ponies. I'm afraid Barnacle and I will have to take more drastic measures." North Star shook her mane."I really didn't want to do this, but my husband and I have heard of a reform school for fillies in Bright Valley, and if she cannot behave herself..."

Neither North Star nor Cheerilee noticed a young Pegasus filly who had been watching nearby, nor did they hear her gasp at her mother's words. Tears streaming down her face, Baby North Star galloped back towards the ship.

...

That evening, Cheerilee was trotting through the dig site with Wigwam, as the two of them looked up at the stars together. Bow Tie and Twilight had taken the class back to the boat, and had left the two ponies to have some time alone together.

"Wow, I can't believe everything that has happened to me recently." Cheerilee sighed . "Just over a week ago, I was in Ponyville, getting ready for school to start for fall session, and worrying about getting my lesson plans together in time. Now, I'm a thousand years in the future, living in a techno-medieval society of warrior ponies."

"What was the last thing you remember before you got zapped into the book?" The Buffalo tribe pony asked curiously. "What led to you getting stuck there?"

"It was the year after Applejack's little sister and her friends had graduated." Cheerilee sighed. "I had just gotten back from a teacher's conference in Canterlot, and I found that blasted book in my mailbox."

"Did you ever find out who it was from?" Wigwam asked. "If it might have been sent by somebody out to get you?"

"No there was nobody- I mean, nopony... blast it, now you've got me doing it." The teacher said with a chuckle. "I just thought it was a book they distributed at the conference, and that they had sent me one because they had forgotten to give it to me while I was there."

Wigwam looked up at the stars. "Are you still sorry you opened that book in the first place?"

She nuzzled him, and rested her head against his neck. "Of course not. I'd have never met my very special somepony if I'd stayed back in Equestria. Though I do miss all of my old friends."

"I thought you'd be talking to Applejack more often." Wigwam replied. "What with all you have in common."

"AJ and I were never that close of friends... it was especially awkward to talk to her after the incident with Big Mac." Cheerilee sighed. "Besides, I've tried reminiscing with her... her memory is foggy after a millennium, to say the least."

"Have you tried talking to Spike?" Wigwam asked her. "That dragon was Twilight Sparkle's pet, I believe."

"Wait, Spike's still alive?" She hoof-smacked her forehead. "Of course he's alive. Dragon's live for thousands of years! Do you think you could arrange a meeting with him for me?"

"I would be glad to, my love." Wigwam replied with a smile. "By the way, I was going to ask Majesty if she could perform our wedding next weekend, if you have it free. A simple ceremony, just a few ponies..."

"Wait, don't invitations have to be sent, and I have to pick out a dress?" Cheerilee asked, confused. "A wedding is a complex event, that takes a lot of planning!"

"Oh no! Unless it's a royal or diplomatic wedding, marriages are private and personal events now." Wigwam smiled. "And Bow Tie and Buttons can have a dress made for you in no time!"

"And here I had always dreamed of my wedding being this big, fancy affair with all of my family and friends." The teacher sighed. "But most of my family and friends are gone, anyway." She nuzzled Wigwam again. "Oh well, it'll be well worth it to be married to a wonderful pony like you!"

As the two of them passed the Sugarcube Corners pit again, Wigwam spoke up. "You know, there are old pony tales about this place. Some say the spirits of the harmony bearers linger here still."

Cheerilee just laughed. "Oh Wigwam, you know those old mare's tales are just a load of-"

It was at that moment, that a fell wind suddenly blew up out of the pit. It washed over the two ponies, blowing Cheerilee's ponytails around like crazy. It was at that moment, that the figure of a young, pink mare emerged from the hole.

"Oh Cheerileeeeeeee....." A familiar voice whispered.

Cheerilee's blood ran cold. "Oh no, it can't be..."

"Cheerilee, what's going on?" Wigwam asked her, moving between her and this strange figure.

"C'mon, Cherilee..." A totally pink earth pony ,with pink hair and a balloon cutie mark, suddenly stepped out to face them. "Don't you want to party with PINKIE PIE?"

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" *THUD*

At that moment, 'Pinkie Pie' fell back laughing, as did the two foals, Baby Glory and Baby Tic Tac Toe, who were hiding in the pit. Baby Glory's horn stopped glowing, and 'Pinkie Pie's' disguise fell away.

"I can't believe she fell for it!" The white pony in whinnied with laughter. "For a teacher, she sure is dumb!"

"SURPRISE!" Wigwam snorted. "That's the last straw, you shifty trickster mare! Didn't Barnacle and I warn you about playing jokes on Cheerilee?"

"It was worth it!" The white Pegasus chuckled. "Just look at her!"

Cheerilee lay on the ground, eye twitching and body spasaming.

Wigwam held her tightly, and whinnied angrily at Surprise. "We'll see just how worth it it was, when I tell the entire castle about you and Megan's Brother!"

"No.... you wouldn't..." Suddenly, all the color drained out of the trickster mare's face. "Wigwam, no! Danny and I will never be able to live it down! "

"Then you had better be more careful with your pranks in the future." Wigwam warned, picking up Cheerilee to carry her back to the boat. "Because one of these days, one of your practical jokes are going to get out of hand. And instead of laughing, you'll be the one crying!"

...

"How could they do this to me?" She said allowed, trying to control her sobs. "I thought they loved me!"

Baby North Star was back in her room on the docked ship, her face buried in her blankets. How could her own mother want to send her away? How could her father agree to go along with it? That stupid Cheerilee, this was all her fault! She had ruined everything when she had just showed up one day! Why couldn't she have just caved in like every other teacher, instead of turning all of her friends and family against her! Oooohhh, she was going to make that teacher pay for what she'd done!

"Such a shame, Senorita... to see such a lovely young filly suffer so much pain."

"Who said that?" Baby North Star looked up from her bed, but saw no one else in the room. Glancing down on the floor, she saw that weird book she had swiped from Cheerilee's classroom, the day after the teacher had first appeared.

""Someone who sympathizes with your plight." The voice, so soothing and calm, emanated from the book. "And one who wishes to help you, if you will only let me, Por Favor."

The pink filly pick up the book, and read the title again. "The adventures of Daring Do? But I thought this had originally been a book by Cheerilee?" Opening the book to a random page, she saw an image of Daring Do fighting her arch- nemesis, Ahuitzotl. It was then, that Baby North Star swore she saw the image of the villain look right out at her. "Right here, Seniorita."

"AHHH!" The pink Pegasus dropped the book in a panic. After a few minutes she approached the book again. "How... how did you...?"

"Forgive me, Senorita. I did not mean to startle you." The blue creature replied, turning and bowing to her from the page. "Much like the Teacher you so despise, I too come from the book. Allow me to introduce myself, my name is-"

"Ahuitzotl, the arch-nemesis of Daring Do. My mum loves those books, Daring Do inspired her to become the explorer she is when she was a lass." Baby North Star said offhandedly. "She used to read me stories of Daring Do kicking your tail in when I was little."

"Yes, well..." Ahuitzotl Replied in an annoyed tone. "That's beside the point! Look, I can help you get rid of this teacher you so despise, if you will only open a special door- a door your mother knows of all too well- and let myself and some friends of mine out in return." The blue creature smiled. "So what do you say, Senorita?"

Baby North Star thought for a moment, then smiled back. "Very Well, what exactly did you have in mind?'

....

Cheerilee came to back in her cabin on the ship, which she could already feel moving up the river. Wigwam was standing over her, a concerned look on his face, and Surprise was flapping nervously in the background.

"Where am I... w-what's going on?" The teacher asked, confused.

"You had fainted again, my dear." Wigwam replied, smiling down at her. "You've been out for awhile, and we're on our way home now."

"You know, I'm really getting tired of that." Cheerilee replied with an annoyed sigh. As she got up out of bed, Surprise flew up to her, a frown on her face.

"Listen, Cheerilee..." The normally crazy mare said sadly. "I'm really sorry I pulled all those pranks on you, and I was wondering if we could start over, and be friends?"

Cheerilee looked down at her extended hoof for a few minutes, before a grin crossed her face.

"I'd be happy to, Surprise." She extended her hoof to the white Pegasus, a smile on both of their faces...

BZZZZZZZZZZZZT!

Surprise lay on the floor, twitching. Cheerilee pulled the shock buzzer off of her hoof.

"You know, you really shouldn't leave this thing laying around." The teacher replied. Wigwam tried to stifle a chuckle.

Surprise pulled herself back to her hooves. "Wow! That was great, Cheerilee!" She coughed an electric shock out of her mouth. "We should play a joke on the rest of the Castle sometime!"

As the two mares started to talk, Wigwam smiled. "Well, I'm glad these two have finally made friends." He thought to himself. After a few hours of Talking, Surprise trotted back to her room, and the buffalo tribe pony turned to leave, as well.

"Wigwam, wait." Cheerilee raised her hoof to stop him. "Couldn't- couldn't you stay here... just for the night?"

"Cheerilee!" Wigwam blushed furiously. "Surely you can wait for the wedding!"

"No! That's not what I mean!" Cherilee's own cheeks turned red. "What I mean is... after all that's happened, my nerves are shot, and I really don't want to be alone tonight."

Wigwam smiled. "Of course, my dear." As Cheerilee lay down on her bed, the buffalo tribe pony rested himself in the high-backed chair on the other side of the room.

"Pleasant dreams, Miss Cheerilee." he whinnied, before blowing the candle on the table out, and leaning back in the reclining chair.

After she was certain he was asleep, Cheerilee slipped out from under the covers, and trotted over to where he lay. She climbed on top of Wigwam, resting her head against his chest. "Good night, Wiggy. Sweet dreams." She thought to herself, as she fell asleep to the sound of the stallion's beating heart.