• Published 8th Nov 2012
  • 961 Views, 44 Comments

The Chronicles of a Ponyville Teacher - CluelessFilly



Miss Cheerilee's journey to becoming a teacher.

  • ...
2
 44
 961

Scholarships

June 8th, 2008

Cheery Blossom eagerly watched as the huge brown stallion with a black mane passed the exams back to each student. To each one, Mr. Picture Perfect, or Mr. Perfect as he preferred, he seemed to give a different mean look. Cheery scooted a bit in her seat. Her magenta flanks itched in anticipation. What did she get on the exam?


Mr. Perfect finally approached Cheery, placing the exam face-down on her desk. Cheery stared at it for a moment. Patience. Then, taking a deep breath, she slowly lifted the sheet of paper. Next to the 'Name' section was Cheerilee, which was her preferred name, and below it the date of the exam, June 6th, which had been Wednesday. Next to it was the grade. 100%

The final exam in History, and she'd gotten a perfect score, just like the other classes that day. Cheerilee grinned widely, showing off her beautiful blue and green metal braces. She'd passed the tenth grade!

Mr Perfect coughed a few times, and Cheerilee's attention averted from her exam to staring intently at the teacher, but it took a few seconds for everypony else to follow her lead. "Class, I have an important announcement to make. Today, there will be a drawing. In five minutes, we'll be in Cafeteria 1 for the Winner Scholarship to Hoofington Northeast College. Class dismissed."

Excitement made Cheerilee tingle as she trotted out of the classroom. Hoofington State? Unless her books were unreliable, it was a huge college in northwest Equestria. She wished she could bounce like a tiny filly down the hallway, but that would be too immature for somepony who was about to get free college. The walls were lined with red lockers, and it was the last day of school. I need to grab my textbooks. I can't leave them here or I'll die with boredom! Cheerilee was turning in toward her locker before somepony shoved her facefirst against the lockers. Pain made her nose tingle and loose feeling, and tears were in her eyes when she pushed herself out. Of course, the first pony to put a damper on her day, as mom always said, was Lucky, a gray stallion with a black mane.

Cheerilee resisted her urge to tell him in a fit of frustration what he'd just done, but he was with his friends, Phoenix and Baritone. They could be very intimidating, so she bit her tongue and entered her combination. 7, 19, 11.

Only to find that it didn't work.

"Come on, lock!" she exclaimed. "Please let me in!" 7, 19, 11. Failed. 7, 19, 11.

"Come on, little lock! It's me, Cheery! Let me in!"

"Not by the hairs of my chinny-chin chin!" it seemed to squeak back. Cheerilee had to groan before forcefully shoving her forehooves against her locker.

"Trick lock," Cheerilee sighed before beginning toward Cafeteria 1. It luckily wasn't a long walk, and speeding up, she managed to sit in the front row just after the bell rang. Next to Cheerilee were two pegasi, one blue and one purple, both with matching white manes, styled in a tough but fancy way. Each was adorned with bows, and they were talking about social things that she didn't understand.

"Did you, like, hear about Sassaflash's new coltfriend?" the lilac one asked.

"Yeah, but Hay Fever is so pimply that Sassaflash is gonna break up with him!"

A white stallion with a hay-colored mane and a thermometer in his mouth sighed before galloping away. That's Hay Fever... it's scientifically impossible that he's always sick like that...

"Good afternoon, classmates!" Cheerilee brightened and pricked her ears, trying to hear past the excited whispering of the ponies next to her. She saw a somewhat chunky white unicorn mare with a curly blonde mane appeared.

"Good afternoon!" the high-schoolers declared, minus Cheerilee, who added 'ma'am' at the end.

"I'm Number Two, the headmistress at Hoofington Northeast College. A few of you are getting your diplomas early-" she motioned to Mr. Perfect, who was the principal and History 7th period teacher, with about eight scrolls on his back. "-And coming to Hoofington Northeast, or HNC. At HNC, we learn about whatever subject you want a degree in, from dragon behavior to astronomy. A few of you are going to come to our school."

Please me please me please me!

Mr. Perfect stepped forth, clearing his throat. "If your name is called, you come up here and you'll get your diploma. Colgate."

A somewhat small blue unicorn mare with a toothpaste-colored mane came up, looking very excited and smiling widely as she picked up her scroll. She galloped down after a hoof-shake with Mr. Perfect and trotting backstage, as if by a silent gesture.

"Lyra Heartstrings." A minty green unicorn trotted up to the front, hoof-shaking Mr. Perfect, before taking her prize and stalking back to the back of the cafeteria.

"Derpy." A cross-eyed Pegasus bounced up to the stage, following suit.

I know that mare, Cheerilee thought. That's Derpy, the clumsiest mare in our grade! How'd she get picked?

"Cheerilee."

The magenta earth pony gasped before holding back a squeal, bouncing up to Mr. Perfect. The stallion gave her a scroll and a firm hoof shake before Cheerilee, trembling from excitement, made her way backstage, which was much darker.

"Hello, Cheerilee," Colgate greeted politely. "I'm Colgate. Even though the family business is making toys, I'm gonna be a dentist one day."

"Good to meet you," Cheerilee agreed with an awkward nod. She was so used to being flat-out ignored by her peers. "I'm gonna be a teacher, I think."

"I'll be an anthropologist," Lyra declared. She smirked. "Which isn't as obvious. My cutie mark is a lyre, not a human. I don't care what anypony else thinks, 'cuz humans exist!"

"Why are we talking cutie marks now?" Cheerilee asked. "It's not like I have one."

"Uh, yes you do," Lyra retorted.

"Huh?" Cheerilee turned and stared at her flank in astonishment. Seemingly glowing on her flank were three white blossoms, smiling. She rubbed her flank tentatively. It didn't come off, so it wasn't another cruel prank. She squealed. She would have bounced in circles if the first eleventh grader, a light blue Pegasus stallion with a navy blue mane, came in.

"Hello, Soarin'," Colgate greeted. "I'm Colgate. Even though the family business is making toys. I'm gonna be a dentist one day."

Soarin'? Wow, she can pay attention as well as I can! "Me and Soarin' here are studying flight," an orange Pegasus mare responded, trotting in. "I'm Spitfire, by the way."

"Spitfire! You won too!" Soarin' declared the obvious, beaming.

These guys are cool enough. "I'm Derpy, and i'm studying muffins!" Derpy declared.

"Uh, not to steal your saddle, but you don't go to college to learn about muffins," Lyra deadpanned.

"Then I'll be a mailmare one day!" Derpy announced happily.

"Those aren't really college careers, but who are we to stop you from living the dream?" Soarin' asked. "Our dream of making our Wonderbolts Club great is massive! We have a few members here, but otherwise we still need more."

Cheerilee caught Mr. Perfect stating the name "Mary Mare." Just before she was going to tell the group, a light brown mare with a bright pink mane trotted in, glaring out of her deep teal glasses. "Hello, Mary," Cheerilee found herself greeting.

"Hello, fellow scholars," Mary replied with a nod.

"I'm Colgate," Colgate greeted. "I want to be a dentist some day. What about you?"

"I've always been intrigued by politics, so I think I'll be mayor of Ponyville some day." Mary took a seat next to Cheerilee.

"That is literally a huge dream! Good luck," Derpy grinned.

A brown stallion with a dark brown mane trotted in, seating himself away from the others. The second twelfth grader!! "Hello," Cheerilee welcomed. "I'm Cheerilee; I think I'll be a teacher one day. What's your name?"

"Doctor Time Turner Whoof, someday," the brown stallion replied in his rich voice. "I'm studying time."

"That's different," Derpy commented. "Goody good luck!"

Number Two trotted in, her blonde mane bouncing. "We can't waste any time, scholars! We're already going to be late for our train, and it'll be a humongous tragedy if we miss it!" She nudged the scholars out of the building they used to refer to as 'school.' They were forced to keep a brisk pace when Number Two was jogging, unable to chat. They would bond enough on the train, Cheerilee was sure of that much. And she could make her first friends since Big Mac...