• Published 2nd Jan 2012
  • 2,409 Views, 109 Comments

To Scratch A Fire - Guardsmare Sade



The flight didn't go as well as she was hoping. Whoops?

  • ...
1
 109
 2,409

Constant Interruption

Vinyl was sitting in the kitchen holding her hooves to her face, trying desperately to block out the pounding in her head.

"Spits, can you close the blinds there. The sun is too bright."
Spitfire trotted over to the window and closed the blinds

"Vinyl, Can we talk. About last night and this morning.

'Hm? Oh umm... Sure Spits. What about it?" She replied, still holding her hooves to her head.

"Well I've been thinking, about a few things actually. You see, for one, I have never done that with a mare before. And another thing is I think I kind of liked it." Spitfire moved toward the table where Vinyl was sitting, Grabbing a chair and sitting on it, she rubbed the back of her neck with a hoof, all while trying to avoid eye contact with the mare across from her.

"W-Well... Being drunk can make you do some pretty weird things, and being sad can sometimes make bad ideas seem good sometimes. Not saying it was a bad thing. I'm just you know... Rationalizing... I think." A large blush was rushing across Vinyl's cheeks as she talked.

Spitfire, now looking at Vinyl, smiled while the blush on her face grew even more,
giving a slight awkward chuckle she looked away from Vinyl, again rubbing the back of her neck with her hoof

"There's well err... One more thing you should know."

Vinyl looked at Spitfire quizzically

"And that would be?

"I... Uh Kind of like you, I think"

Vinyl's eyes shot open not quite sure how to take the sudden confession

"You like me? Like, like like? Or just like? And why is this so sudden!? I'm confused! You're confusing me Spitfire! Stop it!" the blush seemed to have doubled in intensity and her hooves were now over her face.

"I don't really know, I think it’s like-like, but it sorta only happened last night when you kissed me, and I think I kinda got feelings for you..."

"Well... Where do we go from here? It’s not that I'm not comfortable with being with a mare, I mean I have been with one or two before, but none of them Like Liked me"

"Well I-"
Just as she began to talk Spitfire was interrupted by a thumping on the door.

"I'll tell you in a minute." She stood up and headed toward the door, leaving Vinyl with a lot of thinking to do and a heck of a hangover to do it with.

Another few knocks were heard on the door.

"Yeah yeah, I'm coming." Spitfire opened to door and looked at a Cyan Pegasus with rainbow colored mane and tail. "Hey there Rainbow Dash. Long time no see.”

Rainbows’ face showed one of confusion and excitement.

“Oh my gosh! Spitfire!? What are you doing here? I didn’t expect to ever see you here!” A large blush crossed her face as she realized that she hadn’t fixed her mane up in its usual style and that it sat flatly on her head. “Hehe. Sorry you had to see me like this. I didn’t have time to fix my m-“ Stopping mid-sentence, she noticed spitfire was bruised and scratched all over.

“Dash? Is there something wrong?”

“Spitfire, what happened to you? You look like you picked a fight with a manticore and lost. Are you alright?” a look of concern showed that Rainbow was clearly worried about Spitfires’ injuries.

“Yeah, I’m fine Dash, just a little mishap in mid-flight. No biggie. Anyway I guess you’re here to see Vinyl?”

“Yeah, I am. I didn’t know you guys knew each other.”

“It’s a long story. Perhaps we can talk about it later. Come on inside. Vinyl is in the kitchen. Just try to keep it down because she has a bit of a hangover.”

“That’s an understatement.” Vinyl walked in from the kitchen still holding one hoof to her head.

“Hey Vee. I’m here to bring back the music I borrowed from you a while ago. I meant to bring it back last night. But I kinda got side tracked.” Rainbow trotted inside passed Spitfire who was holding the door open for Rainbow.

“No probs Dash. I wasn’t here much of last night anyway. Was out drinking with Spits and her friend most of the night.

“Spitfire stayed here over night?”

“Yeah, I did. I’m gonna be here for a while too.” She said while closing the front door behind Rainbow.

“Oh? Why’s that Spitfire? What about The Wonderbolts?”

“She was kicked from them.”

“VINYL! You didn’t need to tell her that!” spitfire screamed, with a look of fury and sadness

“Sorry Spits, I didn’t know it was a secret.”

“Wait! She was WHAT!?” Rainbow yelled in confusion.

“Well, I wasn’t kick out, I’m on suspension”

“For what?”

“I have no idea Dash. I was going to have a talk to them next time I get the chance, but due to my condition, I can’t get to Cloudsdale. I’ll need to send a letter as soon as I can.”

Rainbow stood in the middle of the room with a stunned look on her face, unable to comprehend what she was being told. Her idol, her one true hero was suspended from The Wonderbolts, the aerial team that she respected the most.

“That’s upsetting, Spitfire. I hope it all works out. If you ever need anything, just ask me. Oh yeah. Here Vinyl. The music I borrowed. They’re pretty sweet tunes.” Rainbow grabbed the music discs out from under her wing and passed it to Vinyl, whom took it with a soft aura of magic, enveloping it, into the lounge room to put it back with the rest.

“So how long have you known Vinyl?”

“Around about a day. How about you Dash?”

“Two months. I met her when she came to Ponyville on her gig. It’s sad about what happened to her. Don’t you think?”

“What? What happened? She never told me anything about it?”

“Oh, well around three days after she got here she was doing a gig for-“

“Oh look Dash! I found another disc you might want to listen to! You might want to get home so you can listen to it A.S.A.P. I wouldn’t want to keep you waiting. They’re pretty sweet tracks. Cheers for coming Dash! Be sure to drop by again soon. Ciao Dash!” Vinyl pushed the confused Pegasus out through the front door that she had opened with her magic into the snow.

“Hey! Vinyl! What are-“ before Rainbow Dash could finish speaking Vinyl had pushed her outside and closed the door on her. Rainbow looked on the floor in front of her to see the music disc that Vinyl must have been talking about. Dash picked it up and flew off, confused at what had just happened.

“Vinyl! What are you doing?! Dash was here to visit you and you pushed her out before she could tell me... Oh... I see now. So Twilight was about to tell me something yesterday before you pushed me out and just then when Dash was about to tell me something just then you pushed her out too. What’s going on Vinyl? Something’s up.”

“You’re not going to drop this are you Spits?”

“No, now talk Vinyl.”

“Fine. Come sit down in the lounge room.”