• Published 2nd Jan 2012
  • 2,406 Views, 109 Comments

To Scratch A Fire - Guardsmare Sade



The flight didn't go as well as she was hoping. Whoops?

  • ...
1
 109
 2,406

Clean Up Crew

Spitfire opened her eyes to the sound of rocks grinding together, the gentle twinkling hum of unicorn magic and the short hisses of a broom brushing on the floor.

Sitting up, Spitfire surveyed the room slowly, noticing that the room was considerably cleaner than it was when she had passed out. The hole in the roof was covered by a blue tarp to at least keep the snow from forming a pile in the center of the room every time it snowed.

"Looks like somepony decided to finally wake up! About time if you ask me. Now grab a broom or something and help me get all the snow and dust out of here." Vinyl said as she cleaned the room. "Yeah, sorry, I'll grab a broom and start sweeping right now. Where are they?" The still half sleeping pony said as she shuffled over to the edge of the bed, now cold due to the snow. "Here, use this one." Vinyl levitated a broom from the hallway over to Spitfire.

The soft grey aura of magic vanished from around the broom as Spitfire took the handle in her mouth. "Right, start sweeping. There is plenty of dust and rubble to go around. Don't be shy." Said the unicorn, not even taking her eyes off the tools she was using. "Yesh" Spitfire mumbled from behind the broom handle in her mouth.

She limped over to the now smaller but still considerable sized pile of rubble in the middle of the room and began to sweep the floor with the broom. With her head cocked and crooked she moved it back and forth in an awkward manner to get the broom just to do any good.

"How about I open the window and you just blow all the dust and snow out with your wings. I'm sure that would be easier."
"Thrt Wrld br gd idyh yf-" Spit mumbling out from behind the broom

"Huffa duffa wha?" Vinyl asked with a genuine look of Confusion on her face. Trying desperately to figure out what in Celestias' name the pegasus pony was trying to say.

Spitting out the broom to her left, Spitfire looked at Vinyl just as the spit covered handle of the broom hit the wooden flooring of the bedroom with a very large crack. "I said, that would be a good idea if only my wings were working."
"Oh, Brilliant. A pegasus pony who can't fly. I suppose that fact had something to do with this?" Vinyl Pointed to the Pony sized hole in the roof.

Spitfire looked to her hooves as she dug at the floor in an embarrassed fashion. "Y-yeah, I'm sorry for that. I made a mistake up in the air and now I suppose I’m paying for it."
"You and me both."

Spitfire picked up the broom and began to sweep again.
The two were silent for what seemed like an eternity. Both just working in an awkward situation without so much as a peep. Apart from the Hissing of the bristles on the broom pushing the dirt out of the room into a well placed bag by the door there was no sound.

Pushing the final amount of dirt and snow into the bag, the room was finally clean. A soft grey aura enveloped the bag as it lifted into the air and tied itself up.
"Right, now that that’s all out of the way, let’s have a look at ya shall we?"
Vinyl walked over to Spitfire, Put a hoof on one side of her face and pushed it left, right then up. "Few scratches, looks like your uniform is totally wasted too, torn from mane to tail. That’s going to be a hassle to fix. Right, I'm no doctor, so I think it’s high time we went and saw one. Let’s go."

Spitfire just nodded and followed Vinyl. The unicorn was down the steps and waiting at the bottom for Spit, who had just stopped dead at the top of flight of stairs. "How is this supposed to work? I can barely walk on normal ground let alone stairs." thinking of how pathetic she was looking to Vinyl right now for being halted by a mere staircase.

A heavy sigh was heard coming from the floor below, the frustrated look on Vinyls' face was clear. She’s not even trying to hide it. Spitfire thought to herself "Right, here I go." With that she took a step forward onto the step in front of her. "One down, nine to go."
"Not helping!" Spitfire snapped.
She moved onto the next step, then the next and so on. Each time she put her hoof on a step it hurt more than the last. Finally to the bottom, Panting, Spitfire looked smiling at Vinyl, who was sitting on the kitchen bench just a few meters away. "I did it!"

"Yep, and it only took a few years. Oh well. Let’s go and get you checked out, then you're buying the drinks."
Spitfire stood there with her jaw slightly ajar. "Drinks? It’s only-" She looked at the clock and saw that it was half passed four in the afternoon.

"Oh wow, how long was I out? How long were we cleaning, and why do I have to buy the drinks?" Vinyl looked at her, "let’s see, answer to question one: Hours. Answer to question two: Hours, me longer than you. Answer to the third question: Because I'm between pays at the moment."

A cheesy grin escapes Vinyl and she turns around and walks out the front door into the snow covered yard, Spitfire limping closely behind. She notices that Vinyl, because of her fur color, was almost invisible in the snow. The only reason she was visible was because of her electric blue mane, tail and the purple tinted sun glasses she had put on when Spitfire wasn't looking.

Vinyl turns to look at Spitfire, stares her directly in her amber eyes and begins to blush. Spitfire begins to worry about the Unicorn, there seemed to be more blood in her face than in the body of a pony twice her size. "What? Is there something wrong? With me, or you? Are you ok?" Spit asks in rapid succession

"Where is the doctors’ surgery?" Vinyl said, tilting her head to the left with a confused look on her face, clearly being serious.
Spitfire facehoofed. "How should I know!? I don’t live here." mumbling from behind the hoof sliding down her face.
"I just figured you would have seen it on your fall from glory. I don't really get sick so I haven't had a reason to visit."
"Don't you have like a taxi service here or something? Speaking of here, where am I anyway?"

Having to give it some thought, Vinyl finally gave her an answer. "Welcome to Ponyville! Winter style!"
Spitfire facehoofed again. "You had to think about where you live? Are you serious!?"
Vinyl Laughed a little. "I have a house here, yeah. But I don’t actually live here. I'm just here while I’m doing a gig."
"A gig? What do you do again?"

Vinyl cleared her throat and began to speak with a slightly elevated tone. "I am a great D-J, I have been announced as the greatest young D-J in all of Equestria! My dear, you are standing in the presence of the one and only D-J Pon-3!"

Spitfires' jaw dropped open! "Oh my gosh! Oh my gosh! OH MY GOSH!"
Vinyl begins to do a slow nod with her two front hooves crossed and a smug look on her face. "Is that name meant to mean anything to me? I have no clue who D-J Pon-3 is." Spitfire said with a totally straight face.