• Published 17th Oct 2012
  • 1,672 Views, 142 Comments

The Reception's Back On - sister_mike



Part 2 of "The Reception's Been Canceled"

  • ...
3
 142
 1,672

Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Blinkie

Blinkie stood at the edge of the Everfree Forest. She had heard many different terrifying stories about this place. The princess said she knew someone who actually lived in the forest. Maybe all of the rumors weren't true; maybe this place wasn't so bad. The changelings couldn't enter it after all.

Blinkie hesitated nevertheless. Princess Luna had already began walking inside. She stopped and turned her head back to Blinkie.

"I assure you, it's alright," she said kindly. Blinkie took a deep breath and then stepped into the forest.

It wasn't as bad as she thought. Even though it was daytime, the forest was still a bit dark.

It's probably lighter when the sun is shining, Blinkie thought.

"Most likely, yes," Luna said.

Blinkie still wasn't used to the fact that Luna could hear her thoughts. She had told Luna a bit about herself, and what had happened to her, and how she had survived the changelings attacks so far. Although Luna had initially invited Blinkie to travel along to her, after she found out that Blinkie was sisters with one of the Element bearers, Luna insisted that Blinkie travel with her.

"The sun doesn't shine without my sister to guide it," Luna said.

And you have no idea where she is?

Luna shook her head. "She's somewhere in the Canterlot palace, I'm sure, but I do not know where; and while I was imprisoned there, I could not strongly detect her presence. I am concerned for her."

That's odd. So, you and Princess Celestia can sense one another in buildings and towns and such?

"Yes, it's part of our magical connection as alicorns. We can detect Princess Cadance as well," Luna said.

She was the princess who was having the wedding right?

"Yes; Chrysalis impersonated her," Luna said angrily. "Because Chrysalis is essentially in an alicorn-like body, we did not detect anything amiss with our powers. And since she directly avoided seeing me in person throughout her impersonation period, I could not see her for who she really was."

You can see through the changelings disguises?

"Yes," Luna said sharply. Blinkie sensed that she didn't want to go into detail. She figured from that statement, that Luna could see through the disguises, but Princess Celestia couldn't.

Where is Princess Cadance now?

"Somewhere in the palace as well. I could detect her more easily than I could my sister. My sister's.. 'pulse', if you will, was very faint. I'm extremely concerned," Luna said, her tone softening.

I'm concerned about my sisters too.

"I'm sure they are fine. For all we know, they are at Zecora's right now," Luna said.

Just as she spoke the words, the hut came into their sight. A small stream of smoke was coming out of the chimney, and the flicker of a firelight could be seen through the windows.

Blinke and Luna approached the door. Luna knocked on it with her hoof. When nobody answered, Luna knocked again, louder.

"W-W-W-Who's there?" a timid voice asked on the other side.

"Apple Bloom? It's Princess Luna," Luna said softly.

The door slowly opened and a yellow coated filly appeared from behind it. A huge wave of relief came on her face upon seeing Princess Luna. Behind the filly, a few feet away, were two foals looking curiously towards the door.

"Where is Zecora?" Princess Luna asked, stepping inside of the hut. Apple Bloom eyed Blinkie curiously, but then looked back towards the princess.

"She n' the others all left for Canterlot; you didn't meet up with them?" Apple Bloom asked.

Luna shook her head. She looked over at the colts and then back to Apple Bloom.

"I told them I would meet them in Ponyville, but I guess I was too late. They left you here, by yourself with these young colts?" Luna asked. Apple Bloom nodded.

"Pinkie Pie and Rarity saved the foals; they're the twins of the family that Pinkie lives with, and she was concerned for their health inside the cocoons," Apple Bloom said.

Is Pinkie ok? What about Inkie?

Blinkie automatically began to stomp out her question, when Luna interrupted.

"Excuse my manners; Apple Bloom, this is Blinkie. She is Pinkie Pie's sister," Luna said.

Apple Bloom's eyes widened as she checked out Blinkie again.

"You're Blinkie Pie? But, Pinkie Pie and her other sister said you'd been killed by the changelings," Apple Bloom said.

Blinkie was taken aback.

What? Why on earth would Inkie and Pinkie think that... I told Pinkie I would be meeting her in Ponyville...

"There must have been a miscommunication," Luna said.

"What?" Apple Bloom said.

"Blinkie cannot speak, but she can hear. I have used a spell so we can communicate and I can hear her thoughts," Luna explained.

"Pinkie explained how you saved her n' Inkie and how you were dragged into a hole with changelings and how you pilled a pin on a grenade and kept it in your mouth—how do you survive something like that!?" Apple Bloom said.

Luna looked over at Blinkie.

"Is that true? Explains why you popped out of the ground..."

Blinkie shifted uncomfortably. There were some things about the day of the accident that had caused her to lose her voice, that she hadn't fully told or explained to anyone. Things that had to do with her cutie mark and her pyrotechnics ability.

It's... just a miracle I suppose...

Luna looked at her long and hard. Blinkie knew the princess could tell she was lying. But she let it go. Luna had clearly withheld something from her earlier, and now she was doing the same. Neither would press for more information.

"How long ago did the group leave?" Luna asked, breaking her intense stare from Blinkie.

"Hours ago. They left early this mornin'," Apple Bloom said.

Had it taken Blinkie really that long to tunnel her way to Ponyville? Taking into consideration what had happened, the more she thought about it, the more she wasn't surprised it had taken her a long time to get here.

"Was one of my guards with them? I sent someone to find Twilight Sparkle to help her during her journey, in case I was unable to make it in time.... which I clearly was," Luna said.

"Yes, he's with the group," Apple Bloom said.

"And the parents for these foals; you say they are Pinkie Pie's home owners here?" Luna said. Apple Bloom nodded.

"They're the Cakes. They own Sugarcube Corner," Apple Bloom said.

"I am going to free the ponies of Ponyville," Luna announced. "I am going to free them and then whoever wishes to come and fight in Canterlot can do so. Either way, the ponies of Equestria have suffered enough."

Luna gave Apple Bloom a hug, and then turned for the door.

"Come Blinkie; I'll quickly free the citizens of Ponyville, and then we will make our way to Canterlot. We have to catch up to the Elements of Harmony and defeat Chrysalis."