• Published 18th Oct 2012
  • 3,412 Views, 55 Comments

Elite - Flamesinger599



Not every changeling is weak. Some are strong. Very strong.

  • ...
4
 55
 3,412

Night Time Crawl

A/N: Okay, next chapter's up. This was again proofread by my awesome pal, munomana, who managed to do a great job at around midnight. This guy's a freaking beast.

Other than that, enjoy like, and most of all COMMENT! They are the source of all my power!

Er... I mean... if you want to that is... sorry I yelled...

God, did I really just make that joke? *headbangs* Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Canterlot.

He was in Canterlot.

Okay, no problem. No need to panic. All he had to do was get out before the sun rose and everybody woke up. Simple.

Standing up, he groaned. He really needed to do something about his wing, though he wasn't quite sure what. His options weren't exactly full-range in this situation.

Looking across the rooftops, he saw that it would be fairly easy for him to make his way to the edge of the city by jumping from rooftop to rooftop. He would have to look out for pegasi patrols, and of course his wing would make the whole experience a trip to hell, but he wasn't complaining. It was about time something went his way, albeit slightly.

Limping, he made his way to the edge of the roof, careful not to look conspicuous. Peeking over the edge, he could clearly see the two guards he had eluded. They were continuing through the square, away from him. They wouldn't be able to see him up here anyway, not in this kind of light.

He surveyed the gap between his roof and the adjacent one. It was roughly ten feet across, with nothing to impede his landing on the other side. He wouldn't even have to get a running start.

Tensing up his legs, he crouched. Thinking about how much his wing would hurt on impact probably wasn't a good idea at this point.

He sprung, the muscles in his legs carrying him up six feet before descending onto the opposite roof. He hit the ground three feet away from the edge, but was unable to perform a roll due to his wing. This was unfortunate, as the lack of a roll meant that his hooves absorbed the impact. The shockwave traveled up through his legs, reached his chest, and from there was transferred to his wing, all in the span of about half a second.

He gasped, quickly stifling the noise by biting his lip. He couldn't help it. His wing literally felt like it was being ripped in half. At this point, he started wondering whether it would survive this short little endeavor. He sincerely hoped so.

Trying to shake off the pain, he continued to limp towards the next gap in the sea of rooftops. This one was cleared much like the first, and when he landed there was just as much pain. Was it really worth a disfigured wing just to escape the city? Probably not. But then, he wasn't exactly known for his decision-making skills.

Three rooftops. Four. Five. He was getting closer. He could easily make out the front gate, though that wasn't his destination. He was aiming for about fifty feet over, at one of the little side-gates set in the wall.

‘Less trouble that way,’ he reasoned.

Of course, things were never as simple as they should be.

He was recovering from his sixth landing when his ears picked up something. Flapping. Wings. Most likely a pegasi patrol. They had spotted him.

Frantically, his eyes darted back and forth. This roof was bare, with hardly enough cover to hide a bird's nest. There was definitely nothing up here that could hide him.

Which meant that he had to get off.

Ignoring the ever-present pain that was telling him no, running was not a good idea, he sprinted towards the end of the roof. No time to waste. He jumped, twisted, and on the way down caught the edge. He was now hanging off the side of the building.

Internally, his wing screamed. He bite his lip to mask the groans.

The flapping intensified, until he eventually heard the clip-clop of hooves on the roof. Two sets.

‘Gods, I hope they don’t have lanterns.’

“You sure you saw something?”

“I told you, I'm not sure. All I saw was a shadow. It might've been nothing.”

The first voice grunted, and there was the scrap of armor as he turned his head back and forth. “Well, there's nothing here now.”

“Yeah.” There was faint clip-clop. The guy was probably shuffling his hooves. “You think I could've imagined it?”

“You?” There was a snort. “Definitely.”

There was no reply. After a couple seconds, the gruff voice spoke up again. “C'mon. Admit you imagined it. There's nothing here, let's move on.”

“Yeah yeah yeah...” a pause. “Okay, you're right. Nothing here. Let's go.”

The flapping struck up again and began heading back towards the center of the city. He didn't dare move a muscle until the gentle beat faded completely.

When it did, he wasted no time in hauling himself back onto the rooftop and giving in to the chorus of moans and gasps that had been trying to make themselves known for the past five minutes. His wing hadn't appreciated that move.

Struggling, he used to forelegs to slowly ease himself off the ground. He couldn't stop now. He could rest and tend to his injuries once he had escaped this damn place. Managing to get to his hooves, he continued onward.

He encountered no other pegasi patrols. Each rooftop was a simple jump, land, whine in pain for a few seconds, and then jump again. After about twenty minutes, he landed atop the final building.

Crouching, he viewed the gate. Being a side-gate it was small, more of a glorified door actually. What puzzled him was the lack of any kind of protection. There were no guards anywhere. No pegasi, no foot patrols, no nothing. In all his years, this was the one thing he could safely say he had never seen before. One did not simply put in a side-gate and then just leave it there unguarded. Especially during the night.

This caused him to be a bit more suspicious than he normally would be, but honestly there was nothing to be suspicious about. He could see in the dark. There was no one laying under cover of darkness to attempt an ambush. No archers or unicorns on the surrounding rooftops. Besides, those seemed immensely over-complicated for a simple side-gate.

Hesitantly, he glanced downward. It was a twenty-foot drop to the bottom. Yeah. No. Instead, he opted to use a rather conveniently-placed water pipe to slide noiselessly down to earth, where he crouched and stayed in the shadows. He didn't really want to approach the gate. Every single one of his instincts was yelling 'ambush' or 'trap', and yet neither of these seemed logical. They had no idea he was here. Why would they put extra protection around such a minor thing?

Very slowly, he approached the door, senses alert. That was another thing about his wing. The pain distracted him, making him easier to sneak up on. And he didn't like the prospect of somebody sneaking up on him one bit.

He reached the door. Nothing yet. Reaching out one hoof, he gently tapped it. Again, nothing. Feeling kind of stupid, he tried the handle.

Locked. Okay, so maybe they weren't completely clueless.

Looking around, he again made sure no one was in the vicinity. He was alone. Good. He didn't want anyone around to hear him.

Gripping the handle, he tensed his muscles and twisted. A satisfying *snap* told him that both the handle and lock were disabled. Gently, he pushed open the door.

It swung outward without a hitch.

For a second, he didn't move, hardly daring to hope that it had been this simple. Then his brain kicked in. Muttering a quick word of thanks, he dashed through the door...

… and slammed right into what felt like a brick wall.

Stepping back, he rubbed his nose and cursed. What the hell had he bumped into?! There was nothing in his way! He had literally slammed into thin air!

Reaching out with a hoof, he felt the space in front of him. Solid. It felt like he was touching thick glass. His mind started making connections. There was only thing he knew of that felt like that.

He squinted. While he could see in the dark, that didn't necessarily mean he could discern colors, so he could have missed it. There was an easy way to tell though. Using his horn, he slowly penetrated the air before him. It too bumped against something solid. This time though, he used his magic to scan what he was touching.

A shield ward.

A really big shield ward.

He sighed and pulled away his horn. A shield ward, a.k.a. a force field. Those bastards had reactivated their force field. The same damn one they had used at the Battle of Canterlot.

He felt like slamming his head against something. Of COURSE there were no guards! They wouldn't need guards if they had a huge magical shield protecting the whole city! He was surprised now that he even ran into a pegasi patrol! They seemed like the most useless thing in the world compared to what was now in front of him!

He shook his head, forcing himself to calm down. No. This was not the end of the world. He had broken through one of these before, he could do it again. Sure, he had had a whole army of changelings by his side and the castor of the spell (The Captain of the Guard, he believed) had been severely weakened due to Chrysalis's mind control, but nothing was impossible, right?

He sighed. Yeah. Sure.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Shining Armor was having a dream.

There wasn't much to it, but it was a good one. He was floating in what felt like a void. Books, quills, swords, armor, and other things from his life drifted around him in a calm vortex, twisting and spinning. Smiling, he slowly reached out and grabbed hold of a book. 'The Ways and Windings of the Ocean'. His smile widened. He remembered that one. Cadence had forced him to read it. It had actually turned out to be quite good.

Letting go, he searched around for another one. Ah yes, 'Myths and Fantasies of Ancient Times'. He was almost done with that one. He had always preferred fiction over non-fiction books, as they were usually the more entertaining ones.

Reaching out, he tried to grab it and found he wasn't close enough. No matter. He would just drift a little closer and-

*bzzz*

With that one little noise, His entire relaxing world was broken. Everything began to spin, being sucked to a single point and dragging him along with it. Upon reaching that point, his dream exploded into reality.

With a start, he woke up.

Blinking, he turned his head back and forth, still blearily for being asleep not five minutes ago. What had woken him up? He could feel Cadence snoring peacefully beside him, so it wasn't her.

‘Ugh...’ His eyes tried to find the clock. ‘What time is it even...?’

*bzzz*

There. Again. What was that? He hadn't heard it as much as he had felt it. A sincere little buzz that had originated from his horn and resounded throughout his mind.

Sleepily, he sat up. Where had he heard that before? He faintly recognized it, but in his tired state he couldn't recall where it was from.

*bzzz*

‘Ugh... Celestia-damnit...’

Rubbing his eyes, he shook his head to try and clear it. He know that sound. It had happened a while ago. Something had been happening. His memories were unclear, but he was sure he had felt that buzz during...

… the Battle of Canterlot.

Suddenly, he was full of energy. Jumping out of bed, he quickly began to dress. He had been brainwashed during that period, but he sincerely remembered feeling that buzz, even through the mind-control. It had happened when the changeling army attacked.

Someone was trying to break through the force field.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Again, he punched.

His foreleg flew against the shield, producing another small crack, and again his wing protested.

He stepped back a few feet to admire his work. Three cracks now adorned the shield, evidence of his displeasure of it being in his way. He sighed. It would take some time, but as long as no one noticed him he should be fine. At least he was able to hurt the damn thing.

His wing, of course, was acting up whenever he sent even the slightest of tremors through it, but honestly that was all in the background for him. It wasn't like it was going to stop hurting anytime soon.

Shaking his hoof, he punched again.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

It was a silent alarm.

After dressing and making sure Cadence was asleep, Shining Armor had quickly made his way down to the barracks. There, he had quickly woken up several lieutenants and told them to gather a team. After everyone had gathered, Shining told them of the situation. Armor and weapons were distributed, and the team of about fifteen had silently began their trek through the city.

Shining was able to home in on the buzzing, and the team had been told to move as silently and as quickly as they could. The last thing they wanted was for their prey to know he had been spotted.

Eventually, they found the source of the buzzing. Except... it wasn't exactly what Shining had thought it was going to be.

Instead of a group of changelings trying to get in, what they found was a lone changeling trying to get out. This confused Shining. How had a changeling gotten into the city?!

He remained calm though. The changeling hadn't noticed them, it seemed too focused on the force field. Turning his head, he viewed his hastily-assembled team. It wasn't half-bad, actually. A couple unicorns like himself were poised to blast the changeling with stun spells, and the rest were on the ground, ready to attack if given the call.

He almost did, but reminded himself that he was trying to avoid a ruckus, and hence an alarm. He wanted this problem contained without any trouble.

Just looking at the changeling though made it hard for him not to give the order the blast the thing repeatedly. These things and their queen had imprisoned Cadence and impersonated her, trying to control him. And they had succeeded too. If it wasn't for his little sister and her friends, he would probably have never seen his real wife again. He would have stayed in his mind-controlled state, believing that the monster he was with was his bride, and that nothing was wrong.

He shook himself mentally. Now was not the time to think of that.

Raising a hoof, he quietly signaled one of his men. 'Take him out quietly'. The soldier nodded and crept up behind the changeling, not making a sound.

That was when the changeling stopped punching.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

He stopped punching.

Panting slightly, mostly due to his wing, he once again surveyed the shield. It was almost broken. Ten minutes of almost non-stop attack mode had paid off. A few more punches and he would be free.

Letting out a deep sigh, he gathered his breath for another run. Raising a hoof, he was fully drawn back before his ears once again perked up.

Was that...

… scuffling?

Suddenly, two forelegs were around his throat.

139 Years Ago:

It was mid-afternoon at the hive. The sun was shining, but not bright enough that the temperature was unbearable. No, it was a pleasant day. A light breeze had sprung up, and anyone outside would have heard birds singing. This was the kind of day one would not want to spend cooped up indoors.

Many sources will tell you that the changeling hive is a horrid place, located far away in the middle of some hot desert, where sandstorms were numerous and frequent. This couldn't be farther from the truth. In reality, the changeling hive resided at the very edge of the Everfree, on the opposite end away from Ponyville. It was within traveling distance of both the Griffon and Diamond Dog capitols, and it wasn't unusual for changelings to frequent both cities.

As for the hive itself, it was a combination of traditional changeling building methods and modern-day materials. The majority of the structure was made of packed dirt and mud around a wooden skeleton, with many enchantments holding everything together. For some reason, trees and plants that grew next to the hive tended to bond with the mud and dirt, snaking around the walls and providing extra support as well as a nature-like flourish. The trees that did this usually grew to enormous heights, some even reaching the top of the hive and curling around it. Changeling scientists and plant-experts have studied this phenomenon for ages, and yet not one of them has ever succeeded in finding a reason for it. The trees just seemed to enjoy being around the hive. Eventually the changelings just stopped trying to figure it out, and these days nobody questioned why the trees grew the way they did.

In recent years, trading and barter with the griffons and diamond dogs had boomed, and materials such as metal and glass had become accessible. The changelings didn't have a whole lot of need for these materials building-wise, but the prospect of better weapons, armor, and a solid see-through material made them worth buying. Windows became a very popular thing among the hive.

And that was only the top part.

It might surprise some people to know that only about 60% of the hive is above ground. The rest resides under the earth, with tunnels connecting each major room. Diamond dogs had been enlisted for this part, using their superior digging to accomplish in a few days what would take changelings several weeks. In return, the dogs had been able to keep any and all gems they found, which actually added up to a lot. If there was one thing changelings were, it was fair.

These underground rooms were used for many things. Experiments, housing, storage, and even training for soldiers. It was in one of these rooms that a certain changeling was preparing himself for a fight.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Corlo didn't move.

His body was relaxed, his breathing regular. He kept his eyes on his opponent, watching for any hint of movement that might signal an attack. His forelegs were on the ground, unmoving. He wasn't going to make the first move if he could help it.

His opponent shifted slightly, rocking back and forth on his hooves. Corlo tensed, preparing himself to block an incoming blow.

It didn't come. His opponent just kept on rocking, his eyes never moving from Corlo's face. Corlo stayed tense, waiting for a surprise attack.

20 seconds.

30 seconds.

A minute.

Two minutes.

After three minutes, Corlo relaxed his muscles. If his opponent wasn't going to attack first, he might as well-

There was flash of movement.

Corlo jumped back in surprise, barely raising his foreleg in time to block the incoming blow. His opponent didn't let up, sending blow after blow at any part of Corlo he could reach. Corlo's hooves were a blur, blocking any attacks thrown at him. Now that his senses were awakened, he was confident that he would be able to gain the upper hand.

He was right. After a short period of blocking, he reached up and caught his opponent's right hoof in mid-punch. Shoving him away, Corlo began his own sequence of attacks, directing them mainly at his opponent's head. Said opponent managed to block them, but Corlo knew he was weakening. His punches were stronger and faster than an ordinary changeling's. It was only a matter of time before he won.

Bringing his hoof down once more, he found his path once again blocked by his opponent's forelegs. Instead of breaking away and attacking again, he applied pressure, trying to break the block. His opponent strained. Corlo knew that he wouldn't be able to resist his superior strength. He took note of his opponent's eyes. There was a hint of fear on them, the kind he associated with a person who was about to lose.

This motivated him to increase his payload. Leaning in, he applied almost all of his strength onto his opponent's block, nearly toppling him over.

That was when his opponent made his move.

The fear in his eyes vanished, only to be replaced with a smug smile. In one fluid movement, he dodged to the side, removing his weight from beneath Corlo. This left Corlo applying most of his strength into thin air, which, of course, caused him to stumble. The other changeling took this opportunity to perform a low kick, sweeping Corlo off his feet and onto his chest. Before he could blink, he found himself pinned, his foreleg wrenched behind his back in a classic disarming move.

He tried to break it, but anyone who has experienced that kind of pin knows that neither strength nor speed will help you. He wasn't able to sway his opponent in the least.

After five minutes of struggling, he finally relaxed and lowered his head. “I submit.”

The pin was removed. Standing up, Corlo stretched his limbs and groaned. His foreleg felt like it had been dislocated and then put back in. For all he knew, that might've happened. Turning, he faced his opponent.

At 18 years of age, Corlo was turning out to be a fine young changeling, if not a rather average one. He wasn't particularly good-looking by changeling standards, though he certainly wasn't ugly, and his muscles could have been the ones of someone who worked out occasionally. He didn't appear to be anything special, but anyone who knew him knew better. He was the smartest in his class, soaking up knowledge and information like a sponge. He could run a mile in under a minute and not be exhausted. He could lift a total of 356 pounds, which was over twice his body weight. His magic abilities surpassed that of most of his teachers, and most of the spells he knew came from books. Already, it was clear the experiment had worked.

His opponent, on the other hand, was old, at 82 years of age. He went by the name of Draco, though most who knew him just called him master. He was the hive's best hoof-to-hoof combatant, and in his lifetime had trained all of the queen's generals. Now he was teaching what could very well become his superior. Not that he minded. To him, any student who wanted to learn and was able to was certainly worth his time.

He took his time to study Corlo, noting the way he cradled his foreleg and the look of defeat in his eyes, which not a moment ago had been falsely portrayed in his own.

When he spoke, his voice was cracked, revealing how old he was. “You lost.”

Corlo shifted his feet. “Yes master.”

“Why?”

Corlo was slightly confused by this question. “You beat me, master.”

Draco snorted. “I know that. What I want to know is why.”

Corlo stood there for a couple seconds, his mouth slightly open. Then he shook his head. “I don't know master.”

“Well you should. You are faster and stronger than I am. You should have been able to beat me five minutes ago. Why didn't you?”

Corlo racked his brain. He hated trick questions. “You took me by surprise.”

“Yes. Annnnnnd...?”

Corlo grimaced. “And... that's all?”

“Wrong.” Draco gave his student a light rap on the forehead. “Come now, the teacher's told me you were smart. The answer is obvious. You are 18. The only combat you've seen is your training with me and the other trainers. Look at me. I'm old. I have seen battles upon battles and duels upon duels, and participated in at least three quarters of them. In short, I am much better at fighting than you are.”

He stepped away and began pacing. “I know what you did back there. When you saw the fear in my eyes, you immediately assumed you had the upper hand and threw caution to the winds. You thought that I, an old, old combat veteran, would put myself in that position on purpose? Care to explain the reasoning behind that?”

Corlo bowed his head, ashamed. “I underestimated you, master.”

Draco stopped pacing and looked at him. “EXACTLY. Maybe you do have some sense in that head of yours. You underestimated me, and that is the last thing you ever want to do on the battlefield. In a fight, you never know what your opponent is capable of until he does it, and by then it's usually too late. This is why you must always, always treat your opponent with the same caution you should have treated me with.” He eyed Corlo. “Understand?”

“Yes master.”

“Good.” He took note of Corlo's bowed head and snorted “And for the love of Chrysalis, stop looking like you've failed your whole life's purpose. It was a simple mistake.”

Corlo looked up, slightly unsure of himself. “But you said...”

“What I said doesn't matter. Come now boy, I'm old. I'm supposed to be grumpy, aren't I?” A cheeky smile appeared on Draco's face. “Now, again!”

As the duel commenced, Corlo couldn't help but smile.

Present Day:

Suddenly, two forelegs were around his throat.

He reacted instinctively. Grabbing the offending hooves he twisted, pulling the would-be assassin out from behind him and into his range of vision. In about half a second, his mind processed what he was seeing and made the appropriate connections.

A guard. A lone guard. But no, pony guards never patrolled alone, or even guarded alone. They always worked in pairs. And since there was only one here, that must mean the other one had stayed to cover him. Which meant...

He twisted again, pulling the unfortunate guard with him. Not a moment too soon. There was a flash of light as several spells flew from various locations, each stopped by the body of the guard who had tried to ambush him.

The guard's eyes rolled into his head and his body went limp. Stunning spells.

Throwing the unconscious guard away, he took in the situation. Fourteen soldiers, not including the one who had just acted as his personal shield. Each of them were armed, and they were all blinking, the sudden flash of light messing with their senses.

He silently cursed. This wasn't a patrol. It was a whole damn squad!

He ran.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Shining Armor was pissed.

This had been simple. Capture the changeling, throw it in a cell, go to sleep, deal with it tomorrow. That had more or less been the plan of operations. And then it had gone wrong.

The changeling had somehow noticed them, and the guard that had been sent to ambush it was now sporting three bruises where the spells had impacted him.

Blinking away the bright light in the middle of his vision, Shining growled. “Get him!”

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Chasing him.

The idiots were actually trying to chase him.

He had to hand it to them though, they weren't doing that bad a job. His wing prevented him from going full speed, and even though he was black, one of the guards would still manage to catch sight of him. Said guard would then alert the others, and soon he would have every guard after him again.

Panting, he uttered another silent curse. How could he have been so stupid?! He should have been able to hear these guys from a mile away!

What annoyed him most was that it was mostly his fault. He should have stayed aware of his surroundings. If he hadn't taken a pause, that guard probably would've succeeded at knocking him out, especially if he had struck his wing.

He shook his head. Now was not the time to kick himself. Now was the time to find a hiding spot, and fast.

He entered the square. Behind him, he heard the shouts of the guards. They had certainly abandoned any pretense of being quiet. The whole city could probably hear it. As he ran, a light went on in a building next to him.

‘Great.’ He thought. ‘Just great.’

Where was he going to go anyway? The shield protected the whole city, and he was running away from the only conceivable exit point. Maybe if he doubled back...

His thoughts were interrupted as he heard panting next to him. Turning his head, he was surprised to find that one of the guards had managed to grow level with him. Growling, he put on a burst of speed, his wing protesting all the while. The guard was left in the dust.

Slowing down a little bit, he panted. If only his damn wing wasn't broken! If he could run full speed, this chase would've been over before it began! As it was, each step made his wing flash white-hot and his breathing was becoming labored.

He couldn't keep this up forever.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

He couldn't believe what he was seeing.

The changeling was somehow managing to stay ahead of every single guard in his team, even the pegasi. His own soldiers were yelling and shouting, calling out where the changeling was and where he was headed.

“Somebody shoot it with a stun spell!” he bellowed. “Knock it out already!”

His command was followed. The three unicorns in his group, plus himself, all started firing stun spells. Hopefully, one of them would hit it.

This wasn't meant to be. The changeling seemed to sense whenever a spell was fired and was able to get out of the way at the last minute. Normally, Shining Armor would've accounted for such acts as pure luck, but luck didn't happen more than twenty times in a row. This changeling was dodging everything they threw at him.

Just what the hay were they dealing with?

Shining began to pay more attention to the creature's movements. Something he noticed was that at each intersection, it would always turn left. In fact, they had probably turned a full circle since the chase began.

The creature was trying to circle back around. And he wasn't about to let that happen.

Putting on a burst of speed, he drew level with the three other unicorns. Sidling up to them, he muttered “Follow me.”

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

The stunning spells stopped.

He was tired. Nothing was more tiring than pain, and he was experiencing a lot of that due to his injury. When the spells had started, he had been able to dodge them, but doing so had greatly aggravated his wing. He hoped it would be able to last a bit longer.

A bit longer was all he needed. During this whole chase, he had purposefully been circling around, and now he was on a direct route to the gate. Once he was free of the city, he doubted they would follow him.

Once again, he emerged into a square. The same square he had barreled through not ten minutes ago. His eyes found the proper road, and he poured his energy into his legs, making them go faster. They wouldn't be able to catch him now.

One corner. Two corners. An alleyway. He was almost there. Finding himself on the last road, he turned another corner and-

FLASH!!!

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

The changeling rounded the bend.

Shining Armor and his men, who were standing in front of the gate, opened fire. The changeling tried to dodge them, but there was too many spells at too close a range. A total of six impacted the creature, and it was flung back, hitting the ground with a thud.

He sighed. Finally, that was over.

He approached the changeling. When he got within a couple feet of it, his team rounded the bed, screeching to a halt as they saw him standing next to it.

“Did you get it?” asked one of the lieutenants.

“Yeah, we got it.” He turned to the rest of the team. “Bundle this thing up and throw it in a cell. I'll notify Princess Celestia of the situation tomorrow and we'll decide what to do with it. Until then, go get some sleep.”

As the team descended upon the changeling, Shining wiped his brow. That run had tired him, and he was greatly inclined to go back to bed. He turned away from his men and strode over to the gate to survey the damage done.

What he found amazed him.

The shield was fractured, a complete mess. That changeling had single-handedly managed to almost destroy this part of the shield entirely.

He frowned.

Turning to the side, he walked up to a perfectly intact section of the shield. Experimentally, he felt it. It felt rather like thick glass.

He considered this for a few seconds. Then, without warning, he punched the shield. The impact only succeeded in hurting his hoof. He punched again. And again. When his hoofs felt like they were going to shatter at the slightest touch, he stopped, panting.

The shield was perfectly intact. Not a scratch adorned it's surface.

His frown deepened. Turning towards his team, he watched as they hauled the unconscious body to the prison cells.

Just what had that changeling been doing?

-End of Chapter 2-

A/N: Uh oh. This looks bad. I'm gonna have to write the next chapter quick.

Again, please comment and tell me how I'm doing. Or at least leave a like. Thanks!