• Published 11th Jul 2023
  • 1,308 Views, 47 Comments

Operation Applestar - Andrew Joshua Talon



Twilight's friends try to matchmake for her to help her handle stress better. They hook her up with Big Macintosh. This won't lead to any problems, will it?

  • ...
8
 47
 1,308

It Begins

Post "Lesson Zero"...

Rarity looked around at her assembled friends in her boutique. Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy all sat around the table. Opalescence cleaned herself in the background, as the white coated unicorn cleared her throat.

"All right... How has Twilight been since... The Incident?" She asked carefully.

"We were all there, Rarity, it's not like you have to pretend," Dash scoffed. Rarity snorted.

"Some of us like to have a sense of propriety, thank you!"

"Mares, please," Applejack sighed, scowling at the two, "bicker on yer own time? Pinkie Pie? Yer report?"

Pinkie Pie saluted with her hoof, barely able to keep from bouncing out of her chair.

"Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I helped bake muffins with Twilight yesterday! And I kept her from even looking at a quill! Except for the times when I went to the bathroom! Or had a snack! Or saw something floating out of the corner of my eyes-!"

"Yes, thank you Pinkie," Rarity deadpanned with an indulgent smile, "for my part, I took her on a spa day. We talked a great deal-Did you know she didn't know anything about cucumbers for their beautifying properties?"

"Ah, so that's why she was readin' that frou-frou book when I watched her," Dash huffed, "it was so boring!"

"Different strokes, different folks, Dash," Applejack interjected, resigned to acting as peacemaker for the evening, "Fluttershy?"

"Uh, oh, um, I uh... I visited and read some of my Neighponese manega with her," Fluttershy said softly, "she-she seemed to like it."

"What a surprise," Dash deadpanned.

"But-But you liked it too, Dash! Um, I mean, you did," Fluttershy mumbled. Dash patted her oldest friend on the shoulder with a smile.

"I like the actiony ones with the explosions and going Super Stallion and ninjas! You like a lot of weird ones with romance and those tentacles-"

"Tentacles?" Rarity deadpanned. Fluttershy blushed heavily and pulled back behind her mane more.

"Oooh! I love those ones!" Pinkie giggled. "though the one where the guy grows out of a pony's forehead was just a little boring for me!"

"Okay, and Spike told me he'd been making sure she got sleep and food properly," Applejack said, "but honestly, ah feel terrible ah didn't notice how... Sheltered she is! She gets so involved in her studies and her work she can just explode and lose it!"

"Yes, that's positively dreadful, isn't it Applejack?" Rarity deadpanned. Applejack flushed, but nodded.

"We're all guilty of it," she said, and all the mares winced slightly, "but we need to do better to look out fer one another."

"Building healthy habits takes time, and discipline," Rarity mused, "but having somepony to help with that is good. And poor Twilight is such a shut in!"

"I know!" Pinkie Pie sighed, "she gets so hyperfocused! Like nothing else matters! Like, this one stallion asked her out to a cafe and she just asked what for! He got sooo intimidated he just left!"

"Wait, who asked her out?" Dash asked, leaning forward.

"Yes, who?" Rarity asked, also keen on the gossip.

"Caramel!" Pinkie said brightly. "I got him two double fudge and walnut cupcakes to cheer him up afterwards, poor guy!"

"Boy howdy," Applejack chuckled, "sounds like Big Mac. He just kind of pretends he can't speak or has a cold when some mare chats him up! Daisy just ran off crying!"

"Huh? Is that why he always brushes me off for weight lifting?" Dash asked. "I'm not asking him out!"

"Well, that, and Ah think his injury last year is the only time he's taken some time off fer fun in years!" Applejack chuckled. "He's such a workaholic!"

"Aw, that's a real shame," Pinkie Pie said cheerfully, "Big Mac loves reading still, doesn't he? Just like Twilight!"

"When he gets the time to, sure," Applejack says, "but he's always so busy, makin' more work for himself..."

Rarity's eyes sparkled, and she grinned devilishly. Like she did when she'd just hit upon some new inspiration.

"Idea~!" She cried.

Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy latched onto the idea at the same time. All four mares looked over at Applejack. Pinkie Pie was grinning, Rainbow Dash was smug, Fluttershy was blushing, and Rarity beamed like the sun.

Applejack blinked once or twice... Before she scowled.

"Wha-What are you-?!"

"Think about it, Applejack," Rarity began, "Twilight has never even been on a date before! She has so little social experience!"

"And Big Mac is handsome and shy," Dash pointed out.

"It would be good for both of them!" Pinkie Pie cheered.

"Um... Y-Yes," Fluttershy muttered.

"Are you kidding?!" Applejack demanded. "Big Mac's only been on, two or three dates with Cheerilee before they called it quits!"

"Which is two or three dates more than Twilight's had~!" Rarity said, sing song. "Come now! It's absolutely perfect! Twilight gets to gain more social experience, Big Macintosh does too, they both get to relax-"

"You get to play out yer little matchmakin' fantasies," Applejack deadpanned.

Rarity huffed and stuck her nose in the air.

"Say what you will, I did get Ditzy Doo and the Doctor together!"

"By shoving them into a closet together!" Pinkie Pie said cheerfully.

"Wait, that's how you did it?!" Dash demanded, scowling over at Rarity. "You said you arranged for all sorts of complicated schemes and steps to get them together!"

"Well I did!" Rarity said, waving her hoof, "but ultimately none of that worked because they were both too dense. So I shoved them into a closet together and locked the door! It worked, didn't it?"

"Yeah but that's more like something I would do!" Dash whined.

"Which just means that one should use the right tool for the right situation," Rarity sniffed.

"Yer not locking my big brother and Twilight in a closet!" Applejack declared.

"No, no, of course not!" Rarity insisted.

A beat of silence followed, as Opalescence rubbed herself up against Rarity's hindlegs.

"Unless we ran out of options," Rarity added.

"RARITY!" Applejack growled.

"What's the problem, AJ?" Dash demanded. "You know Big Mac's a stand up stallion! He won't hurt Twilight! And Twilight's not gonna do anything to him-!"

"The 'Want It, Need It' spell?" Applejack deadpanned.

"Welllll... We're just trying to avoid that happening again, right?" Dash suggested. "Besides! We can follow them around and make sure it goes well! If they like it, they keep dating. If they don't, they stop, and we try somepony else! What's the big deal?"

Applejack sighed.

"Ah jest don't like bein' deceptive and manipulative like this."

"What's deceptive about it?" Rarity asked, scooting up right next to Applejack and putting a foreleg around her shoulders, "you just tell Big Macintosh he's to take Twilight out to a social engagement! Which this is! I make sure Twilight goes with him! We keep an eye on them, make sure nothing bad happens! They have fun, they both relax, we all win!"

"Come on, please Applejack?" Pinkie pleaded, "I wanna try matchmaking! It seems like so much fun! Except when the server crashes and you can't get anything but newbs."

Fluttershy blinked.

"Newbs?" She asked.

"Yeah! Nubian Bulbs! Newbs!" Pinkie explained, "Saucier's waiter crashed and dumped a lot of those bulbs all over my triple decker chocolate cake and let me tell you, that wasn't good at all! I mean, I still ate it since it was chocolate coated but UGH! So tough!"

"Come on Applejack, we all want to avoid Twilight going Twilight again," Dash pleaded, "this'll help loosen her up! If it goes well~."

"Yer a lewd pony," Applejack grumbled.

"Am I wrong?" Dash asked challengingly.

Applejack sighed.

"Fine... Let's do it."

"YES!" Rarity cried, pumping her hooves in mid air, "Operation AppleStar is GO!"

"Wait, I thought we were going with Operation TwiMac?" Pinkie asked.

"We voted on this, Pinkie, it's AppleStar," Rarity said patiently.

"But nopony wanted to go with Operation Super Mega Awesome?" Dash growled.

"You've used that one too many times, um, Dash, no offense," Fluttershy muttered.

"Who needs any other name for an operation?!"

Applejack sighed, and pulled down her hat over her eyes to forestall her headache.

She wanted this to work out well... But with this crew of ponies on it, how well could it possibly go?

... Darnit, she was going to find out.


Big Macintosh certainly didn't dislike his life. He loved his family, his town, and working hard. He even enjoyed the intellectual side of his farm work.

And also scoffed at anypony who dismissed it out of hoof. The books of mathematics, apple botany, geology, soil science, the weather, and the numerous datasheets of apple yields, species, apples processed, and numerous other factors spread out on the work desk in the office area attested to this fact.

Maybe any Earth Pony could grow food, but it took hard work and rigorous scientific acumen to grow enough to feed an entire town.

That said, it wasn't that work was all there was in his life. He had gone on some dates with Cheerilee. But in the end, they decided they were better off as friends. They just wanted different things out of life.

Cheerilee had been ready to settle down right then and there. Big Macintosh just... Wasn't.

Not that he didn't want foals some day. He really did. But not now. Not yet.

They were just in different stages of life, and after a talk, the two had agreed to break up. No hard feelings.

He just... Found himself with a lot more extra time to do work. Catch up on things. That's all.

"Big Mac!"

Big Mac looked up from the data tables he had been working on, his large right hoof hovering over their old fashioned adding machine. Applejack stood there, scowling at him.

"Eeyup?" He asked.

"It's high time you got yer plot off this farm and out doin' something fun," she stated.

Big Mac's stoic expression tightened, just a bit.

"Ah got too much work to do-"

"You've been revisin' these life tables fer the crops nine times now," Applejack stated, picking up one datasheet and holding it up in front of him, "ah may not be as learned as you on these, but ah can tell busywork when ah see it!"

Big Mac cleared his throat.

"Would you believe I also need to work out the tax returns-?"

"Golden Gains already complimented me on yer 'excellent work as usual' on those," Applejack stated, her scowl unbroken. Big Mac coughed.

"Ah... The east field-"

"Big Mac, come on," Applejack said more softly, her face now gentle, "what's wrong?"

Big Mac sighed, and looked over the books and datasheets and tables.

"Ah suppose that whole... Incident with Miss Sparkle and the town is weighin' on me," he said.

"Come on now," Applejack said gently, "it ain't like we ain't used to weird stuff happenin' around here-"

"You are. Me? Ah..." He shook his head. "Ah don't like bein' the center of attention, Jack. Ya know that."

"Ah know," Applejack said with a nod, "but stayin' cooped up in here ain't the way, neither. You gotta go out again."

She smiled slyly.

"Sides... Ya gotta return Twilight's doll."

Big Mac winced.

"Ah... Er... Do ah really have to? Cain't I just mail it back to her?"

"You ain't gonna hold that against her, are ya?" Applejack asked. "Ah mean... Okay, so she went crazy. Happens to the best of us. And ah know right now, she's probably feelin' as low as you are about the whole thing. Even more so."

Big Mac sighed, and bowed his head.

"Ah will return it, ah will," he said, "but ah... Ya know... Cain't see it bein' a good time fer either of us."

Applejack opened her mouth... When Granny Smith hobbled in, chuckling.

"Ah now, Big Mac! There's a better way t' go about it!"

Big Mac looked at his grandmother in curiosity.

"Go about what?"

"As I recall, Miss Sparkle is quite the whiz with many an intellectual thing," she said, "you can go over there wit' your life tables and talk to her. See what she can do to help out. She gets to do somethin' nice fer us, you get out to talk to a mare, we get a genius to help us with our farmwork, and you can resolve that whole mind control debacle! All at once!"

Big Mac's eyes widened.

"Ah... Ah think that might work, Granny!" He said. Granny hoofed over the Smarty Pants doll, and Big Mac took it.

"Don't ferget, bring her a pie or two, there's a few fresh ones on the window sill," Granny urged, "and comb yer mane! You look a fright!"

"Yes Granny!" Big Mac said, getting up and practically galloping off with the doll and some of his paperwork. Applejack slowly turned and stared at Granny Smith, who chuckled quietly.

"Ah may hate that dang title those stuffy nobles gave me, but ah do know a thing or two about bein' a Baroness," she said. She winked.

"Ah have a lot to learn, eh Granny?" Applejack asked, grinning widely.

"Plenty of time fer it, dear!"


Rarity and Rainbow Dash approached Golden Oaks Library,

"Now, remember Rainbow Dash," Rarity stated primly, "let me do all the talking."

Dash looking over at her skeptically.

"If you're going to do all the talking, exactly why do I have to come along with you?" Dash asked.

"Because we should both be there for Twilight to help her out, and as long as you're with me," and Rarity smiled warmly at Dash, "Twilight will not suspect that anything is going on!"

Dash nodded... And then scowled.

"Hey! What's that supposed to mean?!"

"It just means she won't be on guard," Rarity soothed.

"You make it sound like I'm dumb!"

"Nopony says that, Rainbow Dash," Rarity chuckled.

"You said it last night!" Dash scowled harder.

Rarity had the decency to blush. She cleared her throat, then held up a concillary hoof.

"My sincerest apologies, Rainbow Dash. That was uncalled for," she said gently, "let me put it this way: As the Element of Loyalty, why would Twilight suspect you of anything underhoofed?"

Rainbow Dash considered the matter, turning it over in her head, before she nodded.

"That sounds better. Why didn't you lead with that?"

"Believe me, I'll be asking myself that for a long time to come," Rarity muttered to herself, knocking on the door. Twilight opened the library, smiling at them.

"Hello Rarity! Hello Rainbow Dash!"

"Hey Twi! Hey Spike!"

"Hello Twilight! Hello Spike! So good to see you!" Rarity gushed, trotting in. Dash lingered, looking around. Not seeing Big Mac, she flew inside. Spike was ready with a nice spread of snacks, and with a grateful smile she dug in.

"I made your coffee just the way you like it, Rarity!" Spike gushed back, pulling out Rarity's chair for her. She smiled warmly at the little dragon, and took her seat.

"Why thank you Spike! You're becoming quite the gentledrake!"

"Th-Thanks Rarity," Spike whimpered, blushing down to his pointed toes. He turned and headed back up the stairs, practically walking on air. "I'll uh, I'll be in my room if you need anything!"

Rarity didn't bother to hide her smile. She did care for that sweet little dragon, very much.

"Mmm! Thanks Spike! Thanks Twilight! This is great!" Dash said, as Twilight sat at the table.

"Well, I figured that you two would be showing up today," Twilight said. Dash paused in her gobbling, as Rarity merely raised an eyebrow.

"Oh?" Rarity asked. Twilight nodded.

"You've been coming over in shifts to keep an eye on me during my vacation," she explained, "it seemed logical you both would show up together. It was next in the sequence."

Rarity mentally frowned. She couldn't quite see the pattern... But then Twilight was a genius. What else might she discern?

Well, nothing for it now.

"Woah! Okay, that's... Kind of cool but also creepy," Dash observed. "And hey! We are not keeping an eye on you!"

Twilight sighed and shook her head.

"I'm not angry at you over it, really! I mean... I did nearly cause a catastrophe."

She looked down glumly at her own plate.

"Come on, we talked things out," Dash said soothingly, "and we're spending time with you because you need it! You get so wrapped up in your own world you kind of... Uh..."

"Go nuts?" Twilight asked flatly. Dash winced, and looked anywhere but right at Twilight.

"Well... Um... Yes."

"And I thought Applejack was blunt," Rarity muttered, sipping her coffee. She looked over at Twilight.

"We can keep an eye on you, and help you because we love you, at the same time," Rarity said gently. "And Dash is... Being blunt-"

"Which is good," Twilight said with a nod, "I hate things being sugarcoated for me. I... I did some wrong things. And I need to face up to that. I just don't know enough about the magic of friendship as I should."

Rarity saw her chance, and seized it with both hooves.

"Which is precisely why you need to branch out, Twilight. Expand your horizons," Rarity stated, baiting the trap. Twilight looked at her curiously.

"How do you mean?"

"What I mean is, you have had precious little social contact before you came to Ponyville," Rarity said, "cooped up in your library all the time! Friendship doesn't happen in a vacuum, after all! You, as a scholar, must appreciate context, and how important it is!"

Twilight's eyes lit up, already thinking things through.

"Of course...! My entire approach to friendship is still so... Sterile! Like it's a specimen in a laboratory!"

"It's something you have to feel through, not think through! I mean, not all the time," Dash contributed. Rarity held back a glare. Sure, she'd told Dash to let her do the talking, but it was making Twilight's enthusiasm rise.

That, and as much of a risk taker as Dash may have been? Rarity was exactly the same on the social battlefield.

"One of the best ways to do this," Rarity said, "is to try something new. Something outside of your comfort zone. What's one thing you have never done, socially?"

"Well... Uh... Lots of things," Twilight admitted. "I never went to any parties I was invited to. I never talked to any of the dignitaries at the castle."

"Yes...?" Rarity prompted. Patience, patience...

"Ever go out on a date?" Dash asked with a little grin. Twilight promptly blushed, and shook her head rapidly.

"N-No! No! Never!"

Gotcha! Rarity thought.

"Then that seems like the perfect place to start!" Rarity said brightly.

"B-But I'm the Princess's apprentice!" Twilight sputtered. Rarity shook her head.

"So? You're still a mare. And dating is a big part of friendship."

"It is?" Twilight asked, curious. Rarity nodded sagely.

"Of course! I've gone out with a number of gentlestallions. Romance is something everypony is interested in, in some way! And it affects everypony, too! After all, without romance, none of us would be here!"

Rarity smiled slyly over her cup of coffee.

"And we both know that the vast majority of literature checked out of your library consists of romance novels, Twilight," Rarity pointed out. Twilight flushed, and nodded.

"I... That's true..."

"Mushy stuff," Dash groaned, but she did nod, "still! Dates are a lot of fun, Twilight! Or can be. I've been on a couple bad ones. But that's also something you can talk about with your friends, cause you learn more about yourself! And what you want!"

"I... Huh..." Twilight rubbed her chin thoughtfully, "you're right! I mean, I overheard mares talking about their romances and crushes... I never had any interest in it! But given how much everypony focuses on it, I should learn more about it!"

"Wonderful!" Rarity clopped her hooves together with a bright beam. Inside, of course, she was cackling.

"But where do I start?" Twilight asked anxiously. "And, um... Well... I'm not exactly much of a looker-"

"Nonsense!" Rarity insisted, reaching out to rest a reassuring hoof over Twilight's, "you look just fine! You could use some work, of course, but being beautiful is a skill like any other! A little work, and your own natural beauty will emerge!"

She nodded to Rainbow Dash.

"Take Rainbow Dash. You might mistake her for some uncouth, vulgar tomboy-"

"That's because I am, and proud of it!"

"But she has a wild, savage beauty!" Rarity went on, waving a hoof dramatically. "One that, with the right beauty applications, shines and makes her like unto a goddess of the skies!"

"Goddess of the skies, huh?" Dash hummed. "I kind of like it!"

"But!" Rarity leaned forward, smiling at Twilight, "it all starts... With a bit of courage. Might I suggest you try asking out a stallion... Today! Just to see how it goes?"

Twilight turned so bright red, for a moment Rarity was afraid she might burst into flames. It wouldn't be the first time.

"Ask-Ask-Ask them out?! How?! Who?! I-I can't just do that!" Twilight squeaked, shaking her head. "I-I-I-I don't know-How would I-What do I-?!"

"Come on, Twi, you've faced down Nightmare Moon and Discord and a hydra!" Dash said, "what's asking out a stallion on a date compared to that?"

"Hmm... Tell you what," Rarity said, smiling, "we'll stick around, and help you out! When a stallion comes in... You do like stallions, right?"

Twilight nodded.

"Y-Yes?"

"GOOD! If you were into mares, that would have been much easier. I'd have just asked Dash to take you out," Rarity said.

"HEY! I got enough of that in Flight School!" Dash protested, "Why does everyone think I'm a fillyfooler?! It's prejudice, I tell you! I could get any stallion I wanted, any time, any where I wanted! I-I just don't want to right now!"

"As I was saying," Rarity stated, more loudly than before, "we'll stay with you, and when a stallion comes in, we'll help you ask him out!"

"I... You really think I can do it?" Twilight asked, still very red. Rarity beamed.

"Of course!"

The door opened again. Big Macintosh entered, looking around. His eyes locked onto Twilight and her friends. He coughed.

"Miss Sparkle," he rumbled in his deep voice, "ah can come back later if-"

"No!" Rarity cried, beaming warmly, "not at all, Big Macintosh! What can Twilight do for you?"

Twilight squeaked, her blush intensifying as she looked around Big Mac, but not right at him.

"Y-Y-Yes! Yes! What-What can I do for you, Big Mac?" Twilight managed.

"Ah... Ah was hoping you could help me with somethin," Big Mac began, "and uh... Also I wanted to return something to you..."

He rummaged in his saddlebags, and held out the ragged Smarty Pants doll. Twilight's eyes widened, and she shook her head.

"Uh, I mean, I-I appreciate it... I-I just... I mean, you didn't have to-It caused so much trouble-!"

Dash almost made to open her mouth, but Rarity quickly silenced her with a kick to the shin. Dash shot Rarity a dirty look as the white unicorn beamed at Twilight encouragingly. Twilight blinked, considered, thought it through...

"I... Thank you," she said, "I really appreciate it. So uh..."

She got out of the chair and trotted over to Big Mac.

She smiled as she took the doll in her telekinetic grip, still not looking directly at Big Mac.

"So uh... You needed help with something?" Twilight asked quietly. Big Mac nodded, and rummaged again in his saddle bags.

"Ah need yer help with some... Datasheets for the farm," Big Mac explained. Twilight's eyes lit up, and she managed to look Big Macintosh in the eyes for once during the entire conversation.

"Really? Datasheets? What kind?"

"All kinds," Big Mac said, "uh..." He looked askance at Dash and Rarity. "If you don't mind...?"

"Not at all, darling~!" Rarity said, ushering Dash out of her seat, "we'll be in the kitchen if you need us~!"

"Th-Thanks," Twilight managed.

Naturally, both Rarity and Dash went around the corner... And then peeked in on the two ponies through some bookshelves.

"Is it a top secret Apple family tradition?" Twilight asked. Big Mac shook his head.

"Not exactly, jest..."

He sighed, and held out an old notebook to her with his teeth. Twilight took hold of it with her telekinesis, and opened it up. Her eyes widened as she began to read through it.

There were countless illustrations of apples: Their seeds, their internal structure, and their anatomy. There were tables of numbers on variables and parameters for various apple species, ranging from drought resistance to types of pollinators. And so many charts and equations...!

"Ah'm workin' out the standard deviation of the year's mean to determine how many cider apples we can harvest. Ah do it every year," Big Macintosh explained, sounding a bit more confident,"within one deviation is just 68 percent of the apples we could have, and within two deviations is 95 percent. We've rarely had a harvest year in which we could both harvest and process 95 percent of our good cider apples. We've never yet had a year where we were able to harvest more, but someday, when there's more of us to work the fields and orchards, we just might. I'm not even gonna try and tell y'all about how hard it is to try and find variance among these here samples of our hay or other crops."

Twilight's jaw dropped, as she gazed up at Big Mac in awe.

"You... You use statistical analysis in your farming?" She gasped.

Big Mac nodded.

"Eeyup... But uh... Ah don't like it getting around," he murmured, "ah hate being seen as... Overeducated. Makes other Earth ponies think ah'm putting on airs."

"Oh," Twilight murmured, drooping a little. Big Mac shook his head with a small smile.

"But uh... Yer good with this kind of thing, right Miss Sparkle? It would mean a lot to me... To us, if you helped us out?"

"I'm afraid I'm a little rusty on my mathematics," Twilight admitted, but her smile was much warmer, "but I'd be happy to help you however I can! It's the least I can do!"

"Well... Thank you kindly," Big Mac said, trotting with Twilight to the far bookshelves.

Rarity and Dash retreated into the kitchen, where Rarity was grinning.

"This is going better than I thought it would!" Rarity giggled.

"Ugh," Dash groaned, "I can't believe he's an egghead! To think he's a nerd too!"

"All the better for our plans, Rainbow Dash," Rarity stated, "having common interests is good! It also gives Twilight some common ground! One she may have not had for some time."

"Yeah yeah, but if they start making out over a math book, I'm out of here."

Author's Note:

I'm just getting back to my roots and writing some fun romantic comedy. And for a pairing that could always use more love. I hope you enjoy!