• Published 15th Oct 2012
  • 4,589 Views, 276 Comments

The Adventures of Supermare: Side Stories to Mare of Steel - iowaforever



Rainbow Dash grows in her role as Supermare

  • ...
2
 276
 4,589

Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck

It was another slow day. Cloudsdale was fully repaired, the weather teams had only a few adjustments to make, and Rumble had got off to school without any major problems. So, once again, Thunderlane found himself with nothing to do, so sleeping in was called for. He lay sprawled out over his bed, a pillow resting on his face to block out the sunlight, snoring slightly. In his mind drifted a multitude of images, most of them incomprehensible but one image did repeat itself a few times: a red S set inside a shield.

He had stayed in that position for almost half an hour before hearing a knock at the door. Thunderlane pushed the pillow off his head and got out of bed, yawning as he made his way to the door. He opened the door and found... nothing. Sighing, he closed the door and turned around, almost tripping over a familiar rainbow maned mare dressed in a red cape and blue suit.

“Took you long enough to let me in.” Rainbow Dash said, giving Thunderlane a small smirk.

“You know, when somepony comes over, they usually wait outside for somepony to let them in?”

“Most ponies don’t date superheroes.” Rainbow shuffled a little. “And isn’t that what special someponies do? Walk into their special somepony’s house?” a pause.

“Well... yeah, I guess, but...” the two looked around, trying to find the right words to say.

“Right. Sorry if I spooked you or anything; I’m still kinda new to this whole relationship thing.”

“I understand.” he chuckled a little. “So, now that you’re here...”

“Oh yeah, that’s right.” Rainbow fluffed her wings. “I was thinking, since you and I didn’t have anything going on tomorrow, that we could go out and get some lunch or something.” Thunderlane perked up. Ever since the fight at Cloudsdale, he and Rainbow had not really gotten a chance to see each other all that much; a few small words, a glance or two, nothing more.

“Sounds great. But... what if something comes up? I mean, I don’t want to distract you from anything important.”

“Brainiac’s still in stone and Silversmith’s weekly attempt to kill me happened two days ago, so I’d say we’re in the clear.”

“... A business pony is trying to kill you?”

“Long story. I’ll explain it to you some other time if you’re really that interested.”

“... I can live with that. So...” there was a pause. “Where do you want to go?”

“There’s that little restaurant over by Sugarcube Corner; Twilight took me there after the incident in Canterlot and I remember it being pretty good.”

“Okay, that’s what we’ll do.”

“Great.” Rainbow smiled. “Now, I’ve got to make a few rounds and Twilight said she wanted to show me something, so I’ll see you tomorrow.” she gave Thunderlane a quick peck and exited his house, racing off towards Seaddle once she was certain no one was watching. Thunderlane stood in the doorway for a few minutes, watching the sky where Rainbow Dash had disappeared.

................

“So, Twi. What is it that you wanted me to see?” Rainbow asked later that day as she stepped into Twilight’s Library. The entire structure had changed; for one, dozens more bookshelves had been added due to Twilight having “discovered” a few new spells during a trip to Manehattan, and Rainbow’s fur stood on end as she crossed over the threshold.

Although, that might also have been from the freaky helmet and necklace that Twilight seemed to be wearing more often. She was not wearing them now, but it still creeped Rainbow out.

“Well, I was messing around with a piece of Kryptonite,” Twilight said, turning to face her friend. “And I think I found a way to neutralize the harmful radiation it gives off.”

“... Are you sure that helmet didn’t knock a few screws loose?” Twilight giggled.

“Of course not. If anything, Nabu’s been more than helpful with my research.”

“Oh, so the helmet has a name now?”

“That’s irrelevant.” Twilight turned around and reached for a lead box. “Now, I applied a few neutralizing spells and some alchemy to the Kryptonite, trying to change its makeup into something else. I... did make a few mistakes at first, but I think I found the right mixture this time.” She passed the box to Rainbow Dash, who held it at arms length as if it were a dangerous animal Fluttershy had asked her to hold.

“Twilight, it’s great that you’re trying to help me and all, but what if this ends up killing me even faster than regular Kryptonite?”

“We can always close the box then.” Twilight gave a small smile. “And I’ve been looking in to a few spells that can slow or reverse Kryptonite Poisoning. You should be fine.” Twilight, if I open this up, and I die, I’m going to kill you. Rainbow Dash swallowed and slowly moved to open the box, her wings tensing in preparation for flying away as fast as she could.

She winced as the box fully opened, bathing her in red light. Any second she expected to feel dizzy and collapse, but nothing happened. She blinked a few times and looked into the box, eyeing the glowing red Kryptonite.

“It... it’s not killing me.”

“YES!” Twilight cried, jumping in place for a few moments. “It works. I can’t believe it works!”

“Whoa, hold on Twi.” Rainbow closed the box and handed it back to Twilight. “Maybe it’s just taking a little longer to kill me. Why don’t I just come back tomorrow and if I’m okay then yeah, it worked.”

“Oh... I guess that would be reasonable.” Twilight took the box back and placed it on her work table. “Guess I’ll see you tomorrow then?”

“Yeah, I’ll be over just after breakfast, if that’s cool with you.” Rainbow nodded and turned to leave, her mind mulling over the possibilities of never having to worry about death by green rocks again.

However, unbeknownst to her, small changes began to take place within Rainbow’s body.

...............

Maxima, queen of Almerac, had a problem.

Normally, she would have just beaten the problem into submission, but doing that had only made the problem worse. She had driven away every “suitor” she could find, and to her that was beginning to get annoying. She sat on her throne, idly spinning her sword with her hoof and waiting for a solution to her problem to manifest.

“Um... Your Highness?” Maxima’s eye’s darted to the source of the voice, another Earth Pony dressed in the garb of a servant, who was carrying a small stack of forms. Oh, not this again.

“What is it now?”

“Well, you see... some of the citizens are complaining that there hasn’t been enough food-”

“That’s ridiculous.” Maxima gestured to the room around her. “I’ve looked around, I haven’t seen a food shortage.”

“Well... that because you’re getting all of it.”

“And why shouldn’t I?” Maxima stood up to face the servant, placing her sword on her back. “I am the queen of Almerac; I am entitled to taking what I need, am I not?”

“I-I suppose so, but... do you always need so much?”

“Of course. When one is as powerful as I am, they should have what they desire.” she turned away. “If you wanted to be helpful, you and your fellow should continue looking for a suitable mate for me.”

“But we’ve looked everywhere, Your Majesty, and you’ve sent everyone away-”

“That’s because your definition of ‘searching’ isn’t thorough enough!” Maxima barked. “I asked you to find me a strong warrior, and all I get are a bunch of good for nothings that are about as capable as fresh recruits. Is that too much to ask, to find me the strongest warrior possible?”

“Um, n-no your majesty.” the servant shuffled a little. “B-but... well, we were hearing rumors.”

“About what?”

“Well... On Equestria, there's a... pony. A pony that was said to be the last Kryptonian.”

“Really?” Maxima’s curiosity was piqued. She had never met a Kryptonian during her lifetime, but she had heard of them being highly capable of technology, and resisting the forces of Apokolips was not a downside either. “What else have you heard?”

“Not much... they did say the pony was very powerful.” That was all that Maxima needed to hear. A pony with great power, from a race with a glorious history. Maxima would find this pony and claim them as her own. With a smile, she moved to the center of her throne room, pulling out a small teleport bracelet as she did so.

“I am going to Equestria to claim this pony.” she said, keying in the coordinates.

“But what about the food shortages?”

“I can’t be bothered by such things right now.” Maxima finished preparing for transit and pressed the button on the bracelet. There was a minute pause before she was surrounded by glowing light, her body dissolving to nothing as she was teleported to Equestria.

................

Rainbow Dash did not get a lot of sleep. She kept tossing and turning but she could never find a comfortable position, and by the time she managed to get to sleep it was nearly morning. With a groan she opened her eyes, glaring up at the ceiling as if she was trying to burn a hole through it.

Well... this day’s off to a great start, she thought before yawning and forcing herself out of bed. She blinked a few times before yawning, shuffling over to the bathroom to get ready for the day. Her mind drifted to her upcoming date with Thunderlane; her luck with getting time to herself was rather abysmal now that she was a superhero, but despite her worries she had a good feeling that today was going to go well. She smiled and stepped into the bathroom, reaching for a towel before freezing, her eyes fixed on her mirror.

Staring back at her was a colt. He was about the same size as Rainbow Dash... in fact, he looked almost exactly like Rainbow, blue fur and multicolored mane and all. Rainbow blinked, and to her surprise the colt blinked at the same time she did.

“Okay... this can’t be as bad as it seems.” she said before gasping and placing a hoof to her throat. Her voice had dropped several octaves, and was less raspy than she was used to. “W-what’s wrong with my voice?”

The realization came rather quickly. The reflection, her voice, the fact that nothing about her felt right at the moment. Somehow, Rainbow Dash had been turned into a colt.

Once she realized this, she began to scream.

.................

“So, I should be fine, won’t I?” Rainbow glared at Twilight, trying to bite back as much of her, or his, rage as she could. “Can you explain to me why I’m a guy?”

“I-I had no idea that this would happen.” Twilight stammered, taking a few steps back.

“And you decided to expose it to me anyway?! Did you want me to turn into a guy as part of some weird fetish thingy?!”

“I’d never do that!... Look Rainbow, I know you’re upset, but I really didn’t mean to have this happen to you. I-I’m sorry.” Rainbow’s glare intensified, but he found he could not hate Twilight. Yes, the unicorn had turned Rainbow into a colt, but Twilight did not show any signs of being malicious about it. With a sigh, Rainbow lowered his head and turned away.

“Okay. I’m sorry I yelled at you.” his panic quickly reasserted itself and he grabbed Twilight. “But what am I going to do? I can’t spend the rest of my life as a guy!”

“Rainbow, I’m sure it’s really not that bad-”

“Really? I distinctly remember being called Supermare, not Supercolt! Nopony’s going to think I’m the real deal if they see a colt! And what about Thunderlane? If he finds out I’m a guy now, he’ll dump me and look for somepony else!”

“If he really loves you, I don’t think-”

“And what about me? If he does dump me does that mean I’ve got to start dating... mares?

“Rainbow, I think you’re over exaggerating this a bit.”

“Am I? What if somepony like Colgate or Rose starts getting attracted to me. What if I start getting attracted to them? I don’t want to be gay!”

“Rainbow, you’re a colt now; you wouldn’t be considered ‘gay’ if you dated mares.”

“No, my body’s a colt now; my brain is still Rainbow Dash! And it’s not just the dating; what if everypony sees me and starts making fun of me? ‘Hey Rainbow, did you finally decide to get in touch with your masculine side?’ ‘How much was the operation?’ ‘Can you write your name in the snow?” Rainbow pulled Twilight closer to him. “I DON’T WANT TO BE A COLT ANYMORE!”

“I was beginning to realize that.” Twilight said, finally freeing herself from Rainbow’s clutches. “Rainbow, you really need to calm down. I’ll look for a spell to turn you back into a mare, and then you won’t have to worry about anything anymore.”

“Okay... But what am I supposed to do until then? I’m meeting Thunderlane in two hours for lunch, and if he sees me like this-”

“Why don’t you go and explain what happened?” Rainbow looked at Twilight for a minute, trying to gauge if his friend was joking. When he got nothing, he sighed.

“I guess I could do that... But I think it’s best if I put my costume on.”

“Why?”

“I’ll get less awkward questions as to why Supermare got turned into a colt then why Rainbow Dash got turned into a colt. You just fix the problem and turn me back into a mare, I’ll handle everything else.”

“Well, okay.” Twilight pulled a few books off the shelf and began to thumb through them. “Come back tomorrow and I think I’ll have a spell ready.”

“If this spell turns me into a mule or gets me pregnant, I’m going to kill you.” Rainbow exited the library and headed for home, flying as fast as he could so nopony would be able to see his changed form. As he flew, he thought of just what to tell Thunderlane and what to do afterwards. Maybe we’ll just have to stop seeing each other until this is over...

...............

Maxima stepped into the town, surveying the buildings and the ponies. It was a small peasant community, complete with shops and farmers. It was hardly a place to find somepony as powerful as a Kryptonian, but it would be a start.

“You there!” she said, approaching the nearest pony, a slightly chubby blue mare with a red and pink mane. “I am searching for a Kryptonian. Have you seen them?”

“Uh...” the mare shuffled her hooves, backing away slightly from Maxima. “I don’t think so...”

“Do you know somepony that would know where the Kryptonian is. And hurry up, peasant, I would like to leave as soon as I can.” The other pony flinched slightly, and Maxima saw that she was not getting anywhere. Frustration rising, she moved on to the next pony, a wall-eyed Pegasus accompanied by a young unicorn. “Would you know where the Kryptonian is?”

“Cryptozoo what now?” the Pegasus asked, Maxima biting her lip to avoid shouting at the other pony.

“You are trying my patience, peasant.” she growled. “Where is the Kryptonian?”

“Are you looking for me?” a voice said from behind her. Maxima turned and saw a beige Pegasus colt dressed in a red cape and blue suit, a shield symbol set on his chest. That voice, and those muscles... I do believe I have found a match.

“I am Maxima, Queen of Almerac.” She prepared herself for whatever attack the colt might have for her. “I have come to challenge you.”

“Why?” the colt asked. “What have I ever done to harm you?” Oh, he’s playing hard to get... that is so adorable!

“Do not ask such questions. Face me, or would you rather I call you a coward?”

“Look, I’m dealing with a lot of issues right now, and I don’t want to fight you and make things worse. So if you would just go back to Almanac or wherever it is that you’re from, everything will be fine.”

“If you will not initiate the fight,” Maxima smirked. “Then I shall do the honors.” Maxima rushed forward, catching the colt with a punch to the jaw. The colt flew through the air and banged against a wall, shaking his head to remove any dizziness. Maxima rushed forward to deliver a second strike, but the colt spun around and bucked her in the face, sending her flying through their air.

Now this... this is a fight! Maxima righted herself just as the colt dove down on her, She dodged the first strike and managed to deflect the second, throwing the colt to the ground with a grapple. The colt broke from her grasp and swept her legs out from under her, and before she hit the ground he grabbed her by her forelegs and smacked her around like a ragdoll. Once she was free, Maxima tackled the colt and delivered three punches to his face, hoping to beat him into submission. But the colt barely seemed fazed by the attack, and responded by throwing her up in the air once more, only this time angled away from the town.

Maxima landed with a crash, the wind being driven from her lungs. Inwardly, she was smiling; she had found a pony who was strong enough to fight her on even terms, maybe even stronger. All she had to do was inform him of her reward and they would be together. She got to her hooves just as the colt came towards her, and as he neared Maxima jumped up and tackled him out of the air.

As the two tumbled through the air, they continued to trade blows. Maxima put her opponent in a headlock, slamming her hoof into his face repeatedly. The colt would have none of that, and broke free before giving her a solid punch to the face. As Maxima reeled, the colt flew up and kicked her in the back, driving her into the ground.

“Had enough?” the colt asked, landing in front of Maxima.

“Almost.” she said, standing up and approaching the colt. “You have proven that you possess great strength and combat skill, something that I admire in a mate.” at this, the colt took a step back.

“W-what?”

“I came here to challenge you to see if you would be my mate. As you are clearly incredibly strong, very handsome and highly skilled, I can think of no other pony to have as a mate.”

“B-but I’m not a colt. I’m a mare.” Maxima was confused, but did not allow that to show.

“You don’t look like a mare to me.”

“I can explain.”

“Oh, I’m sure it’ll make for a wonderful story on our wedding night.”

“What?!”

“Maybe you could even tell it to our foals someday!”

“No! I don’t want to have foals!” the colt cried, taking off to get out of Maxima’s reach. “I’m not a colt and I’m not marrying you!”

“Oh, but who wouldn’t want to find love in the arms of the most powerful mare on Almerac?”

“Me!” with that the colt flew off, a small mach cone forming around him. Again with playing hard to get. That makes him even more desirable.

“Wait, my love!” Maxima called, sprinting after the colt. “I must take you back to my palace for our wedding!”

...................

Thunderlane made his way towards Ponyville, quietly humming to himself. It was a nice day off, and he was happy that he would be spending it with Rainbow Dash unless she needed to go and save the world again. If that happened... well, there was always next week.

As he neared Ponyville, he was almost bowled over by a red and blue streak. Once he got his bearings again he saw Rainbow Dash holding on to him, worry painted across her... his face.

“Thunderlane!” he cried. “Thank Celestia I found you.”

“Rainbow?... Why are you a colt?”

“That’d take too long to explain. Look, I need your help; there’s this crazy mare chasing after me and she wants me to be her husband or something.”

“Uh... are you really accepting the whole ‘guy’ thing that quick-”

“NO! I’M A GIRL!” Rainbow stopped, placing a hoof to his throat. “Hey, my voice is back to normal... My voice is back to normal! I’m not a guy anymore!”

“You still look like one.” this drew a glare from Rainbow.

“I realize that, but that means that the whole ‘guy’ thing is wearing off. I’ll be a girl in no time.”

“My love!” another voice cried. Thunderlane looked and saw a tall, light green Earth Pony with a red mane racing towards them. “You cannot run from me so easily! I...” she stopped, sizing up Thunderlane before looking to Rainbow Dash. “My love, who is this colt you are consorting with?”

“Uh, my name’s Thunderlane, and-”

“And he’s my special somepony.” Rainbow snapped. “Go get your own.” there was a pause as the mare looked between the two of them.

“Well... I suppose you could bring him along with us. I’m not adverse to sharing.”

“WHAT?!”

“Uh, as the only unaffiliated party here,” Thunderlane said, raising a hoof. “Could you explain what’s going on?”

“I am Maxima, Queen of Almerac. I challenged this colt here to combat, and since I found him to be perfect I decided to take him as my mate.”

“Your... mate?”

“Indeed.”

“You do realize that he’s... really a mare?” there was a pause as Maxima thought this over.

“Well, I suppose his voice is a bit mare-ish.” she mused. “But it doesn’t matter. Our love shall be a testament to all, and our union will produce the strongest heirs the galaxy has ever seen.” Thunderlane could hear Rainbow gagging behind him, but ignored her for now.

“Why would she... he, whatever, want to marry you?”

“He is strong enough to best me in combat. Is that not good enough?”

“No, it’s not.” Thunderlane landed and approached Maxima. “Just because somepony’s strong enough to fight you doesn’t mean they’ll love you? What about knowing their likes and dislikes? Building memories?”

“That will happen after our wedding.”

“If he doesn’t decide to leave you at the first opening.” Maxima glared at Thunderlane as he continued. “You need to show some respect to those that you love, otherwise you’re only going to drive them away and make them hate you.”

“And what would you know about love, peasant?!” Maxima shouted, stepping towards Thunderlane to try and intimidate him. “I respect this colt; he is the strongest one I have ever met-”

“But if you respected him, you’d let him decide what he wanted to do with his life instead of forcing him to marry you.” Thunderlane returned Maxima’s glare. “You may love him, but he’ll never love you if you don’t respect him.” there was a long pause.

“... Fine.” Maxima sighed. “I see that you’ll need some time to think this over, and just beating some sense into you is not working. I shall return in a week to receive your answer, and then we shall know a lover’s embrace.” She reached for a bracelet on her left foreleg, pressing a button before disappearing in a flash of light.

“‘Lover’s embrace’?” Rainbow landed next to Thunderlane and gagged. “Gah, she sounds just like Rarity... except, rude.”

“And your manners are obviously impeccable.” Thunderlane muttered, receiving a playful swat from Rainbow.

“So... I guess we can’t really go out while I’m still a colt, can we?”

“I guess not.” there was a pause.

“Maybe... You could come back to my place for a bit?” she asked. “We could order take out or something.”

“That sounds okay, but... You’re still a colt. Won’t ponies get... ideas?”

“Hey, it’s wearing off.” Rainbow smirked. “Besides, don’t you want to be there when I really turn back into a mare?” Thunderlane blinked, a small bead of sweat rolling down his temple.

Must not get turned on by a colt, must not get turned on by a colt, must not get turned on by a colt...

Stupid sexy colt Rainbow Dash.

.............

Maxima was seated on her throne, again. She stared out into space, not really focusing on anything in particular. The conversation with that colt played over and over again in her mind, and she found herself growing frustrated.

Who does that colt think he is that he can order me around? I’ll show him; I will respect the one week limit, but once my love realizes his passion for me, I shall take my vengeance out on that... that interloper. She was about to formulate a plan when there was a crash. She looked up as a heavily armed, white furred minotaur flew through the ceiling on a skull covered motorcycle, coming to a stop in the center of the room.

“Alright toots!” the minotaur said, dismounting and pulling a large chain and shotgun off the bike. “Th’ name’s Lobo. I’m lookin’ fer this geek named Suza, got a big price on his head and I aim ta collect. Now, if’n ya want ta keep yer face, I suggest tellin’ me where he is... or don’t, it makes things more fun that way.” Maxima regarded the bounty hunter for a moment. He was loud, brutish, and smelled funny, but he was positively massive, muscles rippling down his body.

... Why did I ever go to Equestria in the first place? This one is perfect!

Author's Note:

If you read all of guy!Supermare's lines in Superman's voice (the DCAU version), you win. Use whatever voice you want for guy!Rainbow Dash
What didn't make it into this chapter; Twilight tinkering around with Pink Kryptonite (special thanks to Alticron for coming up with the idea of her using Red Kryptonite).
If I insulted anyone with some of the topics presented here, I'm sorry. I did not mean to insult anyone
I don't own ponies or Superman. Like and comments are appreciated, and if I screwed something up please let me know.