• Published 22nd Oct 2012
  • 16,982 Views, 58 Comments

Princess Sweet - rosebudthefoal



There's a secret about Sweetie Belle that not even she, Rarity, nor her parents know.

  • ...
3
 58
 16,982

Chapter 1: Weirdest Day

Sweetie Belle awoke to the sound of Rarity running about downstairs. She groaned and lifted herself out of bed, trotting sleepily downstairs to see what all the commotion was about.

“Rarity, what’s with all the noise?” she asked as she pushed open the door and found her older sister running back and forth between fabric, dress design sheets, and ponnequins.

“I’m sorry if I woke you, dear.” Rarity said, not looking up from her work. “I’ve just remembered that I have an important order of twenty dresses due tomorrow, and I’ve only got ten done!” She stood and ran over to a ponnequin wearing a red dress with rubies around the rim.

“Well, since I’m awake now, can I help?” Sweetie asked. She dared to get her hopes up, even though she knew that Rarity would insist she be left alone to her work. However, she was surprised when Rarity looked over at her and adopted a horrified expression.

“Sweetie!” Rarity exclaimed running over to her. “What in the name of Celestia did you do to your coat and mane?!”

“What?” Sweetie asked, confused. “I didn’t do anything.” She twisted to look at her body and gasped. Her white fur was tinged red and pink, as if she had rolled in paint. She grabbed a lock of her mane with her hoof and looked at it, seeing it half black and half… green?

“Sweetie, your colors; it’s awful!” Rarity rushed her sister over to the nearest mirror and Sweetie Belle got a full look of herself. It wasn’t just the black and green mane and the red and pink coat; she also had splatters of blue and dark purple streaks in her tail. Her eyes were different colors too; one green, one yellow.

“Are you sure you weren’t playing around with any of my fur dyes?” Rarity asked sternly.

“I swear, Rarity!” Sweetie insisted. “I liked my colors the way they were! I have no idea what happened!”

Rarity galloped over to the door of the bathroom and flung it open. “Come here, Sweetie Belle, if you take a bath maybe you can wash the dye out.”

~<3~

Sweetie rubbed her mane with a towel until it was dry. She dropped the towel on the floor and turned to look at the mirror. She was still an assortment of random colors, the bath had taken no effect whatsoever.

Rarity looked very upset. Her sister was now the least fashionable thing in her shop. “Take another bath.” She ordered. “You probably just didn’t scrub hard enough.”

~<3~

Three baths later, Rarity decided that the dye wasn’t coming out. She was now digging in the closet for something while Sweetie Belle sat with a towel wrapped around her in a chair.

“I guess we’ll just have to fight dye with dye.” Rarity said, finally stepping out of the closet. She held in her magic three dyes; white, purple, and pink.

“Rarity, I’m not sure this is a good idea.” Sweetie said, cautiously.

“Do you have a better one?” Rarity asked.

Sweetie Belle shook her head.

~<3~

“I don’t understand it!” Rarity tossed the white bottle of dye in frustration. After applying the dye, it simply seemed to wash off, not affecting Sweetie’s color at all.

“Maybe we should just give up?” Sweetie asked hopefully.

“No, no, it’s time to bring out the big guns.” Rarity disappeared among her racks of clothing, reappearing with a big hat and a long dress. “Put these on.” She ordered. “These should cover up most of your colors.”

“Why?” Sweetie asked. “Are we going somewhere?”

“Yes, just put them on. Quickly, now.”

~<3~
“And you thought I could help… how?” Twilight gazed at Sweetie Belle, her eyes full of confusion.

“Well, it didn’t wash off and dyes didn’t help, it seemed only logical that magic could help.” Rarity said.

“I don’t think I know any spells that could fix this.” Twilight said, “But I could try to undo the magic if that’s what did this to her.”

“Well then, why don’t you try it?” Rarity said, pointing at the discolored filly. The fashion mare was losing her patience with this whole situation.

“Alright.” Twilight dipped her head and pointed her horn at Sweetie Belle. As the unicorn’s horn glowed with purple magic, the filly felt nervous and wondered if she would come out of this whole thing with an extra ear or something. After all, Twilight had once changed the voice of Bon-Bon with a spell gone wrong.

Suddenly, Twilight stepped back, the light dying from her horn. She lifted her head up and looked at Sweetie Belle with surprise. “Wow, that’s powerful!” she said.

“What’s powerful?” Sweetie asked.

“The magic that dyed your coat.” Twilight said, her look turning to confusion. “It’s powerful magic, almost as powerful as mine. If this is somepony’s prank on you, the pranker must be a very powerful unicorn.”

“But you can undo it, right?” Rarity asked hopefully.

Twilight nodded. “Yes.”

Rarity sighed with relief. “Thank goodness!”

Sweetie Belle found herself wrapped in purple magic and floating about an inch off the wooden floor of the library. She wiggled in the magic hold, but found that she could barely move. She looked at her sides and found that the odd colors seemed to be peeling away and evaporating, revealing her normal white coat underneath.

She fell back to the floor, thankful that the lock of hair from her mane that fell over her eyes was pink and light purple again. Finally, everything was back to normal! Now she could go see what Apple Bloom and Scootaloo were up to, and maybe even do some crusading!

However, Rarity was staring at the filly’s sides. Twilight hadn’t noticed this, and was talking about the spell. “I simply had to undo the original spell. It was powerful, but very crudely done. As if it was by somepony who had no idea what they were doing. But now that I think of it, it had to be some unicorn pulling a prank on her; her eyes had changed color. Dyes couldn’t do that, and if it was contacts she would have noticed.”

“Sweetie, dear, your scars.” Rarity said, not having heard a word of what Twilight had said.

“My scars?” Sweetie Belle looked at her sides again and saw two scars, one on each side, standing out clear as day against her white coat. “Oh, wait… what? These scars went away years ago!”

“Scars?” Twilight asked, walking over to look.

“Sweetie Belle had these scars as long as I can remember; she got them when she was just a little foal.” Rarity explained. “But they healed and faded so long ago that nopony even noticed them anymore.”

“Then why are they showing up so clearly now?” Twilight asked.

“I don’t know, dear.” Rarity said. “So many strange things have happened today. It will be a miracle if I ever get my orders done.” Then her eyes widened. “My order! I completely forgot about it! Sweetie Belle, why don’t you go play with your friends while I go back to the boutique and finish my work?”

Sweetie smiled and raced out the door of the library. “Gladly!” she called over her shoulder.

~<3~

Sweetie Belle spotted an orange blur on a scooter shoot past, and her smile widened. “Scootaloo!” she called after the blur, chasing it. However, her pegasus friend hadn’t heard her, and rode on. “Scootaloo, slow down!” she called, speeding up to try and reach her friend. However, Scootaloo was about as fast as Rainbow Dash when she was on her scooter, it would be almost impossible for Sweetie Belle to catch up to her.

But wait, Scootaloo’s wings had suddenly stopped moving! The orange pegasus toppled over in surprise, her helmet preventing most injury. “Ouch.” Sweetie Belle heard her groan as she caught up to her.

“Scootaloo, are you okay?” Sweetie asked, sprinting the last few feet over to her friend.

“Oh, hey Sweetie Belle.” Scootaloo greeted her. “And yeah, I’m fine. I’ve had worse crashes.” Then she noticed something. “Sweetie Belle, your horn is glowing! When did you learn magic?”

Confused, Sweetie Belle turned to look at her reflection in a nearby store window. Indeed, her horn was glowing a light green about the same color as her eyes. She hadn’t even noticed! She had never used magic before, and never really bothered to learn it. She knew that magic took a lot of study and practice, and she had never been interested in sitting in a library all day just so she could hold things in the air. But still, magic was pretty cool.

She turned back to Scootaloo with a large grin on her face. “I didn’t even know I was using magic! I don’t know how I’m doing it, though.”

“Maybe your special talent has something to do with magic!” Scootaloo said excitedly. “You could be a war pony who uses magic to defeat bad guys! Come on, let’s go find Apple Bloom, we can get some awesome crusading out of this!”

As though she hadn’t been hurt at all, Scootaloo hopped back onto her scooter. She kicked the ground with her hoof to start off, but barely got a few inches. “I can’t feel my wings.” The pegasus said, trying to twist to see if something was wrong with her wings.

The problem was clear to Sweetie Belle. Scootaloo’s wings were surrounded with a light green aura; the same as Sweetie’s magic. “Oops, sorry.” she told her friend.

“Hey, cut it out.” Scootaloo said, annoyed once she saw the green magic around her wings and realized what was going on.

“I don’t know how, but I’ll try.” She closed her eyes and searched her mind, hoping to find the magic. It wasn’t hard to find; she could now feel the magic all over her. All she had to do was figure out how to stop the magic.

“Uh, Sweetie Belle?” the unicorn heard Scootaloo say, although for some reason the voice came from below her. “You should really open your eyes.”

So she did. Sweetie Belle was now surrounded in her own magical aura, floating about three feet in the air. “Ahh!” she screeched in panic. “Somepony get me down!”

Scootaloo jumped up and grabbed her hoof, but then they were both floating higher and higher into the air. Their panic was short lived because they were barely at the height of a short tree when they felt somepony pulling them back down.

“What’s going on?” the cyan pegasus asked, pulling the two fillies back down to the ground.

“Rainbow Dash!” Scootaloo grinned ear-to-ear. “Thanks for saving us!”

“Uh huh.” Rainbow said, her attention mainly focused on Sweetie Belle, who was no longer flying upwards but was still hovering a few inches above the ground. “You okay?” she asked the unicorn.

“I don’t think so.” Sweetie replied. She closed her eyes again and attempted to stop her magic once more. This just resulted in her flipping upside-down in the air. “I might need some unicorn help.” She said, looking at both pegasi, who appeared upside-down for her.

~<3~

“I think we solved the mystery of what magic caused your color issue earlier, Sweetie Belle.” Twilight said. The expression on her face told Sweetie that she was holding back laughter. Although annoyed by this, the unicorn filly could understand why she would be amused by what was going on. After all, she was now flying upside-down and her hooves were now splattered blue. The magic had gotten worse on the way to the library, and it seemed every time Sweetie tried to stop it, something else happened.

“Can you fix my magic?” Sweetie asked.

“It’s not your magic that’s the problem.” Twilight explained. “It’s the fact that you can’t control it. Your magic is unusually powerful, and you have no idea how to control it, so it’s getting a bit out of hoof.”

“But can you fix it?”

“I’ll try.” Twilight closed her eyes and her horn started glowing. Sweetie Belle was once again surrounded in Twilight’s purple magic. The blue faded from the filly’s coat, she flipped right-side-up, and she slowly fell to the floor. Twilight’s magic faded and she opened her eyes again.

“Thanks, Twilight.” Sweetie Belle said, happy to be right-side-up once again.

“Maybe magic isn’t your thing.” Scootaloo pointed out.

“I guess not.” Sweetie agreed. “Let’s go find Apple Bloom and tell her about what happened!”

“Wait,” Twilight said, “I’ve got an idea.” She disappeared upstairs, leaving Rainbow and the two fillies for several moments. She returned, holding a collar in her magic. She slipped it on to Sweetie, who jumped back in surprise.

“What’s this?” the unicorn filly asked.

“It’s a magic blocking collar.” Twilight explained. “It stops magic; you shouldn’t have any more magic troubles with it on. You can wear it for now until I can think of a way to help you control your magic.”

“As long as I’m not floating upside-down anymore, I’m happy.” Sweetie Belle replied.

“Come on, Sweets!” Scootaloo turned and dashed out the door.

“Wait up!” Sweetie ran after her friend.

Rainbow and Twilight were now alone in the library. “Twilight,” the cyan mare asked, “Why did you have that collar just laying around?”

“Never mind that.” Twilight said, waving a hoof to dismiss the question. “I’m curious. Sweetie Belle’s magic is so powerful for her age, and it’s unusual that if her magic has always been so powerful that it wouldn’t show until now. I need to investigate this, you want to come along?”

Rainbow shrugged. “I have nothing better to do. Sky’s clear and I’ve already taken my afternoon nap.”

“Great!” Twilight turned and called upstairs, “Spike, I’m leaving for a bit, make sure you do your chores!” Then she raced out the door. Rainbow followed her, hearing the grumbling of Spike from upstairs before she left.

~<3~

Sweetie Belle sat in the wagon that was strapped to the back of Scootaloo’s scooter. The two were speeding along the dirt road on their way to Sweet Apple Acres. The unicorn was thinking over the events of that morning.

Things have been really weird. she thought. First the random colors, then my scars showing up, and I’m having uncontrollable magic… Why is all this stuff happening to me? She stared at her magic-blocking collar and saw that it was made out of some brown, durable material. It felt rough, and she had never seen anything like it before. Where did Twilight get this anyway?

She felt her mane and tail flowing in the wind as they sped closer to the home of the Apple family. She understood why Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo liked racing and such; it was a wonderful sensation.

Suddenly, Scootaloo skidded to a stop. The wagon twisted around and flung Sweetie Belle out onto the road. She fell flat on her face. Groaning, the unicorn sat up and looked questioningly at Scootaloo. “Why’d you stop?” she asked.

Scootaloo simply pointed a hoof at Sweetie Belle’s mane. The unicorn immediately realized what was wrong.

Although there was no wind and they were standing completely still, her mane and tail were still blowing around, much like how the princesses’ did. Both of the fillies’ eyes grew wide and they stared at each other, not sure what was going on.

“Howdy Sweets, howdy Scoots!” a young voice with a southern accent called. Sweetie and Scootaloo both looked towards Sweet Apple Acres and saw a yellow earth pony filly running towards them. Apple Bloom stopped by Sweetie Belle’s side and looked in wonder at her hair. “That’s a cool trick, how’re ya doing that?”

Sweetie Belle instead turned and sprinted to Apple Bloom’s house and looked at her reflection in one of the windows. Exactly like Celestia’s did, her hair was waving in non-existent wind and seemed to glow with unknown magic. She let out a confused sigh. “Today is such a weird day.” She said out loud.