• Published 17th Oct 2012
  • 1,672 Views, 142 Comments

The Reception's Back On - sister_mike



Part 2 of "The Reception's Been Canceled"

  • ...
3
 142
 1,672

Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash spun round and round in the cyclone. As hard as she tried to steady herself or fly out of the cyclone, she'd always be sucked back in. Flapping her wings seemed almost useless. She even tried to just stop and see if she would fall to the ground, but the cyclone kept a strong grip on her.

The sound of wind rushed all around her, drowning out any other sounds. But ever so faintly, she thought she heard someone say her name.

Looking around her—which was difficult to do while being hurled around in a cyclone—she saw a streak of grey whisk past her. The flash of grey appeared again, saying her name. It was Derpy.

Rainbow Dash couldn't believe it. She had been so caught up in trying to find a way to get out of the cyclone herself, that she hadn't realized that the other pegasi had been dragged in as well. Every now and then she could now see a streak of white above her, and a streak of black above that. CloudsArmor and Titan Wings.

Rainbow Dash could see Derpy coming towards her again. This time, Derpy grabbed onto Rainbow Dash's tail and hung on. The two them spun around together.

"Derpy! Let go! I can't fly straight with you hanging on like that!" Rainbow Dash shouted. Derpy clung on tighter.

"No Rain-bow Dash! We need to get to CloudsArmor and Titan Wings, and we need to fly out together!" Derpy shouted back.

"What?" Rainbow Dash said.

"Trust me, it will work!" Derpy shouted again.

Be patient. Celestia's voice rang through Rainbow Dash's head again. Even though she couldn't follow Derpy's logic in to how that would get them out of the cyclone, she took a deep breath and started to fly-climb towards CloudsArmor. She felt Derpy shift behind her, and then suddenly Derpy was beside her.

"It'll be easier if we fly up there together—I tied our tails together," Derpy shouted over the sound of the cyclone.

Ugh. Rainbow Dash figured the faster she flew up, maybe the more likely she'd be able to reach CloudsArmor. There'd be no way that Derpy would be able to keep up. She'd just be slowing Rainbow Dash down. But Rainbow Dash decided to try and listen to Celestia's words, and as Derpy began to fly up through the cyclone towards CloudsArmor, Rainbow Dash noticed that they made progress faster. Whereas Rainbow Dash on her own had been struggling endlessly, she and Derpy slowly moved up together.

After a few minutes of struggling against the fierce wind, they were in line with CloudsArmor. As he spun around and approached them, Derpy stuck her leg out and grabbed onto him.

"Tie your tail to mine; we need to go to Titan Wings and then fly out of the cyclone together," she shouted to CloudsArmor. Without arguing, CloudsArmor tied his tail to Derpy's, and the three of them made their way up to Titan Wings.

Rainbow Dash was surprised that CloudsArmor didn't argue or question Derpy's idea. The white pegasus had been hot-headed when he and Rainbow Dash had first met; and yet he easily succumbed to Derpy's apparent leadership in the situation.

With three of them, the struggle against the wind was lighter. They reached Titan Wings in half the time it took them to reach CloudsArmor.

I can't believe Derpy was right, Rainbow Dash thought, as Derpy directed Titan Wings to tie his tail to CloudsArmor's.

"Ok! Everyone, together, try to fly out of the cyclone!" Derpy yelled.

The four of them worked together and pushed against the wind keeping them entrapped. All the while they were pushing through the cyclone's edges, Rainbow Dash still couldn't believe that Derpy's plan was working.

Finally, the four of them burst free of the cyclone. Rainbow Dash felt dizzy, the world around her still spinning. Carefully, the group landed on the ground. Once Rainbow Dash's view stopped turning, she saw the cyclone still moving in the distance, unaware that its prisoners had escaped.

They untied their tails and Derpy did a triumphant jump.

"Derpy... how did you know what to do?" Rainbow Dash asked, still in disbelief. She had this pegasus pegged all wrong.

"It's always better to work together," Derpy answered with a smile.

"What do you suppose that was?" CloudsArmor asked.

"Some sort of dark magic..." Titan Wings answered, looking off at the cyclone.

"I think it was a trap, specifically meant for us pegasi," Rainbow Dash said. "Only a few changelings came out of it to attack the ground group, and the rest of us were pulled away instantly. It had to be a trap."

"Yes, that must be what it was," Titan Wings said.

"But for what purpose? Where was it taking us? It was taking us further away from Canterlot," CloudsArmor said.

"It may have been Chrysalis's magic, but I guess she wasn't bringing us to her. It was probably taking us to a waiting swarm of changelings," Rainbow Dash said.

"Trying to separate the Elements, maybe," Derpy said quietly.

Rainbow Dash turned and looked at Derpy. She was staring far off, watching the cyclone as it grew smaller and smaller in the distance. She surprised Rainbow Dash once again with her apparent wisdom, and she was definitely surprised by Derpy's serious tone.

There's so much more to this pony that I don't even know.

"Yes, most likely. They have already separated us from Fluttershy; and now only four of the six Elements remain together," Titan Wings said.

"We're separated, but we're not dead. And Fluttershy isn't either. They haven't killed us yet. It's just a delay," Rainbow Dash said.

"But they'll try to separate someone else next," Titan Wings said, "that is evidently their plan at the moment."

"Well, the best, and really only thing we can do, is head to Canterlot then. Meet up with them there," Rainbow Dash said, stretching her wings. They ached from the constant flying in the cyclone.

"Without having to wait for those on foot, we should meet up with them quite easily," CloudsArmor said.

Titan Wings nodded, and he and CloudsArmor spread their wings, getting ready for take off again. They jumped into the air. Rainbow Dash made to follow, but turned behind to look at Derpy.

"Come on Derpy; time to go," she said.

Derpy still stared off at the cyclone. Rainbow Dash walked over to her and put her hoof on her shoulder.

"It's ok Derpy, we're out now. You did really good. You... you saved us from the cyclone," Rainbow Dash said.

"And yet there are still so many other ponies to save," she said quietly. Rainbow Dash was still surprised by her serious tone.

"And we'll save them, once we defeat Chrysalis," Rainbow Dash said. "Everything's going to turn out ok Derpy. I promise."

"Hmmm... ok Rain-bow Dash. But I don't like ponies who can't keep their promises."