• ...
11
 303
 5,092

Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Vengeful Jealousy

At Discord's secret base, the draconequus lounged on his upside-down couch as he watched his new and improved Discord Express fly into the sky from his mirror with a bored frown on his face.

"Well, they're off." Discord said unenthusiastically before a smile graced his features. He shifted his eyes towards a nearby cage containing a certain pegasus "Are you ready for your big debut, Envy?"

"So I'm next, huh? You realize you're out of ammo after this, right?" Envy snarked "I don't know what kind of idiot you are, thinking you would actually entertain yourself by having all of us do some running around."

"Oh, but it's more fun than you realize. Of course, you'll have to wait until the grand finale..." Discord said deviously as he snapped his talons and caused Envy to appear in his eagle claw, also upside-down "Now...What say we get you prepped up for the next challenge?"

"What are you gonna do? Saturate my jealousy or something? Make more clones of me? Either way, it's gonna end up biting you in the ass!" Envy snarled defiantly, to which Discord tittered.

"You're so adorable sometimes, you know that?" He advanced a lion paw towards Envy's forehead and streaked it across "Anger is too easy...bloodlust even moreso...Clones? Child's play! I'm just going to give you an extra boost of power, but it's going to cost you dearly..."

Envy could feel it as Discord worked his magic. The memories were somehow slipping away as if they never happened. All of the times Envy had spent with their friends, namely Rainbow Dash. Even the escape from Tartarus with the jealous pony's family was slipping away. While Envy tried to struggle, it had felt powerless as the magic was growing stronger.

"R-Rainbow..." Envy uttered before it had felt blank.

"Yes, that's it...Forget who you considered your friends...It's better that way, since you'll have your own fun again..." Discord cackled as he watched Envy's blank expression slowly change into a dark glare.
_____

The train flew into the sky like an aerial snake, piercing through the clouds as the sun began to rise. Inside of it, everypony occupied themselves as they waited patiently for the train to arrive at Ghastly Gorge. Twilight found herself sitting by not only Greed, but Shining Armor and Spike as well, the latter two still shaken from their previous challenge.

Pinkie and Gluttony played patty cake together while Lust and Rarity watched them in amusement. Blueblood sat beside Rarity, though made sure to stay out of Gluttony's view, feeling threatened despite him being free of Discord's control.

Wrath and Applejack merely sat with stoic expressions on their face while Sloth was sleeping contently beside them.

Rainbow Dash sat at a window seat near the back of the cart with a melancholic expression on her face. As happy as she was that she was going to see Envy again, she was also aware that they would possibly have to fight each other. She was anxious over what Envy had committed before arriving in Equestria, despite Pinkie's advice to just ignore it.

"Rainbow Dash?" Fluttershy's voice snapped her out of her thoughts as she felt a wing draped over her back. She looked to her right to see Fluttershy looking at her in concern "Are you alright?"

"I'm-..." Rainbow Dash looked back at the window "I'm fine, Fluttershy. You don't have to worry about me. All we have to do now is fight..." Rainbow Dash paused before hanging her head "...Envy..." She whispered. Fluttershy frowned at her friend's despair and nuzzled her.

"Oh, Rainbow Dash, you know the rest of us feel the same way, don't you? We're not happy to fight against one of our own friends." Fluttershy comforted.

"But you don't understand." Rainbow Dash interjected "Envy's more than that to me, and now I have to deal with taking on my own partner, and after how horribly I acted back then!" She shook her head before taking a deep breath "I'm sorry..."

"It's okay." Fluttershy replied softly, not deterred from Rainbow Dash's venting "We'll get through this somehow, no matter what. In the end, Envy will come back to you, and I'm sure she'll forgive you for what happened between you two."

"Y-Yeah..." Rainbow Dash muttered as she remained slouched on her seat in the comfort of her best friend. From her own seat, Twilight stole a glance back at Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, then looked over at Greed.

"Rainbow Dash must be really worked up about this next challenge..." Twilight stated to Greed morosely.

"Wouldn't put it past her." Greed replied nonchalantly "Envy's not one to be trifled with, shapeshifting abilities and whatnot."

"Is there anything we should know about as far as Envy's abilities?" Twilight asked.

"Hey, yeah. If Gluttony had that false 'Gate of Truth' thingy as a hidden ability, what could we know about Envy?" Spike inquired. Greed's features hardened upon both questions.

"I'm not gonna beat around the bush. Chances are that if Discord's triggering abilities that most of us carried in the past, then no doubt he's turned Envy into a large monster."

"A monster?" Shining Armor asked with a raised eyebrow "Anything we should be aware of?"

"Only that Envy's just as strong as Sloth in that former; possibly even stronger." Greed replied "Also, the form Envy takes is pretty gross, so you might wanna be careful not to lose your lunch during battle." He then donned a thin smile "Knowing the team we have on our side, I think we'll manage unless Discord happens to screw us over with more restrictions."

"I hope you're right, Greed..." Shining Armor said in a grave tone, taking in the information passed on to him. He had to make sure to be ready for anything, much like his time in the Royal Guard.

The sun began to set as the train was nearing the threatening canyon that was Ghastly Gorge, where Envy was waiting for them. The train spiraled down into the widest area and landed carefully at the bottom of the ravine. The group then carefully exited the train to take in their surroundings.

There were rocks, large holes, and thorned bushes that resided within the canyon. They noticed that they stood next to a peaceful looking stream of water that extended along the area. Pinkie looked around and smiled, oblivious to the intimidating atmosphere.

"Wow! This place hasn't changed at all, either! Maybe Discord's fine with some of Equestria's landmarks?" Pinkie wondered aloud as she continued sightseeing. Wrath kept a keen eye out himself.

"Either that, or our next challenge may be more forward than we think..." He added in a grave tone as he tensed up from hearing the sound of breezing wind. Wrath instantly looked up and widened his eyes at an approaching figure in the sky "Up there!"

The group looked up and saw a certain green pegasus descending into the same wide area of the gorge on the other side of the stream. The pony stared at them with a neutral and bored expression, which turned into intrigue as it spotted some of the ponies in the group. Rainbow Dash stared ahead with a tough look in her eyes that hid her true feelings.

"Envy..." Rainbow Dash uttered, to which the jealous pony blinked in what appeared to be surprise.

"Huh? Who the hell are you? And how did you know my name?" Envy asked rudely, to which the cyan pegasus' jaw dropped. The rest of the group - save for Sloth - followed suit with their own respective shocks.

"Wh-...What the hay are you talking about!? It's me! Rainbow Dash!" Rainbow Dash called out, to which Envy snickered before roaring in laughter.

"That's such a stupid and silly name! Rainbow Dash? Gimme a break!" Envy regained its composure before studying the group. When it spotted the former homunculi, Envy's eyes widened on them "Wait a minute...You're all alive?" Envy rubbed its chin as it looked down "So that weird chimera was telling the truth after all..."

"What are you getting at, Envy? More importantly, what's with the stupid act?" Greed asked. Envy shot a dirty look at Greed before shrugging.

"If you're talking about this whole situation, I'm just as confused as you are. But some chimera named Discord said that I have to destroy you guys if it means going back to Amestris." Envy said nonchalantly. Fluttershy looked hurt from Envy's remark.

"Envy, don't you remember us? We're your friends!" She called out.

"Friends?" Envy parroted in disgust before scoffing "What the hell would I want with friends? I don't even know you stupid horses except for my family!" After Envy's abrasive questions, Rainbow Dash hung her head as her mane hid her eyes.

"Discord must have robbed Envy of his memories..." Twilight muttered morosely before she called out to her "Envy! Is it really worth it to go through with harming your own family for a goal that doesn't exist?" Envy gave Twilight a bored look before shrugging again.

"Doesn't really matter to me what happens to them. Besides..." Envy flashed a dark grin "I'll never really know until I try. I was having plenty of fun before I was brought here, and if I can get back and help out with Father's goals after I'm through with you, that's just an added bonus!" Rainbow Dash began to tremble after Envy's words.

"Wait a minute..." Greed said "How much memories did Discord take from your head? Father's dead, Envy! We killed him! You were there!"

"That's a load of crap coming from you. I thought you were against lying, Greed." Envy said with a sneer. Rainbow Dash gritted her teeth as she trembled.

"It's true!" Gluttony chimed in "We were in Canterlot! Father was about to devour everything until we finally stopped him!"

"I think it's safe to assume that Envy's memories are indeed gone..." Wrath narrowed his eyes "In fact, with the mention of Father..."

"Envy thinks she's in her previous life as a homunculus? Before she even met us?" Fluttershy asked sadly.

"I'm afraid so..." Wrath concluded in a low tone "And since Discord has motivated Envy to confront us, it's only wise we return the gesture in kind..."

"Envy must be dense to believe that there would be success from trying to eliminate us." Lust said as her horn began to glow while staring down Envy "In fact, it's best we get this over with, since this game of Discord's is nearly complete."

"Fluttershy, you might wanna take Blueblood and Spike inside the train while we take care of this." Greed said without facing Fluttershy, shifting into his Ultimate Shield form with his magic "We're probably gonna be a while depending on how this goes..."

Fluttershy nodded and wordlessly guided Blueblood and Spike back into the train, though looked back in concern and fear over what was soon to transpire between Envy and the other ponies. Meanwhile, the jealous pony laughed defiantly at the group preparing for battle.

"Are you serious? What chance do all of you have against me?" Envy said with a sadistic grin "Then again, I dare you to try. I doubt any of you have a chance against me..." Greed squinted his eyes and readied himself for the first strike...

"ENVY!!"

A prismatic blur breezed past a stupefied Greed as Rainbow Dash zipped towards Envy, surprising it with a strike to the face that pushed the homunculus back a couple of feet. Envy's hooves razed the earth terribly as it skidded back before Rainbow Dash followed up with a flurry of punches assaulting Envy's face and chest. The group watched in awe over the cyan pegasus' explosive combination of anger and desparation in each of her strikes.

"Rainbow Dash..." Twilight uttered, not even remembering to change into her Ultimate Shield form.

"She must really want Envy back." Applejack said with a solemn frown before she narrowed her eyes "Well, we can't let 'er do all th' work!"

"AJ's right! We gotta get moving!" Greed said as he leaped over the stream and broke into a gallop towards the seemingly one-sided fight, the others following suit.

As Rainbow Dash blindly channeled her fury, she felt her right hoof get caught by Envy's left, and the jealous pony did not hesitate in striking back in Rainbow's face as well before pouncing on her, the two tumbling across the ground. Greed and the others hesitated as they had done so, but when Rainbow Dash and Envy stopped, they felt impeded upon seeing two Rainbow Dashes tussling on the ground.

"Dammit! Of course Envy would pull that kind of trick..." Greed snapped as he looked at the two of them fighting for control over each other as one was pinned down on her back before kicking the other off. When they both stood up, they turned to see the group staring directly at them and instantly donned the same look of anxiety.

"Hold it! Don't do anything hasty!" The left one said in a panic.

"Yeah! The last thing you want is to make the wrong choice!" The right one added in the same tone.

"We've only just started and I'm already pissed off..." Greed snarled as he pawed at the ground "Guess we'll have to let luck decide..." He said as he got ready for a charge, until Twilight stood in front of him.

"Or maybe we won't!" Twilight interjected, irritating Greed until he noticed the confident smile on her face. She turned to look back at the two Rainbow Dashes with the same smile "It's true that Envy can copy Rainbow Dash's form, but he can't copy her abilities either." She narrowed her eyes with a knowing smirk "Like how Rainbow's the fastest flier there is!"

It wasn't long until the Rainbow Dash on the right grinned brightly and instantly took off into the sky, leaving a prismatic trail, leaving the other pegasus dumbstruck.

"Alright! Way to go, Twilight!" Rainbow Dash cheered from above. Meanwhile, Greed saw his chance and charged at the fake while it was shocked by Rainbow Dash's feat, knocking Envy back a few feet and back to its original form. As it had landed, Envy crashed horribly into the ground as if it had fallen from a higher altitude. Shining Armor studied Envy's fall carefully with interest.

'Wait a minute...' He thought to himself as he noticed the wide indentation Envy left on the ground.

"Now I see. Nice work, Twi!" Greed said triumphantly. Twilight walked up to his side with a smile.

"It's a lot easier if this Envy doesn't know anything about us." Twilight stated matter-of-factly. The two watched Envy get up, growling at the group as it had done so.

"You bastards are lucky...But I'm just getting started!" Envy quickly lunged forward and pounced at Twilight, causing the two to roll before they stopped to reveal two Twilight Sparkles standing with each other.

"Again?" Rarity griped "This isn't going to be a repetitive process, will it?" She asked distastefully.

"Don't worry, Rarity." The left Twilight said smugly "I'm pretty sure we know who's the real one..."

"Yeah, how funny, right?" The right Twilight replied with the same air of smugness before her horn lit up. There was a flash before she was seen in her Ultimate Shield form, staring at the shocked copy in front of her "You're making this too easy for us."

The other Twilight didn't have time to respond before she was met with a sidecheck courtesy of Greed, who pierced his horn into the fake's right side as she growled in pain. She pulled away and distanced herself from the unicorns as her body was covered in red static, patching up the wound before revealing herself as Envy.

"What the hell? You ponies are nothing like the humans back in my world!" Envy snarled.

"If you're the Envy we remember, that would've been obvious." Shining Armor shot as he stared down the jealous pony "Right now, you're just a misguided changeling with no knowledge of our capabilities." Envy growled at how arrogant Shining Armor had sounded until it let off a scoff.

"Maybe you're right..." Envy said as its body was gradually enveloped in red static "Perhaps I might not know about this shitty world I'm in, but I do know one thing..." Envy grinned darkly at the expectant glances of the group, the sclera in its right eye darkening as the iris glowed ominously "You don't know how powerful I can be!!" As the static around Envy grew brighter, the jealous pony began to grow in size, its features becoming more grotesque as more limbs jutted out of its body. The newly-acquired limbs grew digits as Envy's coat was ripping and fading away along with its tail, which also grew in size; its mane also grew with its body.

The group reflexively backpedaled as Envy continued to grow until it finally took up nearly half of the ravine. In place of Envy was a giant, green, lizard-like beast with two sets of arms, two sets of legs, and an enormous tail. On its head was a triangular symbol similar to what was seen on Envy's headband, partially covered by a large black mane. Its right eye contained a purple iris inside black sclera, while the left eye contained six red pupils that huddled together.

It gave off a roar as a feature added to the revolting display of the monster: Several faces and arms resembling humans in agony emerged around the upper region of the beast's chest, letting off moans of anguish; some faces were even seen on its monstrous tongue and one sprouted from the beast's temple, just in the middle of the triangular symbol. Rarity especially found the sight to be both frightening and repugnant, yet she was unable to faint since she was paralyzed out of fear.

"No..." Rainbow Dash whispered, eyes wide as dinner plates as she took in the sight of the monster "E-Envy?"

"Guess this is what Greed meant about Envy turning into a large monster." Shining Armor concluded before he planted his hooves in the ground, a look of resolve on his face "But I'm not backing down from this! We've come too far to let something like this stand in our way!" He proclaimed as he looked up at the pony-turned-monster.

"Great..." Greed muttered as he stared up at the giant monster "Guess this means we'll have to give it all we've got this time."

The monster that was once Envy simply roared again in response before taking a tremor-inducing step forward, its tail slowly swaying in anticipation.

End of Chapter 23

Author's Note:

GODZILLA!!

Just thought I'd sneak this in before I went back to work :pinkiesmile:

Hope you like it.

Enjoy the chapter. Peace! :twilightsmile: