• Published 20th Feb 2024
  • 426 Views, 90 Comments

Marking the Generations – Part Two - Glimbursts



A reimagining of the later stages of the Make your Mark series. In this second part, Peach Fizz and Glory suddenly go missing, their disappearance being strangely connected to Misty’s dreams. Can our heroes unravel the mystery in time to save them?

  • ...
2
 90
 426

Chapter Three – Magical Mishaps

It was clear the balcony at the top of the Brighthouse had become Sunny’s preferred place to think. She sighed as she watched the sun slowly sink beyond the horizon, it was beautiful. The sky lit up in red and yellow hews, the reflections of those colours in the sea. Even how the windows of the buildings in Maretime Bay reflected the colours as well.

She thought back to her confrontation with Phyllis and how angry she’d gotten. She couldn’t work out why her alicorn powers activated. She hadn’t called on them and she’d hardly been her truest self.

Her powers just hadn’t been working as she expected recently. The more she thought about it, the more she remembered occasions they hadn’t activated when she wanted them. Activating them to fight Opaline had been a struggle, not only when she’d been trapped under the bubble. Not so long ago it had been so simple, now though the more she thought about it the more confused she felt.

She sighed again before resting her head on the rail of the balcony and watched the sun slowly sink below the horizon.


Sunny beamed as she skated her way through the streets of Maretime Bay. Other ponies waved and smiled back as she passed them. A song was playing from seemingly everywhere around her.

I've heard it enough
I'm callin' their bluff
I'll never get lost in the grey
Go big or go home
Get real or get known
Get ready and raring to say.

She skated around the bandstand and stopped to look out to sea as the song continued.

Gonna be, gonna be, gonna be my day (be my day)
Gonna be, gonna be, gonna be my day (oh-oh-oh-oh)

Sunny beamed with happiness as she looked over towards the Brighthouse. Only to gasp when she realised it wasn’t there. The song faded as she felt her mouth going dry. Instead of the Brighthouse, the familiar Lighthouse she’d shared with her father stood looking over the bay. Eyes wide with a mixture of shock and curiosity, she began skating towards it as fast as she could.

It didn’t take long for Sunny to reach the Lighthouse, the wheels of her skates squealing in protest as she slid to a stop. Eyes wide with astonishment and panting from the exertion she studied the Lighthouse carefully. From the outside, it certainly looked like the one she remembered. Gulping, she reached a skate-clad hoof out to the door and tentatively opened it.

Sunny felt the air escape from her lungs as she entered the Lighthouse, it was just as she remembered it. However, as she looked, she realized that there were details that were different to the last time she’d seen it. To her left was the same photo of herself and her dad but on the coat hooks on the wall beyond were two raincoats, one brown, one purple.

She skated further inside, eyes wide, mouth agape as she took everything in. The more she looked, the more she realised this wasn’t the Lighthouse Sprout had destroyed. Suddenly, she heard a familiar voice that made her heart skip a beat. “Sunny, what have we said about skating inside?”

Sunny froze as the lift activated and Argile descended. His face had a stern look until he met Sunny’s gaze, tears welling in her eyes. The lift had barely stopped, and Sunny shot forward, her hoofs wrapping around her father. She pulled him into a loving embrace as tears streamed down her face.

“D…Dad?” Sunny croaked.

“Hey, hey,” Argile soothed. “What’s wrong Sunny Bunny?”

“I…I can’t believe…” Sunny sniffed. “This, this isn’t real. Is it?”

“It’s as real as you want it to be,” Argile replied softly. “I’m so proud of you.”

“You…You are? But I…” Sunny gasped. “I don’t understand what happened to you.”

“That’s something I can’t explain right now,” Argile sighed.

Gulping, Sunny finally left her father’s embrace and sat down, removing her skates from her forehoofs. Wiping the tears from her eyes she looked at her father with sorrow.

“Hey now,” Argile smiled as he placed a hoof on Sunny’s cheek. “You did it, Sunny Bunny. You reunited all of Ponykind, just as I knew you would.”

“You did?” Sunny blinked.

Argile nodded. “I knew you’d be the one to bring everypony back together. To bring friendship and unity to Equestria.”

“So, what do I do now?” Sunny sighed.

“Be the pony you have always been and never lose hope,” Argile smiled. “Be somepony everypony else can look up to.”

“I’m no alicorn,” Sunny frowned. “I’m no Twilight Sparkle.”

“No, you’re Sunny Starscout, just be you,” Argile smiled. “Never lose hope, Sunny. Look to your friends and look to the trees, they’ll help you.”


Sunny gasped as a loud bang suddenly shook her from her slumber. Groaning, she pushed the covers off herself and sat up. She was in her bed, but she couldn’t remember going to bed the previous night. She looked around to see the other beds were empty and sunlight was streaming in through the windows of the Brighthouse.

“It was a dream,” she breathed as tears welled in her eyes.

She sat and let the feelings of sorrow subside as she’d done many times previously. Suddenly, there was another bang which shook the Brighthouse, followed by shouting. Groaning, Sunny got up and started heading downstairs, paying no attention to the tangled mess her mane was in.

Finding the living space empty, Sunny followed the sounds of voices coming from outside and gasped at the scene before her.

One of the couches had been brought outside and placed to the side of the path. Sat on this was a much better-looking Starlight, there were still bandages wrapped around her barrel but it was clear she was well on the mend.

At right angles to the couch, there was a fold-up table, both Izzy and Misty were working away on this. Chopping various roots, vegetables, and flowers.

In front of both the couch and table, there was an open fire pit. A large pot was positioned directly above this with a bubbling translucent liquid within it. Beyond that, sat on the grass, was Sunset. A book was positioned in her lap, a scowl on her face as she studied it intently.

“Will you just let me read the book?” Starlight grumbled. “How can I help if I don’t know what the incantations are?”

“I’ve told you,” Sunset glared. “Spoilers!”

“And I’ve told you, it’s just a spell book,” Starlight responded robustly. “It’s not like it’s a journal of secrets. I’m not going to remember every spell that’s in there.”

“I know your memory when it comes to spells,” Sunset replied curtly. “You’ll remember it.”

“Which will only mean I’ll remember to include it in the book,” Starlight replied crossly. “It’s no different to if I’d found it in the library back home. Which I’ll need to do if I’m to include it in the book!”

Sunny blinked with confusion before she finally spotted Zipp who was sitting nearby shaking her head in dismay.

“What’s going on?” Sunny asked as she approached.

“Ah, glad to see you up Sunny,” Zipp smiled. “Oh, this? We’re trying to set up a monitoring spell but it’s not going quite as well as hoped. Starlight is trying to help but Sunset won’t let her read the book.”

“Why?” Sunny frowned.

“Because she’s not written it yet!” Sunset roared.

All eyes fell on Sunset, an infuriated expression on her face as she looked straight at Sunny. Sunny meanwhile looked back with an expression of shock and hurt, one of her legs moving as though she was about to bolt for the Brighthouse.

Sunset’s eyes widened in shock and realisation. “I…I can’t handle this,” she said before suddenly teleporting away with a flash. The book falling to the ground with a thud.

Sunny gasped looking to the others with confusion. “W…what did I say?”

“You said nothing,” Starlight sighed. “She’s frustrated with herself for not being able to cast the spell correctly.”

“Is that what those booms were?” Sunny asked.

“Yep,” Zipp replied. “Each time Sunset tried to cast the spell it kind of, well, blew up.”

“Great big waterspouts kind of blow up,” Izzy replied holding her hoofs wide for emphasis.

Starlight levitated the book to her hoofs and opened it, she read the spell and sighed. “And I’ve already worked out why she was struggling,” Starlight replied. “This spell is old, like really, really old. Part of the incantation is even in old Ponish. It’s no wonder she was struggling, it’ll take me a few goes to even work out what this is saying. I doubt she’s even looked at old Ponish for ages, let alone tried to read it.”

“So, you’re casting a spell,” Sunny frowned. “Why does that need plants and pots?”

“We’re making a looking glass,” Starlight explained. “We first put the required ingredients together then cast the first part of the spell on the mixture. After that, we cover two mirrors with the mixture before casting the second part. After that, whatever is reflected in one mirror will appear on the other.”

“Woah,” Sunny breathed. “Okay, that is quite clever.”

“I know right,” Izzy beamed. “I’ve got the perfect disguise for the smaller mirror too. Took me most of the morning to make it.”

Izzy held up a bird’s nest which had a small fake bird sitting on top, a small compact mirror set into the bird’s chest. As the wind caught the bird, its little fake wings fluttered. It was clear that from a distance it would look quite effective.

“Pipp and Hitch went to buy a large mirror to use,” Misty added. “In the meantime, we were trying to get the mixture ready.”

“I also know an alarm spell we can add to it,” Starlight explained. “Then, not only will we be able to see Opaline’s castle and watch what’s happening. We’ll know when to watch it too.”

“Sounds brilliant,” Sunny replied with a sigh.

“Doesn’t sound brilliant,” Izzy frowned. “You okay Sunny?”

“I’m fine Izzy,” Sunny replied flatly. “I’m just going to go sort this mane disaster out and get some breakfast. I’m glad to see you’re looking much better Starlight.”

With that, Sunny turned and headed inside, much to the disappointment of the others.


Meanwhile, Sunset had to admit that teleporting away in a huff hadn’t been one of the best choices she’d ever made. She’d wanted somewhere to vent where she wouldn’t upset anypony. However, she didn’t know that many places within this new Equestria. Therefore, the spell couldn’t take her to exactly where she’d thought of and had dumped her out in the nearest place that did.

She groaned as she realised her mistake and took stock of her current situation. She had no idea where she was, just that she was surrounded by trees and woodland plants. Certainly, it was somewhere quiet and secluded. However not knowing where she was wasn’t her main problem. The fact she was stuck up to her knees in mud and currently couldn’t move was.

“Perfect, just perfect. Way to go Sunset,” she commented crossly as she looked around. “At least there aren’t Timberwolves in Equestria now. I think…”

Frowning, she tried pulling one of her hoofs free. However, she gasped as she felt herself sink further into the mire. She took a series of deep breaths, her heart still pounding from the previous angry exchange and knowing that struggling wasn’t the way out.

“I doubt this will be a portal to the human world,” she sighed. “I wonder what it’s like there now, it was already further ahead in technology. It could be even more advanced now Equestria has caught up.”

Suddenly, she felt herself sinking further into the mire again. She shook her head in an attempt to knock the stray thoughts from her mind.

“Focus Sunset,” she told herself. “I need to get out of this mess and I’m not trying another teleport, I don’t know what ground is hard around here.”

She looked around and spotted some vines dangling from a tree branch above her. She smiled as she unwound them with her levitation magic before making sure it was tied off securely. Then, she dropped the end down to herself and grabbed it with her mouth.

She pulled hard on the vine, grunting and groaning with effort. Carefully, she wiggled her forelegs and slowly felt the hold on them loosen. It took a lot of effort, but she felt elated as her forehoofs finally came free with a squelch.

She wanted to cheer with joy but knew that letting go of the vine was the last thing she wanted to do. She could already feel her hind legs had sunk deeper into the mud up to her tail. Knowing she’d need more effort to pull them free, she lifted her forelegs to grasp the vine with her hoofs.

Which was when all of Sunset’s hard work was immediately undone as the vine suddenly snapped. She fell back into the mire, her hind legs sinking deeper and her barrel following right up to the shoulders of her forelegs. She was now well and truly stuck.

“Grrrraahh,” Sunset exclaimed.

Taking deep breaths, she just about kept herself from struggling violently in anger. She knew that getting angry again would only make things worse. She closed her eyes and panted, suddenly she felt quite drained of energy. “Now I know how Rainbow felt.”


“Maybe you would like some help?” a voice said suddenly.

Sunset gasped as a Zebra came into view, unhitching themselves from the cart they were pulling.

“Yes, yes please,” Sunset replied hopefully.

“One moment please,” the Zebra smiled.

They went around to the side of the cart and removed a length of rope before tying a noose into the end. Sunset could only wait with anticipation as she felt herself sinking again.

“Hold your hoofs up,” the Zebra instructed as they swung the newly made lasso.

Sunset did as instructed, and the Zebra whipped the lasso around with perfect precision. They got it over Sunset’s head and legs in one go, the rope pulling taught. Sunset grabbed the rope with her hoofs as best she could.

“Okay, hold on,” the Zebra grunted as they started pulling.

Slowly but surely, Sunset began to move through the bog. It took a lot of effort and Sunset did what she could to help. However, eventually, she was pulled free.

“Thank you,” Sunset panted as she lay on solid ground at last. “Thank you so much.”

“It is no problem,” the Zebra smiled. “Always happy to help somepony in need. I am Kendi.”

“Sunset, Sunset Shimmer,” Sunset smiled as she got to her hoofs, noting how she was still covered in mud.

“It is nice to meet you Sunset Shimmer,” Kendi grinned. “One question, how did you get into such a predicament, I saw no hoof prints leading into the mire. We are quite far from the usual trails too. You were lucky I took the scenic route and heard you.”

“Oh, that would be a teleport accident,” Sunset replied sheepishly.

“Teleport?” Kendi frowned. “I heard magic had returned, but surely such a feat is not possible?”

“Let me show you,” Sunset replied.

Sunset picked up the rope in her magic. She wound it up neatly before teleporting it back to its position on the wagon, much to Kendi’s surprise.

“I didn’t want to try teleporting out of that mess,” Sunset explained. “Not after it got me into it in the first place.”

“Quite impressive,” Kendi replied in awe. “So, if getting here was an accident. Do you know where you are?”

“Not the foggiest,” Sunset sighed. “You wouldn’t happen to know how to get to Maretime Bay?”

“I do. In fact, I am on my way there now,” Kendi replied. “Wouldn’t you want to get back to Bridlewood though?”

“Not really,” Sunset smiled, placing a hoof behind her head. “I have friends I’m staying with in Maretime Bay.”

“As do I and that is the reason for my trip there,” Kendi beamed. “I am hoping to reunite with the daughter of a dear departed friend of mine. I am an Archaeologist and I’ve been on a long journey searching for treasures of Equestria’s lost past.”

“R…really,” Sunset replied awkwardly. “You wouldn’t happen to mind if I tagged along?”

“I don’t mind at all, follow me” Kendi grinned as she reattached to her cart. “It is not far and I know my friend would be ecstatic to meet you. Sunny has long dreamt of the reunification of all pony kind, and I am looking forwards to seeing her now it has happened.”

“Sunny? As in Sunny Starscout?” Sunset asked as they started walking.

“Why yes, have you met her already?” Kendi asked.

“I have,” Sunset smiled. “Kendi, you have a lot to catch up on.”