• Published 5th Aug 2023
  • 1,986 Views, 75 Comments

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Drink Kool-Aid - MacArthurite



For many, winding up in a town full of cartoon humanoids, along with getting roped into a cult, would be the most terrifying day of their lives. For me? It ended up being just another Tuesday.

  • ...
4
 75
 1,986

The Horror in Pink

...Are you sure she can't get in here? I know what you said earlier, but that girl defies the constraints of logic.

...

You're absolutely sure?

...

Okay, I'll trust you. Just know that if you're wrong about this, I'm using you as a meat shield.


When Mom came to pick me up, it was obvious she was not pleased that I'd gotten myself thrown in detention. Vice-Principal Luna thankfully took the time to tell her about the situation, and that I'd been sent to detention on a fluke. On the bright side, this extinguished her anger towards me. On the downside, it alerted her that I'd had two mental breaks in as many days. Mom started peppering Luna with questions, but the Vice-Principal put an end to it by calmly explaining that she would be having a meeting with me the next day to address my issues, and that she would make sure my school-life would be as drama-free as possible. Mom thanked Luna (and the girls after she heard that they'd looked out for me) profusely before driving me home.

Even though we only lived about 15 minutes away, the drive home felt like an hour long. I love my Mom, but I didn't love being badgered about whether I'm alright and if I need to see a shrink.

If that wasn't enough, Jill gave me her "I told you so" look as soon as I walked through the front door, and took the chance to claim that she was right about Starlight and Lyra being a bad influence on me. I countered by saying that they'd been the ones to make sure I was okay, and that the only reason I'd freaked out was because of the musical number.

Mom and Jill furrowed their brows, and Dad gave me an odd look.

"What's so scary about a musical number?" Jill asked. "I was in the lunchroom too, and there was nothing freaky about it that I noticed. Have you never—hey, are you okay?"

I shouldn't have been surprised that my family didn't see anything wrong with musical numbers; after all, they didn't see anything wrong with being surrounded by cartoon characters. I was still pretty shaken by the revelation.

Mom stepped forward and took my hands, "Don't cry honey. Everything is going to be okay."

I wasn't crying. My eyes might have watered a bit, but that's only because I got some dust in my eyes. Honest!

"Remember what your father said yesterday, Jill," said Mom. "Besides, your brother was right. Those two girls chased after him and made sure he was okay. Would a bad influence act like that?"

There was no response. After wiping the dust-generated perspiration from my eyes, I recomposed myself and looked around. Jill was looking down at her feet and fidgeting with her skirt, while Dad gave me a reassuring smile when I met his gaze.

"A man's first musical number can be a bit jarring, I know. Don't worry, you get used to it eventually."

Right there. The conversation, could've ended right there, and the day would have ended on a positive note. Unfortunately, I have good parents, and one of the downsides of having good parents is that they become worried when something bad happens to you. So instead of ending the conversation there and going on to bed, I spent the next couple hours being lovingly grilled about my mental/emotional state, whether I was still torn up about leaving our old home behind, and asked repeatedly whether or not I needed a hug. By the time I managed to wave their worries away, I was emotionally exhausted, and since the dread of having to go back to school made going to sleep at a decent hour almost impossible, I was also physically exhausted by the time morning rolled around.

It was going to be another one of those days again, the third one in a row.

Breakfast was awkward. Mom continued to ask how I was feeling, Dad saw my discomfort and tried to change the subject, and Jill avoided eye contact the whole time. Needless to say, I rushed to finish my meal as soon as possible, then bolted out the door.

I managed to avoid taking the bus by hitching a ride with Lyra and Starlight (something that would become routine as the semester went on), but that didn't stop the expected stares, whispers, and pointing from the other students once we got to school.

"Chin up, eyes forward, shoulders back, face blank," I silently repeated my mantra for these kinds of situations. In my peripheral vision, I saw the girls close ranks to either side of me. Lyra did her best to shrink into my shadow, while Starlight shot challenging glares at some of the bystanders.

"Today is going to suck, isn't it?" I grumbled, opening my locker and stuffing some of its contents into my backpack.

"I'm sure it'll be fine," said Lyra. Then she stopped, seemed to reconsider her words, and slumped. "Okay yeah, it probably is going to suck."

"Bah, it's nothing you and I aren't used to. And Jack, well, you aren't, but that just makes this an opportunity to break you in." She nudged my ribs, "After all, HEH members need thick skin if they're going to stand up to the insidious powers that be."

I wanted to smile, but I couldn't muster the energy for it. Starlight could tell, so she tried a different angle.

"Don't worry, you get used to it. Besides, as long as we ignore the proles and avoid people like Shimmer, I'm sure we can get through the day without drawing too much attention to ourselves. Even if anything does happen, the two of us have your back."

I did manage to smile this time, "Thanks, Starlight." I shoved the last of my books into my backpack and continued, "I shouldn't be too worried anyway. I mean, what are the chances I encounter something scarier than what I've already experienced?"

I shut my locker and turned to go to class, only to come face to face with blue eyes, a wide smile, and lots of pink.

"Hi there, Jack! I'm Pinkie Pie, and it's super-duper great to meet you! I'm the founder, leader, and only member of the New Student Welcoming Club! It's my job to track down aaaaaaall the new students and make sure that they feel welcome at Canterlot High! I'd prefer to throw parties for everybody, but Vice-Principal Luna said that that'd be 'an excessive drain on school time and resources', so I settle for introducing myself and giving a custom-made sweet treat to all the newbies! I'm actually surprised we haven't met until now, because my Pinkie Sense will usually lead me to any new students, but I didn't learn about you until Limestone (that's my biggest sister) told me that White Quartz told her that Ly-Ly and Glim-Glam had a new friend. Then I learned from Maud (that's my second biggest sister) who learned from Trixie that your name was Jack, and I told her how weird it was that I didn't know that since I already met your sister and gave her a Welcome-to-Canterlot Red Velvet Delight™, and you'd think my Pinkie Sense would tell me that she had a brother, but that's not important now. What is important is that I've finally found you, and now I can give you a Wondercolt welcome!" She reached into her excessively curly hair and pulled out a notebook and a pack of colored pencils. "How would you describe the bestest possible cupcake? What flavor? What kind of icing? How many sprinkles?! Tellmetellmetellme!"

Now, I know you've heard a lot about me being scared in this story so far. I'm sure that the novelty of my fear has started wearing off, and that you might even be annoyed that I'm bringing it up again. I get it, and don't worry, because there'll be much less of it once I get to what went down at the Fall Formal, but I can't emphasize enough how visceral the terror I felt in that moment was. Remember how I said that my first musical number was the third scariest moment of my life, and that it was scary enough to make me run away screaming until I passed out? That was nothing.

Looking at Pinkie was about what I imagine looking at Cthulhu would be like. My heart pounded, my body faintly trembled, and my mind threatened to unravel. I had seen the face of evil. I had met madness made flesh. I stared into the abyss, and the abyss smiled back.

I was pulled back from the brink by two hands on my shoulders. Starlight and Lyra had noticed that I was spiraling again, and not wanting to make the same mistake twice, intervened.

"Heeeyy. How are you doing, Pinkie?" asked Lyra.

"I'm doing fantabulous! Thanks for asking!" said Pinkie.

"Of course. By the way, you don't need to worry about making a cupcake for Jack. He won't mind, and I'm sure you have lots more important things to be doing."

Pinkie tilted her head, "What could be more important than making cupcakes for a new friend?"

A barely audible whimper clawed its way out of my throat.

"I-I'm not saying it isn't important," said Lyra. "It's just that, uh..."

"He doesn't like cupcakes!" Starlight yelled.

Lyra latched onto the lie, "Yeah! What Star said!"

Pinkie's pupils shrank to pinpricks, and she gasped for ten seconds straight.

"What?! How could anybody not like cupcakes?!" She clutched her head and arched her back, "What are you saying, Pinkie? Of course there are people who don't like cupcakes! Both Roseluck and Photo Finish can't stand sweets, that's why you got them sour candies!"

She then blurred forward, and stopped with her face mere inches away from mine. She smelled like a mixture of cake batter and distilled chaos.

"You may not like cupcakes, but I will make you something! With God as my witness, I'll make you the tastiest treat you've ever tasted!"

Then, with only a cloud of dust left in her wake, she was gone.

I'm proud to say that I did not have a hysterical mental breakdown in the middle of the hall! I did, however, have to be walked to my classroom by the girls. I think some of the jocks in the hallway laughed at me for that, but the joke's on them, because I was the one with a pretty girl on each arm.

I spent the entirety of Mrs. Harshwhinny's class, and most of Ms. Peachbottom's class, trying to pick up the pieces of my shattered psyche. The girls looked worried whenever they caught my gaze, but I think the teachers were just happy that I was being quiet for a change.


When lunchtime came, I was more focused on constantly checking my surroundings than eating my food.

"Don't worry, Jack. I know Pinkie is a little...Pinkie, but she's harmless. Well, as long as you don't break a Pinkie Promise, but you didn't do that," Lyra reassured.

"Harmless?!" I responded incredulously. "Something is wrong about that girl! All the other stuff scared me because no one else noticed how weird it was, but her presence itself was somehow enough to set off every alarm bell in my brain! She's unnatural!"

Starlight shrugged, "I don't know what to tell you, Jack. It's Pinkie Pie; don't question it. But if you're worried that she'll show up, this isn't her lunch period. She's in class right now, so you can relax."

She wasn't coming. I took a deep breath and allowed myself to relax.

"Sorry for being so jumpy," I said.

Lyra smiled, "Don't worry. Been there, done that."

"Thanks. I know I look ridiculous." I took a bite out of my sandwich before continuing, "She looks like any other student, and it's not like she did anything to me. I had no reason to react the way I did, but I can't ignore my instincts when they scream at me that loudly. I know I'm repeating myself, but I just wish I knew why I find her unnerving."

"Probably because of our diametrically opposed, yet remarkably similar natures. At least, that's what the story-planning document says," opined an all too familiar voice.

My head snapped to the left. Pinkie Pie sat next to me, a smile on her face and a bowl and spoon in her hands.

"Hi again, Jack! I put a lot of thought into what I'd make for you. I initially had you pegged as a fruitcake guy, but my gut told me that I was off the mark. Then I thought about making you a candied apple or chocolate-covered strawberries, but even though I was getting warmer, I still felt like it didn't suit you. Then I was on my way to ask Marble (that's my little sister) what she thought, and I saw your sister in the hall. Then I smacked my head," she smacked her head for emphasis, "and thought, 'duh, why don't I just ask Jill what you like?' So I explained that I was making you a treat, and she told me that you really like banana pudding, and I jumped for joy because banana pudding fits you so well!" She set the bowl down on the table in front of me, revealing a batch of hand-made banana pudding. "Then she asked me to try and befriend you, and I was even more happy, because I love love love making new friends! After I finished making it, I came to find you! And now here we are!"

She stuck the spoon in the bowl and rested her chin in her hands, eyes sparkling as she waited for me to take a bite.

Once again, I froze. It was only a combination of pride and the conviction that I couldn't escape this girl(?) that kept me from bolting. I might have stayed like that for the rest of the lunch period if I didn't feel Starlight and Lyra reach under the table and give my hands a reassuring squeeze.

I cleared my throat and stuttered, "I-I'm not h-hungry right now."

Pinkie's smile fell into a pout, "Alright, but you have to Pinkie Promise that you'll eat it later today."

The thought of touching her made my skin crawl, but I would've done almost anything to make her leave. I lifted up my shaking hand and extended my pinky finger.

Pinkie laughed, "Not that kind of pinky promise, silly billy! Like this: Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!" her words were accompanied by her crossing her heart, waving her hand in the air, and pretending to stick something in her eye. "That's a Pinkie Pie promise! Now you do it!"

If I hadn't had all of my attention on Pinkie, I would've noticed Starlight and Lyra's panicked expressions. As it was, I mindlessly mimicked her movements and repeated her words.

Pinkie clapped, "Yay! Make sure to tell me how you like it later! I've got to get back to class now, bye bye!"

The pink abomination then zoomed out of the lunch room at inhuman speed.

As soon as I was sure she was gone, I grabbed the bowl and stood up, but was halted by two hands gripping my left arm tightly. I worried that Pinkie had appeared out of the aether again, but luckily, it was just Starlight and Lyra.

"What are you doing?" Lyra asked, an unusually serious expression on her face.

"Throwing this away," I replied. "No way I'm eating anything she made."

"No," said Starlight. "You made a Pinkie Promise. You DON'T want to break a Pinkie Promise."

I instantly planted myself back in that chair. If Starlight of all people was scared of breaking a Pinkie Promise, I'd force myself to suck it up and eat the pudding. I...do have to admit that the banana pudding was really good, but I'll be damned if I lower my guard just because that devilspawn is a wiz in the kitchen.

I spent the rest of the day constantly on edge, always afraid that Pinkie Pie would come out of nowhere and drag my soul to Hell.


When fourth period ended, I went to the Vice-Principal's office.

"Ah, Mr. Daniels. You're right on time. Close the door and have a seat," said Luna.

I wordlessly complied with the order.

"There are several topics I would like to cover in this meeting. I think it would be prudent to start with..." she trailed off and studied me more closely. "...Are you alright? You look quite pale."

"I met Pinkie Pie today," I said, my tone robotic.

Vice Principal Luna chose her next words carefully, "I see. I am well aware of Miss Pie's mannerisms. Did she, perhaps, upset you in some way?"

I immediately broke down crying.

I spent the next half-hour bawling in her office, rambling about how scary that girl is in halting sentences. Despite being visibly caught off guard by my sudden and excessive display of emotion, Luna's response was the definition of professional. She listened to my sob story, reassured me that everything was going to be alright, and told me that she would not allow Pinkie to flay my mind. I don't know why I believed her, but I instinctually knew that if anyone could bind the pink demon, it would be the Vice-Principal.

Dad came to pick me up just after Luna scheduled another one-on-one meeting with me. When he saw how red my eyes were, he assumed I'd had another meltdown, and recommended getting me an appointment with a therapist. I simply responded that I'd met a crazy girl at school that day, and he hugged me right there in the parking lot. After telling me how proud he was of me for being brave, he took me to get ice cream, and spent the rest of the drive home giving me survival tips.

And yeah, that's the story of how I met Pinkie Pie. AKA: the scariest experience of my life.

...

Yes, she IS that scary.

...

Stop laughing! If you're going to keep mocking me, then I'll just leave!

...

That's what I thought.

Okay, I've covered everything you'll need to know for context: my first day, meeting Starlight and Lyra, how I kneecapped my reputation, meeting the Principal and Vice-Principal, and my encounter with the pink demon. It's time to get into why you're actually here. Grab a drink and get comfortable, because the story of the Fall Formal is a long one.

Author's Note:

Surprise! Early chapter release! It ended up being longer than I originally envisioned, but it was so fun to write that work proceeded more quickly than usual. Expect at least a two-week wait before the next update.

And with this chapter, the introduction arc is officially over. The characters have been introduced and the stage has been set. Next up: the Fall Formal arc!